• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

That melee man, you can feel it!
I'm creeping up on a guy and he spots me, he's about to draw his gun so I rush him and make it just in time, I fucking mash the square button and break that fucking baseball bat on his head and that cracking sound just pumps through my headset. GOD DAMN!

Last few hours have been a friggin' rollercoaster ride. It's so hard to stop playing.

Thrakier

Can someone help me, for a while now when playing my ps3, the screen is always too dark, even when i raise the in game brightness. Yesterday i was playing this and the night scenes at the very start i can barely see anything. My ps3 is plugged hdmi. The rub is that so is my 360, on the same tv and on there, the colors and brightness are fine. Is there a setting i dont know about here?

Check if RGB Full is activated and if so, deactivate it.

Zemm

3rd time i ask this:

does anyone know what tag popups are and should i turn them off or not ?

I think it's when a friendly AI shouts something like "enemy to your left!" and the enemy will get highlighted like a wallhack. Not 100% sure on that though. The game is better with everything off in my opinion.

Darkkn

Damn. I'm usually pretty good at MP games, but i just played my first 2 matches of this online and did not get a single kill. Needless to say it was very frustrating experience. Maybe I was just doing it wrong.

Fezan

Finally finished this game. played for about 19 hours on medium difficulty and this is among the most tense gaming session that i have ever had. really tired after ending this game.ended the game in 2 sitings and had similar experience to re4 that i never wanted the game to end .

This is now my GOTG and among top game of all times. it has even surpassed re4 for me.
where re4 was revolutionary at that time this game is almost perfecting the same formula

Thrakier

OK, the framerate issues are getting way way way worse. The whole part where you meet Bill? It's not playable anymore, I'm pretty sure it dips into the tens quite often. It feels, plays and looks like shit. Also the jagged shadows are gross.

The comparisons to RE4 or HL2 are a fucking joke. Those two games were polished like crazy with perfectly enjoyable gameplay.

Last of Us feels like it's in some sort of beta status, running on the wrong machine. It's even way worse then what I expected and it's a fucking joke reviewers didn't pick these issues up. Are the standards really that low!?

Characters, world and story are great, Combat is well thought out and feels fresh, the survival aspects are great...but it PLAYS LIKE SHIT. Man, that's frustrating. I will finish it and never again will I touch my PS3 again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What the fuck is this shit? Aiming at 27FPS is worse and harder than aiming at 60FPS. Do we really need to discuss that? Certainly I can train and adopt to 27, but that's not fun and not worth it.

I don't have a problem aiming with a controller, neither do I have a problem with accleration, recoil or sway. It's just that the fucking framerate sucks hard and it's a fucking shame that such a jewel of a game suffers so hard under these restrictions. It's Shadows of the Colossus all other again. Massive, epic potential, but borderline playable. And that stinks.
That's some serious hyperbole. The framerate is certainly less than optimal but it does not drop anywhere near as hard or as often as Shadow of the Colossus. It's not even remotely close.

It's a shame they couldn't achieve a stable framerate, though, as that issue in combination with the more subdued visual style gives one the impression that the game looks a bit worse than Uncharted 2 and 3.

OK, the framerate issues are getting way way way worse. The whole part where you meet Bill? It's not playable anymore, I'm pretty sure it dips into the tens quite often. It feels, plays and looks like shit. Also the jagged shadows are gross.

The comparisons to RE4 or HL2 are a fucking joke. Those two games were polished like crazy with perfectly enjoyable gameplay.
OK, I haven't actually made it that far. Just 4-5 hours of gameplay thus far. It hasn't been that bad.

That said, suggesting that HL2 was polished is the real joke. The game was a technical piece of shit at launch and for months afterward. One of the worst first impressions out of the gate I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing. The fact that it was a PC game and future hardware would end up handling it more smoothly was about the only thing that could save it.

Can someone help me, for a while now when playing my ps3, the screen is always too dark, even when i raise the in game brightness.
Interesting, I have the opposite issue with this game. Even with brightness at minimum, the gamma is too high for my taste. I might disable the RGB full option on my TV while leaving it enabled on PS3 and see if I can achieve darker blacks.

Damn. I'm usually pretty good at MP games, but i just played my first 2 matches of this online and did not get a single kill. Needless to say it was very frustrating experience. Maybe I was just doing it wrong.
How were you playing? I've found that going slow, working as a team, ambushing, flanking, being stealthy, is the way to go. Trying to go lone wolf like CoD will get you killed.

Just play as if you were playing single player. The MP has that same kind of feeling and tension.

Finally finished this game. played for about 19 hours on medium difficulty and this is among the most tense gaming session that i have ever had. really tired after ending this game.ended the game in 2 sitings and had similar experience to re4 that i never wanted the game to end .

This is now my GOTG and among top game of all times. it has even surpassed re4 for me.
where re4 was revolutionary at that time this game is almost perfecting the same formula
Would you agree with everyone else that the second half is amazing and much better/mote intense than the first half?

Haven't gotten to there yet, just curious

Darkkn

How were you playing? I've found that going slow, working as a team, ambushing, flanking, being stealthy, is the way to go. Trying to go lone wolf like CoD will get you killed.

Just play as if you were playing single player. The MP has that same kind of feeling and tension.

Yeah, I think i was probably playing too aggressive. Gonna try again with more careful approach.

Dr Dogg

Hmm, I'm in a tough spot to search for them in this area... Very dard too.

Hahaha I know where you are. From where you picked up the note got to the direct opposite side of the area, as in do a 180. There should be a counter of a shop and behind that is the safe. Obviously use the flashlight when it's dark :p.

Edit: Hahaha. Oh well nevermind seams you found it anyway.

Last of Us feels like it's in some sort of beta status, running on the wrong machine. It's even way worse then what I expected and it's a fucking joke reviewers didn't pick these issues up. Are the standards really that low!?

Characters, world and story are great, Combat is well thought out and feels fresh, the survival aspects are great...but it PLAYS LIKE SHIT. Man, that's frustrating. I will finish it and never again will I touch my PS3 again.

Shadow of the Colossus had some pretty bad framerate issues but it didn't stop a lot of us in declaring as the best game for the PS2. Frankly for me, despite the buggy partner AI, buggy enemy AI if you disturb their conversation, the fact that you cannot move the bodies, aliasing, blurry textures, other graphic bugs, stupid restart bug that makes you miss all your melee attacks, it is still one of the best game for the PS3.

Thrakier

How's the framerate? consistent 30?

Are you kidding me? Just read this page! It's shit.

OK, I haven't actually made it that far. Just 4-5 hours of gameplay thus far. It hasn't been that bad.

You are in for a treat.

That said, suggesting that HL2 was polished is the real joke. The game was a technical piece of shit at launch and for months afterward. One of the worst first impressions out of the gate I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing. The fact that it was a PC game and future hardware would end up handling it more smoothly was about the only thing that could save it.

I didn't play it at launch, so I take that back. However, I played RE4 on the gamecube and that was an amazing experience with great tech to back it up, even by todays standards, a true classic. In comparison, Last of Us is like the PS2 version of RE4. Just worse. The underlying quality is completly fucked by the technical issues.

Interesting, I have the opposite issue with this game. Even with brightness at minimum, the gamma is too high for my taste. I might disable the RGB full option on my TV while leaving it enabled on PS3 and see if I can achieve darker blacks.

Are you serious? Crushing your blacks is like the worst thing you can do to your image quality.

MMaRsu

The comparisons to RE4 or HL2 are a fucking joke. it PLAYS LIKE SHIT. Man, that's frustrating.

Well that must be your standards because while I did feel it dips sometimes, I never had it going into the tens. It's not unplayable at all. It doesnt play like shit.

Honestly I am wondering if you didn't push this in your Ps2.

Shadow of the Colossus had some pretty bad framerate issues but it didn't stop a lot of us in declaring as the best game for the PS2. Frankly for me, despite the buggy partner AI, buggy enemy AI if you disturb their conversation, the fact that you cannot move the bodies, aliasing, blurry textures, other graphic bugs, stupid restart bug that makes you miss all your melee attacks, it is still one of the best game for the PS3.

I honestly disagree, all those issues combined with the save fuck up have made an average game at best. Im simply not getting this tense experience everyone raves about because im onstantly being reminded im lplaying a bugyy game.

Sethos

Banned
I honestly disagree, all those issues combined with the save fuck up have made an average game at best. Im simply not getting this tense experience everyone raves about because im onstantly being reminded im lplaying a bugyy game.

Well, one would hope they start doing some proper QA next generation. Bugs have already killed this game for me, average mess.

Oh and the framerate is quite awful at times.

dark10x

Are you serious? Crushing your blacks is like the worst thing you can do to your image quality.
Tried it. Actually does not crush blacks as the TV can display those low levels. It does look better and no picture detail is lost. I'd imagine most TVs would not fare so well, however.

ISF calibrated Kuro Elite here.

Thrakier

Well that must be your standards because while I did feel it dips sometimes, I never had it going into the tens. It's not unplayable at all. It doesnt play like shit.

Honestly I am wondering if you didn't push this in your Ps2.

Sure my standard is 60 FPS. I don't know if it drops to 21 or 19, but it's very very low. You basically loose all your control when engaged by multiple enemies. It's gross. If you think sub 30 fps plays and looks just fine, well,then your standards are pretty low, no offense.

Afro

Here are my impressions after about 24 hours and reaching level 12 or so (Supply Raid since I avoid elimination game types at all costs).

good

+ The maps are decent except for The Dam. Some tense choke point shootouts.
+ A few of the Tier 1 and 2 perks get interesting once you start leveling. Playing Medic and chasing around weak teammates while slowly healing them is fun.
+ Rarely have I had an enemy spawn behind me.
+ Don't think Listening Mode is nearly as OP as everyone thought it'd be. Seems to only last a few seconds before recharge and requires you to move at a snail's pace. Rarely felt the need to use it.
+ Being able to heal self while moving.
+ Rewards teamwork. You lone wolf, you die.

bad

- Constantly in and out of crafting menus for the entire match. I realize this is what differentiates this from Uncharted MP, but having to press Select, R1, Down, Craft Ammo after every few kills gets old quick, even though I can now fly through the button presses with the speed of Bruce Lee.
- It's hard to judge how visible your character is when peeking around a corner, more so than any other TSP. Not good for a shooter with gunplay that centers around stealthily ADS'ing around corners.
- Reminds me how every TPS needs a Gears 3 cover system (and control scheme).
- No blind firing?
- Spotting lasts way too long (I realize there is an "impervious to being spotted" perk). Still game-breakingly OP. Fortunately nobody realizes this yet.
- ADS strafe speed feels too slow. Needs slight boost.
- Can't see this holding my interest long term, especially when SC: Spies v. Mercs, a much more interesting, complex, 4v4 competitive MP game, releases in a month.

Dunno whats up with you guys.

The game is great and I can't wait to get back to it.

I'm fighting the Hunters atm. I'm playing on hard, with very little health and no listen mode. Loving it.

Sure my standard is 60 FPS. I don't know if it drops to 21 or 19, but it's very very low. You basically loose all your control when engaged by multiple enemies. It's gross. If you think sub 30 fps plays and looks just fine, well,then your standards are pretty low, no offense.

I agree my standard is also 60 but I can live with 30 and even a dip here or there but it dips so often it becomes unplayabley sluggish.

Mogwai

Been playing 4,5 hours so far and I really like it. I'm very impressed of how ND has gone in a completely new direction, both gameplay, mood and setting-wise all at the same time.

dark10x

Damn, I'm really concerned to see these complaints. I was genuinely hoping that it wouldn't get any worse than it already had. At this point, it has been a slight bother but not a huge issue.

This game would make a lot of sense to release on PS4 at some point in an enhanced form. Though, I suspect it would take some effort to port over as a result of the architecture differences. :|

Uncharted 2 and 3 certainly seem a lot more impressive from a technical standpoint.

Top Bottom