• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

DieH@rd

Banned
I just finished it [on a Pro]! WHAT A GAME!

I had so much fun, visuals were excellent, atmosphere top notch, and Trico never gave me trouble [except once for few minutes when we were both in water]. He's a true marvel of engeneering, best AI and movement set I ever saw in a NPC. I also did not expect that ending when I started the game. :D

Such a shame we will never revisit this universe, I would like more stories told regarding that lost city.

meppi

Ok, I'm stuck in some water with a box. I think I know what's supposed to happen as there's even dialog talking of my escape but it ain't happening. Any tips?

I'm standing on a box floating in the water and I'm waiting for Trico to toss down his tail...?

Try calling him, he'll probably be in a different position somewhere.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I just finished it! WHAT A GAME!

I had so much fun, Trico never gave me trouble [except once for few minutes when we were both in water]. I did not expect that ending when I started the game. :D

Such a shame we will never revisit this universe, I would like more stories told regarding that lost city.

Just wait for Quadrico

eXistor

This game is fucking glorious. Yes the camera is a bit fucked and yes, I've had a handful of moments (and it's not more than just that: moments) where the game didn't react the way I wanted it to. Outside of that I'm 100% on-board. The games' physicality, mystery, design (both audio and visual) set-pieces etc. it's all just brilliant in my eyes. I'm not one to fawn over games in general, but Ueda's games so far really manage to strike a chord with me.

That said, it's a game that does things the way it wants to. It's very unique and different compared to most modern games. It just doesn't do things the way you're expecting them or are used to. I think that's wonderful, but a lot of people just aren't willing to see things a little differently. Like I've seen people complain about triangle being jump. In context of the game it makes perfect sense. triangle for going up, X for going down. Jumping off of chains is nothing but a swivel of the camera and jumping. Works every time. But if you're not paying attention to how the game works it seems the controls are off (they're not).

Anyway, wonderful game, well worth the wait. It's gonna be a divisive one that's for sure, but I have faith that in some years time people will appreciate what the game is doing. Like Skyward Sword (gotta have some baiting in here).

I'm actually not sure what happened in this one.
I actually thought you had to break the supporting pillars by building up speed with the box and ramming into them. After several minutes of failing to do this I noticed the tail hanging down. Might just take a little bit. Give a call out to Trico either using the R1 + O or just hitting R1 by itself to get Trico's attention.

Try calling him, he'll probably be in a different position somewhere.
Thanks. I've been spamming every command but the voiceover acted like I've already escaped lol. I guess a different position may be the key.

meppi

Ahaha. Yeah, not *quite* sure that phrase is intended to refer to people having a rough time with a video game.

Don't make fun of them!
You have no idea how it feels like to victimised by an badly raised, unsympathetic cat-bird that doesn't give a crap about your well being or your sense of adventure. :'(

btrboyev

Opened t up and played it for the first time last night. First impressions are it's a beautiful game visually and the audio is great.

However, it's got major problems with controls and pacing. It feels like an early PS3 game.

Does this game have the weirdest bugs or am I missing something?
I just crawled my way through a closed gate, thinking I would have to find a switch or something to open it for Trico, and to my surprise it managed to follow me through the gate somehow.
Curious as to how it pulled that off, I went back and try to call it out of the gate, and sure enough it now has no way to go through it, and it's just banging its head against it trying to bring it down.
And I don't even think this is the first time something like this has happened.

Had a couple of problems getting Trico to do what I wanted through the commands. Can get a little frustrating.

One thing which was annoying was the area which
you fall into the water after pushing the aroma pot and not really knowing how to progress down there. Like you have to call Trico several times to break the wooden floor, yet his tail doesn't fall through you have to swim away then it can fall.
Not sure how you'd even do that without trial and error. While that's defo a bug sometimes there are a few head scratching what do I do next moments.

Still despite those niggles and camera issues, its certainly a cracking game and if you loved Ico and/or SotC you'll love this too. Trico is very adorable and amazing to watch develop and grow your friendship. It's just a shame there's a few issues that do hamper it I think from becoming a true classic.

how much game do I have left ?

I was climbing the towers and just saw a second trico that pushed us and we fell down. I woke up stuck in a tree. do I have much game left ?

I cannot fathom how bad people are playing this game. It's like they got totally bugged copies I didn't. Or they have disastrous issues with controlling an analog stick.

People reporting unpreventably dying a lot or being unable to get Trico to do something they want for 15 minutes signals profound incompetence or misunderstanding of controls.
Seriously, what's your deal? Just because you had a flawless experience (which I highly doubt), then anything less results in an insult?

How many ruins did you run around and traverse barefoot?
Yeah, you've got to be trolling. Even when not standing on rubble, the boy will always stumble when jumping forward.

Have you ever seen an animal in real life? They don't always reach what they try to bite. Trico realistically repositions himself to get the barrels he misses. Besides who cares? Just leave the barrel and he will grab it. R1+circle will get him to target and eat any barrels nearby. Eating barrels is like 1% of the action in-game.
Your attitude is shit and condescending. Take a step back and realize that. Unless you already do, to which case you're not a very good representative of this community.

I cares, because it's a frustrating part of the game. And I've seen him miss repeatedly, then whine and give up. Every single post of mine in the past hour or so has been solely to point out parts of this game that are making me consistently more frustrated than any other game I've played.

The slow motion is there to indicate to you you made a dangerous jump, and that's your cue to try move in mid air to grab the creature. It's not always to indicate he will grab you.
Okay fair enough. I thought this because the first time this mechanic is presented, the two go hand-in-hand. That still doesn't detract from Trico missing me when I was within a foot of him.

The camera is indeed fucked but it only really gets in he way in cramped spaces and it's usually easily remedied by not trying to cram yourself in a tight space, i.e. jump off Trico and walk instead of riding his neck through a cramped space.
I disagree on you stating it only happens under those specific circumstances. I feel like I am constantly fighting the camera. If I let it auto-follow me, then I'm screwed.

And yet there are people speed running it under 5 hours. Listen no one isn't saying you're having issues but some of those are what I would not even what I would consider worthy of criticism. For example the slow mo as you fall past Trico happens no matter what in many cases, even if you're coming nowhere close to Trico. This isn't auto platforming like the Uncharted games where your character will often be attracted to or drawn towards grabbable point that you should have missed. If you aren't going to land a jump, you aren't going to land a jump and that includes Trico assisted saves. This isn't really flaw, you just missed Trico and this is no comment on your skills or the controls, its just a missed jump/fall. It happens.
RE: Bolded Yes, there are people speed-running it in under 5 hours. And it's widely considered (in the communities I'm partaking in) artificially difficult for these points being discussed.
RE: Underlined Well, *you* aren't, but you're making quality posts.

But it sounds like this game is just hell for you for some reason. I hope you bought it physically so you can take it back. There's no reason for you to play this game and suffer like this.
"For some reason?" Like, maybe the ones I've been taking the moment to elaborate on? I've pointing out the things that frustrating to me. Hell, call it venting. Though these issues do exist beyond me, as seen by other posters.

Honest question. Why roll your eyes at that?
As I posted before, I never even attacked an armour either besides shoving into the ones to push the shields out of their hands so Trico wouldn't be scared of them.
Not a single time from start to end. It didn't even come to mind.
I either ran away from them or climbed on top of Trico so he could protect me as I tended to his spear wounds.
Because The Lamp felt the need to insult me on what I was experiencing, yet s/he never actually took these actions while playing.

Had a couple of problems getting Trico to do what I wanted through the commands. Can get a little frustrating. Still despite those niggles and camera issues, its certainly a cracking game and if you loved Ico and/or SotC you'll love this too. Trico is very adorable and amazing to watch develop and grow your friendship. It's just a shame there's a few issues that do hamper it I think from becoming a true classic.
Thank you!

I love Ico and maybe by the time I'm completed with this game I'll feel the same way.

I just crawled my way through a closed gate, thinking I would have to find a switch or something to open it for Trico, and to my surprise it managed to follow me through the gate somehow.
Curious as to how it pulled that off, I went back and try to call it out of the gate, and sure enough it now has no way to go through it, and it's just banging its head against it trying to bring it down.
This had me confused, too. That particular gate will only open one way for Trico.

I feel some perverse completionist need to finish the game.

Now I am at the part right after I j
ust fought evil Trico
and Trico is on the ground laying there and I pulled out all of his spears and I went to get the two barrels up high. I have thrown the barrels pinpointed right to his face and nose at every spot numerous times and Trico wont eat them I've been here for 15 minutes. The guide says the next thing to do is to make Trico eat these barrels but he keeps meekly attempting to eat them and instead pushing them away from him even though they are as close as they could possibly be to his mouth. I am 100% sure there are no spears left in him.

Hand feed him the (four) barrels. If you're too close he'll nudge you as he bites and you'll drop it, you need to be in the right spot. I hadn't hand fed him previously, so I spent ages leaving them on the ground, placing them, throwing them.

Someone just said "victim blame" in a thread about a video game.

Trico is the real victim here.

Filter

I finished it last night, and I loved it.
Holding on to trico as he makes huge leaps around the environment never gets old. I don't think I've ever felt the same sense of height that this game gives me in some areas. And the surround sound is amazing.

You definitely have to be patient when playing it. Controls have the same feel as ico and shadow of the colossus. They make you stumble around and trip and wobble on purpose. Because you aren't a ninja or megaman or something, you're a little kid. Although the kid does have amazing finger strength

There has been a couple of spots where the giant animal trico hasn't done what I've asked him to do, and I think it must not be the right thing to do to progress, but then later he does do it and we progress. So that's the only couple of frustrations I've had. But that's kind of sort of it. Trico seems like a real animal with a mind of his own. And you ASK him to do things, you don't directly control him. And after a while that really does make you feel like you are a team. I don't think any other game has made me feel like I'm working with a thinking creature. Usually it's things like resident evil 4 with Ashley as your partner and you are trying to get her to stand on a switch or something. And they give you imprecise commands to give her, but it's just frustrating because there's no sense that she is controlling herself. You are just struggling with the computer. With this it's like you are trying to convince a creature to follow your advice instead. Direct control of trico would take away that feeling of trying to communicate with an animal, and making progress despite the language barrier and size difference.

I can understand if people don't like it tho.

But they are awful people.

Someone just said "victim blame" in a thread about a video game.
Its not the first time either. I swear GAF has lost it recently.
It was already pretty wacky.
And how, praytell, would you explain the concept of the poster automatically saying I'm the issue with the game because I'm "bad at video games," rather than acknowledging what I posted as legit?

I get it. Ueda games are special. And this game is even more special, on account of how long we've had to wait for it. Though to categorically languish it with praise, without pointing out its flaws, is a bit like drinking the Kool-Aid.

Mifune

Mehmber
And how, praytell, would you explain the concept of the poster automatically saying I'm the issue with the game because I'm "bad at video games," rather than acknowledging what I posted as legit?

I get it. Ueda games are special. And this game is even more special, on account of how long we've had to wait for it. Though to categorically languish it with praise, without pointing out its flaws, is a bit like drinking the Kool-Aid.

To call yourself a victim is fucking ridiculous.

capybara

Neo Member

I also thought this was a bug, until I noticed how the gate was hinged. It can be pushed open in one direction but not the other, like certain cat flaps. It looks like it was specifically designed as a Trico trap.

To call yourself a victim is fucking ridiculous.
You didn't answer my question. And for me to be insulted by the original poster is also "fucking ridiculous." I don't come to NeoGAF to be insulted and to be made to feel like less of a person or "gamer." I don't do it to others and I don't expect it to be done to me.

how much game do I have left ?

I was climbing the towers and just saw a second trico that pushed us and we fell down. I woke up stuck in a tree. do I have much game left ?

I've just done that part. Seems as though I'm just over half way through.

I have had some jaw dropping, edge of your seat moments. And you could certainly get a bit nauseous with the crazy heights you traverse.

HStallion

Seriously, what's your deal? Just because you had a flawless experience (which I highly doubt), then anything less results in an insult?

Why always the doubt? I seriously had no major issues commanding Trico for over 90 percent of the game and some of the issues I did have was because I was doing something totally wrong. Again your issues are legit but our play throughs are no less legit because we didn't have the same issues.

Yeah, you've got to be trolling. Even when not standing on rubble, the boy will always stumble when jumping forward.

I'm playing the game as we speak and this isn't true. Even walking over uneven terrain, rubble and even physics based objects like the pots that can roll and shatter. He can tumble with ease if you overcompensate but its not nearly this bad as he's just falling down over and over. If that was the case some of the set piece moments would be impossible to do. If you guide him around the worst obstacles and lead him up inclines and over other surfaces in the same way an actual person would do so then it often works best and you shouldn't be having issues tripping and such.

RE: Bolded Yes, there are people speed-running it in under 5 hours. And it's widely considered (in the communities I'm partaking in) artificially difficult for these points being discussed.
RE: Underlined Well, *you* aren't, but you're making quality posts.

Any proof to this as I'm watching two guys burn through this game with ease using many of the same tricks I've noticed. They also love it and have little issue with controls or commands for Trico. It does happen obviously but its hardly something destroying their runs left and right.

Why always the doubt? I seriously had no major issues commanding Trico for over 90 percent of the game and some of the issues I did have was because I was doing something totally wrong. Again your issues are legit but our play throughs are no less legit because we didn't have the same issues.
For the very same reasons you went on to explain. You had issues. The Lamp is posting about how he had zero.

I cannot fathom how bad people are playing this game. It's like they got totally bugged copies I didn't.

I'm playing the game as we speak and this isn't true. Even walking over uneven terrain, rubble and even physics based objects like the pots that can roll and shatter. He can tumble with ease but its not nearly this bad. If you guide him around the worst obstacles and lead him up inclines and over other surfaces in the same way an actual person would do so then it often works best and you shouldn't be having issues tripping and such.
I'll do a quick SharePlay video and post it later to illustrate what I'm talking about. Maybe there's an error in how I'm communicating it.

Any proof to this as I'm watching two guys burn through this game with ease using many of the same tricks I've noticed. They also love it and have little issue with controls or commands for Trico. It does happen obviously but its hardly something destroying their runs left and right.
Are these second-time players? If so, I could understand how they would be able to do as such.

Double-post, because I feel like this sentiment needs to stand on its own.

My frustrations are being needlessly drawn out by some really unpleasant attitudes. How about, instead of posting negative things towards me, help me? Not to say that some haven't been doing that. It just seems like they are being drowned out.

Mifune

Mehmber
You didn't answer my question. And for me to be insulted by the original poster is also "fucking ridiculous." I don't come to NeoGAF to be insulted and to be made to feel like less of a person or "gamer." I don't do it to others and I don't expect it to be done to me.

"Git gud" is like a mantra here. I'm not sure what you expect to hear when you struggle with an all-ages game regardless of the reasons. There's no reason to take it personally.

HStallion

Are these second-time players? If so, I could understand how they would be able to do as such.

It is their second runs and they aren't full time speed runners or anything like that. They're just hunting for a platinum trophy at this point. However anyone trying to speed run or rush through the game on the first time through like these guys is going to have a horrible time. They're using a variety of tricks to push things forward. One seems to have found out my trick using the boys own dive to cause Trico to mimic it instead of relying on the finicky diving commands.

A-V-B

My frustrations are being needlessly drawn out by some really unpleasant attitudes. How about, instead of posting negative things towards me, help me? Not to say that some haven't been doing that. It just seems like they are the minority.

How do you expect people to help you? You seem to genuinely dislike the mechanics of this game. I mean, you don't have to like it. No one is forcing you. Just take it back and play something that appeals to you.

Drewfonse

I just finished it [on a Pro]! WHAT A GAME!

I had so much fun, visuals were excellent, atmosphere top notch, and Trico never gave me trouble [except once for few minutes when we were both in water]. He's a true marvel of engeneering, best AI and movement set I ever saw in a NPC. I also did not expect that ending when I started the game. :D

I am just about to start it on a Pro, can't wait!

1080p or 4k mode? Are the framerate drops in 4K-ish enough to make one sacrifice higher resolution by switching to the more stable 1080p mode?

Decisions....

I am just about to start it on a Pro, can't wait!

1080p or 4k mode? Are the framerate drops in 4K-ish enough to sacrifice resolution by switching to the more stable 1080p mode?

Decisions....

I played through in 4k mode and it was fine 90% of the time. Hangs near 30 for the most part except for maybe 3-4 really bad areas, 2 of which are near the end.

Start with that IMO and switch down if it bothers you. The game is gorgeous.

Generate

Banned
Im pretty close to the end of the game and only encountered one gamebreaking bug at the cage part that required a reset. It was never that frustrating to play, and I was NOT a fan of Shadow of the Collossus so I'm not merely defending a favorite director or anything. To be honest the game IS glitchy and imperfect but a lot of what I am reading here has not been a problem that I have specifically encountered.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
"Git gud" is like a mantra here. I'm not sure what you expect to hear when you struggle with an all-ages game regardless of the reasons. There's no reason to take it personally.

I think there is a difference from a nasty and bullying "git good" and what happens in some of these threads at times... do you really expect people throwing a barrage of angry posts inside a car driving simulator game thread complaining how hard drifting is and why they cannot just have fun riding and bumping against things?

Sometimes it is fair that games require skills and dedication and some trial and error too (i.e. learning the rules of the game and the level layout) and sometimes the push of gaming as pure entertainment seems to mean that if the game does not entertain you at all times then it must suck (failing is not fun in and of itself... failing and learning from it is not always fun until you use that knowledge to overcome the issue you faced)

How do you expect people to help you? You seem to genuinely dislike the mechanics of this game. I mean, you don't have to like it. No one is forcing you. Just take it back and play something that appeals to you.
I have no idea how to answer your question, even though I know it's rhetorical. I've made it quite clear that parts that are driving me insane.

Why do you keep peddling the bolded/underlined? My original post, pages back, was to point out the flaws in the mechanics that were making me unduly frustrated. Nothing more, nothing less.

There are moments of greatness in this game, without a doubt. And I'm sure I'll come back here and detail them when I've completed the game.

Again, my original post came out of sheer frustration over some really odd/unnecessary game design decisions that I was experiencing.

Seconded, and to echo a prior post: it's okay not to like the game.
How about, instead of a cheap-ass "seconded" remark, how else would you succinctly phrase the experience of a "it's not the game, it's you" concept?

you can't claim it's fundamentally flawed when so many have enjoyed their time with it
Uuuggghhh... Sure I can? Look at this very same page of posts and you'll see other GAFfers saying things to effect of "loved it, in spite of its warts."

deeTyrant

My frustrations are being needlessly drawn out by some really unpleasant attitudes. How about, instead of posting negative things towards me, help me? Not to say that some haven't been doing that. It just seems like they are being drowned out.

Responding to your earlier issues related to the controls for the boy. I think you might just not agree with the design and that's cool.

Stuff like the boy fumbling when he lands, the weird acceleration when he runs, and the loose jumping controls are all meant to frame the character as a somewhat inept and unskilled boy. He's not a skilled warrior and the controls support that.
I don't think this is an excuse for bad controls, but a genuine design decision that you may or may not agree with (Shadow is similar). Personally I love stuff like that but I can totally understand why it would frustrate someone.

Luckily for the most part the platforming and action elements are relatively simple, slow and straight forward and don't demand the tight controls of an action game to work. There are a few moments where I felt like the game would've benefited from tighter controls, and the game suffers because of that, but those moments are thankfully very rare.

Stuff like removing the helmets off guards seems explicitly framed as an optional challenge sort of thing, as the game never requires it, so I have a hard time holding it against the game.

Jeels

Don't really know how far I am, I guess I am a few puzzle sets past
Trico first seeing the other Trico?
it's fun so far but gives me anxiety because it doesn't handhold like modern gen games and I have really no idea how far along I am

HStallion

I have no idea how to answer your question, even though I know it's rhetorical. I've made it quite clear that parts that are driving me insane.

Why do you keep peddling the bolded/underlined? My original post, pages back, was to point out the flaws in the mechanics that were making me unduly frustrated. Nothing more, nothing less.

There are moments of greatness in this game, without a doubt. And I'm sure I'll come back here and detail them when I've completed the game.

Again, my original post came out of sheer frustration over some really odd/unnecessary game design decisions that I was experiencing.

How about, instead of a cheap-ass "seconded" remark, how else would you succinctly phrase the experience of a "it's not the game, it's you" concept?

Uuuggghhh... Sure I can? Look at this very same page of posts and you'll see other GAFfers saying things to effect of "loved it, in spite of its warts."

I think you're taking this all a bit too personally. If you don't like the game because the mechanics don't appeal to you and its getting this frustrating and annoying then perhaps you should take a break or even give up on it. I've said to many others with similar issues who were getting really mad, flustered or what not to stop playing for now and come back in a month and see if some patches improved things or fixed issues you were having, maybe even fixed the technical issues.

"Git gud" is like a mantra here.
It's a shitty meme/mantra.

Sometimes it is fair that games require skills and dedication and some trial and error too (i.e. learning the rules of the game and the level layout) and sometimes the push of gaming as pure entertainment seems to mean that if the game does not entertain you at all times then it must suck (failing is not fun in and of itself... failing and learning from it is not always fun until you use that knowledge to overcome the issue you faced)
Your post is well thought out and I know it's not explicitly pointed at me. I do not fall into the second camp. I play my games on Hard, I Platinum hunt, and I'm not green to the challenge some games can provide. It's the inconsistency of The Last Guardian's rules that can be maddening.

I think you're taking this all a bit too personally. If you don't like the game because the mechanics don't appeal to you and its getting this frustrating and annoying then perhaps you should take a break or even give up on it. I've said to many others with similar issues who were getting really mad, flustered or what not to stop playing for now and come back in a month and see if some patches improved things or fixed issues you were having, maybe even fixed the technical issues.
Honestly, it's a bit more frustrating/annoying to have to constantly stand my ground and to not be able to have an open discussion with some people. As I mentioned before, my initial post was me venting, though not without merit.

Deku Tree

it's fun so far but gives me anxiety because it doesn't handhold like modern gen games and I have really no idea how far along I am

Do you want to know how far along you are?
If that is truly the first time that you saw other Trico then think you have completed like 30-40% of the game.

HStallion

You are like halfway... maybe. Not sure exactly but you've got a ways to go.

A-V-B

I literally have no idea what to say. I have no responses here. I've thought of a dozen different things to say, and none of them feel right. So I'll bid you adieu, and hope that you find a happier way to enjoy yourself in the future.

Cheers.

I feel like I'm maybe 2/3rds into this game. It's remarkably fantastic.

It's sorta shocking how some of the gaming community is damning his game with faint praise. To me it's living up to all its hype and that is a huge task given its history.

HStallion

I feel like I'm maybe 2/3rds into this game. It's remarkably fantastic.

It's sorta shocking how some of the gaming community is damning his game with faint praise. To me it's living up to all its hype and that is a huge task given its history.

Its a game with a very specific vision and design philosophy and it does little to cater to modern and prevalent gaming sensibilities. When it does its often the ugly constant button prompts that don't even tell you all the controls or the narrator being a little direct about describing what's going on. I'm hoping in a future patch they give you the option to turn them off outright or at least improve how they look and the frequency that they pop up through out the game.

Deku Tree

Oh, shoot. Thanks, OneDrive.

First two are the Metacritic scores for Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Third is Ocarina's - 99 at 20FPS, yum.

There are so many problems with comparing metacritic scores across periods of time like this that I don't know where to start.

In general I don't decide which games to buy based upon review scores and I don't put much value in them. My most played game this generation is Destiny, and it got panned by the critics when it came out. I don't decide which movies to watch based upon the critics either. And I don't agree with the Witcher 3's ridiculously high review scores. I don't agree with The Game Awards show giving a Witcher 3 expansion the best RPG of the year award. Ridiculous.

But I will explain when I think metacritic scores are too high or too low.

Honestly I think Ocarina of Time was a fantastic game for the N64 era. A lot of games had horrible frame rates back then and it was more widely tolerated because of limitations of the hardware. But I don't think that OoT has aged well even after you fix the frame rates etc. Also Skyward Sword and TP are not my favorite Zelda games. My favorite 3D Zelda game is actually Wind Waker which I know a lot of people have different opinions about. My user name was actually created while I was playing Wind Waker on Gamecube.

Generate

Banned
It is their second runs and they aren't full time speed runners or anything like that. They're just hunting for a platinum trophy at this point. However anyone trying to speed run or rush through the game on the first time through like these guys is going to have a horrible time. They're using a variety of tricks to push things forward. One seems to have found out my trick using the boys own dive to cause Trico to mimic it instead of relying on the finicky diving commands.

Remember I was asking about that part? Thats exactly how I finally got Trico to do it. He kept diving without me until I "tricked" it into working lol

HStallion

There are so many problems with comparing metacritic scores across periods of time like this that I don't know where to start.

In general I don't decide which games to buy based upon review scores and I don't put much value in them. My most played game this generation is Destiny, and it got panned by the critics when it came out. I don't decide which movies to watch based upon the critics either. And I don't agree with the Witcher 3's ridiculously high review scores. I don't agree with The Game Awards show giving a Witcher 3 expansion the best RPG of the year award. Ridiculous.

But I will explain when I think metacritic scores are too high or too low.

Honestly I think Ocarina of Time was a fantastic game for the N64 era. A lot of games had horrible frame rates back then and it was more widely tolerated because of limitations of the hardware. But I don't think that OoT has aged well even after you fix the frame rates etc. Also Skyward Sword and TP are not my favorite Zelda games. My favorite 3D Zelda game is actually Wind Waker which I know a lot of people have different opinions about. My user name was actually created while I was playing Wind Waker on Gamecube.

It still happens in this day and age. The Witcher 3 was full of bad slowdown, glitches, bug, and other problems on release and these issues remained for months afterward though CDPR did eventually fix them and get the game running smoothly on the consoles. They even overhauled the menu and inventory system in a huge manner well after release that made the game far better and easier to navigate the menus, items, etc. It didn't effect scores much as it was lauded on release by both fans and critics alike and sold millions and millions of copies.

Auctopus

I am not denying this is an excellent game but the levels people are going to create this environment where the game is immune to criticism is insane.

Over the last few days, I've seen people claim people aren't patient, dexterous or intelligent enough to understand or play this "undeniable masterpiece".

To say this game doesn't have some control issues just isn't true but what do you expect when the majority of your game is based on getting AI to perform in a particular way. It's a huge achievement to create such a game/AI partner that cooperates with the player the entire game.

So instead of just attacking people who are clearly having trouble with sections of the game for being phillistines, maybe try to be encouraging or helpful?

tookhster

About 5 hours in, totally feels like a Team Ico game, but I'm kinda disappointed it's like 95% ICO and 5% SotC. I knew that it was going to be like this, but going through the rooms and puzzles I felt like I was playing ICO again.

My first major problem is that I don't think the game properly explained issuing commands to me yet. I was stuck at the same spot a gaffer on the last page was, and looked up a walkthrough and saw that I could make Trico stand on its legs by pressing R1 and triangle. The only prompt I saw when the game was teaching me about issuing commands was R1 and the left stick for where to go.

Top Bottom