• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

TriAceJP

I don't think western games are my digg.

I play them and enjoy them, but I am never satisfied. I think this game is no where near a 10/10. 8.5 tops.

It has the same issues I have with Uncharted. People take too many hits. The stealth isn't very stealthy (I can take out just about every group of enemies without being seen, despite the fact my partner is in plain view and I am in a reasonably open area) You move wave after wave of enemy/collect stuff/story/enemy etc.

The game is beautiful. I enjoy the script, it's really great. I like the characters. However, I feel like I would rather watch this than play it.

At least this one isn't Falling Through Stuff and Glowing Pipes: The Game.

TripOpt55

About halfway through. This game is just amazing. I think it offers a little for all different kinds of gaming fans. The story and characters are great for those who prefer to play for that sort of thing. There is action, horror, survival, stealth and all done fairly well.

The combat encounters are just so good (to me at least). So many ways to approach them (or bypass them) and so many ways to toy with enemies. There aren't a ton of different enemies, but there are significantly different types which vary wildly with how they behave which makes combat scenarios less predictable. You get to hold onto any weapons you get, but switch between certain weapons, as well as healing and crafting all happen in real-time (or maybe not the right term, but during gameplay) which adds intensity to already intense combat encounters. AI seems pretty smart too. Also kind of a risk reward aspect to taking on enemies. Is it worth the ammo and health lost so you can scour the area for supplies, or do you pass by try to hold onto what you have. Personally, I've been killing stuff. Stealthily when I can, but I've wanted to explore all the levels.

I think my big question about the game is what would you do when not in combat and honestly there isn't much. But given the intensity of the combat, I think just walking around talking to other characters, getting supplies and crafting stuff to prepare for your next fight works as a nice respite from the action.

The story is great. Surprised me with a few things. Ellie is awesome. I like when she just starts making noises (some kind of music types noises). Like she is bored and just wants to pass the time or something... haha. I love it.

This game rocks. This is what I needed after being so blah about games lately.

Oh and I saw some cool little easter egg type things with Jak and Daxter and Uncharted! Pretty great. Took some cellphone pics... haha. Jak and Daxter is my favorite series and it is always cool to see it referenced.

Nothing's more satisfying than distracting clickers with a brick or bottle-then when they run to investigate the noise you toss a Molotov on them.

TOASTY!

Haha... this is like my favorite thing. And then usually they catch another enemy on fire which is a just a fun bonus.

Pranay

melee is the best thing about the game when you really mix it with gun and run and strealth.

It sucks when you do a normal melee when everyone becomes alert and the guys need to be hit with 5/7 punches.

Anyone else notice how well friendly AI when getting involved mixes with the melee.

I pressed triangle when i pushed the guy towards bill and he slashed his head off/

I have played the game 60 % run and gun and its damn good.

People who have been playing the game completely strelth , should try run and gun style in the next playthrough

The enemies aren't exactly bullet sponges, even on Hard. And melee is still so damn effective.

Not in normal either/
1 headshot kills, shoot at leg and melee the fuck out of them
Heck with my playstyle i do get hit a lot and i absoloutely fall to the ground as well

raphanum

Firstly, in regards to the autosaving glitch, I've kept my ps3 on since I've begun playing TLoU.

On another note: I haven't even completed TLoU, but I am in awe of ND. Honestly, TLoU delivers on every aspect. If you haven't played this yet, you must do it asap or you will be banished to hell.

Edit: also, somebody please tell me that it isn't just me and the visual/gfx are f*cking impressive? Outstanding for the fact that it's a PS3 and how much ND could squeeze out of it.

I'll add one more thing; TLoU is one major emotional roller coaster ride and try to refrain from using listen mode. It makes it too easy otherwise.

Game is ok so far. Great story, and voice acting is top notch.

Gameplay on the other hand... Sorry but clickers are fucking bullshit - why can I not melee them?

The aiming is by far the worst Ive ever dealt with in a videogame. I had the same issue with uncharted also. Sure, maybe Im used to PC and could use some aim assist, but seriously? I cant hit the fucking broad side of a god damn barn in this game let alone a "must headshot" on a clicker or Im dead.

Everything else is fine so far, but the aiming in this game is killing it for me. Never had an aiming issue in any other first or third person game other than uncharted and last of us.. :(

you can melee them, but you need to upgrade clubs and pipes with scissors on top. The same for grabbing them, only do it if you have any daggers.

By the way, how do i charge the lantern?. When it starts switching on and off a DS3 moving icon appears but wagging it doesn´t do shit.

Ah, the town is 3 or 4 steps above the city in intensity and quality. Fabulous!.

raphanum

About halfway through. This game is just amazing. I think it offers a little for all different kinds of gaming fans. The story and characters are great for those who prefer to play for that sort of thing. There is action, horror, survival, stealth and all done fairly well.

That is most definitely true.

Ellie is great
Amazing character
Has the voice actress done any other games?

She's the waitress who went on TV and thanked Captain Amrerica for saving her life.

Avengers32.jpg

ALSO HOLY SHIT. SHE WAS CHRISSY SEAVER ON GROWING PAINS.

im about 20% through.... great game, but Farcry 3 is soooo much better..

their is a rubber band effect in the game... sorta like COD games... just get to a certain point and your friends just instantly catch up to you...

Just got to Pittsburgh, amazing game. That intro is absolutely fantastic and
gutwrenching :(
. Troy Baker deserves SOME sort of award for his performance. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

Zekes!

I'm not that far in but the stealth doesn't really feel all that great

That's kind of my biggest issue and biggest disappointment so far, but I'm pretty engaged overall.

Sgblues

I think they should have put more stuff to pick up in the areas, not because we needed to make crafting easier or to craft more often but because most of the areas have huge, open spaces that you'd think would have something but don't, so its kind of a waste of time really going out of your way to explore places for nothing(not even enemies at times to fight) and most everything you do come across is on your path anyways except for the occasional
shiv doors

I did like the area in the subway where you could dive down and into to pick up stuff, that was cool, though had that been an empty area I would have laughed.

Eusis

Christ, I hope not.
That's kind of a screwed up comparison. I may as well go on about how I think Dark Souls is one of the best games in recent history and this doesn't stand up to it at all: even if I feel that way it's not really a relevant comparison, more a statement of what kinds of games I like more.

cacophony

I think they should have put more stuff to pick up in the areas, not because we needed to make crafting easier or to craft more often but because most of the areas have huge, open spaces that you'd think would have something but don't, so its kind of a waste of time really going out of your way to explore places for nothing(not even enemies at times to fight) and most everything you do come across is on your path anyways except for the occasional
shiv doors

I did like the area in the subway where you could dive down and into to pick up stuff, that was cool, though had that been an empty area I would have laughed.

i was thinking the same thing, there are so many opens areas I check thinking there is loot but they're empty. and somehow I'm like a 3rd through the game and I only have 5 skill pills lol

im about 20% through.... great game, but Farcry 3 is soooo much better..

their is a rubber band effect in the game... sorta like COD games... just get to a certain point and your friends just instantly catch up to you...

Put the game on hard and turn off listen mode. I had issues with the ai early on, I changed it to hard from normal continued on and it's much better. Just wait till you progress more in the game, you'll encounter different ai types such as clickers, runners and a bit later hunters, and they will definitely test you - it won't be a walk in the park, and now I love it.

I'm currently 9hrs in and 42% complete.

So what kind of score out of 10 do you guys think this game deserves if you totally ignore story and acting and *only* consider gameplay? (I haven't played it, and I'm wondering if I should).

Man... this game. Simply incredible. Everything is so, so amazing.

The A.I is so terrific too. Probably the best out there. Trying to go about things in stealth is awesome. The stealth mechanics just work because everything flows so naturally.

Pranay

So what kind of score out of 10 do you guys think this game deserves if you totally ignore story and acting and *only* consider gameplay? (I haven't played it, and I'm wondering if I should).

First 4 hrs 8.5/10, next 5 hrs i think 9/10, have to play the remainder

Gameplay wise the game is 9/10 imo

I think its because of the hype, many found the first 4 hrs as slow.

I think the differnce between reviews and users is that the reviewers played the game without knowing that its a 10/10 games while many users i have noticed in the OT expect a 10/10 game with being perfect on all gameplay fronts.

Too bad he's recently married. :p

His wife clearly agrees then :p

Congrats Troy, on the off-chance you're reading this :D

He kinda looks like Delsin from Infamous: Second Son

I'll ask again since nobody answered, has the server fix definitely remedied the autosave glitch, allowing me to remain signed in while I play?

GlamFM

Banned
Finally found the time to play the first 3 hours or so.

Great game, but I´m still waiting for the game get back to the greatness of the first half hour.
Hope that wasn´t the high point already.

I still don´t like NDs gunplay at all. Hope that one day they make a game that plays as well as it looks.

Still - great game, can´t wait to get back to it tonight.

SRTtoZ

His wife clearly agrees then :p

Congrats Troy, on the off-chance you're reading this :D

He kinda looks like Delsin from Infamous: Second Son

I'll ask again since nobody answered, has the server fix definitely remedied the autosave glitch, allowing me to remain signed in while I play?

He IS Delsin lol. They used his face for mocap.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can someone briefly explain what the hell is happening in the MP, because the game really doesn't. I am on week 1, day 5. How do I "lose"?

Well, my playthrough was for nothing. For finishing the game on hard I didn't get ANY trophies, except some little achievement for crafting all items. Not that I really care about trophies but still...

Well, my playthrough was for nothing. For finishing the game on hard I didn't get ANY trophies, except some little achievement for crafting all items. Not that I really care about trophies but still...

What's up with the trophy situation? I haven't unlocked anything in 9hrs of gameplay. Weird.

Footos22

Ok I'm about 6 hours in and I fucking love this game. Molotovs are so damn satisfying. No save glitch here. I haven't Downoaded the update though. Also love no trophies popping up at all. Perfecto.

One thing I did notice is that they were really stingy with the trophies in this game. They could have had a shit-!ton of them, but there are so few. Missed opportunities. Though I can't classify it as an actual complaint with the game, which is pretty near flawless.

Levito

Banned
Played about 4 hours of The Last Of Us. It's pretty good... No wait I mean CITIZEN KANE WHARGARBLE.

Impressions, the good: Great score, really fleshed out characters, plot moves along nicely, great art direction, intense stealth with the infected

Impressions, the bad: AI partners are dumb as mud and make tons of noise during stealth, hurts the immersion. Framerate is weak and AA is very lacking, this game really needed to be a PS4 title. It really puts a spotlight on the aging PS3 hardware.

This game also fully utilizes the cutscene crutch too, and has yet to really advance storytelling methods in a way that is unique to gaming. Normally I wouldn't give a game shit for that, but considering how many reviews praised it as a landmark, it's a bit disappointing. Although, not finished yet so hopefully it'll improve in that regard.

Anyone else playing on Hard? The infected(mostly clickers) can be quite a handful on this difficulty.

Dr Dogg

Just finished up. Story wise top shelf, gameplay wise middling ground. Oh and for those who think you've been spoiled, either a revelation or the ending, I somewhat doubt it. I would just shut your browser, avoid YouTube and crack it out then head on over to the spoiler thread to gush.

What's up with the trophy situation? I haven't unlocked anything in 9hrs of gameplay. Weird.

I think the idea is that Naughty Dog wanted you to focus on the story and not just trophy hunting. If you look in the bonus menu there's a section called Tags which has all the usual trophy milestones. There's an option to turn on Tag notifications if you want something to pop up whilst you play. I'm glad there wasn't something popping up every now and then breaking immersion. But hey different strokes for different folks.

Can I somehow unlock survivor difficulty? I don't fucking wanna play the game again to unlock it. Especially when I don't even sure if it'll unlock this time

Top Bottom