• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

TheDude108

Just got my 16GB+Cell in Black/Slate.

My diagnosis:

Screen is great, haven't had much experience (talking minutes here) with Retina, so it doesn't bother me at all. Everything looks great.

Performance is fantastic, feels really snappy, particularly browsing the web, thought it wouldn't be as fast as my laptop, which it isn't, but its really not far behind.

First tablet I've every owned and I haven't used iOS since my 2nd Gen iPod Touch. Its improved a lot, particularly the App Store which is very nice to use.

bob page

I was thinking about buying one for my wife as a christmas present. After having checked it out, I honestly can't give her one. The screen is utter shit.
Be a better husband and let her decide for herself. I got one for my girlfriend and she didn't even notice the screen. Same as my mom.

Zeth

The screen is totally fine with me now and I regularly use a Retina and iPhone 5.

This is my main mobile gaming device now. With very few exceptions I prefer almost all iOS gaming on the Mini. Most iPad games seem to be very well optimized for the iPad 2/Mini hardware.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
The screen is totally fine with me now and I regularly use a Retina and iPhone 5.

This is my main mobile gaming device now. With very few exceptions I prefer almost all iOS gaming on the Mini. Most iPad games seem to be very well optimized for the iPad 2/Mini hardware.

Just what I wanted to hear. Mine will be used mainly for gaming and web browsing, and it'll replace a 3rd gen iPad.

so my family did Christmas early this year and I gave my mom her mini. She's loving it but I sync'd her email to her hotmail account and it didn't carry over any of her existing folders or mail? Any ideas on why?

kehs

Banned
so my family did Christmas early this year and I gave my mom her mini. She's loving it but I sync'd her email to her hotmail account and it didn't carry over any of her existing folders or mail? Any ideas on why?

Did you set it up as a hotmail account or an exchange account?

The former doesn't do shit.

the former. Is there anyway to reset it? The strange thing is that it carried over all her folders, like "Work", "Photos", "Vacation", ect...but they are all empty.

cube444

I bought a mini for my nieces and let them open it tonight. Great form factor but the lack of resolution after owning an iPad 3 is something I could never handle.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I almost bought one today for my wife, but I just couldn't do it with the iPad 4 lined up right next to it for comparison. For $170 more, you just get such a better product in the iPad 4. I mean, the size of the mini is nice and all, but I couldn't justify going down so heavily in regards to specs and screen quality for not a terribly huge difference in price. I ended up getting an iPad 4.

Setre

My mom bought me an iPad Mini for Christmas and I’ve had it for several days now. Coming from the iPad 3 with Retina the screen is shit and I notice the difference, especially when viewing NeoGaf Mobile. However in iBooks and the Kindle App with the background set to Sepia it becomes a lot more tolerable. I do however love the weight and size of this thing, it’s fucking perfect. If/when Apple releases the Mini with Retina I’ll be all over that shit unless the next regular iPad is super thin and not heavy.

Never played games on my 3 but I did on the original iPad and didn’t care for it much. Will probably buy a game and play on both my 3 and Mini just to see which is more comfortable. I know the Retina screen will make a difference but I don’t it’ll be that noticeable in an action heavy game. We shall see.

I was hyped for the form factor, but I can't pay a premium price for something that is treated as a second class citizen. I can understand why the first iteration doesn't have Retina, but the lack of A6 processor is inexcusable if you ask me.

Got a Smart Cover from a friend. Woo. How's that rocket fish back case ?

Wife opened her mini, smart cover, and rocket fish case tonight. The clear case snaps right on and is nice. The smart cover seems to work, but not against gravity. If you hold the ipad upside down, the cover flops open. I thought the magnet was supposed to keep it against the screen? We were just testing to see how well it hold for when she puts it in her bag and if it flops around.

Wife opened her mini, smart cover, and rocket fish case tonight. The clear case snaps right on and is nice. The smart cover seems to work, but not against gravity. If you hold the ipad upside down, the cover flops open. I thought the magnet was supposed to keep it against the screen? We were just testing to see how well it hold for when she puts it in her bag and if it flops around.

Mine sticks in place

Do you mean when it's on the back? Cause it flaps then. But when it's on my screen then it's fine

When it is on the screen itself. When it is on the back it flops around, which I get. But when it is on the front screen and you turn it upside down, the middle sags and then the cover flops down after a moment. The hinge always stays in place.

Asked my mom for a mini 32gb black for xmas, but since it was last minute, I got a 64gb white instead (the only model they had at the moment).

I think I'll keep it since a lot of stuff these days demand a lot of space (specifically, the Avengers and Infinity Blade games).

Never played games on my 3 but I did on the original iPad and didn’t care for it much. Will probably buy a game and play on both my 3 and Mini just to see which is more comfortable. I know the Retina screen will make a difference but I don’t it’ll be that noticeable in an action heavy game. We shall see.

yeah it's not really noticeable. i think the mini is a way better gaming machine than the ipad 3 — often smoother performance, far more comfortable.

Dimorphic

The mini is great. I have a lot of the same apps on my iPad 3 as I do on the mini but I use the mini mostly as a gaming and reading device.

solarus

I really don't care about the screen at al and this is coming from someone who sold his retina ipad 3 for a minil. Also i honestly believe that they should hold off retina if they have to, if it means a sizeable gain in weight or thickness next year.

mooooose

My mom waited until the last minute to get me my mini and was dismayed the 16gb wasn't available so she got the 32gb with 4g which seems like a waste to me, I already am I'm love with the extra storage and iPad in general but should I return it for the non 4g model? I couldn't help it and opened it up already and set it up. I can see instances where I will use the 4g but I already have an iPhone. Idk. I feel bad because my mom doesn't have a ton of money and the base model was already pushing it but she really didn't want to disappoint me.

Ps the mini makes the iPad seem huge and the iPhone seem small. It's perfect. Best iOS device.

okno

My boyfriend surprised me with an early gift last week of a 64GB black mini :3 I had absolutely no clue whatsoever that he was getting it for me, so it was an especially nice surprise. I've been playing with his 3 for the past few months, and have absolutely no problem at all with the screen of the mini. Yeah, it's noticeably of a lower resolution, but the rest of it is badass. The colors look great, no ghosting, the viewing angles are bomb, and it's light as hell. Playing games on his 3 while laying in bed was torture for my hands; the edges on the 3 are so razor sharp. The mini is a nearly perfect little machine. Get a little more horsepower under it and a retina screen and it'll be a monster. For now, I'm perfectly happy to have my own iPad :)

I absolutely love playing games on this thing. Crazy Taxi while in bed?! Fuck yes.

Vyer

If the resolution weakness is that noticable thenI think I'll hold off buying a mini until a Retina display version is available.

Probably should see one for yourself to judge, I think it's very subjective. I'm an ipad 3 owner but the time I've spent with the mini I thought the screen was fine. Overall (weight, screen size, form factor) it is pretty awesome.

My mom waited until the last minute to get me my mini and was dismayed the 16gb wasn't available so she got the 32gb with 4g which seems like a waste to me, I already am I'm love with the extra storage and iPad in general but should I return it for the non 4g model? I couldn't help it and opened it up already and set it up. I can see instances where I will use the 4g but I already have an iPhone. Idk. I feel bad because my mom doesn't have a ton of money and the base model was already pushing it but she really didn't want to disappoint me.

On the other hand, she may be disappointed if you return something she went through the effort of getting you. She obviously really wanted you to have a gift you wanted. I dunno.

I will say you may find the LTE to come in handy at some point.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Ps the mini makes the iPad seem huge and the iPhone seem small. It's perfect. Best iOS device.

I feel the same way. i am playing around with my mom's ipad mini and now i want to trade in my ipad 2 for a 64G ipad mini. i think i will wait for next year for the retina display.

kehs

Banned

Exchange it, and take her out to dinner with the difference.

Curious as well. I havent busted out my Dreamcast in a while and want to play this if it controls well enough on iOS.
It'll never be as good with a controller, but it works really, really well. Spent loads of hours cracking top 5 in arcade mode awhile back, but I'm sure it's been smashed now. :(

The size of the Mini should make it a way more comfortable experience than on a 2, which I have.

It'll never be as good with a controller, but it works really, really well. Spent loads of hours cracking top 5 in arcade mode awhile back, but I'm sure it's been smashed now. :(

The size of the Mini should make it a way more comfortable experience than on a 2, which I have.
Downloaded. Thanks. Won't work on my iPad 1, but will on my iPhone 5. Now to convince my wife to play it in her new mini.

Is there a way I can clean the microfiber side of the Smart Cover? Got a bit of sauce on it -___-

Hope everyone is enjoying their iPad Mini! I seriously haven't touched my MacBook Pro since I got mine

grumble

She went the extra mile for you. You go the extra mile for her. Take her out for meals, cook her dinner, but her a gift for no reason, do some extra chores, get her some tickets to a show. Pay her back for her generosity.

GuessWho

finally got around to playing with a mini. I have a ipad 3 and the mini is perfect, but the screen...nope nope nope. One you go retina you can't go back.
Will wait for retina mini - or sharper resolution. Doesn't necessarily need to be retina, gimme something like N7 and that would suffice.

Played with mine for several hours and, overall, it's good, performance wise.

The screen is good too. The whole "lack of retina scan" deal is not a beg deal to me, and I borrowed someone's Ipad 3 before I got the mini.

Top Bottom