• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Radec

Remember, Apple is the market leader in tablets. By a huge lead. They wont easily go down to the pricing levels of their competitors unless the pie graph is changing alot.

Cipherr

ive had it with aples shit. im going nexus

image.php

Yeah but 8 inches from 10 is hardly Mini.

Actually what I would really like is a 6 inch tablet which imo is the perfect size to hold in your hand
The weight is more significant. It's less than half the weight of the iPad 3, and is less than 100g heavier than a Kindle. This will be a much more comfortable device to hold in one hand compared to the normal iPad.

SuperPac

I have an iPad 3. I'm seriously considering ditching it and getting the mini - would be nice to have something that's lighter and easier to read in bed with.

CrankyJay

Banned
Its not a bad product. Stop pretending it is. Its just not the war in the 7" price space a lot were expecting. There's a big ass rift between those two things.

If anything I'm sure it will be a snappy little device. Just wish it had retina at this price point or was priced lower as is.

I have an iPad 3. I'm seriously considering ditching it and getting the mini - would be nice to have something that's lighter and easier to read in bed with.
It's crossing my mind too. But I think I'll miss all those pixels too much. I used a friend's iPad 2 recently and it reminded me how good the 3's screen is.

DarkFlow

Banned
It still exists, it just got a faster processor. Sheesh.
No that's a iPad 4 now. You Change to a A6 and that's a new tablet. When the 4s came out you could still by a 4, so why Can't I buy a 3 and why is the 2 the same price. Apple is changing how they've done things by moving product's down to justify the mini price Artificiality.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Haven't used an Android tablet lately, have you?

There are very few apps that have been designed to properly take advantage of the screen size and space Android tablets have.

Partially because most Android tablets have sold so poorly, I assume the motivation just isn't there.

That picture is the STANDARD Android tablet experience, not the exception.

lol teh jokes.

I'm writing this right now on a Nexus 7 with Swype so yeah I have.

No that's a iPad 4 now. You Change to a A6 and that's a new tablet. When the 4s came out you could still by a 4, so why Can't I buy a 3 and why is the 2 the same price. Apple is changing how they've done things by moving product's down to justify the mini price Artificiality.

You made the correct comparison I think, this iteration of the iPad should really be seen as a half-step, so iPad 3s. Even less so, as you have full software feature equivalence, unlike the 4s say, which got Siri and the 4 did not.

DarkFlow

Banned
You made the correct comparison I think, this iteration of the iPad should really be seen as a half-step, so iPad 3s. Even less so, as you have full software feature equivalence, unlike the 4s say, which got Siri and the 4 did not.
Yeah it's pretty much a iPad 3s. I'm just wondering why I can't buy a cheaper iPad 3. I was kinda looking fwd to it dropping in price and now it's just gone.

$329 is such an odd price.

Wasn't there someone here who was convinced that they were going to price it at $250? Wherever you are, I'm laughing at you.

It's also interesting that they've changed the software to ignore your thumb resting on the edge of the screen due to this thin bezel. This could result in the full size iPad also getting thinner bezels sometime in the future.

diffusionx

Gold Member
And there is no way everyone buys apple products because of "premium". I'm sure some do, but they alone would not make apple the largest company in the world today, not by a long shot. They buy them because of the brand appeal, and also because by and large mainstream media covers every minute detail of apple products while mentioning their rival's products in passing, usually along the lines of "X product announced to compete with apple".

All of the rival stuff gets mentioned a lot too. The same sites that cover Apple's shows also covered MS' stupid Surface reveal in June when they showed off nothing but non-working prototypes. They will be there live-blogging the Google event on Monday too.

Blackberry got a lot of face-time (no pun intended) in the mainstream media back before the iPhone. Crackberry, the CEO/Wall Street cachet, etc. - did you forget about that stuff? Google is a huge company that gets tons of coverage too. MS, goes without saying. Maybe Windows Phone 7 didn't get the coverage on the evening news the iPhone 5 got, but you know... it's Windows Phone 7.

DarkFlow

Banned
Again, the refurbished 16 GB starts at $379. That's pretty good, imo.
I don't want a refurb, and your missing the point. They have completely wiped a product from there lineup and kept another (iPad 2) to justify the price of the mini. Normally when the 4 comes out, the 3 would drop to the 2s price of 399 and the 2 would drop out. Now with the mini, the 2 stayed at 399 and the 3 just vanished.
How many minis do you think they sell if the 3 had moved to 399 and the mini and its dumb price of 329?

I don't want a refurb, and your missing the point. They have completely wiped a product from there lineup and kept another (iPad 2) to justify the price of the mini. Normally when the 4 comes out, the 3 would drop to the 2s price of 399 and the 2 would drop out. Now with the mini, the 2 stayed at 399 and the 3 just vanished.

Honest question, what's wrong with a refurb?

Carlisle

So I guess the trend will be to put the previous year's iPad into a smaller body, and knock $70 off the price. Eh... Apple could do better. After debuting the original at the mindblowing price of $500, they could have done better with this one. Should have been $249.

That they could package a big shiny white turd in a pretty box, price it for $999 and still end up high-fiving hipsters who lined up 72 hours for the privilege.

Trying too hard.

CrankyJay

Banned
I've heard nothing but good things about Apple refurbs, if that helps.

They're essentially new devices...I got a refurb Gen 2 iPod classic back in the day because my hard drive died under warranty. I basically traded in a scratched up piece of shit for a scratch free device. No complaints.

Amagon

It appears for the price of a iPad Mini wifi 64gb ($529), while the refurb iPad 3rd gen wifi 64gb is only $20 more ($549). Looks like I'll be picking up the 3rd gen for me this year.

How many minis do you think they sell if the 3 had moved to 399 and the mini and its dumb price of 329?

They probably did that because of the screen. The big selling point the 3 (and now the 4) has over the 2 is the retina screen. This way you still have to buy the most expensive model to get the retina screen.

All of the rival stuff gets mentioned a lot too. The same sites that cover Apple's shows also covered MS' stupid Surface reveal in June when they showed off nothing but non-working prototypes. They will be there live-blogging the Google event on Monday too.

Blackberry got a lot of face-time (no pun intended) in the mainstream media back before the iPhone. Crackberry, the CEO/Wall Street cachet, etc. - did you forget about that stuff? Google is a huge company that gets tons of coverage too. MS, goes without saying. Maybe Windows Phone 7 didn't get the coverage on the evening news the iPhone 5 got, but you know... it's Windows Phone 7.

Actually, I'm not referring to tech sites at all, whose job it is to, you know, cover tech. I'm talking about anything I hear on my way to work in the car, or see on CNN or whatever else. It's an incalculable amount of free marketing clout that Apple has over its competitors. Perhaps I wasn't clear when I said "mainstream media".

what about screen scratches/scratches in general and dead pixels? Refurbished models scare me, much like the poster who mentioned consoles, just on the basis of something being "wrong" with the unit.

Why You Should Choose Refurbished If You’re Buying Apple Products

The reason is Apple has a really great refurbishment process and policy: Refurbs come with a new outer shell, new battery, and the same one-year warranty that new hardware comes with. In other words, "same-as-new appearance and performance," Broida writes. "There is literally no downside."

SuperPac

Lower resolution than the Google Nexus, last-gen processor, $329, what is Apple thinking?

Well, they do have a lot more apps, designed for the tablet, than their competitors have. They did that side-by-side comparison to the Nexus 7 and those were apps that are on both - there are plenty that aren't. And, the browser traffic stat is a killer too. While people may be buying Nexus 7s, it's not making a big dent in the mobile browser usage numbers.

They are not doing the race-to-the-bottom pricing that other manufacturers are (and worked out so well for netbooks).

Top Bottom