• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just fought a level 44 what the fuck.

I played against a lvl 53 yesterday. Still not sure how the levels work. Originally I thought they were tied to how many weeks you had successfully completed but I think that has been debunked now.

Had a few good games of Survivor last night on PSN with JoeFenix and one if his buds. Unfortunately lag wasn't on my side but I think I held my own. Was great playing with people who actually communicate. :^)

I don't really understand how i'm suppose to defend against someone with armor running straight at me with a shotgun.

Can I? I don't like the inclusion of armor in the game in general, honestly.

As much as I find the MP to be enfuriating... I've had enough good matches that I want to keep playing.

ID: Nixel84
Mic: Yes

I don't really understand how i'm suppose to defend against someone with armor running straight at me with a shotgun.

This isn't a traditional TPS. If you see an armored person coming at you, bail out and hide. Use listen mode to track them and get the jump on them. Two shorty shots gets rid of their armor.

StewboaT_

Having an absolute blast with this game. There's just a few things that stand out to me that need addressing.

1. Practically losing all my progress because of three disconnects in a row on Supply Raid (the only mode I've experienced this), is incredibly lame. I actually really enjoy the metagame, but as of right now, it's frustrating as hell.

2. Anaemic selection of game modes. Just give me a: no respawn, objective based game mode, and Ill be a happy camper. Hostage rescue? Bomb defusal? VIP?

3. Movement while aiming is too slow. The ability to slightly strafe during gunfights would add another level of skill, and make for more intense battles.

Anyways, bravo Naughty Dog for killing it with this MP. Still only 80% done the campaign because of this "tacked on" waste of time!

This isn't a traditional TPS. If you see an armored person coming at you, bail out and hide. Use listen mode to track them and get the jump on them. Two shorty shots gets rid of their armor.

No, I get that. But I've been playing the 1 life round based mode and I've been completely unable to get away from these guys. By the time I start running away I've gotten a shotgun to the back.

Bailing out and hiding has been rough too because I assume once I turn a corner they just use listen mode quickly to nail where I am.

As much as I find the MP to be enfuriating... I've had enough good matches that I want to keep playing.

ID: Nixel84
Mic: Yes

One bow or one rifle shot also gets rid of armor. But with the bow if you get his head or inside his body it counts like non armor. Can't speak for other weapons. Also melee gets no buff from armor. So shooting legs and then punching him to death can work.

Jarek23

Banned
I played against a lvl 53 yesterday. Still not sure how the levels work. Originally I thought they were tied to how many weeks you had successfully completed but I think that has been debunked now.

It's definitely tied to how many weeks you've finished. After 12 you get a star beside the number, but the number keeps increasing, and so do the stars for every 12 weeks you finish.

I'm 13* currently on week 3 of my second run.

So for instance if someone is level 53 but only has 2 stars, it means they completed 12 weeks twice, but got the remaining 29 during failed runs (losing their clan before reaching the end of week 12)

It's definitely tied to how many weeks you've finished. After 12 you get a star beside the number, but the number keeps increasing, and so do the stars for every 12 weeks you finish.

I'm 13* currently on week 3 of my second run.

So for instance if someone is level 53 but only has 2 stars, it means they completed 12 weeks twice, but got the remaining 29 during failed runs (losing their clan before reaching the end of week 12)

Edit: I clearly can't read.

Alienous

Just got 120 survivors (121, actually).

My buddies have been using Collector and Crafter 2 or 3, calling it "The Runner" class. The key is to farm the supply boxes as much as possible while still getting downs and executions. Then, as you craft, you give away gifts to your teamates constantly. They've got over 5k supplies in a single game pretty often.

This is the fucking key. With Collecter 1 it becomes a lot easier. With Collecter 2 it becomes trivial. I don't quite get 5000 Supplies a match, but I average 4500 in Supply Raid.

Now I just need to keep 85 of the survivors alive until 6 weeks time.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I am surprisingly hooked with this multiplayer. I wish there was more customization options. And you could fully customize the look, gender and ethnicity of your character.

tranciful

I spend all that effort unlocking and wearing my super cool bad ass mask and it doesn't even fucking show up when I have armor on (most of the time). Helmets don't even look cool.

:mad:

Jarek23

Banned
Just got 120 survivors (121, actually).

This is the fucking key. With Collecter 1 it becomes a lot easier. With Collecter 2 it becomes trivial. I don't quite get 5000 Supplies a match, but I average 4500 in Supply Raid.

Now I just need to keep 85 of the survivors alive until 6 weeks time.

For the skull mask?

It gets damn hard near the end. I finished with 79 after 12 weeks. 100% to clan in weeks 8,10,11,12.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
4th week with 150 population.. my people are starving !!!

i0LiGd9tfl08X.gif

AngryMoth

Is it just me or are bindings an extremely rare drop? I literally never get them in the first 2 chests. I want to make molotovs goddamit!

Alienous

Åesop;65855681 said:
4th week with 150 population.. my people are starving !!!

If The Last of Us 2 has a multiplayer mode, I want to be able to explore my camp. That way I could confront the 'hungry'.

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I not bring enough food ... well I brought plenty more than usual last week, and you just invited all your friends around".

"Oh, you're hungry, are you? Well all of the food I bring is divided evenly between my population. So why the fuck are you complaining?"

I'll turn the complainers into food, and satiate the hunger of those who remain truly loyal.

vilmer_

I know K/D ratio doesn't mean much, but good lord is mine ever atrocious :lol

Edit - Just got shot through a wall while trying to revive someone wtf?

jett

D-Member
Well my game decided to fuck itself up. "Explosive Expert" seems like it will forever be marked as "new". That's going to annoy the shit out of me.

Neiteio

Is TLoU's multiplayer the spiritual successor to MGO I've craved ever since Konami decided to bail and shut down the servers?

My explosive expert stays as new no matter what I do as well.

I do love this multiplayer though. Even better than Uncharted 2 and 3, and I loved those as well.

Facism

rolling with killthee, chrples and somnium didn't do my clan too much good. guys are hardcore killing everything.

and that one git with the nailbomb.

sunnz

The lag is getting ridiculous, not so much the getting killed while I have ran behind cover, but how you have them times were some people survive 2 semi rifle shots, 1 9 mm shot AND 1 punch and kill you in 2 to 3 punches...

Happens quite often now too, very annoying.

And no, they don't have armour on.

But still one awesome MP, VERY surprised it has been made this good. I feel it deserved a little more spotlight on it.

Jarek23

Banned
Is TLoU's multiplayer the spiritual successor to MGO I've craved ever since Konami decided to bail and shut down the servers?

I miss MGO so much :(

While TLoU it's really great, sadly in my opinion it's not MGO. Might be the next best thing though, we'll see. It's too early to tell, I put well over 400 hours into MGO but I don't see that happening here. Not even close.

Playing town and 3 guys hiding in that upstairs room at the end, sneak up the stairs fire bomb their ass's haha. All 3 die a firey death and I get loads of loot, good times.

Always keep a nail bomb in stock. Run like hell, and when your sprint goes out drop it without aiming. He'll step into it and BOOM!

Another chance is actually hiding until he's very close and simply upgraded melee wooden log him.

jett

D-Member
lulz at this game making you choose who to save from your facebook friends. This is some clever FB integration. Thankfully there was someone I didn't like among my choices. :p

xBuTcHeRx

This game reminds me of SOCOM. Only everything is a scavenge. It's an OK MP but sometimes it just gets boring, theirs no fast pacing. I get the concept but it doesn't hurt to give MP as a GAME (NOT real life) a taste of UNCHARTED 2 MP.

What is the difference between down and execution?

Down is you killed them but they can still be revived. Executed means they are totally dead.

Normally you down them then you need to finish the kill by executing them. When they are down they are still crawling around.. .. you can shoot them to execute them or run up and hit triangle to execute a downed opponent

Slurmer

Banned
Got to play a little today since I beat the campaign. It's great, but just when I started to figure it out and had a good game going, my system freezes up :(. Is the multiplayer only available on psn? I am letting a friend borrow this so I won't have any way to play it until he returns it.

Top Bottom