• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Alchemy

Yeah. I used my uncle's original iPad and it defintely stutters on iOS 5.

My iPad 2 was perfect on iOS 5 and 6.
The mini will be a nice speed upgrade for you.

Stop making me wish it was Friday already...

I think at this point I'm going to have to work from home Friday morning so I'm here to sign for it. No shipping info is making it so I can't presign for the package :/

Yeah I doubt that. It's pure marketing plan and simple.

Of course it is. Google's far superior Siri thingy that runs on old iPhones proves that. And it runs better than Siri runs on the iPhone 6. Apple just wants people to constantly upgrade, so they cut features from older products. They're not alone though. It's smart business.

DarkFlow

Banned
Of course it is. Google's far superior Siri thingy that runs on old iPhones proves that. And it runs better than Siri runs on the iPhone 6. Apple just wants people to constantly upgrade, so they cut features from older products. They're not alone though. It's smart business.
Yeah it is smart business, but at least make it a little less obvious. When your still selling a ipad 2 for $400, you might expect something a little better then that when the cheaper mini has it.

lupinko

Woah, Forstall damaged iOS so much that even the future iPhones are screwed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's the obvious upgrade for next year's model. It's going to be a monster.

This year's is lame just like the first iPhone and iPad (comparatively with their successors).

without massive battery making it thicker/heavier? Is there some tech development due that'll make the screens less power hungry? Hope so, that'd be useful for the big ipad too

Sh0k

I have a perfectly working iPad 2 32GB. I'm still trying to decide if I should sell it and get an iPad 4 16GB or an iPad mini 16GB. I wanted to skip one generation before upgrading my iPad and I don't need 32GB at the moment, 16GB will do.

Going to the store tomorrow to see them in person and try to justify the purchase of either one. I'm more than happy with my iPad 2 at the moment, don't need more speed or a retina display, the only thing that always bothered me is how heavy it is. But I'm also thinking that if I sell my iPad 2 and get a new iPad Mini, it will be more than a downgrade than an upgrade.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Bumhead

Banned
Anyone in the UK able to track their order yet?

I have all the despatch emails and information from Apple but the UPS tracking services aren't recognising my numbers yet. I assume it's working through their system but I assumed that would have been at least in motion by now.

Dazzla

Anyone in the UK able to track their order yet?

I have all the despatch emails and information from Apple but the UPS tracking services aren't recognising my numbers yet. I assume it's working through their system but I assumed that would have been at least in motion by now.
Mine still isn't tracking on UPS.

It's the obvious upgrade for next year's model. It's going to be a monster.

This year's is lame just like the first iPhone and iPad (comparatively with their successors).

I think the problem is it takes a beefier GPU to power a retina. That is why the iPad 3 is noticeably heavier/thicker + it's still probably a bit too pricey atm.

Alchemy

I think the problem is it takes a beefier GPU to power a retina. That is why the iPad 3 is noticeably heavier/thicker + it's still probably a bit too pricey atm.

I still think the issue is the resolution will have to equal what the iPad 3/4 retina screen has which is crazy overkill on a 7 inch tablet. That or cause application fragmentation by requiring developers update applications to another resolution.

But I'm also thinking that if I sell my iPad 2 and get a new iPad Mini, it will be more than a downgrade than an upgrade.

The mini is at least on par with the iPad 2 performance wise, so it can't be considered a downgrade unless you want a larger screen. Which goes against the point of the mini. It also has a few upgrades (like the camera).

dc89

Got some hands on time with a iPad Mini today. Stunning device, and the build quality is outstanding. It is simply a joy to have in your hands.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
No info about International availability?

ipadmini_0642.jpg

ipadmini_0643.jpg

TxdoHawk

Kind of want to toss my iPad 3 for one of these, despite the downgrade in screen and specs. The only thing holding me back is delicious full-table Retina goodness on Pinball Arcade, everything else I use would be fine...think I'll stop in a store tomorrow and fondle a demo unit, see what kind of terrible decisions it leads me to. :p

smart covered delivered. Now the wait for tomorrow...which is going to be a looooong day. Might not get back to the house until midnight (after being gone since 7:30am). Do I open it up when I get back or wake up early on Sat? Decisions...

Kind of want to toss my iPad 3 for one of these, despite the downgrade in screen and specs. The only thing holding me back is delicious full-table Retina goodness on Pinball Arcade, everything else I play would be fine.

I just want to see one in person to see how that res looks on the smaller screen. My gf has the 3 and I was at the Apple store today and was looking at the 2 and the difference is so noticeable.

Pachimari

It's gonna be a long week ahead. My Smart Cover arrived yesterday but my iPad mini is arriving next week, probably next weekend. But I'm patient so it's fine.

BFJMX.jpg

It's mine! And I'm loving it.

First impressions: build quality is insane (black). The black has that cool purple/blue tint like the iPhone 5.

This keyboard is way easy to use in portrait mode. The device is a tiny bit heavier than I was expecting though.

MRORANGE

BFJMX.jpg

It's mine! And I'm loving it.

First impressions: build quality is insane (black). The black has that cool purple/blue tint like the iPhone 5.

This keyboard is way easy to use in portrait mode. The device is a tiny bit heavier than I was expecting though.

ugh mobile gaf, can I get rid of it?

I'm glad I went with Black. The front of the Black looks way hotter in person (a lot glossier) than in photographs. And we all know the back of the Black is far superior to the boring silver of the White version.

syoaran

Going to drop down at the 2 Apple stores on my way to work (central London guy here), but I have a feeling the amount of resellers queuing up will likely make it a no-go. Flash backs to the iPhone 4S/5 queues make me shiver

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Going to drop down at the 2 Apple stores on my way to work (central London guy here), but I have a feeling the amount of resellers queuing up will likely make it a no-go. Flash backs to the iPhone 4S/5 queues make me shiver

You might be able to grab an iPad 4. :p

I'm glad I went with Black. The front of the Black looks way hotter in person (a lot glossier) than in photographs. And we all know the back of the Black is far superior to the boring silver of the White version.

I always go with black now simply because I can't stand the little black border visibile between the white border and the screen. That border is there on the black unit, but it's not something you really see since it blends.

I always go with black now simply because I can't stand the little black border visibile between the white border and the screen. That border is there on the black unit, but it's not something you really see since it blends.

See I prefer the front of the white - I had a white Retina iPad and loved it. I think white makes the colours pop more. But I couldn't resist the black mini's back.

Top Bottom