• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

sunnz

What is the difference between down and execution?

Down= when you kill them, but they can still be revived ( they crawl)

Execution: When you finish them off when they are crawling and down ( they cant fight back, they can only be revived, good idea to bait this if an enemy is near sometimes). Execution happens when you shoot the downed enemy, with a gun or something

Special execution: this is when you go and press triangle on an downed enemy, which does that cinematic kill ( gun to the head, beat to death, melee to death etc...)

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Down= when you kill them, but they can still be revived ( they crawl)

Execution: When you finish them off when they are crawling and down ( they cant fight back, they can only be revived, good idea to bait this if an enemy is near sometimes). Execution happens when you shoot the downed enemy, with a gun or something

Special execution: this is when you go and press triangle on an downed enemy, which does that cinematic kill ( gun to the head, beat to death, melee to death etc...)
Thanks!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
If anyone wants a chat room invite quote this post to see the PSN ID for it and send a friend request. I'll send you a chat room invite the next time I log on. Try to keep the discussion related to mp/partying up, some people might not be done with SP.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This is fun. God damn it... I did not want this to be fun. I don't need more things taking up my time. :(

This game is very tactical. Watching players execute as a group and seeing other teams in a free for all is like nigh and day....

If you don't band together you are going to get slaughtered out there...

potam

Banned
I haven't had a chance to check MP out yet, or read through this whole thread, but what is the generally feeling towards MP?

Is it a cheap add-on just to have MP, or is this something that will stick around for a while?

jett

D-Member
I haven't had a chance to check MP out yet, or read through this whole thread, but what is the generally feeling towards MP?

Is it a cheap add-on just to have MP, or is this something that will stick around for a while?

Good mechanics, light on content. There's only TDM and elimination. The metagame of taking care of a group of survivors is surprisingly neat though, especially if you connect it to your facebook account. It's just for funsies, though.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
god damn this game is intense. Whenever it's sudden death with like 3 people left from both teams... FUCK

I hate running out of ammo btw. And it always seems to happen at the WORST moments. ugh

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
B-Genius
B-Genius
Japan (UTC + 9hrs)
No mic for now
Mainly play late or at weekends

By all means add me if you fancy another random Gaffer in your friends list. Also lag doesn't seem to be a huge issue, regardless of who I'm playing with.

potam, it's such a great MP mode. Definitely no cheap add-on. It feels well thought-out, balanced, cohesive to the story, and - most importantly - fun. As people have mentioned it's more about taking it slow and out-flanking/thinking your opponents. Sometimes you can get caught unawares, but sticking with team mates and clever use of listen mode will keep you in the action.

I like how the character models actually react to being hit as well. They're not just bullet sponges that soak up the damage until they fall over; if you nick somone on the run with your silenced pistol, they'll appear to stagger but not necessarily go down. The whole thing feels really "organic", just like the single player.

Speaking of which, I haven't even finished the main game yet (I have to play after hours with headphones, as the wife hates how scary/tense it can get). Tried MP out of curiosity, and now it's going to be something that I play regularly while continuing through the story.

Just beat the single player AND got a PS3 microphone headset today. So ready for multiplayer!

Which faction should I join? Is there a GAF one?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Anyone need someone in their party right now? Have mic and looking to play for a good chunk of time... PSN = Semedi

Dreez

Gaf Username: Dreez
PSN ID: koolmoedreez
Timezone: PST
Mic/No Mic: Yes Mic

Please add me :) looking for new PSN friends and people to play TLOU with.

potam

Banned
Good mechanics, light on content. There's only TDM and elimination. The metagame of taking care of a group of survivors is surprisingly neat though, especially if you connect it to your facebook account. It's just for funsies, though.

potam, it's such a great MP mode. Definitely no cheap add-on. It feels well thought-out, balanced, cohesive to the story, and - most importantly - fun. As people have mentioned it's more about taking it slow and out-flanking/thinking your opponents. Sometimes you can get caught unawares, but sticking with team mates and clever use of listen mode will keep you in the action.

I like how the character models actually react to being hit as well. They're not just bullet sponges that soak up the damage until they fall over; if you nick somone on the run with your silenced pistol, they'll appear to stagger but not necessarily go down. The whole thing feels really "organic", just like the single player.

Speaking of which, I haven't even finished the main game yet (I have to play after hours with headphones, as the wife hates how scary/tense it can get). Tried MP out of curiosity, and now it's going to be something that I play regularly while continuing through the story.

Sounds good. I'll definitely check it out later this week when I get some time.

Grisby

The maps are all pretty damn good. Except for Downtown. The one with the subway tram. Lol, no one ever votes for that.

I think my favorites are University and Lodge.

And I found the right load out for me. Semi auto with the crafting mod. I do better with it but I like being a silent sniper more even if I get way less kills. :(
How do you gift and give items?
You need crafting skill level 2. Once you craft 3 items in a game you get a box to give to a dude by pressing R1.

The maps are all pretty damn good. Except for Downtown. The one with the subway tram. Lol, no one ever votes for that.

I think my favorites are University and Lodge.

And I found the right load out for me. Semi auto with the crafting mod. I do better with it but I like being a silent sniper more even if I get way less kills. :(

Agreed, really enjoying the maps. And I haven't even played Downtown yet haha you're right no one picks it.

sappyday

I hope the next update lets us rename our custom loadout.

I'm used to having my loadouts in every game named "Gear Second"

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Yeah, my least favorite is probably Checkpoint - it's just so small. Not sure why people are down on Downtown... I never vote for it either, but I don't really have anything against it.

Grisby

I feel like Downtown has way too many ins and outs. Some confusing and messy geometry too.

It also reminds me of the worst looking section from TLOU. I don't think the game is at it's strongest visually in night time areas.

Raxus

Man that was stressful good games Flo and Tito.

I hope you understand now why it is so important to control those supply boxes. Camping tends to not work very well in the game.

Are the MP maps different for supply raid? Have never played a match of it. I can't iamgine the maps in the Survivor mode with respawns.

Ugh. Just lost half my clan because of two matches with a shitty team. Kinda lost my will to play for the night unless anybody wants to actually use mics and teamwork.

Always keep a nail bomb in stock. Run like hell, and when your sprint goes out drop it without aiming. He'll step into it and BOOM!

Another chance is actually hiding until he's very close and simply upgraded melee wooden log him.

Hmmm I guess those are some good suggestions.

Basically, keep an item on hand at all times because without one I ain't survivin'!

IzzyF3

I love the multiplayer, but I get disconnected most of the time. I see that it's not just me. Probably won't play more until a patch or something.

destrudo

I hate this game sometimes. I was on a 'lose 100% of your survivors' challenge and I got disconnected twice. I figured there was no way I was going to finish it on the 3rd day (it was the down X number of enemies with the sniper rifle) and I somehow did all 3 levels on one match and just as the match was ending I got signed out of the PS network.

I was so close to unlocking everything too.

Kard8p3

fun fact here guys:

Even though the missions get progressively harder, if you use "heal teammates" it won't matter for a long, long time, considering in one match I got like 30 heals.

Top Bottom