• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

which games was hwa jai in anyway? i only remember him from the original fatal fury and i didn't like him back then.

feels like this was back in another life.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Augemitbutter said:
which games was hwa jai in anyway? i only remember him from the original fatal fury and i didn't like him back then.

feels like this was back in another life.
Thats it.
Fatal Fury.

I guess they chose him because its easy to make from Joe sprites.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
tzare said:
http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Hwa_Jai

only in FF i think.

BTW Fersis, if you finally make that interview with SNKP, you should ask about head swapping :D
Its a 'technique' used to reuse assets. The most popular fighting game ever uses a lot as you know.

If the movesets and move properties end up being different from Joe im cool.
Head swapping doesnt bother me.

According to the SNK-wikia, Hwa:
His special techniques included a Flame Breath, a Twisting Punch attack, and the Rocket Kick, which launched him high offscreen
That'd be nice to see him get those moves.

EDIT: More vids:
http://www.tudou.com/v/cBuh9JjU-Og/v.swf
http://www.tudou.com/v/EWPItsUZisw/v.swf
http://www.tudou.com/v/3IuexP3f3gU/v.swf

EDIT: Hwa seems to have three versions of his knee (Ground horizontal, air horizontal and ground vertical) in addition to being able to qcb in the air.

Frankfurt

Banned
Master Thespian said:
According to the SNK-wikia

Those are Mugen moves. Hwa only had the Tiger Kick and Drinking in FF1 (not that he needed anything else - Tiger Kick took 40%).

Fersis said:
crazy Raiden costume

I think its based on some spiderman character.

Venom's. There was one video from the last loke with it.

Oh, and some Mature fans at CX are going psycho on other sites and saying it's a lie and Mature's not dead. :lol

n3ss

aka acr0nym
So, I'm not too familiar with the KOF series, but seems that KOF 98 is held in high regards, and after watching some SBO video's the game looks very fun. How does KOF XIII play in comparison? And aside from shit online play was KOF XII that bad? I only played it at e3 and wasn't digging it at all.

Sapiens

n3ss said:
So, I'm not too familiar with the KOF series, but seems that KOF 98 is held in high regards, and after watching some SBO video's the game looks very fun. How does KOF XIII play in comparison? And aside from shit online play was KOF XII that bad? I only played it at e3 and wasn't digging it at all.

Was it bad? In single player with the difficulty set to the max, it was probably the worse and easiest AI I've ever seen in a fighter. That bad.

You know the online was shyte, so we don't need to go too much into that. Lag fest.

I never had a chance to play Vs locally.

Fersis

n3ss said:
KOFXII was released unfinished, ie: some characters had two moves.
And KOFXIII its shaping up to be like 02. So i guess its going to be very popular. :D

Best KOFs (My personal opinion of course):
KOF XI
KOF 98UM
KOF 02UM

Stadium stage (Hwa Jai and his 'golden heel variations')

Takuma footage. Thanks to CX PenPen (Rotate your monitor)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
n3ss said:

XII was a non-standard KOF.

XIII seems to be more orthodox, but with gameplay stuff added on.

98 is the king of KOF- most balanced (outside of Krauser, who is SF4 Sagat) and most balanced gameplay between offense and defense. Too early to tell what XIII will be like, but it looks promising- and in the vein of 98 and 02 (which are the only great KOFs)

Just like Capcom had SFA1 and SF3:NG, KOF had its stinkers as well.

It looks like Takuma has some heavy gameplay changes. I like.

GrayFoxPL

NeonZ said:
Two head swap characters in this game? I guess that shows they're really dedicated to increasing the roster in spite of their time/resources. I like that attitude, even if it results in things like this. Just hope he gets more original attacks than what has been shown so far.

I think it's bad. It shows that SNKP run out of money and resources long ago. I expected Vice to be Mature head swap but not HJ. He was fun looking and acting character in FF1 and I didn't notice he was Joes headswap, if he was then they made him pretty unique so I didn't notice. Here it looks awful. You can count the number of new frames drawn to him. Everything is just copy pasted with different prioryties. SNKP could've just made EX Joe and saved themselves the embarasment. I expected H J to be KOF's Adon.
Major thumb down SNKP.

I can hope he is in ALPHA stage of development, but it's futile. They won't pull out new frames from their asses. Now it seems they're only editing what was left of KOF XII development.

HWa Jai was also in Fatal Fury The Motion Picture.

ReXXXSoprano said:
I just gotta finish Final Fight Streetwise so I can review it. Not as bad as everybody said it was.

I adore Streetwise. Such missunderstood game. Also has funniest writening, dialog and cutscenes ever.

"Everyone says I have this potential. Potential's good. I'm feeling good being potentially good."

Whore blows Weasel behind his desk. Kyle barges in:
"I'm looking for someone known as the Stiff"
Whore rises from under the desk.
"You're not the only one Honey."

Btw. Good luck on the last boss. ;)

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
arstal said:

98 is the king of KOF- most balanced (outside of Krauser, who is SF4 Sagat) and most balanced gameplay between offense and defense. Too early to tell what XIII will be like, but it looks promising- and in the vein of 98 and 02 (which are the only great KOFs)

Street Fighter Alpha & Street Fighter 3 stinkers?

Fersis

Master Thespian said:
RALF NeoMAX !!!
The NeoMAX are so flashy! Love it. :3

FTWer said:

2128u9d.png

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Master Thespian said:

Looks like his KOF2k3 LDM if it was transported into the MvC2 universe.

All the Neomaxes I've seen look like Marvel supers. I'm ok with that.

FTWer said:

Games were pretty much hated on and not played seriously at all. Mostly due to being very incomplete and full of gameplay holes. Just like how 96 and 2k1 are considered the worst KOFs gameplaywise.

GrayFoxPL

Kyo's ex dp made me hard! It's 11 hits and goes all the way up screen! O_O

Best ex ever.

Takuma is badass.

Robert has Rugal's palette swap. :lol

Every vid from Tudou so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv10s87z584
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TgfeYU5Rtg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJIImmmn-IE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gZmjMAxP1o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2z3hEbe1E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp1wAyKAJVc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICFG3EZpZHQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZnJa3-alVE

GrayFoxPL said:
I adore Streetwise. Such missunderstood game. Also has funniest writening, dialog and cutscenes ever.

"Everyone says I have this potential. Potential's good. I'm feeling good being potentially good."

Whore blows Weasel behind his desk. Kyle barges in:
"I'm looking for someone known as the Stiff"
Whore rises from under the desk.
"You're not the only one Honey."

Btw. Good luck on the last boss. ;)

After the turn the game just took I'm probably gonna need it.

Fersis said:
ReXXXSoprano Hyper Drive cancelling all up on this thread. ;)

We all have things we're good at. This just happens to be my one of many. And from the VP of KOFXIII Hype I'll treasure your compliment always or some shit like that.

Fersis

ReXXXSoprano Hyper Drive cancelling all up on this thread. ;)

Frankfurt

Banned
Joe's and Ralf's NeoMax are jaw-dropping. Ralf's straight out of Hokuto no Ken. :lol

Terry's and Takuma's are nice, too. Shame we didn't see Ryo's fully. But from his line, it's the "one-hit kill" special (623623 + P).

digita1alchemy said:
I thought it actually played pretty well...but that everything else was a mess.

I honestly think that they were headed in the right direction but they GTA'd it up and that just didn't sit too well with me. They should've stuck with 7 Sons instead of changing it to what Streetwise became. Maybe it would've been better received if it stuck to its guns.

OH YEAH, NEW VID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xypB00QKQwc

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Fersis said:
KOFXII was released unfinished, ie: some characters had two moves.
And KOFXIII its shaping up to be like 02. So i guess its going to be very popular. :D

Best KOFs (My personal opinion of course):
KOF XI
KOF 98UM
KOF 02UM

Stadium stage (Hwa Jai and his 'golden heel variations')

Takuma footage. Thanks to CX PenPen (Rotate your monitor)

arstal said:

Thank you, and thank you :D
I'll be keeping my eye on this game!

tzare

wow, takuma is A W E S O M E. Fuck yeah, also loving some of those neomax, i just hope they cannot be spammed easily:D

Fersis

tzare said:
wow, takuma is A W E S O M E. Fuck yeah, also loving some of those neomax, i just hope they cannot be spammed easily:D
You have to burn all your meter so dont worry.

n3ss said:
Thank you, and thank you :D
I'll be keeping my eye on this game!
Just check this thread. :D

ReXXXSoprano said:
I honestly think that they were headed in the right direction but they GTA'd it up and that just didn't sit too well with me. They should've stuck with 7 Sons instead of changing it to what Streetwise became. Maybe it would've been better received if it stuck to its guns.

Nice,USA Stage changes between rounds.

GrayFoxPL

Frankfurt said:
Terry's and Takuma's are nice, too. Shame we didn't see Ryo's fully. But from his line, it's the "one-hit kill" special (623623 + P).

Please limit the numpad notations to zero x_x. As your post proves they are profoundly confusing even for those who use them. It's 236236+P if you must.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SephirothRK said:
Wow, crazy.

NeoMax = HDM?

EDIT: So you can do NeoMax when you are powered up and have 3 bars.

I'm really impressed with Tak. I just wish they had spread the move around to Hwa/Vice as well. They feel rushed.

The thing that really impressed me is how unique Tak felt compared to his other versions.

There is time though- and I think it's likely Hwa will get his own stuff more in the next build. Vice, not so much.

Fersis

arstal said:
I'm really impressed with Tak. I just wish they had spread the move around to Hwa/Vice as well. They feel rushed.

The thing that really impressed me is how unique Tak felt compared to his other versions.

There is time though- and I think it's likely Hwa will get his own stuff more in the next build. Vice, not so much.
They arent finished.
Theres a lot of new moves since the last loketest. (For instance: Chin drinking mechanic)
Vice has his 98 moveset. (Grab,Shoulder rush,etc)

Sapiens

henhowc said:
Hwa Jai = Joe headswap? What is this mortal kombat? :D

Hey, even Street Fighter III had a bunch of headswaps. Ken/Ryu/Akuma/Sean.

It's just what 2d games do.

At least Takuma seems to have been spared.

Also, Hwa and Joe started out as a headswap in the original Fatal Fury:

joe-fatalfury1-stance.gif
hwajai-stance.gif

Frankfurt

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Please limit the numpad notations to zero x_x. As your post proves they are profoundly confusing even for those who use them. It's 236236+P if you must.

Yeah, i don't like them either, but i was in a rush and felt it would be easier to type then d,df,f... which made it even more fail on my part.

Fersis

So the Egypt and USA stages change over rounds. Nice touch.

I think that we have enough stages now. :3 (One less thing to bitch about)

Terry Neomax near 3:10

EDIT: By the way, Ogura art is off the hook.

Frankfurt

Banned
Impressions from PenPen (from Orochinagi)

First tiem impressions (day 1):

Graphics are awsum. But I'm a pretty low bar setter in these regards, but I do find them very pleasing. No shadowing issues in XII appearing here anymore. Maybe I'm used to uber closeup sprites in XII, but it now somehow needs some getting used to from me. Neomax effects are dramatic and it's like suddenly they went nuts for a split second doing something we never saw before. The wow factor is awesome.

The music is what we heard on the website, bears no repeating. It's good. That's all.

The color palette's pretty cool and amazing. I saw some pretty unique color combination, Kyo had this Shin Kyo color and Iori has two variants of his current suit, etc. And to top it off, the character select screen's timer does give you sufficient time to choose 3 characters AND their respective colors (if you are choosing your characters semi-decisively).

Controls aren't uber responsive, I had times where I tried to do a DP, but then instead a jump comes out. I think it may be my own alignment problem more than the stick's. But the feedback has been the stick isn't as responsive as the players want.

On Drive Cancels (are they called Drive Cancels?), it's too easy to pull off without warning. At times I try to do a dp, and then it comes out with a qcf move (eg my Kyo does a dp+C and then a qcf+C comes out after the first hit). I'd prefer personally that I am at least able to drive cancel like I wanted to.

The hyper drive bar seems to be an auto-fill bar which is fine to me. It does feel very much like 2k2(UM) to me when people activate it.

It seems like a lot more normals can be kara-cancelled. First thing comes to mind for me is Shen Woo's low D. Kyo's far C is now also cancellable. However, I must note that some normals like Kyo's close C seems to have a smaller than usual cancelling window. At times, you need to input the next move early.

Speaking of which. I'm not 100% sure whether all far/close attacks are back yet. The majority of them are, but eg. Ryo still is stuck with his old standing D in XII and I haven't seen Kyo do a close D yet.

Character impressions:
Kyo - Compared to XII Kyo, he doesn't have a gameplay revolving pressing B like a madman. While his low B->standing B->whatever combo is still around, it's harder to come out. His Oniyaki still feels nigh invincible. His Orochinagi still has the old invincibility. Air Orochinagi for combos and so far is only used by cancelling his rdp+D.
Mature - Very fast, and in the right hands, can be pretty much the hardest character to deal with. Low A into qcb+K is super safe, can repeat on block, can combo (but obviously not repeatable into an infinite). qcb+P is easy hit confirm and safe. I think she's the best of the lot. Easy combos, good damage, hard to get away from on defense. EX fierball juggles if you didn't know.
Terry - RISING TACO has some pretty good invincibility. Buster Wolf won't continue on block. Trap Shoot is not an overhead, I think. If you ask me, I think he's pretty much the same from XII in general.
Ryo - Fireball seems to have improved slightly. His hcb+K now moves faster (thank god) than XII. Otherwise, it's very much like what he was in XII. f+A doesn't knockdown anymore but I never tried cancelling that into anything. You can sorta play him like 2k2 Ryo and it works pretty well.
Larf - Only saw him once and I can only think of one thing...is his vulcan punch *that* invincible in XII? Seems to protect him really well if the other character is in range and trying to do something funny.
Ash - qcfx2+P is much faster now, yay. His Neomax is pretty nice but maybe aside from the Neomax vid on SNKP, since it's a grab super, most Ash players will jump in and perform that. It does look awesome, but I think it's not an instant grab...like Kyo's Kamikura before 2k2UM.
Joe - Thank god that his dp+K is slower. I don't think I'm seeing anything different aside from that.
Takuma - The stance looks weird but this guy is fierce. Has 98 Takuma's movelist but with now a bigger fierball, his db,f+D may juggle but pushes the opponent farther than before, so no zan retsu ken followup for you (maybe aside from corners). In fact, so far nobody connected anything from it yet. He has another variant of his fierball where he sorta like does his 2k2 incarnation's HSKK (the invisible one) and a fierball comes out. He also has this guard break move which allows him to followup with whatever within a short timespan. His Neomax is useful, and is well worth the stock usage. In short, he good.
Leona - Nothing I never saw before in XII, except for her EX X-slasher.
Athena - Saw her once, but I think she can set up her shield move and do other stuff while the shield is up (which lasts for a second or two I think).
Kim - Nothing else you never saw before, very much is the guy you already know about from XII and early XIII loketest feedback.
Shen Woo - Oh my gawd, I think he's probably the most toned down character from XII. The only thing I can see improving is his qcb+A's speed. Reduced range in his low D. C version of SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE has chargeup time of around a split second regardless if you're charging or not, A version of SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE if hit is actually a 50-50 with your opponent where you can get thrown. SHEN WOO UPPERCUT is slow - I mean XII D version slow, doesn't seem to connect from weak attacks even if it's his B version (I can't fathom how slow his D version will be). Never tried SHEN WOO BITCHSLAP yet, hopefully it's at least same as XII. And yes, you can do SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE into SHEN WOO UPPERCUT once in a blue moon if he can do drive cancels. SHEN WOO GOES SSJ takes 2 stocks, lets him do more damage and does a quick closeup of him. SHEN WOO PUNCH is pretty much same as XII. So if you ask me, I think he now sucks.
Hwa Jai - Joe clone...after all this writing of Shen and his disappointments in XIII, cut me some slack here (see my post above). D:

Neomaxes I saw:
Terry - Starts off like his Power Stream (WUSS POWER!) in 2k3, but then it turns out to be like a fullscreen beam attack of sorts at the end (think zillions of geysers appearing from the ground). Super awesome.
Joe - Does a windup (like his 2k3 LDM) and then punches a hurricane forward, horizontally for major ouchage.
Ryo - Shin Tenchi Haoh Ken, but does seem to trade hits with opponent. It was used to KO so can't tell about the damage/counter damage and dizziness effect, if any.
Takuma - Shoryuken by bringing the opponent offscreen with him, and then supposedly lands with the opponent beneath him with a karate chop. In my first vid, with Kyo he apparently caused a bug which caused Kyo to slide away afterwards.
Larf - Larf summons his inner Kenshiro fanboyism, turns red, and does something either like ZA WARUDO/ORA ORA fists of fury or Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken or whatever mango/animu multi punch. Covers the halfscreen space in front of him. After this, he needs like a second of cooldown.
Ash - It's liek...Kyo's Kamikura!

Neomax damage seems to have some relation to your current lifebar's length.

Leona:
Not too different from XII, except for her jump qcb+A, C version follows XII. Her jump qcb+AC (EX ver) does 5 hits, the slash stays in the air. EX version good for pressuring by doing qcb,ub+AC, if it hits, you can continue with a combo.
Drive cancel combo can do: d,u+C -> b,f+B ->d,u+C loop, can do around 40% damage and pushes opponent into corner. Then you can pressure again with qcb,ub+AC afterwards.

King:
Plays like 98UM EX King. With air fierball, can stall some jumps with qcf,uf+K (low air fierball).
df+D unfortunately not cancellable. dp+K doesn't connect from weak attacks. hcb+K and qcfx2+P are good anti-airs.

Hwa Jai:
Normals are the same as Joe (pretty much), but he can cancel off his standing B while Joe can't.
dp+K: B version flies 45 degrees, has invincibility. D version flies forward, no invincibility. EX version flies forward, but if blocked will pass through the opponent.
Air dp+K: B version flies down 45 degrees. D version flies forward. EX version feels like B version so far.
For DMs, qcf,hcb+P is a running grab, can connect after f+B. Qcfx2+K is a ranbu (even though when I did it it feels like it was a slash kick).
Can consider a high-damaging Joe. Low B -> B -> f+b -> qcf,hcb+P already does 40% off. If at the corner, if working with drive cancels he'll hurt even more.

Vice:
Close D is only 1 hit. Far C cancellable. No f+A anymore, no high-low games.
No hcf+P and qcb+K.
qcb+C feels slower, but qcb+A can connect from weak attacks still. Her qcf+P followup is still around. Vice instead moves forward more for the followup instead of jumping higher. The followup somehow seems to be able to be performed on its own, but the input motion is unknown.
dp+P still unknown.
hcf+K has no damage, slower to come out. Will pull the opponent to you.

ReXXXSoprano said:

WHOA! Ralf's and Joe's NeoMax's are totally awesome and BADASS! Ralf's especially seemed like a nod to Luffy's Jet Gatling.

tzare said:
ohhhh man, i am heavily hyped. I NEED a console RELEASE DATE please SNKP :D

I need a promise online play will be Capcom level competent, as I'm not expecting ASW level AMAZING!

Not asking for much here guys; just a reason to keep this franchise alive, and for KoF open it up to a new audience and thriving fan base.

Please.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Man, this NeoMAX look so Fucking awesome!!

I can't... really, I can't wait to see K and Kula NeoMAX!!! *drools*

So far none of them have disappoint me, they look epic! :D

Top Bottom