• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

StuBurns

Banned
I think the performance is going to be play style dependent. The bookstore encounter for example, if you run in there and just go for everyone, it's going to crawl, but you can pick them all off separately and there's very little of a hit to the performance.

cormack12

Gold Member
A note for those asking what 'tag popups' are.

Tag seems to be a catch all term for type of collectible. When you achieve a preset task (outlined in pause->bonuses->tags), then it pops up in the right hand corner of the screen (upper), telling you what you unlocked and how much $$$ it gave you to use in multiplayer.

Sort of like novice fortune hunter etc. in Uncharted. Though there aren't as many trophies in thei game for collectibles. Safe to disable, might spoil the immersion if on.

Sure my standard is 60 FPS. I don't know if it drops to 21 or 19, but it's very very low. You basically loose all your control when engaged by multiple enemies. It's gross. If you think sub 30 fps plays and looks just fine, well,then your standards are pretty low, no offense.

Maybe you need to get your system repaired or make sure your tv has a game mode. The game is totally playable for me and im having a great time.

3rd time i ask this:

does anyone know what tag popups are and should i turn them off or not ?

If you go into the bonus menus, you'll see there's a whole lists of additional "trophies" in addition to the normal ones, like in Uncharted 2. The tag pop-ups notify you when you've unlocked one of them (and gotten money for multiplayer or unlockable bonuses). I'd leave them off as they break the immersion and you can always check in the menus to see how you're doing.

Edit: beaten by cormack12. :)

Any opinions on what skills are the bedt to upgrade? Is shiv master worth it?

Shiv master avoids getting insta-killed when grabbed by a clicker so it's worth it. I upgraded weapon sway and the difference in aiming was quite noticeable, definitely worth upgrading for me.

I wish I could've gone with survival for the first playthrough, I'll have to start from scratch.

Any opinions on what skills are the bedt to upgrade? Is shiv master worth it?

I think so. There are later parts in the game where clickers are hard to spot out in a large group that is attacking. Its good to have that second chance to shiv a clicker and get away rathet than dying with a one hit kill.

I haven't played yet but I was fooling around in the audio menus, I noticed PCM is much lower volume than DTS, I have to crank it to get equivalent dB level. Is it still the preferred choice over DTS or should I just choose the one that sounds better to my ears? Obviously PCM is better technically but I feel like the dynamic range maybe wider and I am missing detail at none blasting levels.

I think the performance is going to be play style dependent. The bookstore encounter for example, if you run in there and just go for everyone, it's going to crawl, but you can pick them all off separately and there's very little of a hit to the performance.

Probably, when you're sneaking around killing them one by one it will definitely be smoother but even during hectic fights I haven't experienced what some people have been describing.

sunnz

Done a few missions into winter now..

Damn this game is so fucking EPIC.

The quality is just above any game I have played this gen imo.

3rd time i ask this:

does anyone know what tag popups are and should i turn them off or not ?

I think those are the little tags that pop up over the heads of people that are with you. You will hear more of what they have to say about a certain area or something that just happened etc... Its tied to a trophy, if you care about getting it don't run through areas so you don't miss them as they pop up.

Thrakier

Maybe you need to get your system repaired or make sure your tv has a game mode. The game is totally playable for me and im having a great time.

Yeah, I was guessing that a defective systeme might be the reason. Let me just call Sony and tell them to repair it so that it runs TLOU with a consistent framerate. Oh, I'll shoot Digital Foundry a message too, judging from their analysis they have the same problems too. So nice from you to let me know - I'll bet you have some insight regarding PS3 hardware, maybe you are even an engineer?

Man, this game is depressing. A game hasn't evoked this kind of response from me since Spec Ops: The Line.

Count me as another who hasn't experienced any frame-rate issues at all. I'm playing this on my almost-ancient 2008 40gb PS3 model.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If I remember correctly, you can choose both in game text, subtitle and audio freely. But SCEJ usually censors violence and gore in their games. If you care that kind of stuff, importing is a better option.

Thanks for your reply (this thread is moving fast!)

Do you mean you can choose in game text/subtitle/audio freely as in freely toggle them each between English/Japanese? If so that would be ideal.

I don't actually mind about any toned down violence, as I'm hoping to play through with my wife. Would rather just appreciate the action and drama ;) If you have any idea how they might censor a title like this then I'd be curious to know.

RS4-

Oh playing SP gives you some perks or bonuses when it comes to MP? I only played SP for about 15 mins lol, rest of the time has been multi

About to start it, Hard Mode No Listen.

What options should I have on and off for Game Hints, Strategic Tips, Melee Prompts and Tag Popups?

Also, why is Tutorial Hints greyed out?

Oh you could read the posts to get some idea.

No need to be sardonic.

I have - thanks very much, and the Bill levels were entirely playable for me. The framerate has felt pretty much thirty for me. I can't remember a point at which it hitched. And without a doubt the only thing I've had an issue with is the allies not being as stealthy as me. (which does still seem to get me caught).

EDIT:

To be fair, I think this is the case. Because I seriously have no had anything to complain about and I am very sensitive to framerate.

About to start it, Hard Mode No Listen.

What options should I have on and off for Game Hints, Strategic Tips, Melee Prompts and Tag Popups?

Also, why is Tutorial Hints greyed out?

Melee prompts maybe untill you get a feel for how close you need to be to grab enemies from behind. I have tag popups off but have no idea what it does. Some people have given suggestions but I'm still getting those things with the option disabled.

Gartooth

Played it for an hour and a half today. First of all glad I didn't have to deal with the autosave bug, feel bad for everyone who was playing it yesterday.

Also I've been having a really good time playing it, I don't know if the game will get better or worse later on, but this overall is a damn good game based on what I've played so far, and I was pulled into the story immediately with this game.

creyas

Halfway through. Might just be the finest thing you run with a video game console

Haven't been distracted by framerate trouble, really i don't think i have noticed any at all

MMaRsu

Sure my standard is 60 FPS. I don't know if it drops to 21 or 19, but it's very very low. You basically loose all your control when engaged by multiple enemies. It's gross. If you think sub 30 fps plays and looks just fine, well,then your standards are pretty low, no offense.

Well maybe I do have low standards because I never game on PC so the last 60fps locked game was probably COD online.

I never really had issues with massive framedrops in TLOU though. As in I never saw them.

No need to be sardonic.

I have - thanks very much, and the Bill levels were entirely playable for me. The framerate has felt pretty much thirty for me. I can't remember a point at which it hitched. And without a doubt the only thing I've had an issue with is the allies not being as stealthy as me. (which does still seem to get me caught).

EDIT:

To be fair, I think this is the case. Because I seriously have no had anything to complain about and I am very sensitive to framerate.

Even if it is play style dependent that doesn't make it okay. I find the stealth so boring in this game that guns blazing is pretty much what I do all the time.

OwlyKnees

Probably been mentioned, but did everyone catch the (minor easteregg spoiler)
Jak and Daxter and Uncharted boardgames in the toy store?

I love being rewarded for taking time to explore! Any other cool little touches people have found?

Thrakier

No need to be sardonic.

EDIT:

Sorry, but I have to: No, you are not. Obviously.

Bankoiia

At times, I can't help but to want to climb shit like Nathan Drake while I navigate the environment. But then I noticed, that in most cases you are actually looking for a way down rather than up, and the game really utilizes crouch to find small passages.

StuBurns

Banned
Even if it is play style dependent that doesn't make it okay. I find the stealth so boring in this game that guns blazing is pretty much what I do all the time.
I'm not making excuses for the game's performance, I was trying to suggest why there might be such a disparity between experiences. The game should run better, and it should look better too, basically, it should be on PS4.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
6 hours in, still havent reached
Bill
. Guess I am taking my sweet time marvelling at the sound/textures and inspecting every nook and cranny *goes to play Animal Crossing for a break of TLOU*

omonimo

Banned
I'm not making excuses for the game's performance, I was trying to suggest why there might be such a disparity between experiences. The game should run better, and it should look better too, basically, it should be on PS4.

Can I give a suggestion to you? Give a try & stop to believe to the others. I have played only the demo, I haven't noticed fps dips (it dips a lot looking to DF article) but I'm very sensible to those things, believe me, from I have seen TLoU hides very well its problems.

StuBurns

Banned
Can I give a suggestion to you? Try to yourself & stop to believe to the others. I have played only the demo, I haven't noticed fps dips (it dips a lot looking to DF article) but I'm very sensible to those things, believe me, from I have seen TLoU masked very well those problems.
I don't know what that post means, at all.

Yeah, I was guessing that a defective systeme might be the reason. Let me just call Sony and tell them to repair it so that it runs TLOU with a consistent framerate. Oh, I'll shoot Digital Foundry a message too, judging from their analysis they have the same problems too. So nice from you to let me know - I'll bet you have some insight regarding PS3 hardware, maybe you are even an engineer?

Okay cool. It sucks you cant play the game but its good that you get it addressed now. Hopefully you get your system back quickly....

The game should run better, and it should look better too, basically, it should be on PS4.

You could say that about any game being released this year. Hell, this isn't even coinciding with the PS4's launch like other big PS3 exclusives releasing later this year. GT6 should be on PS4 for all kinds of reasons. This? No. I'd rather play it now because I still have 5 months to kill until the PS4 is released, thank you very much.

One of the small touches that I LOVE is sometimes Ellie will come over to Joel when they are crouching/hiding behind something and she'll get in between Joel and the cover. Like she's so scared she wants Joel to be all around her to protect her.

Well, I thought it was cute! :p

Got the Survival Edition yesterday, and put 6 hours into the game. I'm loving it so much. The characters, the graphics, everything. Bless Naughty Dog for putting out such an amazing game. Gonna play some more later on today. So far it's definitely my personal Game of the Year. :)

Vally

I'm about 10 hours into the game, loving it so far. Playing on hard without listen mode, and trying to go at a very slow pace, exploring everything and reading every note. I'm at the part right after
the hotel section that was shown at E3 last year
, I guess I'm halfway through the game.

Some impressions:

- The intro is quite powerful.
Very few games manage to get you attached to the characters in so little time. What I didn't expect was Sarah getting killed by a normal person instead of a infected one. Voice acting is great as well. Also the attention to details is amazing from the very beginning, I think I spent about 5 minutes just checking everything out in the first room (photos, posters, books, reading the birthday card...)

- The influence of Children of Men is clear, everything reminds me so much of that movie (the writings on the walls, the
'this girl is very important and you must smuggle her out of the city'
, etc)

- (Spoilers about enemy types) I knew I would hate the
Stalkers
as soon as I read that note describing the different stages of the infected... they're creepy enough by themselves, and even worse when they're coupled with
Bloaters. I don't like the latter too much, throwing balls of spores towards you feels too videogamey and clash a little with the 'realism' of the rest of the game.

- I don't care what Naughty Dog says; there are times when this is a straight up survival horror game as far as I'm concerned. The amazing sound design helps a lot. I'm too much of a pussy for these kind of games, so the part where I am right now made me go 'umm yeah... I think I'll stop playing for now' lol, I didn't expect that to happen to me with a ND game.

- The framerate drops don't bother me, but there are some areas where apparently there isn't so much going on in the screen and I can't help but think that the framerate should be higher.

- I like the multiplayer a lot. It requires a bit of strategy and it can be either very satisfying or very frustrating depending on whether your teammates play the game the way it's meant to be played. The 12 weeks progression is a nice touch and it encourages you to keep playing multiplayer.

One of the small touches that I LOVE is sometimes Ellie will come over to Joel when they are crouching/hiding behind something and she'll get in between Joel and the cover. Like she's so scared she wants Joel to be all around her to protect her.

Well, I thought it was cute! :p

Yeah, that's great.
But let's keep making sarcastic posts about frame-rate, they make the thread so much more enjoyable.

StuBurns

Banned
You could say that about any game being released this year. Hell, this isn't even coinciding with the PS4's launch like other big PS3 exclusives releasing later this year. GT6 should be on PS4 for all kinds of reasons. This? No. I'd rather play it now because I still have 5 months to kill until the PS4 is released, thank you very much.
You could say it about any game, yes, but this game runs worse, and has worse image quality than UC2, it's clearly beyond the realms of the PS3 to run to the standard of UC2, and that was years ago.

This game is basically Children of Men the game, with zombies...

That's not a bad thing at all. :)

Yeah.

This is the way I took it. If they'd said that rather than The Road, and No Country for Old Men, I'd have understood even better.

Probably my favourite film of all time, despite some issues.

Top Bottom