• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

giga

Mix it up.

8145937009_255dcf0f82_b.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The black model of the iPad mini and iPhone 5 make me wish so hard that they would finally use this colorization method on their MacBook models. A Retina MacBook Pro with the bluish-black colored aluminum would be amazing... once they work out the scratching at least.

According to their newsletter the local retailer I was planning on purchasing from will not have power back until tomorrow night. I really hope they have models I can buy without a pre-order. I bought my iPad 2 there and they did pre-orders and on launch day we all stood in line. I don't know if that's relevant this time though.

The black model of the iPad mini and iPhone 5 make me wish so hard that they would finally use this colorization method on their MacBook models. A Retina MacBook Pro with the bluish-black colored aluminum would be amazing... once they work out the scratching at least.

According to their newsletter the local retailer I was planning on purchasing from will not have power back until tomorrow night. I really hope they have models I can buy without a pre-order. I bought my iPad 2 there and they did pre-orders and on launch day we all stood in line. I don't know if that's relevant this time though.

Obviously you meant the Air. Yep, the Air. Paint it black, Apple. Paint It Black.

numble

I guess I will head over to the Apple Store later to check out the mini. Once again, they are only selling them if you win a reservation lottery the day before (Hong Kong).

My bad, meant cover, I'll edit the question.

So black cover with black mini ?

Yeah, black mainly because I don't like the shades of the other colors they chose. I would gladly buy a bright orange smart cover. I think they're missing a golden opportunity by not offering University inspired smart covers.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's dark gray, not black.

I'm going with either dark or light gray. I used a red leather one with my iPad 2 before. Looked great but eventually fell apart.

I don't know how these plastic ones feel like.

So real people are finally getting them. Not liking some of the early feedback.

The screen is a gigantic letdown, but I have no doubt this thing will still sell like hot cakes. Very cute, very well built.

Screen is crisper than iPad 2, but text still obviously pixelated. Not good enough as an ebook reader.

This needs to replace my Kindle. The screen res isn't high enough.

Fortunately I don't want this as an e-reader. Kindle's just can't be beat for that.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So real people are finally getting them. Not liking some of the early feedback.
Fortunately I don't want this as an e-reader. Kindle's just can't be beat for that.

Sounds like the expected feedback.
This obviously isn't a high DPI device.

I was worried it was something serious.

Indeed. I just looked at an ipad 2 again, looks fine. That on a smaller screen, can only be better not worse I guess.

People know what they're buying at the price though. It's as advertised.

numble

I played with one at a reseller a bit ago. Very nice. They didn't have any white display models, though. It's very light, camera is better than iPad 2. And those diamond-cut chamfers!

Pachimari

I'll use mine as an e-reader until Kindle Paperwhite hits Europe. Just sold my Kindle Touch by mistake last month. Also it'll be fine, I'm used to iPad 2 screen resolution and you can make the font bigger in the Kindle app.

I think I will also go try one before I get mine next week.

EDIT: Oh! I found a store who have it in stock! Can I cancel my order at Apple website if it is for delivery next week? I haven't even gotten a receipt from them on mail yet anyway.

Hmm... when I pre-order something from Apple Store, don't they withdraw the money instantly?

Just back from the Apple Store, had around 5 minutes:

Pros

- Surprisingly thin
- Fit and finish, beautiful in the flesh

Cons

- Resolution, admittedly I'm picky but the display is average
- Skinny bezel, it feels off...it's hard to describe
- Balance/Weight, because of the thinness it's not something you can 'pinch hold' for any length of time

Bumhead

Banned
Out for delivery.

Hurry up! :)

Same.

I've got some building work going on today which requires not having access to our internet, so im just sat around at home without a front room and without internet (apart from my phone) waiting for a big brown van to turn up outside the house.

Hoping for a nice, early delivery. At least I can play Arc Squadron then.

Pachimari

I'm heading out to buy one now. Still contemplating 16GB or 32GB. What should I go for?

I'll need it for writing and reading primarily. But I guess Kindle books and just maybe comics and or magazines can quickly fill up. Especially if I decide to put on some of my DVD movies for long trips.

CaLe

I'm waiting in line at my local Apple store. There's only about 20 people here, half of them elderly people bashing non-apple products :)

I'm expecting the line to grow greatly starting at 7:30, otherwise it will be weird as hell. There's almost as many security agents than customers lol

Pachimari

Got mine now and is about to open the box.

I went for a 32GB black.

Also I cancelled my order at Apple as it has 2 weeks waiting time. Even got a Canon AirPrint/Wireless printer for $25 as an offer. :D

+ It is VERY high quality.
+ Wow does the black look beautiful, even tint of blue. It's more pretty than my iPhone 5.
+ It's light. It IS light. LIGHT.
+ I can EASILY hold it with one hand.

Charging now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm waiting in line at my local Apple store. There's only about 20 people here, half of them elderly people bashing non-apple products :)

I'm expecting the line to grow greatly starting at 7:30, otherwise it will be weird as hell. There's almost as many security agents than customers lol

The launch at the largest Apple store in Europe (London) via @mmalex

Top Bottom