• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

CaLe

The launch at the largest Apple store in Europe (London) via @mmalex

LOL ! Oh wow, akward as hell.

The line is growing slowly here, they're opening in about 30 min.

Pleeease God don't make them go out of the store and start clapping

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The launch at the largest Apple store in Europe (London) via @mmalex

I was just thinking that considering Apple are releasing a brand new iPad and iPad mini, there doesn't seem to be that much hype around the Internets, and news of little queues makes me wonder if Apple are concerned. Or maybe the kind of people who will buy a mini aren't the kind to queue on day one?

Appleman

I was just thinking that considering Apple are releasing a brand new iPad and iPad mini, there doesn't seem to be that much hype around the Internets, and news of little queues makes me wonder if Apple are concerned. Or maybe the kind of people who will buy a mini aren't the kind to queue on day one?

I've never really had any trouble walking in day one and getting any version of iPad so I wouldn't say it's unprecedented

Pachimari

It feels amazing in the hands:

0qbYFl.jpg

I really like the back shape of the mini and I can't wait for the iPad 5 to get the same back. The thought of holding my iPad 4 without a case makes my hands hurt.

I posted this in the new iPad thread, but I am at Best Buy right now and there about four or five people only in the store opens up in five minutes

seeing the decent sized lines make me happy since it means i have a better chance of walking in to a store today and grabbing one :p they can get crazy after.

not sure how the sales will be impacted in NYC because of sandy.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've never really had any trouble walking in day one and getting any version of iPad so I wouldn't say it's unprecedented

? where do you live? This is the first time I've heard that a large Apple store didn't get any lines, or sell out stock, for a previous iPad launch...

Addnan

Anyone in the UK ever had anything delivered through SYNCREON. Never heard of them and they are apparently delivering my cases. Last time their website updated was with this.

1st November 2012 @ 11:59:00 BASILDON, ,GB TENDERED FOR DELIVERY

Are they a middle man? Going to stick it to someone else to deliver?

I am really tempted to sell my 32gb ipad 2 and get a mini. I have an iPhone and a mac and I feel like I don't really use my ipad that much at home because I may as well just use my mac, and I think the size could be good for uni and reading books etc, could someone recommend the best way to do this.

I am really tempted to sell my 32gb ipad 2 and get a mini. I have an iPhone and a mac and I feel like I don't really use my ipad that much at home because I may as well just use my mac, and I think the size could be good for uni and reading books etc, could someone recommend the best way to do this.

To sell an iPad 2? eBay, buy/sell thread here on gaf, craigslist. I've had luck using all 3 for selling various things :)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Right, iCloud done.

Really liking this so far. I'm used to Retina since iPhone 4, but this really is no deal breaker for me because of just how damn nice this size and weight is. Just feels so nice to use, very natural indeed to hold and use. If it was retina it would be murder, death, kill on everything.

Build quality is flawless, this is the nicest looking Apple product I've seen for a while. No scuffs at all on my black one for those who were asking about that.

It's all kicking off over in the UK....

UK iPad Mini FRENZY: Queues stretch SEVERAL FEET from till

Astonishing queues at times reached as far as several feet from the tills in Glasgow's Apple store, as the Wi-Fi version of the iPad mini launched in the UK.

Reader Joseph Heenan reported walking in to the Apple Store, buying the device and walking out "within a couple of minutes".

Heenan added that "there were staff standing around with nothing to do".

Appleman

? where do you live? This is the first time I've heard that a large Apple store didn't get any lines, or sell out stock, for a previous iPad launch...

Toronto. Went to our busiest Apple Store (Eaton's Centre) on iPad 3 launch and just walked in and grabbed the one I wanted

Interesting posts about the lines (or lack of). It's also a story on CNN right now - no lines.

I have an iPad and iPhone, and love them both, and I have no interest in the mini. I wonder if people have finally reached the point where they're like "I simply don't have $329 for this right now" or maybe people just can't get excited about it. It has to end sometime.

Pachimari

I think text etc look real sharp on my Mini. Though I'm coming from an iPad W, even though I have iPhone 5 as well. It really feels good in the hands. I have already had it with me outside. Super nice. The black looks much more stunning in person.

maybe the low numbers are because the 7" tablet market has a lot more competition for them? Be interesting to see how this plays out over xmas.

I think making it 7.9 was a bit of a mistake because if you want a 7" tablet the bigger size isnt a plus. If you want bigger you would get the full size one.

Cloudy

Banned
Picked one up at BB just now. I just got a 16G cos I'll be using it mainly for books. It's pretty nifty

They only had blacks btw

I live in an area with 2 Apple stores and the only time there's been an issue getting something on launch day involved iPhones. iPads have never been hard to get. Small, or non-existant, lines are hopefully a sign that people are getting smarter and simply pre-ordering and getting them via UPS.

Now my immediate impression of the Mini after seeing it (the black one) is that it's similar to spotting a beautiful woman in the wild wearing yoga pants. Hnnnnngggggggg, and then she turns around to reveal a face full of buck teeth, zits and hairy moles. The lack of Retina is very very apparent. Fortunately I won't be reading on it, but I definitely will once they release the inevitable Mini 2 with Retina, because the form factor is leaps and bounds ahead of the larger tablets. Sorry Steve, but you were wrong, this is the size tablets should have always been. So light and comfortable when held properly. The side bezel looks really nice, but holding it via the side-pinch isn't comfortable or useful to me. Regardless, there are plenty of better options to holding it. This thing is going to lose a lot of sales based on the screen and price, but I also think it's going to gain a few based simply on fit and feel.

Vyer

I live in an area with 2 Apple stores and the only time there's been an issue getting something on launch day involved iPhones. iPads have never been hard to get. Small, or non-existant, lines are hopefully a sign that people are getting smarter and simply pre-ordering and getting them via UPS.

Pretty much. The big line thing hasn't really been around much since preordering has really taken hold and supply has improved.

I mean, I got an iPhone 5 on launch day at an AT&T store, but I don't think demand is an issue.

Got my mini!

Went to a store and got a 16GB white. I have a 32GB Black and 16GB Black arriving in the mail today as well.

The white is the one I'm keeping.

First impression - Feels a bit heavier then I expected but still nice!

EDIT: Oh got to the Apple Store right at 8am. Out in 5-10 mins. Only 20 people in line.

As a developer, I do kinda want an iPad mini. But as a normal consumer I really do think it's one or the other, and that means I'll be sticking with the full iPad for the conceivable future. Will be interesting to drop by the store today and try it out, if nothing else.

EDIT: I think anyone assuming the next Mini will have Retina is perhaps a bit of wishful thinking. It's in the realm of imagination, but there are some huge problems in the way right now. Like the fact it's using a battery with half the capacity as iPad 2. The improvements needed to hit the retina mark are probably going to be the same as making a lighter iPad 5: new screen tech with radically reduced power consumption and another die shrink to the A line.

I have an iPad and iPhone, and love them both, and I have no interest in the mini. I wonder if people have finally reached the point where they're like "I simply don't have $329 for this right now" or maybe people just can't get excited about it. It has to end sometime.

I think Apple already knew that. If the mini alone was going to saturate all of their stores, they wouldn't have announced the 4th gen iPad, 13" MBPR and iMac line all for launch in the same general timeframe. I mean, none of them have a compelling, store dominating feature to sell on; the iMac and MBPR are too expensive for a mass audience, the 4th gen is just a spec update, and for better or worse the mini is just a smaller iPad 2. Plus they've already more or less exhausted the immediate market with the iPhone5 last month.

The goal of this release wasn't to sell out, I imagine, but to simply position themselves perfectly for the holiday buying season. (Maybe you'll be able to buy it now, but good luck after Black Friday. Last year even the 4S was a hard product to buy)

bob page

Now my immediate impression of the Mini after seeing it (the black one) is that it's similar to spotting a beautiful woman in the wild wearing yoga pants. Hnnnnngggggggg, and then she turns around to reveal a face full of buck teeth, zits and hairy moles. The lack of Retina is very very apparent. Fortunately I won't be reading on it, but I definitely will once they release the inevitable Mini 2 with Retina, because the form factor is leaps and bounds ahead of the larger tablets. Sorry Steve, but you were wrong, this is the size tablets should have always been. So light and comfortable when held properly. The side bezel looks really nice, but holding it via the side-pinch isn't comfortable or useful to me. Regardless, there are plenty of better options to holding it. This thing is going to lose a lot of sales based on the screen and price, but I also think it's going to gain a few based simply on fit and feel.

I think you guys are making the screen "issue" way bigger than it actually is. The average consumer has a hard time noticing the difference- my parents couldn't even tell the difference in retina. Sure, they said it looked clearer, but they didn't think it was a monumental stride over the iPad 2.

After using their iPad 3 for several weeks and returning to my iPad 2, yes, the difference was quite apparent at first. But I wouldn't say it was bad or even mediocre. Hell, it took me less than a day to readjust to the iPad 2 screen and not even notice the difference.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I think you guys are making the screen "issue" way bigger than it actually is. The average consumer has a hard time noticing the difference- my parents couldn't even tell the difference in retina. Sure, they said it looked clearer, but they didn't think it was a monumental stride over the iPad 2.

After using their iPad 3 for several weeks and returning to my iPad 2, yes, the difference was quite apparent at first. But I wouldn't say it was bad or even mediocre. Hell, it took me less than a day to readjust to the iPad 2 screen and not even notice the difference.
It's only Baconsammy who keeps harping on about it here.
Everyone else has gotten over it and expects it in a future revision.

HTuran

So, the only reasonable way Apple can bring retina to the mini is by using 2048x1536. Will it be possible to mass produce such dense screens by next year? What PPI would that be? Do such screens exist already? Just curious, the mini looks great! Don't have a tablet, and not entirely sure I need one, but definitely want to try out the new form factor.

Blackhead

Redarse
NeoGAF on my Mini:

fdvpQl.jpg

Aka the Neogaf Android tablet app.

So, the only reasonable way Apple can bring retina to the mini is by using 2048x1536. Will it be possible to mass produce such dense screens by next year? What PPI would that be? Do such screens exist already? Just curious, the mini looks great!

It'll be the same PPI as the iPhone 4 screens they've been producing, and improving, for over 2 years now. All they need to do is cut the sheets into larger sizes

There were long lines and low stock for the iPad 1 and 2. I also waited in line for the iPad 3 but that launched with lots of stock. It's trivial to do a search on any tech site and get confirmation of the lines. Heck just check the Gaf threads

Gannd

Banned
Interesting posts about the lines (or lack of). It's also a story on CNN right now - no lines.

I think the mini is too expensive and the revision next year will sell for $299 and have a retina display. This was all about getting their product launches all lined up and ready for the Christmas shopping season.

So, the only reasonable way Apple can bring retina to the mini is by using 2048x1536. Will it be possible to mass produce such dense screens by next year? What PPI would that be? Do such screens exist already? Just curious, the mini looks great! Don't have a tablet, and not entirely sure I need one, but definitely want to try out the new form factor.

The screen is possible, but currently too expensive unless Apple cuts margins even further. But as mentioned the problem is more that they need to cut power consumption; unless they do that they would need to expand battery capacity enough that it would make the device significantly heavier and thicker.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

326.11 PPI, which is about the same as the iPhone which is 325 PPI.

Caramello

So my girlfriend bought a black iPad mini and I'm sold! Selling my iPad 2 and upgrading to mini. Yes, upgrading.

I was very surprised but the mini feels like what the iPad should be, the larger one just feels outdated after having used the mini. To me I'd still pick the mini over a retina enabled full size iPad at the same price point. I no longer see a point in the larger size.

Just left the Apple store. Yeah there was no one there for the mini (Staten island store). No lines nothing. Impressions are very good build quality and size but I will just wait till next year for the retina version.

LCfiner

the screens exist and are 326 ppi. they've been used since the iphone 4 came out. there are variations of the tech and the iphone 5 screen has the touch layer built into the LCD.

HTuran

The screen is possible, but currently too expensive unless Apple cuts margins even further. But as mentioned the problem is more that they need to cut power consumption; unless they do that they would need to expand battery capacity enough that it would make the device significantly heavier and thicker.

326.11 PPI, which is about the same as the iPhone which is 325 PPI.

Great, thanks for the info!

I'd be surprised if Apple's primary engineering focus right now is reducing power draw from these displays. There are too many potential benefits not to. The weight of the iPad, the possibility of a Retina iPad, battery life, etc. I was hoping that they'd made some progress with the iPad 4, but evidently not.

Top Bottom