• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

mrkgoo

I,m surprised that the mini is more alluring to em than I woulD have expected.

Half the weight for 80% of the screen real estate? Sounds good.

The assymetric bezel bothers me a little - I always saw the iPad as an orientation-free kind of device. That said, 16:9 movies might have an equal border now, lol.

White looks crap because of it, but the black options is really nice.

Would the portrait keyboard be useable at all?

It's not remotely nitpicking to point out that the current processor is fast enough to power all the pixels, but has a hard time powering newer apps. It's most likely why they switched to the new chip so fast. The old one was showing its age nearly the same day it was released.

What newer apps? I have a nearly full 64GB, and everything runs great.

You went frok a 1st gen to a 3rd, obviously will be better, but the reality is that the low res if the 2nd gen iPad allows for a faster and better performance iPad than the third, and yes, the A5X can handle that hi res screen, but not as well as the A5 handled the iPad 2 one, and in some cases is so noticeable that isn't surprising Apple had to put a new chip this soon

This is exactly what I said, haha. I guess we are in aggressive agreement.

Mrbob

Ipad 3 is sluggish now? Ok.

Anyway, I don't understand the market for the Ipad mini. Seems like trash compared to an the low end Ipad you can purchase for $399. Mini is over priced and under powered with a crappy screen.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Sometimes I wonder if people really believe this.
I'm sure someone will be right -eventually-. But yeah

1. People always say this
2. People will buy this, many people don't even look at the competition, they are huge fans of the OS/design (which is fine) and the majority wouldn't care if the specs were horrible and the device featureless.

1-D_FTW

Yup, we're in an Apple thread.

Well, to be fair, considering they didn't really address the cheap 7 inch market, unveiled a new flagship 6 months after the last refresh, and the Leader displayed one of the most odd and uncharismatic press conferences you're ever gonna see, I can see why some people would want to cash out.

Why do people not understand the difference between "fits in one hand" and "use with one hand"? I am typing this on my iPhone 5 and am using the device with one hand. The iPad mini can be held with one hand easily and used with the other. The 10" iPads are not easy to hold with one hand. It's absolutely silly to act as if Apple's comments about the iPhone 5 being the perfect size to use with one hand and the iPad mini being the perfect size to hold with one hand mean the exact same thing with contradicting sizes.

DarkFlow

Banned
Apple is basically betting on its name and people dumb enough to buy it at this price. I hope this is the first failure they have with a idevice and lower the price.

Lynn616

Looks Sexy

ipadmini3331_verge_super_wide.jpg

ipadmini3335_verge_super_wide.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3544148/ipad-mini-hands-on-photos#3886319

The back looks great. The bezel is too thin on the left and right. Should have been equal all the way around.

buhdeh

Looking at the verge pics, it sure is a beautiful device. Too bad I just can't bring myself to go back to iOS again.

Cipherr

Apple is basically betting on its name and people dumb enough to buy it at this price. I hope this is the first failure they have with a idevice and lower the price.

Its not a bad product. Stop pretending it is. Its just not the war in the 7" price space a lot were expecting. There's a big ass rift between those two things.

Kurdel

Banned
the Verge said:
Like most Apple products, the build of the smaller tablet is excellent, easily surpassing the competition on the market. By comparison, the Nexus 7 and Fire HD feel like toys. Other manufacturers are going to have to up their game with this product in town. It's just a striking difference in materials and solidness.

People claiming the product is dead in the water because of the price clearly don't understand the concept and appeal of premium products.

To these people, a BMW and a Smart car are basically the same thing.

LeleSocho

Banned
By the way even if doesn't fit me because for me a tablet has to be bigger i think that the iPad mini is actually a very good product the only bummer is the price imho 30$ higher even for Apple standards...

DarkFlow

Banned
Its not a bad product. Stop pretending it is. Its just not the war in the 7" price space a lot were expecting. There's a big ass rift between those two things.
It's a horrible product for this market. The 7 inch market is all about price. Why would I spend 329 for something worse then the 7? I'm not paying over $100 more for apps when I might as well get a iPad 2 at that price.

So I'm 99% sold on the mini. Would be my first tablet, and would be mainly for kids apps anyway, for my sons, so I'm not worried about it not being super powerful

My only worry Is that a year or two from now, I won't be able to get new iOS features, etc. I got locked out of abunch of stuff in my 2nd gen iPod touch, and I don't want that to happen. Do people think that with iPad 2 and the mini both being pretty similar and both being sold for at least a year more, do I have anything to worry about feature wise over the next day three years?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So this is the thread where people talk shit about the device? I guess this will go on until it's released. I agree that it's priced higher than it should be, but it's still a pretty damn compelling device for people who like iOS and Apple products. I bet it's going to sell like crazy this holiday.

Amagon

So what would be the prices be for the iPad 2 and the, now, outdated iPad 3? Might as well skip the Mini and get a regular iPad if it's cheaper and better bang for the buck.

I'm very happy with my iPad 3 but I don't think I would recommend this tablet at this price to anyone. The Nexus 7 is too good a device at $200.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I'm 99% sold on the mini. Would be my first tablet, and would be mainly for kids apps anyway, for my sons, so I'm not worried about it not being super powerful

My only worry Is that a year or two from now, I won't be able to get new iOS features, etc. I got locked out of abunch of stuff in my 2nd gen iPod touch, and I don't want that to happen. Do people think that with iPad 2 and the mini both being pretty similar and both being sold for at least a year more, do I have anything to worry about feature wise over the next day three years?
Just spend the little extra and get a iPad 2. Unless you want less screen space.

KingKong

No, it won't be obsolete for at least another 2 gens (they're still supporting the iPhone 3GS in some capacity), and even then it will just be a few features of the OS

Tapiozona

Banned
So this is the thread where people talk shit about the device? I guess this will go on until it's released. I agree that it's priced higher than it should be, but it's still a pretty damn compelling device for people who like iOS and Apple products. I bet it's going to sell like crazy this holiday.

How is it anymore compelling than what they currently offer? It's a bit smaller. That's it.

Xrenity

Every Apple release is the same these days. There's always people saying how Steve Jobs wouldn't have done this or that and that ot's too expensive.

And then it will sell like crazy.

I'm hoping iOS devices after a price and configuration refresh next year.

Starting prices

iPhone 16 GB $199 is fine

iPod Touch 32 GB $199

iPad Mini 32 GB $299

People claiming the product is dead in the water because of the price clearly don't understand the concept and appeal of premium products.

To these people, a BMW and a Smart car are basically the same thing.

If the smart car had roughly the same handling, performance and luxury appointments as the BMW, then you might have a case, because this doesn't exceed the specs of its competition. If blackberry came out with this product down to the last detail, including the price, people would be howling in the aisles with laughter.

And there is no way everyone buys apple products because of "premium". I'm sure some do, but they alone would not make apple the largest company in the world today, not by a long shot. They buy them because of the brand appeal, and also because by and large mainstream media covers every minute detail of apple products while mentioning their rival's products in passing, usually along the lines of "X product announced to compete with apple".

And once again, I'm not saying this product will fail. It will be a monstrous success. Just not for the right reasons.

DarkFlow

Banned
So what happened to the iPad 3, they just wipe it off the map? Kinda lame they did not move it down to the iPad 2 spot and make it cheaper. Guess they need to prop up the mini.

I tried it on the Nexus 7 and it looks like it isn't updated properly to the tablet interface. The screen shot there you posted is on the app page but it looks like it's from a full sized tablet interface (the bar on the bottom is only on 10" or bigger tablets). So they haven't updated it for whatever reason. Most of the apps I use have had N7 updates a long while ago though I guess there are some that haven't bothered to fix yet. It's also a bit misleading however considering almost every app that isn't updated has an alternative that probably is.

Haven't used an Android tablet lately, have you?

There are very few apps that have been designed to properly take advantage of the screen size and space Android tablets have.

Partially because most Android tablets have sold so poorly, I assume the motivation just isn't there.

That picture is the STANDARD Android tablet experience, not the exception.

iPad is just a big iPod Touch, why would anyone buy one? It's just bigger. That's it.

lol teh jokes.

Top Bottom