• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

quickwhips

I didn't know about this thread. I think I found my new home. Are any of you guys streaming till the PS4 version comes out? I need some people to watch to get my fix.

But stealth and careful play will still trump aggressive and careless methods.

I've seen it happen many times, when the other team expects a team to rush like them, only to find the other team sneaking and flanking them from all corners.

You can't change people's playstyles unless you cripple the weapons, skills, etc.

And that wouldn't be advisable, since it would be unfair to those who practiced a certain way to play.

Not being able to counter this style is not the issue, though, the problem is that 9/10 games play out exactly the same with advanced groups of 4 using the exact same rushing method again and again. It's boring. The introduction of the new perks encourages this type of play and it ruins what the game once was. It's really dull to come up against the same thing over and over again and it's not fun to play. Whenever my team of buddies has defeated of group of these types of assholes we're usually more angry at them from playing like that than happy to have won. It's a strange feeling.

Just gotta work together. If one team is demolishing you by sticking together, it's because they simply are playing the game better.

Rushing can work, but it always comes at the cost of getting spotted. Best thing to do is counter by playing defensively.

Havent played much since the new perks, but there are proper defensive counters, right?

I want to get back into it, but I get incredibly frustrated at the lag.

I wish Sony would put LoU PS4 MP on proper servers. MS seems to be promoting that a lot for their exclusives.

zert

I've been playing MP every night lately, still have a lot of fun but it definitely changed the pace of the game. What haven't changed is that the team with better communication and balanced perks is the team who ends up winning.

I didn't know about this thread. I think I found my new home. Are any of you guys streaming till the PS4 version comes out? I need some people to watch to get my fix.

Look up SanchoWest on YouTube. He's got a nice mix of TLOU vids, including tutorials, which will no doubt be helpful to new players like you.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Not being able to counter this style is not the issue, though, the problem is that 9/10 games play out exactly the same with advanced groups of 4 using the exact same rushing method again and again. It's boring. The introduction of the new perks encourages this type of play and it ruins what the game once was. It's really dull to come up against the same thing over and over again and it's not fun to play. Whenever my team of buddies has defeated of group of these types of assholes we're usually more angry at them from playing like that than happy to have won. It's a strange feeling.

I get what you're saying in general, but can't understand your attitude with the bolded. Did you ever think those "assholes" could be getting the last laugh (even if they lose) because they might be having a good time? I can understand if you're with randoms and it's hard to work with multiple playstyles on one team, but if you're with your buddies then you should be able to coordinate and have a good time regardless of your opponents.

Calling other players names because they don't play like you, or play "boring" is pretty immature, imo. It's like beating someone in Street Fighter who does nothing but wakeup dragon punches. Just beat them calmly and carefully and hope you've taught them a lesson.

You misunderstood. I don't mean verbally attack them, we always have randoms muted anyway, and besides I'm a grown-ass man, I hate that shit-talking crap!

I mean that even when we win we don't say "oh man that was a great, fun game", we're just pissed off that we came up against the same type of player for the umpteenth time. Like I said, it's really boring. I'm sure it is fun for them as they're probably in it for the points (they seem like super serious, clan-types) but the friends I always play with just want an enjoyable match which is increasingly difficult to come by these days. Interrogation matches are often ruined by these types of players as once they manage to get your lockbox 3/4 open they'll just camp in your territory and keep respawning on each other without actually opening the box, just racking up the kills over and over until time runs out.

Play for an hour or 2 (on the recently released maps especially) and you'll see how disheartening it is to see all 4 of the other team on top of you 25 seconds into the match again and again. Manage to kill them and they regroup and just do it again a minute later. Sometimes they learn their lesson and try something else and an actually decent match will come out of it but it's pretty rare in my experience.

WITHE1982

For anyone who wants a quick idea of how the multiplayer works then I'd recommend watching the NGT videos (there's a hell of a lot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxB55WS3sH4

It's great as it features 4 guys on mic from their very first match all the way through until they become quite adept at it. It'll give you new guys an idea of what it's like as a team trying to communicate with each other.

Also Muddled Muppet over on TLOU forums has some pretty good beginner guide videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/muddledmuppet/search?query=The+Last+Of+Us

Both helped me out a lot as did sanchowests amazing shiv video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw-Kpd9qIuo probably some of the best advice ever.

edit: beaten by ApatheticDolphin above. doffs cap.

By the way, does anyone here play in a group? Me and my three buddies would love to get a game going. Would beat the hell out of playing with randoms at any rate. We play every Sunday night at 8pm UK time. Let me know if anyone's interested!

For anyone who wants a quick idea of how the multiplayer works then I'd recommend watching the NGT videos (there's a hell of a lot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxB55WS3sH4

It's great as it features 4 guys on mic from their very first match all the way through until they become quite adept at it. It'll give you new guys an idea of what it's like as a team trying to communicate with each other.

Also Muddled Muppet over on TLOU forums has some pretty good beginner guide videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/muddledmuppet/search?query=The+Last+Of+Us

Both helped me out a lot as did sanchowests amazing shiv video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw-Kpd9qIuo probably some of the best advice ever.

edit: beaten by ApatheticDolphin above. doffs cap.

I've watched a lot of these when I was playing a lot. (just because I couldn't get enough TLOU MP at the time. All I have to say is... Spider is terrible. Great videos though.

Sancho's shiv video is great. I have been using a shiv based stealth build since the new skills were released to great effect. As others have said, a team full of rushers seems to be a very popular tactic nowadays, but I have found these rushers to be for the most part completely oblivious to their surroundings and very easy to get behind for the shiv kill. I had a match in Checkpoint where I hid behind an opened door while all four members of a team rushed passed me to the nearest supply box. With the new skill Executioner 3 equipped, I was able to sneak behind and shiv all four of them.

Haven't played MP since PS4 release but loved it and am definitely jumping in for the remaster. Can anyone explain to me the new perks?

quickwhips

Thanks guys. I will be watching some of the videos to pass the time till the 30th. Twitch streams have been few and far between but I have found some great ones to watch till then also.

Sancho's shiv video is great. I have been using a shiv based stealth build since the new skills were released to great effect. As others have said, a team full of rushers seems to be a very popular tactic nowadays, but I have found these rushers to be for the most part completely oblivious to their surroundings and very easy to get behind for the shiv kill. I had a match in Checkpoint where I hid behind an opened door while all four members of a team rushed passed me to the nearest supply box. With the new skill Executioner 3 equipped, I was able to sneak behind and shiv all four of them.

Unless the rushers are highly coordinated, I wouldn't expect them to be a problem. I'm confident I could take out 2-4 of them depending on the scenario. 'Haste makes waste' and 'fast isn't fast, smooth is fast' ring true. Playing the game smart is the way to go.

By the way, does anyone here play in a group? Me and my three buddies would love to get a game going. Would beat the hell out of playing with randoms at any rate. We play every Sunday night at 8pm UK time. Let me know if anyone's interested!

I don't know if I'd be available always, but I miss playing with others. GAFRadioHeadAche is my psn. I usually stick with a support loadout.

If you add me, put gaf in the message so I know it's not a random invite.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Play for an hour or 2 (on the recently released maps especially) and you'll see how disheartening it is to see all 4 of the other team on top of you 25 seconds into the match again and again. Manage to kill them and they regroup and just do it again a minute later. Sometimes they learn their lesson and try something else and an actually decent match will come out of it but it's pretty rare in my experience.
I getcha. Didn't assume you were calling them names to their faces (muting randoms is a no-brainer), but just meant to lighten up and maybe try new fun approaches with your buds if you're beating them that easily and getting bored.

The tricky thing is that, like wake-up dragon punches, sometimes that rushdown do-whatever-we-want shit works and you get frustrated at your own incompetence more than anything else. "How could I let them do that?"...

Dunno how you feel about Facebook, but I could hook you up with my pals back home in the UK who play pretty consistently at weekends. They're usually a team of 3-4 when they go on. I can't do Sunday evening because of my timezone, but I'll sometimes play with them late night or midday UK time. PSN ID is same as on here.

zert

Gonna log in, hope to see some GAF people, my psn is mzertu. If there's room for me please tell me!

edit: GG! too much fun playing with GAF.

So I have to ask this question again:

Recently, since the update, I have had the consistent problem that I was not able to craft a nailstick (2x4 with nail) while having all the required supplies. Anybody else have this problem?

Also, I'm very much up for playing in a team. In the euro-timezone but live strange worldly times so hit me up. PSN = GAFname.

chaosaeon

So I have to ask this question again:

Recently, since the update, I have had the consistent problem that I was not able to craft a nailstick (2x4 with nail) while having all the required supplies. Anybody else have this problem?

Also, I'm very much up for playing in a team. In the euro-timezone but live strange worldly times so hit me up. PSN = GAFname.

AFAIK the changed the materials so that you now need the board, the scissors, a binding and a rag. It was to balance it out because 1, everyone and their mother had a modified 2x4 3 minutes into every match, and 2, now it shares some materials with molotovs so you can't just craft both constantly.

My issue with this game is the occasional lag I'm assuming, that results in being killed by bombs and molotovs that are about 10 feet from where I'm standing while mine can land on top of them and they scoot away unharmed. Oh, and the sliding 1 hit melees from people who swing their board while they're way out of range and just magically start zooming toward me. Also not a fan of paid weapons and perks, especially since you don't even get them in the remastered version. Kind of a low move. It's like pay-to-win's cousin.

Rainy Dog

Posted this in the PS4 version thread but it got lost and might be better suited for in here anyway.

If I buy the PS4 US digital version for the uncut MP will I be able to play with UK players using their cut/UK versions of the game? Can anyone confirm that it definitely doesn't affect the PS3 versions at least? Thanks.

Business

Posted this in the PS4 version thread but it got lost and might be better suited for in here anyway.

If I buy the PS4 US digital version for the uncut MP will I be able to play with UK players using their cut/UK versions of the game? Can anyone confirm that it definitely doesn't affect the PS3 versions at least? Thanks.

Yes you can play with other UK players using your US digital version.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118866848&postcount=5732
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118867379&postcount=5734

DaciaJC

Gold Member
GAF, I need help. Yesterday, I bought a new copy of TLOU so as to try out the multiplayer (I played the story several months ago, then returned the game). Inside the case is a slip of paper labeled "Online Pass." On its back side, there's a voucher code which should be entered in order to "activate the online pass and access online features."

Well, I've entered this code several times now, and every time, all I get is a download for some Day One Season Pass Bonus Content. I'm not too sure what this is and don't need it, I just want to access the multiplayer. But no matter where I enter the voucher code (in-game, through Account Management, in the PS Store), I only able to download this bonus content, and the multiplayer screen tells me that I still need an online pass to access online (with the options to redeem a code or purchase one from the store).

I've tried searching the PS community forums but haven't found a solution yet.

WITHE1982

I've watched a lot of these when I was playing a lot. (just because I couldn't get enough TLOU MP at the time. All I have to say is... Spider is terrible. Great videos though.

Yup Spider was the worst yet the biggest moaner out of everyone. It's a great series to watch from the start.

AFAIK the changed the materials so that you now need the board, the scissors, a binding and a rag. It was to balance it out because 1, everyone and their mother had a modified 2x4 3 minutes into every match, and 2, now it shares some materials with molotovs so you can't just craft both constantly.

Damn, I feel rather dumb. Thanks for the reply though!

Been playing this on and off since launch and things have really started to feel off lately - with the new perks stealth was easier than ever for a while, but even in no parties I keep coming up against these aggressive teams.

You guys can talk about using stealth or teamwork to counter it - but when you've got players with no headsets to counter it the team just gets wiped out over and over and the mass of the other team sprints over to the next spawn point before you're even back in.

Can't rely on collectibles because teams like this constantly put you on your ass and you just don't have time to collect stuff - by the time you've got anything useful you're already 8 down and they're all armed with armour and 2x4's.

As a stealth player there's nothing you can do. You can't pick off stragglers because there are none, get a down and you'll be destroyed by a mass of 3 and he'll be healed. Can't lend support to a team which can't gather an assault.

They're quick enough "balancing" stealth tactics, something clearly needs to be tweaked.

I've got no problem with a full party with headsets getting away with this kind of stuff, but when the enemy team can do it with just a mob mentality then somethings up.

Business

Been playing this on and off since launch and things have really started to feel off lately - with the new perks stealth was easier than ever for a while, but even in no parties I keep coming up against these aggressive teams.

You guys can talk about using stealth or teamwork to counter it - but when you've got players with no headsets to counter it the team just gets wiped out over and over and the mass of the other team sprints over to the next spawn point before you're even back in.

Can't rely on collectibles because teams like this constantly put you on your ass and you just don't have time to collect stuff - by the time you've got anything useful you're already 8 down and they're all armed with armour and 2x4's.

As a stealth player there's nothing you can do. You can't pick off stragglers because there are none, get a down and you'll be destroyed by a mass of 3 and he'll be healed. Can't lend support to a team which can't gather an assault.

They're quick enough "balancing" stealth tactics, something clearly needs to be tweaked.

I've got no problem with a full party with headsets getting away with this kind of stuff, but when the enemy team can do it with just a mob mentality then somethings up.

Haven't seen this behaviour in no parties. With parties yes but I've seen it forever, not since the new perks, and I agree it's frustrating if your team just scatters and gets slaughtered individually. In those cases for lack of a better option I throw a smoke bomb into their group, run to them and take one of them with me with the shiv. At least will unsettle their team and I get one kill for one death.

How come ND is so good of a dev but cannot seem to understand what good matchmaking is? Both Uncharted and TloU...

112, 130, 60, 49. VS 102, 0, 4, 2.

What. The. Fuck.

I don't think matchmaking exists in The Last of Us. I always get paired with opponents of wildly different levels no matter the mode/dlc etc. Sometimes I come up against a group with 3 guys of level 800 or above and a level 0 who may or may not have played the game before. It's kinda fucked.

I want to start playing this online in the next couple weeks. Do you guys think a lot of the online players will be jumping over to the ps4 game?

Tekku

I played MP a lot when the game was released, but I haven't played much since.

Has there been any major changes to the game in terms of balance, weapon options and so on?

TheZink

Guys. I need help with a load out. I'm getting my rear handed to me every match. I love this game but I'm seriously bad and I normally pretty good shooters. What guns are the best overall?

I still have this game sitting around but have not touched the mutliplayer at all.
I own the season pass so I have all the DLC.

Can anyone recommend a great beginners guide to the multiplayer?

zebaz08

Guys. I need help with a load out. I'm getting my rear handed to me every match. I love this game but I'm seriously bad and I normally pretty good shooters. What guns are the best overall?

The bow is the best weapon, jus try to get behind the enemy and when they know where the arrows are coming from it will be too late.The revolver is the best secondary weapon imo (haven't used the enforcer though).

zma1013

I still have this game sitting around but have not touched the mutliplayer at all.
I own the season pass so I have all the DLC.

Can anyone recommend a great beginners guide to the multiplayer?

Just some general tips:

Don't just run around all willy nilly. If you run, you show up on the radar as a giant red dot and will be easily killed. I see many people do this and they always get absolutely crushed. It can be used to lure people into traps though.

Stick together. Going off out by yourself is very risky and you will most surely die if you come into contact with the enemy team.

The general pattern of group migration around a lot of maps is typically a circle around the outer perimeter. Just keep going around with your group in this circle collecting supplies until you run into the enemy.

If the rest of your team dies, it's a good idea to retreat away from the enemy and regroup with your respawning team if there's still a lot of enemies alive. (Applicable to the Supply Raid mode)

Try to pair up with others and form a team. The game is a lot more fun when you have an entire team that communicates.

Business

I use the semi automatic rifle because I find it a good all around weapon, for both close quarters and almost sniper. Maybe I'm only used to it. I sometimes use the bow too, I get worst results but it's a fun change.

For the secondary weapon I use the revolver.

TheZink

Thanks. I stuck with the semi auto today for a few hours and really improved my game. I did realize that I'm being matches with people ranked astronomically higher than me. I believe that is also a issue why I was having such a hard time.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Can not wait to try this on PS4, skipped it when I played the SP on a friend's PS3.

If the MP is as good as it sounds I will probably just skip Destiny altogether.

Thanks. I stuck with the semi auto today for a few hours and really improved my game. I did realize that I'm being matches with people ranked astronomically higher than me. I believe that is also a issue why I was having such a hard time.

Stick with people, listen to them. Move slowly, carefully. Other than that just keep playing and as you get more familiar with maps and the flow of the games you'll enjoy it more and more.

Man has anyone noticed that since the last DLC with the bomb expert perk, some people have just been throwing smoke and shiving whenever they get into combat? Shit is so annoying. On the plus side, I called one guy out for it and he challenged me to a 1v1 and I destroyed him. Yay!

Top Bottom