• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Bumhead

Banned
I thought they would have sent from China, but for them to leave it this late I guess they are sending overnight from their Ireland distribution place or something? It's a bit weird.

The link dallow_bg posted a couple of pages back showed his package did have an audit trail on it it already from China, even though his status on Apple's website was Preparing for Shipment. I suspect the iPad's themselves will have been in transit prior to today and we'll only get a Shipped email once they actually leave Apple's hands from distribution centers.

Or something. Logistics isn't my strong suit, heh.

Seriously hyped for this product though.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The link dallow_bg posted a couple of pages back showed his package did have an audit trail on it it already from China, even though his status on Apple's website was Preparing for Shipment. I suspect the iPad's themselves will have been in transit prior to today and we'll only get a Shipped email once they actually leave Apple's hands from distribution centers.

Or something. Logistics isn't my strong suit, heh.

Seriously hyped for this product though.

I have a feeling it's going to be really nice in real life, same as the iPhone 5 had to be seen and held really to get how good it was.

Just got Apple to split my order, my customised Mac Mini was delaying it too much. So hopefully it hasn't buggered it all up now haha. Bloke on the phone was great about it all though, said he'd get it prioritised so fingers crossed.

Addnan

So how long before delivery date does it usually become preparing for shipment? iPad is due on 6th November. (UK)

I can't stop myself from continuously checking the website :/

Bumhead

Banned
So how long before delivery date does it usually become preparing for shipment? iPad is due on 6th November. (UK)

I can't stop myself from continuously checking the website :/

Is that for the iPad 4 and not the mini?

My mini order changed to Preparing for Shipment really quickly. Within a day if I remember rightly. It's been on the same status since though.

Addnan

Is that for the iPad 4 and not the mini?

My mini order changed to Preparing for Shipment really quickly. Within a day if I remember rightly. It's been on the same status since though.

Yeah its for the 4. Posted here since there probably more people buying in here.

solarus

I find it weird to directly compare specs of android and ios devices since the OS they run are completely different. Ios seems to be more optimised with the "weak" hardware everyone keeps mentioning.

MajorPain

Currently own the first gen ipad and use it daily. I think now is a good time to upgrade should I go mini or ipad 4th gen? I really like the portability of the mini but love the extra power and screen resolution of the ipad.

What should I do gaf?

LCfiner

Currently own the first gen ipad and use it daily. I think now is a good time to upgrade should I go mini or ipad 4th gen? I really like the portability of the mini but love the extra power and screen resolution of the ipad.

What should I do gaf?

which do you love more? you can't have both right now with Apple.

Zeth

I find it weird to directly compare specs of android and ios devices since the OS they run are completely different. Ios seems to be more optimised with the "weak" hardware everyone keeps mentioning.

Yeah, the Mini benchmarks better than the 3rd gen iPad in several cases. The iPad 2 is still one of the best performing tablets out, there's very little that slows it down. Additionally, the A5 looks like it will be the new 3GS; supported for quite a while, and little that will give it trouble for 2 years or so.

TheExodu5

Banned

Agreed.

For general usage, my Galaxy S3 feels slower than my iPhone 4. It bogs down a lot, and I have to constantly clear the memory to restore performance to acceptable levels.

Bumhead

Banned
Anyone in the UK might want to check their order status. Mine has just switched to Shipped. Not got the confirmation email through yet but noticed the status change one of my regular page refreshes today, and it's updated with order numbers for tracking.

hyp

coming from an iPad 3, I spent a bit of time with my daughter's iPad 2 last night and I quickly forgot about the retina display I had on my 3 due to the apps we were playing together. the mini will look fine especially with a higher ppi. doesn't excuse the price, but whatever – if you want an iPad at that size, there is no competition.

Alchemy

I give up on you sheeps!! Enjoy paying for an overpriced pos!!

I love my Android phone, but this is pretty irrational. I think I would argue with people over Android vs iOS only in the phone space (mainly because of rooting and maximizing usage of a shared LTE connection), but iOS wins pretty easily in the tablet space.

Nitsuj23

I'm completely invested in the Apple ecosystem and for some reason I want to try a Nexus 7. The latest version of Android looks really slick and a higher PPI at $130 cheaper is pretty attractive to me. I do already have an iPhone 5, iPad 3, and Retina MacBook so this thing would be purely for fun. I do like my iPad, but I find myself not using it as often as I think I would if I had a smaller version. If I do like the smaller form factor of the 7" tablets I think I'll give my current iPad to my mom as she's still using my 12" PowerBook G4 from 7-8 years ago haha.

bob page

I'm completely invested in the Apple ecosystem and for some reason I want to try a Nexus 7. The latest version of Android looks really slick and a higher PPI at $130 cheaper is pretty attractive to me. I do already have an iPhone 5, iPad 3, and Retina MacBook so this thing would be purely for fun. I do like my iPad, but I find myself not using it as often as I think I would if I had a smaller version. If I do like the smaller form factor of the 7" tablets I think I'll give my current iPad to my mom as she's still using my 12" PowerBook G4 from 7-8 years ago haha.

I have an iPad 2 and 4S and went for a N7 when it came out. The device itself is great, as is Jelly Bean, but the app selection is pretty awful. As much as I wanted to keep it, I couldn't justify using it with it's app situation.

I give up on you sheeps!! Enjoy paying for an overpriced pos!!

This shit's still tolerated?

Nitsuj23

I have an iPad 2 and 4S and went for a N7 when it came out. The device itself is great, as is Jelly Bean, but the app selection is pretty awful. As much as I wanted to keep it, I couldn't justify using it with it's app situation.

This shit's still tolerated?

I think I'll be fine with a limited app selection. I use my tablet mostly for browsing, fantasy football, and some media before I fall asleep. It'll be nice to have my iPad 3 to go back to if it doesn't work out. I guess I could always return it if I don't use it as much as I think I will. Best case scenario, though, my mom is getting an iPad 3 for Christmas :)

VoxPop

I think I'll be fine with a limited app selection. I use my tablet mostly for browsing, fantasy football, and some media before I fall asleep. It'll be nice to have my iPad 3 to go back to if it doesn't work out. I guess I could always return it if I don't use it as much as I think I will. Best case scenario, though, my mom is getting an iPad 3 for Christmas :)

Yeah it's a good device but the app selection is really really horrid. Basically all scaled up phone apps. My Yahoo fantasy football app can't even go into landscape mode and have the extra stuff (like score comparisons and quick access to the matchups) that's on my iPad version. The form factor is really nice though but I see myself getting rid of it once my Mini arrives.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Or a one way ticket to 40 free Target Bucks. For what it's worth, my wife has had much better luck buying Apple products from Target than she has from Apple. Online or in-store. Cheaper too since she has a Target card.

Yeah, and it doesn't seem like there will be the same "craziness" surrounding the launches of the iPad 2 and 3.

Dazzla

Mine has shipped (UK). Looking at the photos on verge and Engadget has made my mind up. I'll return it for a white one.

One of the videos had an iPhone 5 looking like shit. Mine hasn't gained any more scuffs other than what were already there out of the box, but I'm treating it far more carefully than my 4 which lasted 2 years without a scratch.

I could swear that some of the verge photos had scuffs on the front of the chamfer of the mini as well. It's too damn fragile.

Hm, I wonder if shipments will be delayed due to Sandy in the NE? Went to shoprite this morning and they still don't have lots of stuff like there is pretty much no bread in the store for instance.

This unboxing has me questioning my choice in getting the black mini. Anyone have reasons to counteract that?

If it's anything like the new black/slate iPod touch (and it looks like it is), the black will look very nice in person. Before I returned my iPod touch, I had thought I wanted the white but then checked out the black in person...black was awesome.

I'm sure it will be the same for the Mini. I went with the black mini for that very reason. White always looks better in photos.

Top Bottom