• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, I'm officially addicted to this game. By far the best multiplayer of the generation for me, even beating out Warhawk. Buying the season pass today for sure.

I never play multiplayer shooters/action games, and I'm still having a blast with it.
If one buys the season pass, do they get access to all up-coming DLC (including single-player campaign stuff) and everything released to date?

Edit: Oh, balls. Looks like it isn't available in Japan anyway. At least, not on the web store.

ksdixon

I must suck. As both a FireFly and then a Hunter, I've played upto the Week 6 100% clan wipeout challenge and bombed out hard.

todahawk

MY TLOU disc suddenly won't read... I heard it trying to spin up but didn't think much at first. finally pulled it out and it was really, really warm. Now the surface of the disc looks odd. No other discs having issues.

I tweeted at Naughty Dog but haven't heard back. Options?

Playing multi and choosing to include the new maps sucks. I understand that people want to play them but it's basically the only maps you can ever vote on which sucks. I don't want to jump between dlc/no dlc to play the maps I want.

I more hate that every time I want to play the DLC maps, I have to team up with a group of unknowns vs an elite squad of microphone best friend commandos. Include the fucking DLC in No Parties!

ButchCat

I more hate that every time I want to play the DLC maps, I have to team up with a group of unknowns vs an elite squad of microphone best friend commandos. Include the fucking DLC in No Parties!
Absolutely this. I went back to playing on older maps because of the lack of this.

Also I think that every new player should get a loading screen that says DON'T FUCKING RUN UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU SHOW UP ON THE MAP, CHRIST. It would save me having to unmute my mic just to say that every single game.

Yeah going back and playing the old maps the amount of elite teams definitely decreased.

Also, I often play with two other friends. Sometimes we're joined by a fourth friend but not that often. When it's just the three of us we more often than not get someone thinking they're Rambo going off on their own doing nothing but dying.

Dibbz

Also I think that every new player should get a loading screen that says DON'T FUCKING RUN UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU SHOW UP ON THE MAP, CHRIST. It would save me having to unmute my mic just to say that every single game.

I run all over the place because I'm pro. Don't crouch either. Take it.

I lie, I mix it up but do try to avoid crouching because it looks weird.

Running definitely has its place in the game: its fine at the very start when everyone knows where everyone is, it's necessary to run away when you're outnumbered, and it can be used as a diversion (if there's a 1 on 1 fire fight close by, you can sprint up to make it seem like the cavalry is arrive for your team-mate). It's also good if you have a team-mate hiding somewhere and you can run away from him, leading an enemy to chase after you, which leaves him open to getting shivved.

Of course 90% of the time fucking players SPRINT FOR NO REASON and then CROUCH DOWN ALL STEALTH LIKE, not realizing that everyone on the other team KNOWS WHERE THEY ARE.

It's infuriating.

jediyoshi

Of course 90% of the time fucking players SPRINT FOR NO REASON and then CROUCH DOWN ALL STEALTH LIKE, not realizing that everyone on the other team KNOWS WHERE THEY ARE.

So what's the lead time on disappearing from the map after you've stopped running? Besides, it's not like people run from cover to cover in typical cover shooters because they're under the impression they've managed to shake their presence from enemies :p Doesn't crouching affect visibility in listening mode versus standing and moving?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It would help if they got rid of the gross radar and wallhack... then people could play more naturally.

But they are Naughty Dog and never will.

So what's the lead time on disappearing from the map after you've stopped running? Besides, it's not like people run from cover to cover in typical cover shooters because they're under the impression they've managed to shake their presence from enemies :p Doesn't crouching affect visibility in listening mode versus standing and moving?

You are always visible on radar while sprinting, and even visible to wallhack while crouch-walking, unless you spend 4+ loadout points on the counter.

jediyoshi

It would help if they got rid of the gross radar and wallhack... then people could play more naturally.

Define 'naturally'. What's natural about using a third person camera to look around corners? Oh wait, it's a video game full of completely arbitrary mechanics that don't completely align with the real world because those rules aren't in service of a well playing game!

You are always visible on radar while sprinting, and even visible to wallhack while crouch-walking, unless you spend 4+ loadout points on the counter.
Re-read the question.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Define 'naturally'. What's natural about using a third person camera to look around corners? Oh wait, it's a video game full of completely arbitrary mechanics that don't completely align with the real world because those rules aren't in service of a well playing game!

That is a separate issue. I would explain what I'm saying in detail (have in the past) but you come off like a bit of a douche.

Re-read the question.

Once was enough, actually... maybe you should re-read it.

jediyoshi

That is a separate issue. I would explain what I'm saying in detail (have in the past) but you come off like a bit of a douche.

But they are Naughty Dog and never will.
Ah, so I'm in good company.

Let me pick up a habit of holding my own aspirations and expectations onto a product that simply doesn't cater to me and we can be on even footing.

Once was enough, actually... maybe you should re-read it.
Nothing you said addressed my question. The original statement made a point of sprinting which brought up the point of raising someone's position and then the irrelevance of their crouching because their position is already known. The question is in regards to what the timing is between the halting of sprint and them disappearing off the map, not their obvious state they'd be in if they're already sprinting.

Hell, it's like you went out of your way to fit in another irrelevant fact about the rest of my comment.

I had to read this a few times to understand it, but I think you're asking how long someone stays on the enemy's map for after they've stopped sprinting?

If that's it, then their dot leaves the map a second or so after they stop sprinting. But the point is they've already given away the direction (if not exact position) because of that sprinting. A lot of players don't seem to realize this, and they don't seem to realize that you don't show up on the map if you simply walk. Instead, they sprint to a box, then crouch behind it and pretend to be stealth, not realizing they've alerted the enemy team to their position (and thus aren't stealth).

As for showing up on the wall hack, yes you show up if you're walking or crouch walking (unless you're using the highest stealth perk, then crouch walking is invisible), but that's in the situation where an enemy already knows to "listen" since you or a team-mate is close by. And again, the enemy starts listening in the first place a lot of the time because someone on the other team has sprinted for no reason.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I had to read this a few times to understand it, but I think you're asking how long someone stays on the enemy's map for after they've stopped sprinting?

If that's it, then their dot leaves the map a second or so after they stop sprinting. But the point is they've already given away the direction (if not exact position) because of that sprinting. A lot of players don't seem to realize this, and they don't seem to realize that you don't show up on the map if you simply walk. Instead, they sprint to a box, then crouch behind it and pretend to be stealth, not realizing they've alerted the enemy team to their position (and thus aren't stealth).

As for showing up on the wall hack, yes you show up if you're walking or crouch walking (unless you're using the highest stealth perk, then crouch walking is invisible), but that's in the situation where an enemy already knows to "listen" since you or a team-mate is close by. And again, the enemy starts listening in the first place a lot of the time because someone on the other team has sprinted for no reason.

This is a great breakdown, thanks. I was pretty sure of everything apart from whether walking/jogging showed up on the radar. Now I know for sure that it doesn't (you're just more visible than crouching and can be "heard" in Listen mode), that's going to make my play a lot more sensible.

ksdixon

Just bought the season pack. I was under the impression it came with some points or boosts to spend in order to level-up in multiplayer a bit faster? I was hoping so because I absolutely suck, but if not it's cool, game's still fun nevertheless.

ksdixon

Bus Deport and Bookstore are great maps. Didn't play too much of Hometown or Suburbs, don't yet know the layout of those maps and kept getting lost haha.

ksdixon

This must be a coincidence, but it seems like since I downloaded TLOU season pass I am getting a lot more 'leaving matchmaking' when waiting for a match, a lot more 'disconnect from host' during matches, and even a lot more hard lockups on the system which means I have to press the power button on my PS3.

pje122

Can someone help me with this for a second?

My buddies and I are going to do a little PS3 LAN party thing during the Christmas break.
There will be 4 of us, each bringing our PS3s over my friend's house to play some multi-player games together on 4 separate TVs in the same room.
My question is, is TLoU multi-player conducive to this type of play? If the 4 of us want to find and play only against each other, will we be able to do that? We did this last year with 4 360s on BlackOpsII multi-player were we were defending against zombies and it worked pretty well.
Also, if there is no literal LAN option, I hope we can stay play each other in the same room through the actual Internet, right?

Thanks, guys.

(P.S. If anyone else has any other PS3 games to suggest that allows us to do this sort of play (4 player only against other specific players) please let me know).

ButchCat

Can someone help me with this for a second?

My buddies and I are going to do a little PS3 LAN party thing during the Christmas break.
There will be 4 of us, each bringing our PS3s over my friend's house to play some multi-player games together on 4 separate TVs in the same room.
My question is, is TLoU multi-player conducive to this type of play? If the 4 of us want to find and play only against each other, will we be able to do that? We did this last year with 4 360s on BlackOpsII multi-player were we were defending against zombies and it worked pretty well.
Also, if there is no literal LAN option, I hope we can stay play each other in the same room through the actual Internet, right?

Thanks, guys.

(P.S. If anyone else has any other PS3 games to suggest that allows us to do this sort of play (4 player only against other specific players) please let me know).

You absolutely can but not through a LAN party but like you said through the internet.

Edit: I'm actually not entirely sure if the LAN option is ruled out.

pje122

You absolutely can but not through a LAN party but like you said through the internet.
OK, but what about playing 4 player (max) with me and my 3 other specific friends that are in the same room as me? Is it easy to set that up? Details would be good, I don't know anything about TLoU multi-player or how it works.

ButchCat

OK, but what about playing 4 player (max) with me and my 3 other specific friends that are in the same room as me? Is it easy to set that up? Details would be good, I don't know anything about TLoU multi-player or how it works.

It works with 2 players on each side, while in the party menu each player gets to manually choose the side they want to stick with whether that's Hunters or Fireflies. It's a relatively simple process.

pje122

It works with 2 players on each side, while in the party menu each player gets to choose the side they want to stick with whether that's Hunters or Fireflies. It's a relatively simple process.
OK, and I assume we're able to easily find each other, right? You can search for their PSN IDs or something to play against them?
Also please suggest other games where it's easy to set something like this up if you can.

ButchCat

OK, and I assume we're able to easily find each other, right? You can search for their PSN IDs or something to play against them?
Also please suggest other games where it's easy to set something like this up if you can.
Are they not on your PSN friendlist? If they are then you just need to send them invites from the ingame friend list in the multiplayer menu and you become the party leader. If they aren't on your friendlist make sure you add them before booting up the game. I suggest UC3 which most definitely has a LAN support and I believe RDR also supports the feature.

pje122

OK cool, thanks. We don't normally play online together... and I don't normally play online on console at all, so sorry if my questions sound strange. And thanks for the suggestions.

this happens to me about 90% of the time. it's fucking wack. levels 50, 22, 0, 0 against 239, 224, 185, 190......... a common sight.

i don't know what the hell they were thinking designing some of the aspects of the MP. the basic gameplay is fun and most of the maps are great, but there are some seriously amateurish design flaws.

this happens to me about 90% of the time. it's fucking wack. levels 50, 22, 0, 0 against 239, 224, 185, 190......... a common sight.

i don't know what the hell they were thinking designing some of the aspects of the MP. the basic gameplay is fun and most of the maps are great, but there are some seriously amateurish design flaws.
While the matchmaking is broken a lot of high ranking players suck. I think it's one of the first games I've played where I have seen players on level 200+ getting schooled by player below level 50.

If you buy season pass do you get ALL dlc for free ?

I know that you get the first map pack, upcoming SP campaign and the third multiplayer dlc.... but what about all those hats and masks ?

NastyBook

Currently playing TLoU MP with a buddy of mine but his playstyle is that of a selfish asshole, and I've finally had enough. He rarely revives me, even if he's nearby. When he's down and I'm looking to get him up, he won't give out nearby enemy positions, so I'm right on time for a molotov once I reach him.

His loadouts are fucking selfish too. He rarely gifts, but will reap the benefits of my gifting or anybody else's in any match we're in, I'm just fucking done. I want to play with some good fucking players that PTFO, communicate clearly and effectively, get up and heal teammates, and kick fucking ass. PSN ID is GibbShift. Let me know when you guys normally get on to play.

So anybody still play this?

Been playing for about a week now. Love it but am dissapointed how easy some people fuck up the system.
Crawl close, run and flamethrower? Is it me or is that thing ridiculously overpowered? Also, shivving is a bit questionable sometimes.

Another thing; if you don't have a team, and you oppose a (skyping) team, you have no chance. Much much more so than any other game. Kinda a flaw in my opinion.

Randoms run too much and don't stick together. Sucks...

AKyemeni

So anybody still play this?

Been playing for about a week now. Love it but am dissapointed how easy some people fuck up the system.
Crawl close, run and flamethrower? Is it me or is that thing ridiculously overpowered? Also, shivving is a bit questionable sometimes.

Another thing; if you don't have a team, and you oppose a (skyping) team, you have no chance. Much much more so than any other game. Kinda a flaw in my opinion.

Randoms run too much and don't stick together. Sucks...
People still play this. All I play is the multiplayer.

As for the flamethrower, it can be easily countered with a Melee stick as well as other tactics. The shotgun defeats it in a head to head fight.

Yes, teamwork and communication is a vital strategy in this game. I like it.

AlexBasch

Yes, teamwork and communication is a vital strategy in this game. I like it.
Main reason why I never got into this game.

I'm not too confident about my English speaking abilities and most of the time, you will find the super-best-friends-in-skype-commando. ):

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I have a PS4 sittin here and I'm still only playing Last of Us and P4G :3

ksdixon

If you buy season pass do you get ALL dlc for free ?

I know that you get the first map pack, upcoming SP campaign and the third multiplayer dlc.... but what about all those hats and masks ?

Oh cool, there's more multiplayer DLC on the way?
Are we talking new maps, or new multiplayer modes? Would be awesome if you could play a game with Infected running around screwing with your team or the opposition's.

ksdixon

GAF ID: ksdixon
PSN ID: ksdixon
No Mic.
United Kingdom.
Casual/n00b player (sorry!)

So how do you guys play?

I find myself playing Stealth, and I usually try to stay out of the action and mark people for my teammates. When I feel I can help out I try to take-out some enemies or revive teammates that have been knocked to the ground. I don't usually go for the special kill animations as they tend to take too long and if the opponent you just knocked to the floor has buddies around then you're just asking for someone with an upgraded melee weapon to hit you upside the head with it for a one-hit-kill.

Now that I've played for a while I'm using custom loadouts rather than the pre-made ones. I've evolved into something of a medic, and generally try to assist my team. Reviver and Crafter enable me to revive teammates fast, and to craft weapons for myself much faster as well as gift weapons to my team. I tend not to carry a large gun most of the time, so that I can split more perks around, usually based-on whatever the random challenge is.

AKyemeni

Oh cool, there's more multiplayer DLC on the way?
Are we talking new maps, or new multiplayer modes? Would be awesome if you could play a game with Infected running around screwing with your team or the opposition's.
No one knows what the next multiplayer DLC is. It could be anything, really.

ksdixon

Thanks.

OMG, what perk did I just unlock... Strategist 3 I think it was. Spawn earlier, and spawn on an ally providing an enemy isn't near them. GAME... CHANGER!

Top Bottom