• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Also, it might just be me imagining things, but the mini feels faster than my retina iPad ever did. Especially when scrolling through my iTunes Match playlists (used to lag like a bitch with all the cover art).

Also, it might just be me imagining things, but the mini feels faster than my retina iPad ever did. Especially when scrolling through my iTunes Match playlists (used to lag like a bitch with all the cover art).

You're not imagining it. Several people have pointed that out in reviews also. Probably why Apple didn't wait very long to stick a new processor in the 3.

How many GAFers are in this thread right now contemplating visiting their nearest Apple store tomorrow? :p

I will just to check out the mini. It's right down the street anyway. TBH, I've probably purchased the same amount of apps on both Android and iOS so I'm about equally invested in both systems. I do however prefer Android on the phone. Still not convinced about it on a tablet though seeing as there is not much in the way of tablet specific apps...my main issue with Android on tablet.

Alchemy

All the first generation retina devices seem to suffer from really bad lag. It is what happens when one feature (resolution) outpaces the ability to support that feature (GPU rendering).

dc89

Can't freakin' wait.

Yeah, I was insanely impressed at how solid it felt. It really is lovely to just hold, I can completely understand The Verge reviewer when he said that it's just compelling to keep the device close to you and use it often. The build quality and the materials, fit and finish just make you WANT to use it.

wrong thread..

Saw dc57 and thought I was in the football thread/

:lol

BFJMX.jpg

It's mine! And I'm loving it.

First impressions: build quality is insane (black). The black has that cool purple/blue tint like the iPhone 5.

This keyboard is way easy to use in portrait mode. The device is a tiny bit heavier than I was expecting though.

Can comment on the screen? How does it look compared to iPad 2...is at all better looking? Not sure I can adjust going from a 3 to mini lol.

Can comment on the screen? How does it look compared to iPad 2...is at all better looking? Not sure I can adjust going from a 3 to mini lol.

Text definitely looks smoother to me. Other interface elements and icons etc. are a bit jaggy round the edges but that's always gonna be the case without retina.

The screen isn't bothering me in the slightest, and a retina mini would probably be heavier by quite a margin.

I've owned every model of iPad and I never really bonded with any of them - until now. This thing is so cute that I just wanna keep picking it up.

LaneDS

Decided to finally jump in and get an iPad (4th gen). Anyone know if I can just walk into an Apple Store (or other retailers?) tomorrow and pick one up in the morning prior to an evening flight, or should I just order online and wait the week it's suggesting?

Decided to finally jump in and get an iPad (4th gen). Anyone know if I can just walk into an Apple Store (or other retailers?) tomorrow and pick one up in the morning prior to an evening flight, or should I just order online and wait the week it's suggesting?

People in other countries right now are just walking into stores and buying them. Doesn't appear to be much hype for it at all.

TheExodu5

Banned
I always go with black now simply because I can't stand the little black border visibile between the white border and the screen. That border is there on the black unit, but it's not something you really see since it blends.

I actually like having that black line. It highlights the contrast of the screen.

Zeth

Hoping I can pick one up in store this weekend, but I've got one ordered just in case. Can't fucking waiiiit.

TxdoHawk

Just a quick heads-up since I saw people mentioning it earlier: The "buy an iPad, get a $40 gift card" promo Target is running excludes the Mini, unfortunately.

Apath

I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow to check out the Mini. I will not be buying one, but I want to try one out and see how much I like it. I'll probably end up buying one, and if I start to read on it more than my Kindle, I'll sell my Kindle. If not, they're both thin and small enough to where having both on me will hardly ever be a big deal.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I didnt know the Ipad Mini can take this kind of awesome video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CfI5uh02U&hd=1

The ironing is delicious.

Which psychological condition do you have exactly to make you want to fight a battle with a company and consumers, about a product you do not want and will not own? Because you seem more brainwashed than anyone in this thread to be honest.

Either that or it's the equivalent of homophobia, Applephobia, and you are in denial.

The ironing is delicious.

Which psychological condition do you have exactly to make you want to fight a battle with a company and consumers, about a product you do not want and will not own?

Because you seem more brainwashed than anyone in this thread to be honest.

Auto-correct?

Going from a 3 to a mini, am I going to go crazy reading in ibooks?

You're crazy for reading in iBooks instead of the Kindle app regardless. As for the main difference, as long as you're not using a retina device all the time, the Mini's poor PPI won't be much of a factor.

jts

...hate me...
Stereo speakers:

Also, dat aluminium.
What's the purpose of this when most of the time you'll watch stuff on landscape mode and thus all the sound will come from one side anyway?

Serious question, although I appreciate it anyway even if it can only be enjoyed in portrait.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What's the purpose of this when most of the time you'll watch stuff on landscape mode and thus all the sound will come from one side anyway?

Serious question, although I appreciate it anyway even if it can only be enjoyed in portrait.
I guess for the times when it's in portrait mode. (Most of the time for me)
Better than mono nonetheless.

I think so. Games and video will look ok, but text is going to be rough.

Well at least it will look a bit better than the 2. One thing I notice is that the 3 screen always seems more vibrant in pics/videos compared to the 2/mini. I wonder if that is just the brightness setting or what but I always notice that.

For what it's worth, Wal-Mart's computers will start allowing you to buy a Mini at midnight if you don't feel like braving some lines at Apple/BestBuy/Target tomorrow.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Stereo speakers that close together is just...weird. Regardless, if it's worth listening to on an iPad or iPhone, my headphones are on.
It still sounds more open than mono speakers.

I mainly Airplay or direct connect to my home setup for music.
But for countertop recipe videos, I'll enjoy the extra oomph.

I'm okay with my iPad 3 for myself but I'm considering getting a Mini for my girlfriend for her birthday. I'll be interested to see how difficult they're going to be to acquire over the next few weeks.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm far more excited for this than I should be, my first iPad.

I was waiting for the spec-bumped retina one, but I just feel I'll like the form-factor and weight of the Mini better. Can deal with the screen, that will just come later down the road.

Plus I'm a sucker for black metal :)

Top Bottom