• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Me and a friend had the worst multiplayer session ever a few nights ago. First two matches we met elite teams that just steamrolled us and we both played like shit for the reminder of the session. Usually we are on par with the best players but this was just ridiculous. We played really bad because we just got more and more annoyed. Didn't help that out of ten matches we played Checkpoint six times, University twice, Downtown once (and that time it was between downtown and Checkpoint) and Lakeside once.

I'm starting to fucking loathe Checkpoint.

tahsutify

Are those strange mouse-like controllers work with every game? I am a good player and I can win most matches alone, I also have a pretty good team. Though a few days ago there was a crazy guy, it was impossible to kill him. He sprints, stops and BAM! Headshot. I was never able to aim at him. He killed like 15 people in five minutes, almost all of which were direct kills with headshots. At one particular instant he killed all four of us rapidly, every one of us died directly, nobody was down. I've never seen anything like that and I am more than 300 hours in. Something was definitely fishy.

Those guys with flamethrowers are also getting on my nerves. Especially fuck the teams with 4 flamethrower users. So frustrating.

AKyemeni

Are those strange mouse-like controllers work with every game? I am a good player and I can win most matches alone, I also have a pretty good team. Though a few days ago there was a crazy guy, it was impossible to kill him. He sprints, stops and BAM! Headshot. I was never able to aim at him. He killed like 15 people in five minutes, almost all of which were direct kills with headshots. At one particular instant he killed all four of us rapidly, every one of us died directly, nobody was down. I've never seen anything like that and I am more than 300 hours in. Something was definitely fishy.

Those guys with flamethrowers are also getting on my nerves. Especially fuck the teams with 4 flamethrower users. So frustrating.
I'm one of those guys with the hunting rifle ;)

I don't use a mouse. You just get better at using the center of the screen to quickscope.

I met a guy like that once as well. I wasn't even mad, just in awe of that pure fucking skill.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Though a few days ago there was a crazy guy, it was impossible to kill him. He sprints, stops and BAM! Headshot. I was never able to aim at him. He killed like 15 people in five minutes, almost all of which were direct kills with headshots. At one particular instant he killed all four of us rapidly, every one of us died directly, nobody was down. I've never seen anything like that and I am more than 300 hours in. Something was definitely fishy.

Looks like you played against me :3 I do that with the military sniper or El Diablo

ksdixon

i really hate lakeside. dam. and downtown. love checkpoint. university. and suburbs. still say hotel. firefly headquarters would rock as maps.

tahsutify

Well, if he is legit then I might look into trying that sniper weapon. I normally stick to the default rifle. He was using the sniper rifle, definitely not El Diablo.

I realized that I am so closed minded. I've never thought of trying the sniper weapon or the bow until now :).

I finished TLOU when it came out and a few months ago played a second play through on hard so I'm very familiar with the combat although I'm sure I'll be very rusty. If I decide to play the MP do I stand a chance? At this point it's very intimidating

AKyemeni

I finished TLOU when it came out and a few months ago played a second play through on hard so I'm very familiar with the combat although I'm sure I'll be very rusty. If I decide to play the MP do I stand a chance? At this point it's very intimidating
Two words:

Make Friends.

I imagine this is hard to do without a microphone, yes?
Of course, but it doesn't mean you can't message people who played well enough after a game (using the function under your Friends list to see whom you played with recently) and ask if you could add them.

I haven't played in a while either so I'm very rusty, but I've been wanting to very badly and could add you if you want to play with. Even if you don't have a bluetooth or USB headset you can still hear if I say "behind the car!" or whatnot, right? I switch between using my PS Eye and the Pulse Elite headset as my method of communication although I used to use an old bluetooth from when I originally bought the HTC Hero (known as the original "Google phone" from Sprint I think).

ksdixon

Aw maaan, I'm on Day 2 of a 100% population risk challenge and the doorbell goes. After I was threw with them as quick as I could be I had already been disconnected for inactivity. My downs from that day aren't counted and now I am on Day 3 of the challenge and have to make-up the downs. Don't you hate it when that happens?

nicolajNN

Aw maaan, I'm on Day 2 of a 100% population risk challenge and the doorbell goes. After I was threw with them as quick as I could be I had already been disconnected for inactivity. My downs from that day aren't counted and now I am on Day 3 of the challenge and have to make-up the downs. Don't you hate it when that happens?

Always go with gift crafting or heals, if you have unlocked those, for the 100% missions. Both are very easy to do and can often be done in just one match

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member

You should sign off of PSN through XMB if you need to go. The day wont count

ksdixon

Åesop;97783496 said:
You should sign off of PSN through XMB if you need to go. The day wont count

True, I suppose my guy did sit there doing nothing, giving the other team easy interrogations whilst I was at the door. I will try to remember that for next time.

Happy to say that I finally completed the full 12 weeks. :D

Man, the (no parties) option made it so much more fun when playing alone.

Still pissed at run --> flamethrower though.

Also apologies for asking what was probably asked before but what is expected for the season pass after the coming up single player DLC? Anything else or just more hats? Or nothing?

I'm still angry about the Uncharted 3 Season pass. Felt so screwed and I can only find shady PR promises of "amazing content".

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Also apologies for asking what was probably asked before but what is expected for the season pass after the coming up single player DLC? Anything else or just more hats? Or nothing?

I'm still angry about the Uncharted 3 Season pass. Felt so screwed and I can only find shady PR promises of "amazing content".

After the story DLC theres another Multiplayer DLC coming (new maps + unannounced special? ). They add Masks & Hats every now and then.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Still loving the multiplayer so much.

Same. It's grabbed me back after a fling with GTA Online.
Playing with a group of 3 friends is so fun - you win some, you lose some, but you bro it up to the end. Smoking an area and quietly reviving your downed bros one by one is my forte. The quiet healer.

Although if there's one thing I'm beginning to thoroughly dislike, it's people rushing you with the Spiked Bat. It makes people crazy. They just fly across the map at you when they think they see an opening. My revolver shots never seem to slow them down, then the next thing I know BAFF.

However, when I try to return the favour my character always flinches and I get gunned down. It gets annoying because you know when people are going for it, and you panic because if you run, they'll still just gun you down.

Taking the #1 spot above people slam-dunking Molotovs in your face and not even dieing.

... Man, you'd think I hate this game, but I really don't! It's great!

ksdixon

What makes The Dam so popular? It seems to come up a lot more than other maps, and it's not particularly one of my faves personally. Just wondering what other people see in it.

AKyemeni

What makes The Dam so popular? It seems to come up a lot more than other maps, and it's not particularly one of my faves personally. Just wondering what other people see in it.
I like the map.

My only problem with it is the mist that appears in the middle of the game and, as a sniper, totally ruins my playstyle.

Alebrije

I like the map.

My only problem with it is the mist that appears in the middle of the game and, as a sniper, totally ruins my playstyle.

Yep , I am an sniper too but managed to use the mist in favor in the Dam , since you can mark enemies the red dot/triangle over them show their location , you need to test/ learn the space between the mark and the enemy´s character, it works.

Also the Dam has two great spots that combined with the mist are perfect to kill 2-4 enemies with a nail bomb / molotov combination. Even with just a molotov you can kill them on those places and they will never realice where were you.

AKyemeni

Yep , I am an sniper too but managed to use the mist in favor in the Dam , since you can mark enemies the red dot/triangle over them show their location , you need to test/ learn the space between the mark and the enemy´s character, it works.

Also the Dam has two great spots that combined with the mist are perfect to kill 2-4 enemies with a nail bomb / molotov combination. Even with just a molotov you can kill them on those places and they will never realice where were you.
The problem is that I'm more of a mid range, close range sniper, so that means I have to land headshots. I still do very well, but it just takes extra work for maps that have this blinding feature (Dam, Suburbs, Lakeside).

I still love Dam and Downtown more than the other maps, though. (Really don't understand the hate for Downtown)

EDIT: The next patch will be on February 14th, which will have the technical hooks for Left Behind and, if Uncharted 3 was any indication, changes and tweaks for the multiplayer as well.

http://community.us.playstation.com/...ht/true#M67914

Jinjo

Got back into this after a short (bf4) break. Discovered a new troll class. Shorty + Machete. Brawler 2 obviously, covert for the surprise attacks and just a level in marathon for some extra rush capability. Destroys everyone up close, and without lag you can easily outplay bat abusers. Quickshotting the shorty before they get to you + machete beats 'em everytime.

I don't understand why downtown is not more popular either. Love that map.

I hope they decrease the range of the flamethrower. I really feel screwed over everytime I am killed by that thing. Fucking hate it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they decrease the range of the flamethrower. I really feel screwed over everytime I am killed by that thing. Fucking hate it.

My rant a few posts back is nothing compared to flamethrower rage. That thing is Brutal. The way the fire "lingers" even after a short burst. I mean... I know it's fire, but come on!

The only way you can counter it is to put something (like a car or crates) between you and the enemy, so you can be shielded from the flames and still take shots.

zma1013

I still love Dam and Downtown more than the other maps, though. (Really don't understand the hate for Downtown)

I don't understand why downtown is not more popular either. Love that map.

Because Downtown doesn't have a lot of routes or options like the other maps do. It's generally just people straight up slugging it out head to head with only one real option of flanking through the escalators which is incredibly predictable to where you can always assume someone will be there. The other option is to run completely around the entire map which by that time usually means the battle is over before you can get behind them.

ksdixon

This may be a stupid question... but are there any particular tips or tricks for playing as a sniper? Trying out new weapons/classes.

This may be a stupid question... but are there any particular tips or tricks for playing as a sniper? Trying out new weapons/classes.
Yeah, trade the game in and pick up Call of Duty or something.

I have a semi-irrational hate for snipers on my team.

destrudo

My rant a few posts back is nothing compared to flamethrower rage. That thing is Brutal. The way the fire "lingers" even after a short burst. I mean... I know it's fire, but come on!

Some guy burned me through a concrete wall the other day, have no idea how it happened.

I got some questions though for people who play this a lot...

- How do people shiv you from behind while you're facing them? It seems to happen to me every so often by really high level players. I'm either punching them, swinging a bat at them, or aiming at them while they're right in front of me running in my direction, and then all of a sudden they're shiving me from behind.

- Why does the 2x4 sometimes not lung? There are times where I'm running at a guy and instead of jumping forward I just swing right in front of an enemy. I have no idea why this happens, but it really confuses the shit out of me.

- Did they nerf the bow? It seems like it shoots slower or something now because I can't seem to hit shit with it anymore.

destrudo

Only aim for the head. 90% of the time you hit someone in the body they will heal before you can get another shot in there. After a bit of practice it will become pretty easy, and if you can manage to do it consistently, the hunting rifle is close to being the best gun in the game. At this point it's pretty much the only gun I use.

You should also use the rifle upgrades. Level 2 makes reloading shots really fast and you can kill most enemies with body shots once you have that. I don't really use the upgrades anymore though, because once you get good with the rifle it's not really a necessity.

You should also think about getting something for close range as well. I usually buy the shotgun. It's pretty god damn satisfying when people rush you because you're a sniper, only to take them down in 1 shot from the shotgun.

destrudo

Because Downtown doesn't have a lot of routes or options like the other maps do. It's generally just people straight up slugging it out head to head with only one real option of flanking through the escalators which is incredibly predictable to where you can always assume someone will be there. The other option is to run completely around the entire map which by that time usually means the battle is over before you can get behind them.

I like that map, but I find the whole subway section incredibly cluttered and awkward to fight in.

Some guy burned me through a concrete wall the other day, have no idea how it happened.

I got some questions though for people who play this a lot...

- How do people shiv you from behind while you're facing them? It seems to happen to me every so often by really high level players. I'm either punching them, swinging a bat at them, or aiming at them while they're right in front of me running in my direction, and then all of a sudden they're shiving me from behind.

- Why does the 2x4 sometimes not lung? There are times where I'm running at a guy and instead of jumping forward I just swing right in front of an enemy. I have no idea why this happens, but it really confuses the shit out of me.

- Did they nerf the bow? It seems like it shoots slower or something now because I can't seem to hit shit with it anymore.

Seen weirder. One time, a teammate was up against a flamer. Managed to dance around the flamer and shivved him, then burned to death immediately after. lol Anyways...

On combat shivving: When aiming, you turn around much more slowly. Pretty easy to abuse if you're up against someone not geared for close-quarters combat. Melee swings will lock you into a direction for a little bit too. Got myself shivved one time while using a machete since that's not a OHKO unless the enemy's the slightest bit injured. Wasn't very funny. :x

On 2x4 lunging: Dunno, usually play Survivors, but I'm guessing you swung just a little too early.

On the bow: Can't tell you about projectile speed, but the firing rate seems a bit slower to me. Makes it less viable as a close-range weapon, so now you stand a chance if you can squeeze off a shot and knock a bow user's aim off before they get a second shot, assuming they aren't using Sharpshooter. I welcome the change, personally. 2 points for a rifle, 1 extra for a weapon that can out-damage any of the non-purchasable firearms and is silent to boot? Sounds unbalanced to me. :p

just curious, after some time sprinting, once stopped is the weapon sway more or the same?

Never actually tested, but from all the playing I've done, I've only noticed a -slight- bit of sway when you stay still for a really long time, so I'm gonna say no. :p

ksdixon

It is so strange finishing a multiplayer game on Bill's Town, and then going back into the single player campaign at that point in time and seeing how it's changed from one mode to the next.

ksdixon

Just remembered I have an old Turtle Beach PX11 headset with a mic on it, glad to have that working correctly. :)

Found my audio wire so now the game sounds and the chat sounds come through the PX11 headset. Wish I knew what all the audio options mean in TLOU's options menu - like what dynamic range means - because at the moment the rushing water on The Dam and gunshots are blowing my ears off my head compared to all the other game sounds.

On Demand

Banned
The multiplayer is so strategic and good. Much better than the run and gun of COD. I don't think it gets enough praises. I imagine socom players must be in love with this games multiplayer.

I'm not that good at it yet. Still learning the best techniques for gameplay, but damn it's a lot of fun.

Played a ton of TLoU MP last year on my way to platting that game and then needed a break to play other things. Loved it though. I know getting back into some more TLoU via Left Behind will make me want to play some of those new maps. Looking forward to seeing you lot out there :)

Top Bottom