• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Feel sorry for the people who will undoubtedly be disappointed by low stock at Target/Best Buy

I'll be showing up at my local Target to see if I can get the mini.
5% off with my Redcard and $40 GC with purchase if all goes well.

Then I'll just return the one I get from Apple.

Zeth

I'm sure it's totally possible, it's just a recurring theme with every launch: lots of people unhappy with Best Buy/Target

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm sure it's totally possible, it's just a recurring theme with every launch: lots of people unhappy with Best Buy/Target

Oh, yeah. That is true, and expected.

This launch as a whole feels very subdued though.
I realize a spec bump and a new smaller model with higher than expected price probably doesn't get a lot of press though.

asdad123

Score!

Just got a free red iPad mini cover to go with my black iPad. Also switched it to the 4g juuuuust in case. Ill just add it to my ATT plan for $10 bucks if I need it. Last one I had was verizon and I didnt want to pay $30 a month for the internet.

giga

Reviews hitting.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/30/3576178/apple-ipad-mini-review

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/apple-ipad-mini-review/

And it does raise the floor here. There's no tablet in this size range that's as beautifully constructed, works as flawlessly, or has such an incredible software selection. Would I prefer a higher-res display? Certainly. Would I trade it for the app selection or hardware design? For the consistency and smoothness of its software, or reliability of its battery? Absolutely not. And as someone who's been living with (and loving) Google's Nexus 7 tablet for a few months, I don't say that lightly.

The iPad mini hasn't wrapped up the "cheapest tablet" market by any stretch of the imagination. But the "best small tablet" market? Consider it captured.

d3s6320.jpg

d3s6237.jpg

I posted this in another thread, but chipmunk.nl is listing these as the specs for the mini. If true, they're overclocking the chip. YAY.

Model introduced: 2010
Serial number: REMOVED
Request: If your iPad is made in Brazil then please let us know.
Production year: 2012
Production week: 42 (October)
Name: iPad
ModelCode: ipad
Group1: iPad
Group2: Mini
Generation: 1
Machine Model: iPad3,4
CPU speed: 1.23GHz
Screen size: 7.9 inch
Screen resolution: 1024x768 pixels
Colour: Black

Based on those pics in the post above mine, I chose wisely when I picked black. I got the smart cover in the mail today and just judging my it's size, this thing is going to be my new handheld gaming device. Absolutely perfect size for it. Essentially the size of a dvd case. Hopefully the screen lives up to the Engadget/Verge hype.

9.0?

I don't need this because I love my "Old" New iPad and the screen is the perfect size, BUT.... yeah.

The iPad mini is getting mighty difficult to resist.

dwebo

Verge's Negatives:
Screen is lower resolution than the competition
Can sometimes be a little awkward to hold
Expensive

Two of these are massively important to the smaller tablets. One is massively important to the larger tablets.

MRORANGE

Hype! it better be delivered on Friday or things will get broken!

Only negatives:

- 512mb ram
- resolution

this will be the next thing that every child/student/mom will have.

Score matches the text and video just fine. He points out the issues and then pretty much says but who gives a shit because the rest is so fucking hot.

Score matches the text and video just fine. He points out the issues and then pretty much says but who gives a shit because the rest is so fucking hot.

No, the score doesn't match it just fine to me. To you it may. To say it does unequivocally is silly. The negatives being screen resolution and ability to hold the device are what I'd consider to be huge strikes against any device. It certainly was for me with the original Kindle Fire (which deserves nothing higher than a 4/10).

MRORANGE

In GeekBench results it does better than the ipad 3.

damn.

Although ipad 3 has all those pixels to push and GeekBench is cpu focused, but yeah so glad I waited instead of getting the iPad 3

No, the score doesn't match it just fine to me. To you it may. To say it does unequivocally is silly. The negatives being screen resolution and ability to hold the device are what I'd consider to be huge strikes against any device. It certainly was for me with the original Kindle Fire (which deserves nothing higher than a 4/10).
he isn't comparing the ipad mini to an imaginary ipad mini that has higher resolution and cheaper price though. He's comparing it to other tablets in the same range. And he clearly says in text, yes he'd like higher resolution but would he give up everything else he loves about it, no. And the things he does love about it were enough for him to give it a higher score than other devices.

I don't see why that's so bad.

giga

So this is interesting.

hZkY+

Well then…

iR7V+

I posted this in another thread, but chipmunk.nl is listing these as the specs for the mini. If true, they're overclocking the chip. YAY.

Model introduced: 2010
Serial number: REMOVED
Request: If your iPad is made in Brazil then please let us know.
Production year: 2012
Production week: 42 (October)
Name: iPad
ModelCode: ipad
Group1: iPad
Group2: Mini
Generation: 1
Machine Model: iPad3,4
CPU speed: 1.23GHz
Screen size: 7.9 inch
Screen resolution: 1024x768 pixels
Colour: Black

Based on those pics in the post above mine, I chose wisely when I picked black. I got the smart cover in the mail today and just judging my it's size, this thing is going to be my new handheld gaming device. Absolutely perfect size for it. Essentially the size of a dvd case. Hopefully the screen lives up to the Engadget/Verge hype.
The mini is iPad2,5. iPad3,4 is the 4th gen iPad.

Appleman

Really need to stop inadvertently reading the comments on these reviews. Just the worst.

^^ Neat about the stereo speakers, Engadget's review specifically says mono

he isn't comparing the ipad mini to an imaginary ipad mini that has higher resolution and cheaper price though. He's comparing it to other tablets in the same range. And he clearly says in text, yes he'd like higher resolution but would he give up everything else he loves about it, no. And the things he does love about it were enough for him to give it a higher score than other devices.

I don't see why that's so bad.

He compares it to all iPads. When the company making the product also trademarks RESOLUTIONARY and then releases a low res tablet with a 2 year old processor, that's not a 9 to me, regardless of how awesome the app store and fit and finish of the case is. Sounds like an 7/8 to me, which is really all I'm looking for in a small tablet at this point. I wish it had the higher res. of the competition, but I'll make do. I have Kindle for reading, so no huge loss there. I'm mainly using the mini for gaming and light browsing. At this point I see much more value in the Mini as a dedicated gaming handheld than I do the Vita and the 3DS (yes, that's the sound of Game-Gaf's collective head exploding).

Really need to stop inadvertently reading the comments on these reviews. Just the worst.

^^ Neat about the stereo speakers, Engadget's review specifically says mono

I tried, but Engadgets idiotic comment alerts that keep popping up make it hard. So many pissy Android fans.

numble

Did anybody see the front page of Amazon calling out Apple for being overpriced and underspecced?

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/kindle/merch/gw/C1_compare-06_final._V402589423_.jpg[img]

Lol! Mono speakers? It gets better![/QUOTE]
Looks like you fell for the marketing lies.

The only way the score fits is is the reviewer believes that the smaller form is better than a big form ipad. Its by no means a bad product but a 9 means a great product; Mini seems to be lacking in that department.

Am sure you can get a slab of concrete with fantastic build quality, but that doesn't mean it gets a 9/10 as a tablet.

NZer

Do we know what the scratch and fingerprint qualities of the white v black ipad mini? It seems to be a big deal for those choosing between the various iphones.

giga

The only way the score fits is is the reviewer believes that the smaller form is better than a big form ipad. Its by no means a bad product but a 9 means a great product; Mini seems to be lacking in that department.

Am sure you can get a slab of concrete with fantastic build quality, but that doesn't mean it gets a 9/10 as a tablet.
You guys care too much about numbers. The reviewer said it's the best small tablet. So, whatever.

You guys care too much about numbers. The reviewer said it's the best small tablet. So, whatever.

Engadget's video review mentions no issues with the black so far, but said they'd be updating the review as they use it more if scuffing does occur.

Vyer

The review score matches the review fine. Clearly whatever the resolution issues the quality of the screen was not a problem,especially weighed against the other factors.

What is the game that guy is playing in the beginning of the verge's video review?

I believe its Punch Quest.

really surprised by the reviews. i am so close to just ordering this online right now..

btw how are some of you getting free smart covers? just asking the online chat reps?

When does Anandtech's review go up? Or Arstechnica? I look forward to theirs.

Me too. It was nice seeing footage of the device in the Verge and Engadget reviews, but I prefer the thoroughness usually found in Anantech's reviews.

really surprised by the reviews. i am so close to just ordering this online right now..

btw how are some of you getting free smart covers? just asking the online chat reps?

I'm not sure what the others are doing, but when my wife ordered the Mini it kept screwing up her order, so the person online that eventually helped her out gave her the choice of two covers. She chose red and black. Not sure why they thought we'd need two, but my wife's not one to argue when offerred free stuff.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ars, probably within a week of the release. Anand's will be up in December.
December? Why so far?

Edit: I hope the store I go to has both the black and white to look at because I really want to compare them before I decide. I wanted white, but the black is really looking good now.

December? Why so far?

Edit: I hope the store I go to has both the black and white to look at because I really want to compare them before I decide. I wanted white, but the black is really looking good now.

They're thorough. They dont just play with something for a day or two and review it like Josh does. Their reviews arent really good for those of us with no patience though. =)

Appleman

December? Why so far?

It's almost a running gag how long it takes Anandtech to put up a review but their reviews are by far the most comprehensive and in-depth. They really take the time to go into minute details about everything from the chips to the displays to the antennas

Meh I admire the thoroughness of anand's reviews but do I really need a 50-page technical breakdown of an everyday device like that packed with detailed benchmarks that bear no relation to actual useability? Probably not but I guess it's good it's there for the super tech grognards.

Top Bottom