• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

giga

my laptop has an even bigger battery and it charges faster than this POS! and wtf it takes like 10 mins to install an app on this thing? firmware or what? should i update to 6.01?
Your laptop isn't being charged through a 10W PSU and USB connector. 10W (and now 12W) was already pushing it past USB's battery charging specification of 7.5W (1.5A, 5V)--going for a laptop standard 45W charger would be far more expensive and impossible through a USB connector.

ztNT+

Did I diss your mother or something? I've owned every iPad since the OG and it's noticeably slower than the 3. The hardware differences alone make this an incontrovertible fact.
Utter BS. The iPad 3 is only better than the iPad 2 in RAM, which is obvious with the amount of active tabs it can keep open in Safari. In terms of smoothness, it's extremely similar, with the 3 occasionally appearing to hitch momentarily where the 2 does not. I would love to see an example of where the Mini is noticeably slower than the 3, when it will likely be marginally faster as the iPad 2 was.

Fox Mulder

Real talk, folks.

If I cannot find an iPad Mini 16GB Wifi is the iPad 2 16GB Wifi a good compromise?

What features of substance am I losing out on?

Most of the features on Apple's website seem to indicate that it's not much of a downgrade outside of losing siri and worse cameras (don't give care about either feature sets). Are the CPUs the exact same on the new model? They don't give any pertinent details about that other than the name of the processor?

How about graphics comparisons vs the mini? No mention of that on their site

the ipad 2 is a fine tablet still. You should be able to find one for a good price as people are trying to upgrade. There's also the Apple refurbished option. A 16GB wifi mini goes for $329, but a refurbished 16GB wifi ipad 3 is $379 with free shipping on their site.

jts

...hate me...
Pretty hilarious that he "owns" what he calls a "POS".

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LAnmnS0-9g

Real talk, folks.

If I cannot find an iPad Mini 16GB Wifi is the iPad 2 16GB Wifi a good compromise?

What features of substance am I losing out on?

Most of the features on Apple's website seem to indicate that it's not much of a downgrade outside of losing siri and worse cameras (don't give care about either feature sets). Are the CPUs the exact same on the new model? They don't give any pertinent details about that other than the name of the processor?

How about graphics comparisons vs the mini? No mention of that on their site
The CPU, GPU, RAM etc are the same and all part of the A5 system-on-a-chip arrangement they use on both devices. And it drives displays with the same resolution. So the performance in all fields is pretty much the same.

As you said, Siri and cameras are the main differences. Well, and the Lightning port, it can be a factor. Also, stereo speakers (on the mini) opposed to mono speaker on the 2.

Do yourself a favor and get the mini even if you have to wait... most iPad users are praising it as a superior form factor, don't miss on that.

Doodis

Went and saw the mini today. After using a retina pad for ages now I found the resolution so bad to look at. Fuzzy text everywhere. I couldn't go back to non-retina now.
This is my number one concern. I haven't jumped in on an iPad yet, and everything about the mini seems perfect except for the lack of retina display. So disappointing for me personally.

This is my number one concern. I haven't jumped in on an iPad yet, and everything about the mini seems perfect except for the lack of retina display. So disappointing for me personally.

Depends on what you want it for. Games, art apps, movies, TV all look tremendous on it. Reading is terrible, especially in darkness. I'd recommend a Kindle if you goal is to mainly read books anyway.

Fowler

I'll be honest, I went into the store thinking I WILL NEVER BUY IT BECAUSE I WON'T BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE NON-RETINA-NESS OF THE DISPLAY, and... it's really not bad. Played around with iBooks and unless you want a super-tiny font, it's pretty good actually.

MRORANGE

I think the iPad is the first device that made me truly understand the apple ecosystem, it's a all you can device but limited in some more advance functions which you bring out the laptop for.

But damn, a Apple TV and a mini iPad seems like the ultimate media device for me now.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'll be honest, I went into the store thinking I WILL NEVER BUY IT BECAUSE I WON'T BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE NON-RETINA-NESS OF THE DISPLAY, and... it's really not bad. Played around with iBooks and unless you want a super-tiny font, it's pretty good actually.

Yeah, no one was screaming about iPads being unusable before retina, and the Mini looks better than them.

I like retina as much as anyone but the Mini's advantages far, far outweigh that to me. I love it, and when it has everything it will be the one device to rule them all.

Doodis

That's good to know. I definitely need to check one out in person. I'd mostly be using it for games, books and web surfing at home.

I think iBooks looks fine as long as the room is well lit. At night when the iPad is the only light, it's dreadful for reading. Unfortunately I do most of my reading late at night when its dark.

Kal

Spent some time with the mini at the Apple store yesterday. It's incredibly gorgeous. It's form factor is just perfect and it's so thin and light. The only complaint I have is the screen; I have an iPad 3 and every non retina screen I've seen looks worse in comparison. Not looking to buy one but if it had a retina display I would have seriously considered trading in my iPad for it.

sikkinixx

Being an OG iPad owner I thought it looked great when I was at the store. Huge mobs of people wow. Retina screens on the iPad look good but I haven't played with one another to see the night/day difference that I saw with the iPhone 3G --> 4 jump that I made a few years back.

For my the size feels great, super light, really REALLY nice build quality. Apps looked fine. Was still MILES faster than my iPad but everything feels slow compared to my iPhone 5 (well except the iPad G4 which I didn't fiddle with).

kr2t0s

Real talk, folks.

If you really want a mini - the best way to do it (assuming you have an apple store nearby) is buy it online and choose in store pickup.

I couldn't find a white 32gb anywhere and chose in store pickup and the store had one the next day.

jts

...hate me...
Well the dock and the homescreen have very different behaviors, and for good reason too. While the dock automatically centers the icon layout no matter how many apps you place there, the home screen will always fit the icons to the predefined grid (4x5 or 5x4).

As much as I, of course, wouldn't mind options, as in, you could choose right on settings how many icons you want on your homescreen, if such a feature isn't in place, then thank god you can't fit six icons to a row just by throwing them there - it would be cramped as fuck instead of the nice, well spaced 4x5 layout I really appreciate, especially when I compare it to the iPhone.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Well the dock and the homescreen have very different behaviors, and for good reason too. While the dock automatically centers the icon layout no matter how many apps you place there, the home screen will always fit the icons to the predefined grid (4x5 or 5x4).

As much as I, of course, wouldn't mind options, as in, you could choose right on settings how many icons you want on your homescreen, if such a feature isn't in place, then thank god you can't fit six icons to a row just by throwing them there - it would be cramped as fuck instead of the nice, well spaced 4x5 layout I really appreciate, especially when I compare it to the iPhone.

Yeah, I thank god every day for that, I can't imagine life if that were the case.

Truth. For illustrative purposes:

Just kill me already.

Kill me that after all these years they can't even be bothered to give us a choice to have it that way. Or to simply give us the ability to place our icons/folders anywhere we want on the screen. iOS is so lame now compared to Android/WP8. Hopefully the recent changes at Apple means good things are in the near future for iOS.

jts

...hate me...
Just as long as they don't change it just for the sake of change or looking "different", WP-style, I'm ok with that.

Sobriquet

I think iBooks looks fine as long as the room is well lit. At night when the iPad is the only light, it's dreadful for reading. Unfortunately I do most of my reading late at night when its dark.

That's one of my main uses for my iPad (1). I love reading in bed in the dark.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
my laptop has an even bigger battery and it charges faster than this POS! and wtf it takes like 10 mins to install an app on this thing? firmware or what? should i update to 6.01?
Dude, calm down! A laptop uses a lot more wattage to charge therefore it can charge faster. The iPad mini and iPhones and other lesser iOS devices use 5W chargers. The iPad 4 uses a 12W. If you want to charge your iPad mini in a bit shorter time, invest in a 12W charger. Otherwise put up with the 3+ hour charge time of the included 5W charger.

Apple includes a 5W because the device has a 11 hour battery and they assume people will just charge it over night every few days. It's not that big a deal. They sell a 12W one and make all their devices compatible with them so you have the option.

Also what giga said.

bob page

Dude, calm down! A laptop uses a lot more wattage to charge therefore it can charge faster. The iPad mini and iPhones and other lesser iOS devices use 5W chargers. The iPad 4 uses a 12W. If you want to charge your iPad mini in a bit shorter time, invest in a 12W charger. Otherwise put up with the 3+ hour charge time of the included 5W charger.

Apple includes a 5W because the device has a 11 hour battery and they assume people will just charge it over night every few days. It's not that big a deal. They sell a 12W one and make all their devices compatible with them so you have the option.

Also what giga said.
He's referring to the iPad 3, not the mini- not sure why he continues to post non-mini related things in this thread other than to rile people up.

Just as long as they don't change it just for the sake of change or looking "different", WP-style, I'm ok with that.

Yeah, I just want some quality customization options. But that's the least of what iOS needs now. Widgets, home screen functionality etc. Soon I hope.

He's referring to the iPad 3, not the mini- not sure why he continues to post non-mini related things in this thread other than to rile people up.

He can't help himself apparently. It's his duty in life to tell us the Mini is a "POS".

As for the Mini, my young daughter just discovered the greatness that is Draw Something. She's been on the Mini for over an hour playing with family and friends and just laughing her butt off. Mini really is the perfect size for gaming.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My mistake! Carry on.

So, about that mini.... I really really want it nooooooww. Maybe the store will get their shipment tomorrow.

dream

I don't know...I think sleeping_dragon's anger over Apple products is kind of hilarious. Especially when you look at his avatar while reading his vitriol. It's almost like he's roid raging.

Mairu

I'm pretty happy with mine. I wish it was retina, but I can deal with it not being retina. I mean, up until recently there have been 13-15" laptops with 1366x768 resolution, a 7.9" screen with 1024x768 is fine to read on (but I'd rather use a Kindle for reading books anyways!)

LCfiner

I was never comfortable reading in the dark with any ipad. even on the retina screen, it's the backlighting that gets me (even at 25%)

heck, I have a kobo glo with that, soft nice front light and I still much prefer turning on my nightstand reading light to make things easier on my eyes.

I don't know if resolution alone is enough to start headaches for most people but the backlighting (in a totally dark room) and slightly blurry text combo could.

Juice

I've been travelling for the last few days, the iPad Mini is a godsend. I'm using it in all sorts of circumstances I never pull out my previous iPads in, but in which I find it much more relaxing than staring at my phone.

A+ purchase. Going to have to find something to do with my iPad 3.

Top Bottom