• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

nib95

Banned
wtf? Why should every game have co-op?
Do you want another dudebro shooter?

The MP is fantastic and doesn't feel tacked on, imo.

Well, it's definitely not tacked on since, you know, a massive portion of their team worked dedicated to the multiplayer alone. You don't put aside millions to a particular mode as a meagre "tack on". People need to realise that just because a multiplayer mode is not to your taste, does not mean it is "tacked on".

Pranay

I said the same thing earlier but it does pick up once you encounter the infected.

However, I've played it for about 3 hours now and I still wouldn't say it's worthy of the praise it has gotten.

Huh? I've played for 3 hours and I'm 28% through O__o

when you go and meet bill thats when the game really starts.

very open areas

DatDude

Banned
I gotta say though the
pitsburgh
section was hit and miss for me.

I really liked the hunter encounters. They were really fun to fight. But I saw myself getting lost alot of the times in those levels and not really sure where to go or what to do next..again i feel this game could benefit alot from having a compass system where it points you in the right direction, also I wouldn't mind having that tip thing pop up whenever i want it to pop up. Instead the hint thing popped up after running around like an idiot for 10 minutes.

Also there was a shit ton of enemy encounters in that stage. My favorite was probably the basement hotel. That was scary and tense as fuck. Though the last 3/4th really made up for it..especially you get some nice exploration later in that level and a nice development.

Zemm

What? Just because I want co-op doesn't mean I want shoot bangs. How about two (or even more) people working together to stealthily take down enemies, timing it so you all sneak up on each target at the same time? There's a ton of potential for co-op, I'm really surprised they didn't include it. If it ends up being a DLC mode I'll be pissed.

I keep getting a bug where when it starts a MP game it'll cut out the sound until I restart the game.

nib95

Banned
Well, that's very subjective. If you move around outside of your house, does your world stutter and feel laggy around you? Framerate (60FPS for that reason) imo is the Nr. 1 immersion factor and as soon as I feel that the game drops frames again (or I stop using the flashlight because it drops frames so bad) I'm out of that world and back on my couch. Immersion doesn't work that way. This thing is not a movie, it's a game and therefore a good developer prioritizes that the interaction between player and game world is perfect. Framerate is a huge factor here. I'm kinda annoyed when I need to shoot an enemy (worse: he's running at me) because I feel like I can't aim for shit at 27FPS. The difference to 1080p/60FPS Tomb Raider is gigantic and I'm actuall more immersed in the latter although Tomb Raiders characters, story and world really is shit in comparison.

You can't not aim for shit because it's 27fps. You can't aim for shit because you can't aim for shit. Millions of gamers have been aiming perfectly fine on thousands of games that have been 30fps or below. I actually played both the PC and PS3 versions of Tomb Raider, and again, barely felt a gameplay difference. You need a higher fps in PC games because you're using a high sensitivity mouse, you don't so much in consoles because you're using analogue sticks that have infinitely less movement range and less precision.

I don't think there's a third person shooter or this type of an adventure game this entire generation that has been 60fps. You get twitch action games like DMC etc that are, but that's again because they have a very fast tempo, high octane combat that relies heavily on quick combo's etc. A very different world from games like Last of Us, Gears or Killzone which are far slower and weightier affairs.

Bare in mind that in TLoU, weapons sway and move even if you don't. You need to counter balance that. It's essentially like countering recoil from the old days in games like Counter Strike, only now you have to combat recoil AND weapon sway, which to be honest is the natural next step to realistic gunplay. Something that too few games these days make people do.

Thrakier

You can't not aim for shit because it's 27fps. You can't aim for shit because you can't aim for shit. Millions of gamers have been aiming perfectly fine on thousands of games that have been 30fps or below. I actually played both the PC and PS3 versions of Tomb Raider, and again, barely felt a gameplay difference. You need a higher fps in PC games because you're using a high sensitivity mouse, you don't so much in consoles because you're using analogue sticks that have infinitely less movement range and less precision.

I don't think there's a third person shooter or this type of an adventure game this entire generation that has been 60fps. You get twitch action games like DMC etc that are, but that's again because they have a very fast tempo, high octane combat that relies heavily on quick combo's etc. A very different world from games like Last of Us, Gears or Killzone which are far slower and weightier affairs.

Bare in mind that in TLoU, weapons sway and move even if you don't. You need to counter balance that. It's essentially like countering recoil from the old days in games like Counter Strike, only now you have to combat recoil AND weapon sway, which to be honest is the natural next step to realistic gunplay. Something that too few games these days make people do.

Really? You want to explain to me, that framerate and therefore the delay between input and output on the screen, doesn't influence how playable a game is?

Maybe you didn't feel a difference between a PC and PS3 Tomb Raider because your PC didn't run the game @60FPS. If it actually did and you can't feel how unbelievable much better 60FPS than 25 to 27FPS is, well then...you are kinda blessed I guess. :)

nib95

Banned
Really? You want to explain to me, that framerate and therefore the delay between input and output on the screen, doesn't influence how playable a game is?

Maybe you didn't feel a difference between a PC and PS3 Tomb Raider because your PC didn't run the game @60FPS. If it actually did and you can't feel how unbelievable much better 60FPS than 25 to 27FPS is, well then...you are kinda blessed I guess. :)

My PC probably ran the game at higher than that, though it was capped at 60fps. I don't have extreme hardware, but modest enough to run most games at very high settings getting decent frame rates, even Bioshock Infinite. I'm rocking a GTX 570 SSC, 3.8ghz i7, SSD hard drive etc etc.

Obviously 60fps is better than 30fps. But what I'm trying to say is that if you can't shoot in particular game, it's not because the game is 30fps. That notion is absurd.

maomaoIYP

Totally agreed. The MP is fantastic. Loving the clan system, punishes folks for quitting, rewards for assisting team members.

And there is hardly an emphasis on melee, melee weapons are very hard to come by. The MP's emphasis is on crafting, and teamwork.

Kule

Just finished my first playthrough and I'm really impressed with what they managed to get out of the PS3. Only negative is that I had the save bug and didn't realise until 12 hours too late, so after the credits the game just froze and I had to shut it off through the xmb menu. Nothing carried over once I restarted the game.
The ai seemed a bit wonky towards the end and there are some strange wall glitches if you line the gun sight up tight against a wall corner without the character sticking to the wall, it seems to despawn the background and you can get easy hits on your targets as they have no cover anymore.

*Click Click Click* goes my revolver...
As I start reloading, the guy I'm trading shots with yells, "He's out of ammo, get him!" and proceeds to rush me down with a burst of intensity. I immediately halt my reload short on the second bullet and manage to pop one in his skull. At that instant, that brief instant of respite, Ellie yells "Behind you!" and I quick turn on instinct. Sure enough, I squeeze off my final round into the forehead of another guy inches away from clubbing me with a lead pipe. Ellie just saved my skin...

I had to put the controller down and appreciate what I had just witnessed. Goty Confirmed!

Yup, this kind of stuff is what makes the game special. Sometimes you have to make split second decisions, specially with clickers. Do I have a melee weapon to take it on? Do I have a shiv to avoid being insta-killed if it grabs me? Do I run to buy time to reload my weapon? It gets crazy.
Yesterday I was about to be grabbed by one and one of the other characters blew its head off at the last second. I thought I had time to reload but miscalculated.

Thrakier

My PC probably ran the game at higher than that, though it was capped at 60fps. I don't have extreme hardware, but modest enough to run most games at very high settings getting decent frame rates, even Bioshock Infinite. I'm rocking a GTX 570 SSC, 3.8ghz i7, SSD hard drive etc etc.

Obviously 60fps is better than 30fps. But what I'm trying to say is that if you can't shoot in particular game, it's not because the game is 30fps. That notion is absurd.

I can aim at 30FPS, but it's worse than 60FPS. But even worse is a fluctuating framerate below 30FPS. I can still hit my enemy, obviously, but it's just no fun because it feels like a chore to do it and not like I'm in total control. I find it kinda hilarious that this is something that still needs to be discussed. I thought by now everyone would know and witness the difference.

Your 570 probably did not run Tomb Raider at 60 if you didn't lower most of the settings. The fact that you can't say it for sure tells alot about your perception though and fits very well to your other statements. No offense. :)

Damn ng+ doesnt let me start on survivor :(. Well at least theres a ng+.

You can't carry over ng+ to higher difficulty levels, that's normal.

TLoU > RE4

You know, I don't feel comfortable comparing games separated by so many years. You could argue that 8 years later it better be but on the other hand it doesn't really work like that. It obviously isn't the gamechanger RE4 was but like I said above, I think ND have further perfected the formula, building on what has come before.

Zemm

Well, it's definitely not tacked on since, you know, a massive portion of their team worked dedicated to the multiplayer alone. You don't put aside millions to a particular mode as a meagre "tack on". People need to realise that just because a multiplayer mode is not to your taste, does not mean it is "tacked on".

How is it not tacked on when there are two modes (which are basically the same) and like 4 maps?

nib95

Banned
I can aim at 30FPS, but it's worse than 60FPS. But even worse is a fluctuating framerate below 30FPS. I can still hit my enemy, obviously, but it's just no fun because it feels like a chore to do it and not like I'm in total control. I find it kinda hilarious that this is something that still needs to be discussed. I thought by now everyone would know and witness the difference.

Your 570 probably did not run Tomb Raider at 60 if you didn't lower most of the settings. The fact that you can't say it for sure tells alot about your perception though and fits very well to your other statements. No offense. :)

You're backtracking hardcore. You never said aiming was more difficult because of the frame rate, you said you couldn't aim for shit because of it. What I'm saying is that you can't aim because you can't aim, not because of the frame rate. It's more likely to do with the lack of auto aim, the recoil/sway, your skill with the controller, how you're getting on with the movement acceleration etc etc. Not frame rate.

I usually play with fraps open or on in the background. I'm pretty anal about it. It's also easier to notice frame rate drops on a PC than normal imo, partly because you're dropping from higher frame rates and partly because of monitors vs TV's etc.

DatDude

Banned
You know you have a special game on your hands when you don't want it to end. Seriously, your first playthrough will always be the best, and knowing I'm heading towards the finish line is just depressing.

It's just a pity that games of this breadth and quality are so rare nowadays.

BeeDog

Just got to the part where you meet Bill and gather the supplies from the restaurant. Very compelling game, great characters and amazing attention to detail overall. Could very well be one of the very best games this generation has pumped out.

I guess I still have a long way to go with this game?

You can easily get 60fps at 1080p on TR with a 570 with Tressfx off and a couple of other minor compromises.
My advice: stop playing console games.

You know you have a special game on your hands when you don't want it to end. Seriously, your first playthrough will always be the best, and knowing I'm heading towards the finish line is just depressing.

It's just a pity that games of this breadth and quality are so rare nowadays.

My thoughts exactly.

MMaRsu

Just got to the part where you meet Bill and gather the supplies from the restaurant. Very compelling game,
great characters and amazing attention to detail overall. Could very well be one of the very best games this generation has pumped out.

I guess I still have a long way to go with this game?

You havent seen nothing yet :)

A long way to go indeed!

I beat the game on hard, id rather do a ng+ on hard again then start barebones on survival

iNvid02

the narrative, the characters, the voice acting, the animation, the visuals, the lighting and shadows, the attention to detail, the incredibly satisfying combat, the intensity of the gameplay, the sound design, the atmosphere, gustavo's beautiful soundtrack, the exceptional pacing...

it just all comes together better than i could have hoped for. tlou is easily one of the greatest games of this generation. everyone at naughty dog should be incredibly proud of this.

being primarily a PC gamer you guys are one of the main reasons im even getting a PS4, i know the playstation is the only place to find the naughty dog experience, cannot wait to see what you guys craft with PS4.

uGM4Tbq.gif

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I just started the demo area with my headphones on. Holy fucking amazeballs. That area looks worse than the previous ones, but the sound design is utterly brilliant. Just walking back and forth, listening to rain, thunder, rain on different surfaces.

DatDude

Banned
the narrative, the characters, the voice acting, the animation, the visuals, the lighting and shadows, the attention to detail, the incredibly satisfying combat, the intensity of the gameplay, the sound design, the atmosphere, gustavo's beautiful soundtrack, the exceptional pacing...

it just all comes together better than i could have hoped for. tlou is easily one of the greatest games of this generation. everyone at naughty dog should be incredibly proud of this.

being primarily a PC gamer you guys are one of the main reasons im even getting a PS4, i know the playstation is the only place to find the naughty dog experience, cannot wait to see what you guys craft with PS4.

uGM4Tbq.gif

I think what makes Naughty Dog so special (and this applies to Irrational to) is there attention to detail. It's just so fucking amazing. You can tell they spent time going over every bit of this world that they created.

Also, some of the best occurrences in this game are the little ones. Ellie trying to whistle, or her playing darts, or her simply humming to herself when she's bored and your exploring. It's those little things that really immerse you into this world and her character, and it's something only a few developers really strive to do, unfortunately.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I played about 2 hours yesterday and loved every single minute of it. Story is mature, so is combat compared to Uncharted. The intro, the way the story unfolds in the car... And the music <3

Naughty gods, best studio in the industry.

StuBurns

Banned
You know, I don't feel comfortable comparing games separated by so many years. You could argue that 8 years later it better be but on the other hand it doesn't really work like that. It obviously isn't the gamechanger RE4 was but like I said above, I think ND have further perfected the formula, building on what has come before.
Of course, there should have been an action game better than RE4 years ago, but there wasn't. I'm not saying TLoU is the achievement RE4 was, I don't think it is.

MMaRsu

im about 20% through.... great game, but Farcry 3 is soooo much better..

their is a rubber band effect in the game... sorta like COD games... just get to a certain point and your friends just instantly catch up to you...

Fc3 better? Nope. The hud alone makes this game better :p.

You're backtracking hardcore. You never said aiming was more difficult because of the frame rate, you said you couldn't aim for shit because of it. What I'm saying is that you can't aim because you can't aim, not because of the frame rate. It's more likely to do with the lack of auto aim, the recoil/sway, your skill with the controller, how you're getting on with the movement acceleration etc etc. Not frame rate.

I usually play with fraps open or on in the background. I'm pretty anal about it. It's also easier to notice frame rate drops on a PC than normal imo, partly because you're dropping from higher frame rates and partly because of monitors vs TV's etc.

The experience you get from 60fps on consoles is way less input delay/lag, so much more responsive. I can aim way better in a 60fps game then a sub 30.

It was the first thing I noticed playing this, input delay, but i guess it can't get much better at 30. I must say I've been playing nothing but pc at +60fps last year or so, so i'm extremely sensitive to it.

mxgt

Banned
The section leading up to and including meeting Bill has done wonders in winning me over. Loved it.

Ellie's interactions with Bill are hilarious

Everyone is saying that the game doesn't really start until you meet Bill. How far long do you meet Bill?

3 and a half hours for me. I'd say it gets interesting after meeting Ellie but since I stopped at Bill earlier so maybe it'll make everything before that point retroactively boring somehow.

Top Bottom