• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

SAB CA said:
Tutti_i_personaggi.jpg

Because SNKP is old school enough to reference one of the most popular Manga of the 1970s! The Rose of Versailles!
First thing i thought of when i saw that pic , wonder how much more special pics they have for certain team endings.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
shidoshi said:
Well, I mean in terms of why in the world Charlotte is alive and well in the KOF era. It'd just be a nice cameo since she's directly inspired by Rose.

Oh, no worries, I fully understand that's what you meant. ^_^ Was just a fun "Heh, now that you mention it..." thought.

-DarKaoZ- said:
So awesome... seen that video in fullscreen was like having the game infront of me... so beautiful...

Yeah, no joke... Getting to hear the sound of the select screen "settling into place", the thunk of the background timer on the "ORDER SELECT!/Select De OHDOR!" screen, getting to see everyones costume details and knock-out animations in detail... I was tempted to try plugging a controller into the computer... :D

gundamkyoukai said:
First thing i thought of when i saw that pic , wonder how much more special pics they have for certain team endings.

I'm quite happy to see "edit team" pics return, too... We've seen Ash/Kyo/K', Ash with Shen and Duo, The Ladies of Versailles... King/Betty/Mai has never been a canon team, so I hope that means we get to see more special ones like this. Maybe Kula/Athena?Yuri, or Clark/Goro/Maxima/Raiden...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The new announcer has a great english... no more "select teh odor"!

hxa155

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
hxa155 said:
That's some great presentation here. Also, the gameplay looks great. Has it been confirmed for consoles yet?

Not yet. Guess I should add this part to the "reposted for new page" info, too:

SAB CA said:
No port news at all yet. Trust me, we'll be screaming it from the rooftops when it's known.

Since the AI Direct feed is SO clear, might as well take some victory quote screenshots! :lol

VS Iori:
XIIIterryVSiori.jpg

VS Terry:
XIIIshenVSterry.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So yeah whats the deal with Hwai's and Chin's drinking mechanic ?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
So yeah whats the deal with Hwai's and Chin's drinking mechanic ?

Chin gains attack, but loses defense. He can drink up to 5 times. His taunt also apparently makes him drink a constant stream of drinks... don't know if you can cancel it or not.

Hwa's drink... dunno. Haven't seen any real solid info on it. SNKP reported that it makes him have different versions of moves, but nothing has been said as to wheather it's just a cosmetic change, or a gameplay one as well.

The fact Hwa Jai can glitch out and float into the air when cancelling probably makes even less people play him...

Korigama

SAB CA said:
I'm quite happy to see "edit team" pics return, too... We've seen Ash/Kyo/K', Ash with Shen and Duo, The Ladies of Versailles... King/Betty/Mai has never been a canon team, so I hope that means we get to see more special ones like this. Maybe Kula/Athena?Yuri

That one turned up already (you posted it earlier in the thread, in fact).

SAB CA said:

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Korigama said:
That one turned up already (you posted it earlier in the thread, in fact).

:lol I thought I was missing something! Was trying hard not to get Edit endings mixed up with Loketest Ending pictures from earlier. Thanks for the reminder.

Fersis

fubarduck

Hey guys, just wanted to shamelessly plug that we got our KOF13 installed and running yesterday (Sunday) at Arcade UFO in Austin! We have a head-to-head setup running on HD Delta cabs, so we have the only Japanese head-to-head setup in the US and are one of two total arcades in North America with the game.

http://www.arcadeufo.com/
http://www.twitter.com/arcadeufo

We'll try to get some casuals streamed for you guys this weekend.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
fubarduck said:
Hey guys, just wanted to shamelessly plug that we got our KOF13 installed and running yesterday (Sunday) at Arcade UFO in Austin! We have a head-to-head setup running on HD Delta cabs, so we have the only Japanese head-to-head setup in the US and are one of two total arcades in North America with the game.

Oh snap, that is awesome. I might drive the 3 hrs just to play it. :lol

Edgeward

Fersis said:
The new announcer has a great english... no more "select teh odor"!

Son, I am disappoint. I liked the XII engrish girl, same for BB CT and now both have moved to people with more proper pronunciation. SNK is built on engrish, dammit.

Oddly enough, this somehow makes me jonesing to play some original FF and wanting to try ad beat Geese. Maybe it's also the fact I also rewatched that Goose Howard vid. :lol

I'll probably find a way to make it Arcade Infinity in a couple weeks and try XIII out since the fighting game bug has bit me bad and I need some SNK in my life, it's been far too long.

Fubarduck said:
Exciting news!

Yes! Awesome, yes please stream it this weekend. I'll have to clear any intentions of leaving the house now.

Fersis

fubarduck said:

Thanks for posting man. :D
You rock dood! Hope you can set that stream up.

EDIT: Hey your arcade only uses coins?
EDIT 2: Hey check the dip switch settings... anything about Adel? :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Edgeward said:
Son, I am disappoint. I liked the XII engrish girl, same for BB CT and now both have moved to people with more proper pronunciation. SNK is built on engrish, dammit.

Hehe, I was gonna post about how much I prefer Harumi Ikoma's announcing as a "SNK Charm Point", and how much it's like KoF 98... but I figured I'd let other people talk before I went into that.:lol I do have to say I don't like her "looser" preformances though... Blue Mary in XI being one of those. I woulda prefered her to tighten up her Engrish to 98 levels, rathen than being replaced, but new announcing for a new game is ok...

Anyway, Congrats to Arcade UFO, awesome to hear you got an awesome setup!
(Awesomely)
Still not close enough to North Carolina for my preference... but closer than west coast!

'taku's article is pretty meh. "Maybe they'll remove the bugs for the final version!" sounds pretty ignorant when speaking about an already-released Arcade game. They had pretty decent content about XII overall, suprised they've been so quiet about XIII. And then their first big comment is something this sloppy... bah.

Mostly annoyed that the Bugs hold back characters I'd love to see played. Hwa and Vice would be nice to see in tourney-level hands, and those bugs make them a pretty big liability.

Wonder if they'll be able to iron out those issues in one sweep, or if it'll take a few patches? Just a bit worse than the Raiden/Elisabeth Glitch of XII...:lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SAB CA said:
Hehe, I was gonna post about how much I prefer Harumi Ikoma's announcing as a "SNK Charm Point", and how much it's like KoF 98... but I figured I'd let other people talk before I went into that.:lol

Congrats to Arcade UFO, awesome to hear you got an awesome setup!
(Awesomely)
Still not close enough to North Carolina for my preference... but closer than west coast!

'taku's article is pretty meh. "Maybe they'll remove the bugs for the final version!" sounds pretty ignorant when speaking about an already-released Arcade game. They had pretty decent content about XII overall, suprised they've been so quiet about XIII. And then their first big comment is something this sloppy... bah.

Mostly annoyed that the Bugs hold back characters I'd love to see played. Hwa and Vice would be nice to see in tourney-level hands, and those bugs make them a pretty big liability.

Wonder if they'll be able to iron out those issues in one sweep, or if it'll take a few patches? Just a bit worse than the Raiden/Elisabeth Glitch of XII...:lol

SNK should wait a bit, see all the bugs that are out, then fix in one swoop to get ready for console release.

You don't patch before SBO anyways out of fear something worse will pop up.

My thing is I want to see if the game becomes degenerate in high-level play first. So far it looks solid, but SBO play is the highest standard, so if it's fine there, it should be fine anywhere.

fubarduck said:

I was almost ready to go last night when you guys tweeted it :lol

will be making the short drive from SA soon!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
SNK should wait a bit, see all the bugs that are out, then fix in one swoop to get ready for console release.

You don't patch before SBO anyways out of fear something worse will pop up.

My thing is I want to see if the game becomes degenerate in high-level play first. So far it looks solid, but SBO play is the highest standard, so if it's fine there, it should be fine anywhere.

Yeah, good point, The home release Raiden/Beth bug didn't even exist before the first patch to XII, if I remember correctly.

Anywho, how many games have ever proven to be worse than expected, competitivly, by tourney play? Any legendary examples of this happening, like with HNK, NGBC, or Sengoku Basara or something?

I wonder if some of the players are purposely keeping their play off of videos and such, to keep from revealing their strats and tactics early? We really haven't seen much of JP/HK play...

Fersis

RoryDropkick said:
I was almost ready to go last night when you guys tweeted it :lol

will be making the short drive from SA soon!
Kiss the arcade machine for me please.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SAB CA said:
Yeah, good point, The home release Raiden/Beth bug didn't even exist before the first patch to XII, if I remember correctly.

Anywho, how many games have ever proven to be worse than expected, competitivly, by tourney play? Any legendary examples of this happening, like with HNK, NGBC, or Sengoku Basara or something?

I wonder if some of the players are purposely keeping their play off of videos and such, to keep from revealing their strats and tactics early? We really haven't seen much of JP/HK play...

Most games fall apart once the experts get to them- usually via combo.

We don't remember it as much , because it either becomes heresy to suggest otherwise, or those games get forgotten/laughed at really quickly. Alpha 2/3 were notorious for falling apart once the experts got to it, I'd argue some Tekkens also, SC4 with Hilde, SF4 with LOLcombo, etc.

I don't think there's going to be a ton to hide in this game, unless some sort of infinite is discovered. These guys gotta play in the arcade also, so someone will see what they are doing, try to copy it, and it will get spread around that way.

Also the Asian arcade culture is less secretive then the US culture, since there's no cash prizes really.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
:lol Yup, secrets are out: KoF XIII Tougeki Prelims are here.

Contains 3 fights:
Tofu vs Motaka
Shoki vs Kaiten Ou
Shoki vs Tofu

Fight 1 is pretty much just a massacre.

Fight 2 Features Kaiten exploiting Goro's Bugged EX and Mature's wonderfully busted infinite. Actually Dizzies Kyo with it too, which is the first time I've seen a player dizzied in this game. (Other dizzy I've witnessed was on Saiki.) Regardless of bug explotation, it doesn't help much in the end...

Fight 3 is pretty much just K' domination.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SAB CA said:
:lol Yup, secrets are out: KoF XIII Tougeki Prelims are here.

Contains 3 fights:
Tofu vs Motaka
Shoki vs Kaiten Ou
Shoki vs Tofu

Fight 1 is pretty much just a massacre.

Fight 2 Features Kaiten exploiting Goro's Bugged EX and Mature's wonderfully busted infinite. Actually Dizzies Kyo with it too, which is the first time I've seen a player dizzied in this game. (Other dizzy I've witnessed was on Saiki.) Regardless of bug explotation, it doesn't help much in the end...

Fight 3 is pretty much just K' domination.

I just managed to see the video a few minutes ago, I had it loaded all day, but was busy almost all day.

I finally see Mature infinite in action and it looked annoying. :lol

I can't believe the game has STUN animations! They should make the stun appear faster, I mean, it's kinda useless to have it there like that. They could make it appear faster and have a effect like SF4, in which the scaling goes to extreme if you continue to combo. That would make it useful as a defensive system in a way.

And OMG, K is so awesome! :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
I just managed to see the video a few minutes ago, I had it loaded all day, but was busy almost all day.

I finally see Mature infinite in action and it looked annoying. :lol

I can't believe the game has STUN animations! They should make the stun appear faster, I mean, it's kinda useless to have it there like that. They could make it appear faster and have a effect like SF4, in which the scaling goes to extreme if you continue to combo. That would make it useful as a defensive system in a way.

And OMG, K is so awesome! :D

You know, I was thinking about the stun idea, too. "I wonder if a good way to perserve the fun of Mature's infinite technique, is to give her high stun, so that they'd be dizzied out before it goes too long?"... but figured that's probably a horrible idea. :lol Or make it so consecutive death rows have to be EX after the initial, if you REALLY wanna do this.

I'm kinda beginning to wonder WHY stun was in the game, when it's so rare to see... it's hard to believe it has a place in a game with such LONG combo strings. You'd think Takuma would stun people in seconds, and then just... win.

Takuma and Goro's EX bugs are funny, for that matter. They might give you ONE good attempt before you start building meter in a first round, but the fact they take any meter in your bar is pretty funny. Goro never managed to get one bar of meter, because he full screen spammed a move that is best as a suprise overhead. GOOD JOB! So until Mature hacked the meter with her infinite, he was running pretty low on EX.

And K'... remember when the loketesters figured you might be too weak, because of crappy damage output? Welcome to a few weeks later, where you suddenly look nearly good enough to make Kyo shut up and respect you...

jett

D-Member
Lol at that infinite. This is still in loketest mode right? This kind of crap better be fixed STAT.

edit: wow just read those rules :lol sad. What's with SNK and buggy fighters? I don't see Capcom having problems of this magnitude.

Fersis

jett said:
Lol at that infinite. This is still in loketest mode right? This kind of crap better be fixed STAT.
Probably after Tougeki.

Meeru

Banned
fubarduck said:

I wish I lived in Austin instead of dallas..

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
jett said:
edit: wow just read those rules :lol sad. What's with SNK and buggy fighters? I don't see Capcom having problems of this magnitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz0rc6tO58Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P3axRVAcMQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYt3eOShXgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxh_I4DLXbE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJaVgkLyPIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyumTjbO6XI

Sometimes, I think the problem is simply that we don't talk about Capcom fighter flaws as much... :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
That said, seeing K' in every team right now is a bit worrying- reminding me of KOFXI Gato/Kula.

Hopefully SNK takes a look at the balance also after SBO.

jett said:
wow just read those rules :lol sad. What's with SNK and buggy fighters? I don't see Capcom having problems of this magnitude.
Yeah, if this game didn't have the KOF brand behind it I'm positive it wouldn't at Tougeki. Not in its current state.

Oh boy, I'll be driving up from SA to Austin to play XIII at Arcade UFO on Friday night.. look for me, I'll be wearing the blue MSX logo shirt <yes THAT MSX as in the old Japanese pc>

Fun times! :D

Frankfurt

Banned
_dementia said:
Yeah, if this game didn't have the KOF brand behind it I'm positive it wouldn't at Tougeki. Not in its current state.

KOF 2002 has a few dozen insane bugs and it's possibly the best KOF. MVC2 has a character so messed up she's banned (Ruby Heart) and a banned (Gambit) bug. SF4 has bugs that make characters fly off-screen and that make Cammy's counters whiff regardless of what's happening. The list is endless.

Go to youtube, look for bug videos of fighting games. Any series, any company.

The only reason those are even listed is because the game is way too new. KOF 2002's bugs, which were much bigger, were already known when SBO rolled around for it. Same for each game in 2010.

Fersis

Frankfurt said:
KOF 2002 has a few dozen insane bugs and it's possibly the best KOF. MVC2 has a character so messed up she's banned (Ruby Heart) and a banned (Gambit) bug. SF4 has bugs that make characters fly off-screen and that make Cammy's counters whiff regardless of what's happening. The list is endless.

Go to youtube, look for bug videos of fighting games. Any series, any company.

The only reason those are even listed is because the game is way too new. KOF 2002's bugs, which were much bigger, were already known when SBO rolled around for it. Same for each game in 2010.
Agreed.

New blog post
Looks like they're talking about details and alternate costumes.

Arcade Infinity casuals 2
Arcade Infinity casuals 3
(The gameplay is so damn sweet)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I even posted a bunch of links to bugs for Capcom fighters up there ^_^ Deh proof iz in Deh Links!

Anywho: KoF XIII: "Oogosho VS Some Random Dude"

I love how every time you think some character in this game might be lacking, someone pulls off something new and damaging. Raiden looks like a Comeback King with those destructive Dropkicks of his.

So many possibilities!

Oh, and maybe the Beni skeleton thing is his taunt? Though he also seemed to get lit up rather uniquely while doing his Neomax, as well.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Continuing on with the victory quote pics from direct feed videos:

Chin VS Robert & Betty VS Chin:
KOFAI73101.jpg

Takuma VS Shen Woo & Andy VS Master Sakazaki:
KOFAI73102.jpg

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Man, those AI direct feed videos are godlike. I love the quality of the videos, I can't wait to play this.

Good thing I have BBCS to keep me busy on the mean time.

Fersis

Info from the KOFXIII official guide thanks to The Professor:

Madman's Cafe Professor said:
Guide is out.

Teamups with a special illustration after the credits
Already discovered:
Ash Kyo K'
Athena Yuri Kula
Elisabeth Mai King
Ash Duolong Shen

Not yet on Net:
Benimaru Robert Andy (Sub hero team)
Hwa Chin King (Booze team)
Goro Raiden Maxima (Giant men team)

Alternate stage music
In the beginning of the match, hold on the start button until the fight begins. The music will change to the opponent team's theme from KOFXI. Exceptions are Kim's team (KOF96 theme) and Female team (KOF2003 theme) since there weren't teams for them in XI.

Last boss path
Achieve over 2.5 million points to get to Saiki, otherwise it's the bad ending.

Background characters
Appearances are random per character, 50%

France Stage
Shermie, Vanessa, Seth, Ramon

India Stage
Cheng Chinzan, Chang

Japan Stage
Todo Ryuhaku, Nakoruru, Shingo, Hinako

USA Stage
Duck King, Duck King's chick, Mr.Big (blimp print), Galford

UK Stage
B.Jenet, Chris, Yamazaki (poster)

China Stage
Xiangfei, Rin, Tung Fu Rue

Jungle Stage
ChamCham, Griffon Mask, Marco Rodriguez

Ritual Stage
Marco Rossi, Mars people, Fio Germi

Talk about fan service. (The good kind)

Frankfurt

Banned
The mook doesn't have Adel. There are however, flat, Rumblefish-like sprites of two unused characters (same way we saw Rumblefish-style sprites for everyone from XII in the Encyclopedia), both really cool.

One is a Yagami-team member that has a Vice-esque stance (her other stance) and haircut. He looks kind like K9999 dressed in a long suit (not him, though - he has a "Yakuza crossed with a J-Rocker" feel) and the other is a Magaki/Saiki-looking boss in a wedding-gown-like outfit. They're both very angular, pure Nona. Lots of personality.

This adds up to five characters that got into early spriting that got scrapped.

The original version of Kula has a flatter chest, sharper angles and her hair is bulkier/cuter. From waist up looks definetly better than what we got. Legs are exactly the same, though. Mai looks more agressive (sharper angles, asian eyes, same pose but leaning more to the enemy), and you see more of her breasts. She looks like she means business, not friendly like the final version.

Top Bottom