• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
19 or so new fight vids!: 7-19-2010 AI Matches, uploaded by Giby!

Haven't watched any from the set yet, so can't comment.

5 Videos from Japan, via Smoai:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCrd4b52Ko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNu8LSXM0LQ&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjSJacoETBw&feature=channel
NEW: Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fjcRqidl7Y&translated=1
NEW: Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uMRs3ypT_o&feature=channel
NEW: Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Nms2szV_E
NEW: Part 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKuNhtHB9fk

The first one has some Mai play! Haven't watched the 3rd myself yet.

from Marche686:
Athena Max Cancel Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivKgqsnYCHk
Training mode practice with Kyo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX9yeJz6-ww

I find these to be good example of how strict the timing is on cancels in this game. The Tech-refs make them look kinda easy, but listening to the button presses here + seeing all the attempts, it's gonna take some dedicated playing! (No problem!)

Frankfurt said:
Anyone disturbed by the Iori-colored Kula? She looks like she's in diapers! Why the hell did they color her pants white? Should've been red like the chaps!

Eh, if her stomach wasn't also colored white, I'd see it. But with the stomach and top of pants, it actually just remind me of the amount of white shirt that Iori shows.

The detail I like on that specific outfit, is that she gets the Iori Crecent Moon on her back. That's a bit more than I expected!

SAB CA said:
Save for the lack of Blonde hair, I'm more convinced it's a nod to Sanji's Red Leg technique on One Piece.

Fits in well with Ralf's Neomax Referencing Luffy.

That's what I originally thought, Benimaru also has a Zoro outfit IIRC (white shirt, green hair).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Choppasmith said:
That's what I originally thought, Benimaru also has a Zoro outfit IIRC (white shirt, green hair).

Good point, now that you mention it. Now should look at Black hair, purple outfit Kula as Nico Robin? :lol I think SNKP might just have a serious love for One Piece...

I imagine Athena must have a color tribute to almost every anime schoolgirl ever known, as well.... With Eva 01 Maxima, I wonder if there's any appropiate Rei and Asuka color'd ladies...

So many references... Joker Kyo, Rock Howard Kyo, Iron Man-Maxima (Iron Manshima!), "Fat Venom" Raiden, Rachel Yuri, Zangief Raiden, Ryu Ryo, Rugal Robert... I'm going to have as much fun making color-theme teams as actually playing...

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Frankfurt said:
Anyone disturbed by the Iori-colored Kula? She looks like she's in diapers! Why the hell did they color her pants white? Should've been red like the chaps!

Yup, one of my complains on Kula color pallets, I don't like how they color it. Hopefully they add a 2nd set of colors in which will make her lower top body skin colored, like in this sprite:
KulaSkinmod-1.png

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, anyone out there got some gameplay-related thoughts? I'm having fun watching Giby's AI videos. You can easily tell they're getting better, and we're starting to see some strategic EX use, character variety, and more comfort with the game system.

I like seeing Elisabeth and Goro putting up solid fights VS all the Kyo's and K'. When Mr.KOF isn't playing, you really don't see that much Ryo, Robert, or Andy...

Can't wait till we see the buffed-up Chin. Apparently he can free-cancel out of his hcf+k move (no drive cancels required), so he pretty much can land solid combos and damage off a far-distance, high-fireball/attack-invincible attack roll. Sounds fantastic!

Dali

SAB CA said:
19 or so new fight vids!: 7-19-2010 AI Matches, uploaded by Giby!

Haven't watched any from the set yet, so can't comment.

5 Videos from Japan, via Smoai:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCrd4b52Ko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNu8LSXM0LQ&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjSJacoETBw&feature=channel
NEW: Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fjcRqidl7Y&translated=1
NEW: Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uMRs3ypT_o&feature=channel
NEW: Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Nms2szV_E
NEW: Part 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKuNhtHB9fk

The first one has some Mai play! Haven't watched the 3rd myself yet.

from Marche686:
Athena Max Cancel Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivKgqsnYCHk
Training mode practice with Kyo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX9yeJz6-ww

I find these to be good example of how strict the timing is on cancels in this game. The Tech-refs make them look kinda easy, but listening to the button presses here + seeing all the attempts, it's gonna take some dedicated playing! (No problem!)

Eh, if her stomach wasn't also colored white, I'd see it. But with the stomach and top of pants, it actually just remind me of the amount of white shirt that Iori shows.

The detail I like on that specific outfit, is that she gets the Iori Crecent Moon on her back. That's a bit more than I expected!
Rock Kyo? That's pretty nice.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SAB CA said:
So, anyone out there got some gameplay-related thoughts? I'm having fun watching Giby's AI videos. You can easily tell they're getting better, and we're starting to see some strategic EX use, character variety, and more comfort with the game system.

I like seeing Elisabeth and Goro putting up solid fights VS all the Kyo's and K'. When Mr.KOF isn't playing, you really don't see that much Ryo, Robert, or Andy...

Can't wait till we see the buffed-up Chin. Apparently he can free-cancel out of his hcf+k move (no drive cancels required), so he pretty much can land solid combos and damage off a far-distance, high-fireball/attack-invincible attack roll. Sounds fantastic!

I think it's so hard to talk about gameplay when most of us haven't even played the game. =/
The good gameplay discussion are done when we all have the game and we start talking of stuff we learn. Unless something like BBCS situation happens, I doubt we will be talking about the gameplay of the game at all. I kinda wish Arcade UFO had the game, I could drive there to just play the game! :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
I think it's so hard to talk about gameplay when most of us haven't even played the game. =/
The good gameplay discussion are done when we all have the game and we start talking of stuff we learn. Unless something like BBCS situation happens, I doubt we will be talking about the gameplay of the game at all. I kinda wish Arcade UFO had the game, I could drive there to just play the game! :lol

Guess that's the general feeling here! I find gameplay vids just as good for gameplay discussion as actual play, but I suppose that's more of an SRK-level forum think, than a GAF-level thing.

It's like..

"YAY, Gameplay! LOTS OF IT! Dude! Hey, guys, look!"
"............................"
"Wasn't that awesome?!? Did you see that??"
"..................................." *crickets*
"Guys? GUYS?"

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SAB CA said:
Guess that's the general feeling here! I find gameplay vids just as good for gameplay discussion as actual play, but I suppose that's more of an SRK-level forum think, than a GAF-level thing.

It's like..

"YAY, Gameplay! LOTS OF IT! Dude! Hey, guys, look!"
"............................"
"Wasn't that awesome?!? Did you see that??"
"..................................." *crickets*
"Guys? GUYS?"
I dont talk about gameplay to avoid the 'its so broken and unbalanced!!! SNKP is the worst thing ever' talk.
I mean its cool once we get the game. :lol
But if you want to i could talk/speculate about gameplay.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
I dont talk about gameplay to avoid the 'its so broken and unbalanced!!! SNKP is the worst thing ever' talk.
I mean its cool once we get the game. :lol
But if you want to i could talk/speculate about gameplay.

Oh, of course I'd enjoy it XD But don't wanna make you go aganist your principles :lol

I like keeping the Hype thread active, keeping it in front of peoples eyes, constantly poking at people curiousity, especially since this game seems to hold up under the scrutiny. It warms the heart, to hear the AI guys talking about their being LINES in a US arcade to play a KOF...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SAB CA said:
Oh, of course I'd enjoy it XD But don't wanna make you go aganist your principles :lol

I like keeping the Hype thread active, keeping it in front of peoples eyes, constantly poking at people curiousity, especially since this game seems to hold up under the scrutiny. It warms the heart, to hear the AI guys talking about their being LINES in a US arcade to play a KOF...
Yup... feel the same here . Specially after KOFXII.
KOFXII is like Geese's scar that makes him stronger.
It hurts but its over now... THE KING IS BACK!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SAB CA said:

Well that is because later it turns into "Theory Fighter" and you know how Theory Fighter ends up like. :lol

Frankfurt

Banned
Last KOF i had anyone to play with was '98, so my days of paying close attention to move properties is long, long gone. Right now, gameplay-wise, i'm only hoping hops feel good, and wondering about how Vice plays (waiting for anyone that can use the new Decide).

Anyway, going back to meaningless things, does Kula have an Ash color, this time (like in MI)? K's has one...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Heh heh, this sounds like the "Bitter old jaded men, speaking of days long past!" thread :lol Hype thread indeed!

But hey, I'll contribute too! My best local friend to talk fighters with, has now fallen into the "explosions are fun!" gaming mentality. Thus, I'd prefer SOME KoF related talk, weather it be Theroy, Sweet and Salty, or Extra Creepy, then none at all.

But anyway... this game easily looks like it'll deserve some serious discussion and fandom, once theroy and speculation meet actual execution and personal play.

I... don't think Kula has an Ash color. Do we know of anyone in this game that has a color that references more than 1 other current cast member?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Oh come on SAB, at least this thread is a bit more active than in other Forums for what I have seen.

I'm hype and I bet a lot of other people are, but not having a hint on the Console Ver release and only Arcade in ALL US to have KOF13 atm is AI, it's kinda hard to come up with material. :lol

But cheer, this topic will not die, because we have SBO soon! :D

I'm a little bored so....
75180_Nintendo3DS-Photo-01XIII234234234.jpg

Why not?! I'd think the engine would be able to run on the 3DS. Sprites look even smaller though...

75180_Nintendo3DS-Photo-01234234234.jpg

So maybe a XII Remix? :D I'm probably the only one would would buy something like that. Time for the return of good portable fighters! If only that "nub" was a click stick!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wow, DS XIII, that's scary! XD

Hmmm... Can we make the NDS into Neo Geo Play More Pocket? :lol
I have no belief the 3DS could run a straight port... There'd either be background compromises, or animation cut... (Definately has to be a resolution cut, at least for the BGs).

Did they do BB for PSP already? I'm not sure how that turned out...I just knew I didn't care, lol. Darkstalkers PSP really turned me off of non-3D fighters on the system...

Even the most basic "heawswap" characters in XIII have better stance and move animation than Trish in MVC3! :lol I'm just suprised noone else feels how stiff and "junior animation department!" her moves look, SO FAR...

Frankfurt

Banned
I think we will see a port to handhelds at some point. Even if it's toned down somehow. Gotta milk those expensive sprites, you know.

And my interest in the 3DS so far is all about DOA, so this would take it over the edge.

PSP did have GG, and can run BB remotelly and there's a port too (don't know if it's out yet). I can't stand the PSP controls, though.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Oh, I love Kula taunt, it's so awesome! :lol

Thanks SAB!

Oh, do you guys remember that blog or FAQ in which it says that King ending is quite important or something along those lines?

Well someone (I don't remember in what forums I read it, I read a lot) someone mentioned that a possible secret team could be Elisabeth, Ash and King. Why King? Because she is the only other character that is from FRANCE and fits the criteria meet by KOF97 Sacred Treasures team, which was 1 Character from the Main Team (Kyo in this case), one Edit Entry (Iori in this case) and a member of the Women Team (Chizuru in this case). All this character in KOF97 were Japanese. So this time it could be the same, but with King added to the mix, yet I don't see any direct relationship between King and Ash or Elisabeth, unless there is something we don't know yet.

I must say it's a interesting theory, I wonder if someone will try Ash, Elisabeth and King Team in Arcades just to see if we see something new.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-KimKapJusticeSmile-:D

I remember hearing about the King from CX, I believe. Nice theroy there. Wouldn't be too hard to imagine King's family could have something to do with Ash's, or Betty's. Wonder if they said anything special to each other back in KoF XI?

In other news, Kane's been uploading some more match vids:
The first Big one, 3 fights, 3rd is especially close.

The others can be found in his Channel. A total of 5 new vids from today, as of this writing.

Among the things you'll see in the vids:
Kyo owning people (duh), A decent Kensou, Goro's jump CD causing Counter Wire, Chin's new Meterless cancels, Blitz-style Duo Lon Mixups, and a lot of Elisabeth!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
市来光弘さんと KOF XIII 開発スタッフの野試合

More SNKP-provided video of Ichiki VS the KOF Dev staff!

2 updates on the blog too: 1 for KOF Merchandise, and the other talking about The video posted about a "Best Battle" collection from an extra 2 hours Ichiki spent fighting, I believe.

(Note: Considering Ichiki is also Ash's voice actor in XIII, should we feel doubly bad for how he's getting treated with this game? :lol )

Finaika

Frankfurt said:
Kula in diapers sounds hawt.

Wanted to bump this thread in the midst of the SF and Tekken craziness and say I hope this game catches on and lets SNK continue their fighting game legacy. The game looks great so I hope one day Capcom vs SNK 2 makes it to xlba, CvSNK3 one day gets announced and we see SNK fighters at EVO.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
robut said:
Wanted to bump this thread in the midst of the SF and Tekken craziness and say I hope this game catches on and lets SNK continue their fighting game legacy. The game looks great so I hope one day Capcom vs SNK 2 makes it to xlba, CvSNK3 one day gets announced and we see SNK fighters at EVO.

KOF"s best shot for EVO is next year, but I don't think XIII will be out by then.

If it is, I'm going. I need to prove myself.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SAB CA said:
I do wonder if all the Cross overs might force SNKP to add some guest characters of their own, at least come console release.

Fighters History, Street Fighter, A Samsho character, a character from whatever other game they would wanna "HD" next... it'd be fun, if done correctly.

Ahh well, anyway, here's a vid of a familiar Robert beating the heck out of another player from A.I!

KOFXII had crossover chars from Kizuna and Buriki One.

What could work: Samurai Shodown X Soul Calibur- set in a similar timeframe as well- both 18th century I think.

Or Fatal Fury vs Final Fight.

With SNK handdrawing and capcom rendering, SNK vs Capcom stuff would be harder to do.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
KOFXII had crossover chars from Kizuna and Buriki One.

What could work: Samurai Shodown X Soul Calibur- set in a similar timeframe as well- both 18th century I think.

Or Fatal Fury vs Final Fight.

With SNK handdrawing and capcom rendering, SNK vs Capcom stuff would be harder to do.

-nod- I'd love to see them do in XIII what they did with XI. I know it's much more work, which is why I'd hope they'd use something with some additional planning in mind, or at least something that'd pull in players of other companies/series/etc.

SamSho X SoulCal would be fantastic if done right (Sen wants to be that way anyway), and I'd actually love to see what kinda hybrid style they'd come up with.

Back to KoF though, If SNKP could get Capcom to let them have 1 guest character, as a bit of cross promotion to pull some SF players to KoF... I'd love to see C.Viper make it in. :lol Just like Ryo in FF2 lead to the KoF series, a simple cross like that could help open doors...

-DarKaoZ- said:
Wow... that is scary.

I need direct feed matches!! =(

No kiddin... Gotta agree with TTOB on watching Ichiki's best bouts... seeing the game direct feed once again, at high quality, felt so very good.

Hunahan

Banned
Honestly, KOF will not be a smash hit no matter what. The video game market quite simply doesn't give a shit about 2D games, and they don't care about SNK style either. Shitty but true.

I guess it's pretty easy to forget that KOF is a crossover to begin with. They all seem like KOF characters by this point, even though it was all a giant mash-up on intro.

Still, I don't think any of those ideas sound good, really. It just sounds like gimmicks. I mean....Soul Calibur? Really?

As basic as it sounds, I honestly think it mostly boils down to the fact that KOF and VF will always be niche because they weren't launched on a successful home console.

Yeah, KOF eventually moved off the Neo, but the PS1 ports were shit, and by the time the PS2 and Dreamcast stuff was floating, it was really already too late for any hope of mainstream relevance.

The best SNKP can realistically hope for is to carve out enough of a niche for die-hard fans and retro enthusiasts to keep them floating. I just hope there are enough of us still out there.

A Metal Slug with this kind of sprite-work would probably have the best chance of anything to make some money...but considering how poor of an effort MS 7/XX was, I honestly don't even know if they still have it in them to pull it off from a gameplay perspective.

Hunahan said:
Honestly, KOF will not be a smash hit no matter what. The video game market quite simply doesn't give a shit about 2D games, and they don't care about SNK style either. Shitty but true.

I guess it's pretty easy to forget that KOF is a crossover to begin with. They all seem like KOF characters by this point, even though it was all a giant mash-up on intro.

Still, I don't think any of those ideas sound good, really. It just sounds like gimmicks. I mean....Soul Calibur? Really?

As basic as it sounds, I honestly think it mostly boils down to the fact that KOF and VF will always be niche because they weren't launched on a successful home console.

Yeah, KOF eventually moved off the Neo, but the PS1 ports were shit, and by the time the PS2 and Dreamcast stuff was floating, it was really already too late for any hope of mainstream relevance.

The best SNKP can realistically hope for is to carve out enough of a niche for die-hard fans and retro enthusiasts to keep them floating. I just hope there are enough of us still out there.

A Metal Slug with this kind of sprite-work would probably have the best chance of anything to make some money...but considering how poor of an effort MS 7/XX was, I honestly don't even know if they still have it in them to pull it off from a gameplay perspective.

All I want is solid online play so fans can enjoy the game together, and if it's good; hopefully turn some new folks onto it.

Frankfurt

Banned
Word on Cyberfanatix is that Adelheid is time-unlocked (720 hours).

The guy had nothing to back it up, so... massive grain of salt (i personally think it's bullshit, but i can't help but mention it).

arstal said:
KOF"s best shot for EVO is next year, but I don't think XIII will be out by then.

Unless SNK is completelly insane (...), they will release this at least a month or two before MVC3 or MK9.

SAB CA said:
Fighters History, Street Fighter, A Samsho character, a character from whatever other game they would wanna "HD" next... it'd be fun, if done correctly.

I would kill for a Karnov appearence. Hell, i would take Mastorius, even. They had Mizoguchi in MIA, so...

Also, they were planning on having characters like those in XII. Nona said so himself, back in 2006 or 2007 (he didn't mention who, just that they would be like the XI characters).

Hunahan said:

I agree. I don't need more crossover games. KOF is already one (the only enjoyable one, IMO - CVS was a massive dissapointment, as every VS game).

Also, if XIII sell in the 300,000 - 400,000 range (plus a decent arcade run) i think it'll be enough for SNK. I don't think KOF will ever go past that, anyway.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Adel rumor sounds feisable, but yeah, definitely a "wait and see" deal. I'll be quite happy if it's true.

SNKP seems to know how to work the nostalgia/references angle rather well, so a bit of crossover action would actually fit. Mizoguchi being the only FH/Karnov character to appear in a recent SNKP does seem strange, and with Nona's previous commentary on guest characters. the Billy Rumors/Data, and the existance of XI, I could see them deciding to put their time into making some guest appearances, as opposed to other KOF Standbys, for console release.

I know if I had some power within SNKP, with Capcom's current X-over sprees, along with SF 2D fans feeling burnt by the companies move to 3D graphics, I'd get something SF/Capcom 2D related into this game.

Not Ryu or Ken, but perhaps SFIII's Alex, C. Viper, Ingrid, a character from Rival Schools, even a character from Warzard... something that would help appeal to the Capcom 2D-sprite fans, who are getting almost no love at all.

If the general public doesn't fawn over the great graphic style you've created, you might as well try and get all the people who like sprites under your umbrella; Even if those people haven't been a fan of your games in the past, right?

Of course, again, I'm not saying the game NEEDS this stuff, but given the competetion out there, one might as well prep as many guns as they're able to, y'know? Unlike the other companies, who can publish multiple games under their names constantly, SNKP would probably benefit the most from trying to make this one game gain a long tail of success.

This game might not become a "smash hit" (Though I'd love for it to), but I think it's poised to become SNKP's biggest success in recent years.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
About Adelheid rumor, I kinda want to believe it's true, because KOF XIII it's weird without him, he doesn't even appear in cutscenes at all.

Also IIRC the arcade ver of KOF XI had something similar in which it unlocked characters after certain amount of time. So I wouldn't be surprised if SNKP did this too in XIII, but who knows, like SAB said, it's a wait and see kind of thing.

Fersis

XI had time locked characters.
Adel was one of them i think... along the mighty Gai Tendo

If this is true then ... well what can i say more than: @____@

By the way, could someone explain me Chin and Hwa bottles?
Do they have any extra moves while 'drunk' ?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I wonder if White Saiki will also be unlockable after certain time, because like I said before, there is artwork for his dialog box. I doubt they did it just to do it.

So we can expect, Adelheid, White Saiki and maybe Billy from Double Dragon to make an appearance. Plus the 2 bosses, which are Red Saiki and Dash Ash. That kinda fills the 5 gap in the character select screen in the official site.

Frankfurt

Banned
Other things that make me think Adel rumor is bullshit: XIII's Guidebook is being released on the 4th. Before Adel's reported time-release arrival (assuming the number of hours is correct).

If Adel is only coming a few weeks later, why release the book (and spoil it) on the 4th? So far, all KOF arcade guides show endings, characters and secrets - even little details like unique intros. Hell, the 2003 one had the infinite and floating bugs, even. SNK times that kind of stuff within days (every single character announced in NGBC, SVC, KOF XI, XII, XIII was shown in Famitsu, Arcadia and/or official site the same week as an arcade appearance).

Also the rumor mentions Adel's ending. How would anyone have seen his ending? Knowing he's in by running a debug and/or looking at the code is one thing. Watching an ending is another.

I would love to be proven wrong, though, as Adel not being in this game is a huge hole.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Frankfurt said:
Other things that make me think Adel rumor is bullshit: XIII's Guidebook is being released on the 4th. Before Adel's reported time-release arrival (assuming the number of hours is correct).

If Adel is only coming a few weeks later, why release the book (and spoil it) on the 4th? So far, all KOF arcade guides show endings, characters and secrets - even little details like unique intros. Hell, the 2003 one had the infinite and floating bugs, even. SNK times that kind of stuff within days (every single character announced in NGBC, SVC, KOF XI, XII, XIII was shown in Famitsu, Arcadia and/or official site the same week as an arcade appearance).

Also the rumor mentions Adel's ending. How would anyone have seen his ending? Knowing he's in by running a debug and/or looking at the code is one thing. Watching an ending is another.

I would love to be proven wrong, though, as Adel not being in this game is a huge hole.

Well the guide might be out this soon because SBO is just around the corner and they want the participants to learn all they can for SBO. Well that is my assumption on this deal, so that could be a reason why they are releasing this guide NOW. They might release another one for the console version or something, I don't know.

But I really hope Adelheid stuff is real.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
arstal said:
What I really want- is playable Adel AND Rose.

I really doubt Rose will ever be playable, that is the whole point of her. She has the attitude and thirst for power as her father, but she can't fight. Yet Adelheid can fight but he is a sportsman and he respects his opponents. That is the point of her, to be what Adelheid is missing to become a Rugal clone, and I kinda like that. :lol

Top Bottom