• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Willectro

Banned
Fail price, fail size, "fusion" drives aren't a new invention as Apple would have you believe, and who cares how thick an iMac is? I feel like Apple is 'jumping the shark'.

Hmm, I might get one of those for my mum cause the iPad OG is getting a bit slow now. You think they'll still have them around Christmas time?

I imagine they would have plenty of leftover stock but those are pretty good prices so who knows how long it'll last.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Actually, I'm not referring to tech sites at all, whose job it is to, you know, cover tech. I'm talking about anything I hear on my way to work in the car, or see on CNN or whatever else. It's an incalculable amount of free marketing clout that Apple has over its competitors. Perhaps I wasn't clear when I said "mainstream media".

I'd argue you are confusing cause and effect. Apple gets a lot of play on CNN because they are really popular. CNN/NPR/etc. has no skin in this game, they cover what is popular because they want eyeballs.

Well, they do have a lot more apps, designed for the tablet, than their competitors have. They did that side-by-side comparison to the Nexus 7 and those were apps that are on both - there are plenty that aren't. And, the browser traffic stat is a killer too. While people may be buying Nexus 7s, it's not making a big dent in the mobile browser usage numbers.

They are not doing the race-to-the-bottom pricing that other manufacturers are (and worked out so well for netbooks).

Apple is also not interested in selling a device at cost and making it up by selling all of your personal information to outside companies....

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but 8 inches from 10 is hardly Mini.

Actually what I would really like is a 6 inch tablet which imo is the perfect size to hold in your hand

I disagree.

I haven't tried one in person yet, but from what I've seen it looks like it's the difference between being able to comfortably hold it in one hand versus not being able to do so with the standard iPad line.

Fail price, fail size, "fusion" drives aren't a new invention as Apple would have you believe, and who cares how thick an iMac is? I feel like Apple is 'jumping the shark'.

Point out a consumer-friendly implementation of a "Fusion" drive system. Apple never claimed to invent it, but no one else seems to be using it in the consumer sphere.

Momentus XT doesn't count. That just emplys an SSD cache. (For the record, I have a Momentus XT.)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Point out a consumer-friendly implementation of a "Fusion" drive system. Apple never claimed to invent it, but no one else seems to be using it in the consumer sphere.

Momentus XT doesn't count. That just emplys an SSD cache. (For the record, I have a Momentus XT.)

Exactly this. People always get so salty about originality and innovation when it comes to Apple taking an existing technology and making it user-friendly for the layman.

dyls

Anyone have a link to the Mini commercial? I've heard it's good but can't find it anywhere.

I have to say I'm surprised they went with $329 instead of $299. That thirty dollars is small in terms of monetary value, but huge in terms of customer perception. But I'm sure they'll sell all they can make with the holidays coming, so it's hard to call it a misstep.

Now where the fuck is iTunes 11?

Pachimari

I'm buying this no doubt, the price is fair. White or black though?

I'll use it for reading and writing, then use my iPad 2 as a game hub.

LCfiner

$329 is such an odd price.

Wasn't there someone here who was convinced that they were going to price it at $250? Wherever you are, I'm laughing at you.

I was pretty loud about it being 250. don't know if you meant me or someone else though.

Anyway, I'm laughing at myself too.

330 is not a good price for what they've built here. If someone wants a small, light tablet for internet browsing and reading, I would easily recommend the Kindle Fire HD or nexus 7 over this.

And if someone wants a potential laptop replacement, then the 10" ipad 4 is the way to go.

The pricing on this thing just bums me out.

Owzers

I'm buying this no doubt, the price is fair. White or black though?

I'll use it for reading and writing, then use my iPad 2 as a game hub.

i'm trying to decide color too...mainly what makes the colors pop more on comics to my eyes. Downside of 4x3 are black boarders around comixology comics, so i should probably go with black to blend that in......

I think it's definitely priced too high but if you're already heavily invested in iOS apps it may still be worth it to get this over an equivalent Android tablet.

I was pretty loud about it being 250. don't know if you meant me or someone else though.

Anyway, I'm laughing at myself too.

330 is not a good price for what they've built here. If someone wants a small, light tablet for internet browsing and reading, I would easily recommend the Kindle Fire HD or nexus 7 over this.

And if someone wants a potential laptop replacement, then the 10" ipad 4 is the way to go.

The pricing on this thing just bums me out.

You are comparing it to two products that are priced at/below cost in order to sell you services or to sell your information to advertisers. Apple makes their money on their hardware. It is hard to directly compare the two...

I think it's definitely priced too high but if you're already heavily invested in iOS apps it may still be worth it to get this over an equivalent Android tablet.

Especially since the Android tablet app market is almost non-existent...

Even if the Android tablet app market was filled to the brim with apps it would make sense for someone going from an iPad 2 or even someone who already has an iPhone to get a Mini over an Android tablet instead of having to repurchase all those apps again.

Flek

Banned
Hmm while i really like the ipad mini iam not going to put down 330 Euros on it.
My girlfriend really wants a ipad 4 though … i can understand her my old ipad 1 is starting to get slower and the battery isn´t holding up to good anymore.

Lets see what google does next week - a 149 Euro nexus 7 might just be what I need as a nother consumption device. (because productivity wise the iPad is going nowhere anyway)

Even if the Android tablet app market was filled to the brim with apps it would make sense for someone going from an iPad 2 or even someone who already has an iPhone to get a Mini over an Android tablet instead of having to repurchase all those apps again.

As someone with $100 or so tied up in naturalist/plant & animal id apps, I agree....

LCfiner

You are comparing it to two products that are priced at/below cost in order to sell you services or to sell your information to advertisers. Apple makes their money on their hardware. It is hard to directly compare the two...

Rubin said the Nexus 7 is sold at cost. so they're not losing money on each one. point is apple could have sold something for 250 and still had fat margins since so much of the ipad mini tech is recycled from old devices. it's not costing them a lot to build and all the R&D on chips was recouped with previous devices.

330 just seems like a money grab. Kinda like when Nintendo priced the 3DS at 250.

Of course, I expect the mini will do better at 330 than the 3DS did at 250, but it's still disappointing to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rubin said the Nexus 7 is sold at cost. so they're not losing money on each one. point is apple could have sold something for 250 and still had fat margins since so much of the ipad mini tech is recycled from old devices. it's not costing them a lot to build and all the R&D on chips was recouped with previous devices.

330 just seems like a money grab. Kinda like when Nintendo priced the 3DS at 250.

Of course, I expect the mini will do better at 330 than the 3DS did at 250, but it's still disappointing to me.

No doubt Apple is making a more-than-healthy profit on this, but I think you're underestimating all of the engineering work that goes into fitting everything from the iPad 2 (as well as new stuff) into a form factor that they've never done before.

Yeah yeah, we get it, you love Apple. Now defend the idiotic decision to sell a desktop computer without an optical drive. Be sure to tell us how no one burns or rips CDs anymore.

Honestly, for something all unibody and completely impossible to modify like the iMac, I wouldn't want an integrated optical drive. I only have anecdotal evidence, but I don't know anyone who uses discs regularly anymore. I'm sure Apple has more real stats behind this decision that show that disc users are in the minority. Add on the cost of the USB drive to the computer if you must. It's not like they are removing disc support from the OS.

Phoenix

Its an absolute shameless money grab and they know it. They also know that the market will bear it. The strategies are definitely different. Google looks to sell the devices for the cheapest it can to enter the market. Apple looks to maximize profit because they already control the market.

LCfiner

No doubt Apple is making a more-than-healthy profit on this, but I think you're underestimating all of the engineering work that goes into fitting everything from the iPad 2 (as well as new stuff) into a form factor that they've never done before.

well, they just fit it into an ipod touch last month...

and an iphone 4S last year.

Phoenix

Yeah yeah, we get it, you love Apple. Now defend the idiotic decision to sell a desktop computer without an optical drive. Be sure to tell us how no one burns or rips CDs anymore.

The response, of course, will be to just use an external drive and plug it in as you need to. The response makes perfect sense too.

Top Bottom