• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Raxus

fun fact here guys:

Even though the missions get progressively harder, if you use "heal teammates" it won't matter for a long, long time, considering in one match I got like 30 heals.

Be forwarned. You can cap out on the heal challenge.

It is best you save that for the 100% loss events.

I don't know how many times you can repeat a challenge.

I know for a fact it is at least 3 and at most 5. If someone has an exact number I would appreciate it.

Gunpriest

Neo Member
Just to clarify, if i crouch move very slowly, can i still be seen through listen mode? I see crouch moving enemies with listen mode. Kinda defeats the whole stealth part.

I am torn about this multiplayer. It is kinda cool, but i am very disappointed that it has minimap and listen mode. I'd love to play a scavange game in a hardcore mode with no visual help. A mode, where fighting is completely optional.

Kard8p3

Just to clarify, if i crouch move very slowly, can i still be seen through listen mode? I see crouch moving enemies with listen mode. Kinda defeats the whole stealth part.

I am torn about this multiplayer. It is kinda cool, but i am very disappointed that it has minimap and listen mode. I'd love to play a scavange game in a hardcore mode with no visual help. A mode, where fighting is completely optional.

There's a perk you can get to make it so no one can see you crouch walking

Be forwarned. You can cap out on the heal challenge.

It is best you save that for the 100% loss events.

I don't know how many times you can repeat a challenge.

I know for a fact it is at least 3 and at most 5. If someone has an exact number I would appreciate it.

I did not know that :/ thanks though!

Dart

PSN ID: GAM3R_16
Timezone: PST
Mic: Sometimes, off & on

I usually play late night, feel free to add me.
I love to flank enemies & set up nail bomb mines.

played for a ridiculous amount of time today with gaf. played with so many people so you all were awesome.

krappadizzle i sent you a message. i'll be around tomorrow :)

raindoc

On now. (SilverHawaiian)

Quick question: Does the size of the clan-population actually matter, as long as it is >0?

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I've played more, I'm really beginning to hate this multiplayer, mainly because of the metagame. Forcing me to play a certain way to complete missions so my clan doesn't get completely fucked over is simply not what I see as fun, and if you don't do at least 'good' in every match you play, half your clan will instantly start crying for food, get sick or die. Get disconnected? Your clan is effed. Host leaves? Your clan is effed. Get put in a match that's half-way done? Your clan is effed. One single bad game? Your clan is effed. Get a large clan? You better perform near perfectly in every match or your clan is effed. Victim of bad matchmaking? Your clan is effed. The possibility of losing your entire clan is just ridiculous.

It's a shame, because the actual matches can be quite fun, provided you have a decent team, decent opponents and no "Do X of Y to not have your clan fucked up"-mission in the background.

Am I the only one here?

Raxus

Anyone know what to cap is on loadout points?

On now as well, TomABrook, fireflies, no mic.

13 you get the last point at 7500 supplies.
Now that I've played more, I'm really beginning to hate this multiplayer, mainly because of the metagame. Forcing me to play a certain way to complete missions so my clan doesn't get completely fucked over is simply not what I see as fun, and if you don't do at least 'good' in every match you play, half your clan will instantly start crying for food, get sick or die. Get disconnected? Your clan is effed. Host leaves? Your clan is effed. Get put in a match that's half-way done? Your clan is effed. One single bad game? Your clan is effed. Get a large clan? You better perform near perfectly in every match or your clan is effed. Victim of bad matchmaking? Your clan is effed. The possibility of losing your entire clan is just ridiculous.

It's a shame, because the actual matches can be quite fun, provided you have a decent team, decent opponents and no "Do X of Y to not have your clan fucked up"-mission in the background.

Am I the only one here?
They really have to fix the disconnect thing but you can dashboard out or power your PS3 off and the game won't penalize you for it. As for doing really well it becomes overwhelmingly easy later when you realize all you have to do is play support. Since most pubs are focused on killing I find I have plenty of items to give using crafter 2/3 and first aid 2. Combine that with the collector point and you can easily average 4500 points a game. My best game I got over 6100 salvage 0_0. As you can imagine this is impossible playing a straight up killing class.

In short, TLoU multiplayer actually rewards you for playing support in a game about teamwork. It makes it kind of funny people steal executions thinking it is going to matter in the long run.

andycapps

I think I overdid my time on The Last of Us yesterday. I played for about 6 1/2 hours between single player and multiplayer. Wife had me in the doghouse for a good portion of the day afterwards, haha. So yeah, whoever I was playing with yesterday, I will probably only be able to do 2-3 games a time when I'm doing multiplayer.

The problem is that the multiplayer is so addictive. They've really nailed the carrot on the stick here, though the carrot on the stick isn't so much getting new guns or perks, it's the gameplay that is so rock solid. I just want to play more. There's a huge amount to improve in too, so it's rewarding to play more as you learn new tactics.

Am I the only one here?

To be honest though.. the meta game is only negative if you choose to play it. Once you get your trophies and whatever cosmetic unlocks you desire, there's no reason to concern yourself with it unless you want to try to beat your personal best for Clan numbers.

I've been playing a lot lately, and I'm really pleased with how this multiplayer turned out.

My team consists of 2 MGO veterans (my brother and his friend), and 2 Uncharted 2 & 3 vets (myself and another friend), and it's been great to see how well this game allowed us all to transition in gameplay-wise. It feels very right, and it's exactly what I've been waiting for. Playing in a cohesive team where everything clicks is awesome, even without mics. We haven't lost a game yet.

The Silenced Hunting Rifle is amazing. I love the sound it makes when you get a headshot. In other games I used to aim for the upper torso and hope for the best, but with the limited ammo it's really taught me to become a headshot beast.

As of right now, my brother is in the top 8 on the leaderboards for clan population with 215. I don't know how he does it, but he racks up an insane amount of parts/supplies (8000+). I gave him my old HD PVR so I can see what he's doing.

Anyway, it's a shame Downtown doesn't get much playtime. It's not a bad map, but the lack of right angles puts people off. Looking forward to the DLC.

Nozem

How does this compare to the multiplayer of the first Gears of War? I've loved every single one of the gazillion hours I put into that.

MrJTeera

I try to build my population to 100 but this firefly attack bullshit that cost me at least 20% of my population just keeps on happening over and over for me. I know these are random events and all but talk about streak of bad luck!

Flo_Evans

Man that was stressful good games Flo and Tito.

I hope you understand now why it is so important to control those supply boxes. Camping tends to not work very well in the game.

Sorry I was a bit off last night, lack of sleep. Was trying to be in bed by 11 and ended up staying up till 3am

raindoc

Am I the only one here?

what's pissing me off is the fact that they tied not only one, but two trophies to this. otherwise i wouldn't give a shit about the meta-game.

I switched from playing supply to survivor and my appreciation of the game increased considerably. The flow of the game and the tense encounters are much more impactful when people aren't spawning right behind you.

I also have been really enjoying both the bow and the burst rifle. I do think that armor costs should be increased and get more costly with eqch purchase. And I think the disparity between vanilla and sharpshooter lv.3 should be narrowed. A lv. 2 burst rifle with armor and lv.3 sharpshooter makes you a bit too powerful. In fact a person with any level of sharpshooter is so much better equipped to handle an encounter thab someone without.

ND should also add the quick turn into mp. As it is if you get blindsided you are going to die in the vast majority of encounters becsuse you cant turn to run or engage fast enough. If possible the quick turn should be put in and maybe a system where you can run flat out for a vrry brief period at the cost of 2x stamina regen ( so that you can actually out run your pursuers and regain at least an equal tactical footing) .

All in all, when played in a group at a slow pace, this game is amazing.

Hmmm I guess those are some good suggestions.

Basically, keep an item on hand at all times because without one I ain't survivin'!

not at all times. To have a shotgun and an armor you'd need 900 gear. That gives you enough time to get something to protect yourself with too.

Does anyone buy the weapon upgrades first over the armor? For my level 2 Burst Rifle its like 800 supplies to upgrade and it doesn't even feel that much more accurate.

jett

D-Member
There's some monumentally stupid stuff in this game. You get completely fucked over in a mission when the game drops you at the tail end of an already started game. Or when you get disconnected due to the host leaving. That's bullshit. Fucking think shit through, Naughty Dog.

Alienous

Does anyone buy the weapon upgrades first over the armor? For my level 2 Burst Rifle its like 800 supplies to upgrade and it doesn't even feel that much more accurate.

Doesn't it increase the clip size? And improve the weapon sway?

13 you get the last point at 7500 supplies.

They really have to fix the disconnect thing but you can dashboard out or power your PS3 off and the game won't penalize you for it. As for doing really well it becomes overwhelmingly easy later when you realize all you have to do is play support. Since most pubs are focused on killing I find I have plenty of items to give using crafter 2/3 and first aid 2. Combine that with the collector point and you can easily average 4500 points a game. My best game I got over 6100 salvage 0_0. As you can imagine this is impossible playing a straight up killing class.

In short, TLoU multiplayer actually rewards you for playing support in a game about teamwork. It makes it kind of funny people steal executions thinking it is going to matter in the long run.

I didn't even consider this a thing. I don't mind if a teammate executes a foe I downed, and I'll execute someone somebody else has downed. As long as they are being executed, I don't really think it matters. If someone executes an enemy they didn't down, they are working within the team. Playing support isn't being any more of the 'team player' than being the person who viciously hunts every downed player.

There's some monumentally stupid stuff in this game. You get completely fucked over in a mission when the game drops you at the tail end of an already started game. Or when you get disconnected due to the host leaving. That's bullshit. Fucking think shit through, Naughty Dog.

I've only disconnected once, and that was because my connection died. And yes, you can be fucked over if you join a match late while having a mission. Really your objective should be to complete the mission in 2 days anyway, rather than 3. That way you can be screwed over once and still manage.

It isn't perfectly thought out. Missions aren't thought out with both game types in mind, which is strange seeing as they only have two to balance for. Reaching a high amount of downs in Survivors is more difficult than in Supply Raid. Alternatively, you have more chances to complete a required amount of shiv executions in Supply Raid. It's murky, yes, but certainly serviceable.

andycapps

I didn't even consider this a thing. I don't mind if a teammate executes a foe I downed, and I'll execute someone somebody else has downed. As long as they are being executed, I don't really think it matters. If someone executes an enemy they didn't down, they are working within the team. Playing support isn't being any more of the 'team player' than being the person who viciously hunts every downed player.

You get just as many points if someone else executes the player you downed, IIRC. It's just that they get points as well. Win win.

maomaoIYP

I never buy weapon upgrades. Not worth the money, spending it on ammo is more efficient for killing purposes. Actually I don't every use the burst rifle as well. The semi auto takes someone down with 3 body shots, and you start with 7 ammo.

As of right now, my brother is in the top 8 on the leaderboards for clan population with 215. I don't know how he does it, but he racks up an insane amount of parts/supplies (8000+). I gave him my old HD PVR so I can see what he's doing.

Let us know. I want to know as well, I had assumed those people at the top were boosters.

jett

D-Member

I've only disconnected once, and that was because my connection died. And yes, you can be fucked over if you join a match late while having a mission. Really your objective should be to complete the mission in 2 days anyway, rather than 3. That way you can be screwed over once and still manage.

It isn't perfectly thought out. Missions aren't thought out with both game types in mind, which is strange seeing as they only have two to balance for. Reaching a high amount of downs in Survivors is more difficult than in Supply Raid. Alternatively, you have more chances to complete a required amount of shiv executions in Supply Raid. It's murky, yes, but certainly serviceable.

It's a mess. Speaking of which, nobody is respwaning in my current supply raid. WTF is this. I guess i'll wait the timer out so I don't get fucked over.

I agree with the former.

The latter is how it already works!

Really? I was certain i was always paying the same price. The only thing that i noticed going up in price was ammo for you purchased weapon.

With respect to upgrading weapons over armor; I always upgrade my secondary first as it allows me to get downs quicker which gets me to the armor fast - though at this point I am averaging about 4k a round so by mid game I have my weapon fully upgraded and armor and can spend the rest of my cash on my pistol, or on more ammo (most likely).

I think that buying weapon and armor should require crafting time. It is pretty strange that it will take me a second or two to build a molotov, but i can get full armor in less than a second. It sucks to be gunning a person down who ducks behind cover and pops back up armored. I can't heal that fast, or craft any other items - hell, i can't even reload that fast.

jett

D-Member
GODDAMN FUCK YOU YOU STUPID PIECE OF SHIT GAME

Host left so again I find myself in a complete clusterfuck. Fucking remove this metagame garbage if you're so fucking inept Naughty Turds.

GODDAMN FUCK YOU YOU STUPID PIECE OF SHIT GAME

Host left so again I find myself in a complete clusterfuck. Fucking remove this metagame garbage if you're so fucking inept Naughty Turds.

I had this happen on two seperate occasions when my clans were in the 70 range and I had firefly attack missions active and once when i was lower (in the 40s). At 40 i was able to meet the minimum, but I did lose my entire clan in the 70s because of two host disconnects and a high minimum requirement (that i could have managed over three days, but not one). This facet if the game is very poorly implemented as you are too easily penalized for things you can't control. I have experienced close to a dozen "lost host connection". It sucks that I care about the meta game, but I do, so being penalized for things I can't control is bullshit.

The game will be much more fun once I have all of the unlocks and trophies. I wish there were other ways to build and support your clan (joint missions with people on your friends list, crafting and gifting with real people, co-op, achievements in sp)

Lakeside feels like that "Classic" map.

The Blood Gulch, the De_Dust, the Radec Academy.

It's a damn fun map. Lots of room to run around, yet very focused, with great lines of sights in certain areas, making the hunting rifle a deadly loadout. Hotspots for bomb traps, the snow that comes down to blur the vision.

Speaking of which, I love the weather effects! Wish more MP games add them in.

And screw you Damn haters! I love the size of the Dam. I love the long range sniping ranges, coupled with the sense of wonder that a map of that size can bring.

My least favourite is probably also Downtown

Quick question - how do you heal someone or give them an item? Cheers.

Healing someone requires First AId 2, and you must stand beside someone and hold X. To give items, you need Crafter 2 and must already craft 3 items, the third of which you can give to your friend (it will be a random item).

Hey, do I have you added from PlayStation All Stars? I'm going to add you, if you don't mind!

DaNcaKe

Hardly worth doing.

But seeing as people don't tend to play Supply Raid, I need to play that mode to maintain my population, I end up playing that with randoms. There's a level of coordination, but it isn't quite there.

I played some Survival for a change earlier, and my clan started dropping like flies. This was despite me posting decent scores and winning pretty much every game.

Once you get to around the 100 mark, it's near impossible to maintain your group by playing survival. There aren't enough rounds to gather the parts you require unless you manage to kill everybody, heal your team and craft a shit load of items.

You get just as many points if someone else executes the player you downed, IIRC. It's just that they get points as well. Win win.

You get points both for Downs and for Executions so if you execute someone you've downed you get more points than if someone else Executes them. You also get the added benefit of knowing for sure the guy is dead.

I never buy weapon upgrades. Not worth the money, spending it on ammo is more efficient for killing purposes. Actually I don't every use the burst rifle as well. The semi auto takes someone down with 3 body shots, and you start with 7 ammo.

I find the weapon upgrades very worthwhile when playing against other people who are actually good shots. It feels like it makes your shots a bit more accurate (more bullets land within the reticle) and it can make a difference. Also as long as you're getting kills, you loot plenty of ammo off the bodies.

Top Bottom