• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

DatDude

Banned
Does anyone want to start a twitter campaign kindly asking naughty dog/sony for a ps4 hd edition?

I feel like this game will sell alot of copies (1.3 mill in first week), and a ps4 edition might be sort of on there radars already. I feel if they see a big demand from fans for a ps4 goty edition of sorts they might go ahead with it?

I don't know. All I do know though is this game NEEDS a ps4 edition.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Put me in the 13 and change club.
But that's a perfect game length right there.
Uncharted games never too me longer than 8.5 hours, damn
I love you naughty dog.

Oh, Anyone else putting those naughty dog stickers in their car? Doing it tomorrow morning lol.
Best devs ever.

I got into a melee brawl with someone on a flight of stairs and Joel actually grabbed him and threw him down them. Pretty hilarious.

They did a fantastic job on the contextual animations here. UC3 was bad with them, and going back to play it after this will only make them stick out worse.

I did a Sparta kick on one enemy once.

We were brawling near some stairs and then Joel just booted him in the chest, Guy hit the railing, tumbled down, didn't get back up

Never happened again and I never saw Joel throw someone down stairs. ND did an awesome job with the contextual melee

Awww snap, we sharing fight stories?

In a convenience store after a certain major event, I got flanked which forced me to run out the side of the store and regroup. As I turn around and duck, all I see is Ellie in mid-throw as a brick hits the guy that was chasing me, and I finish him off by crushing his head against the wall with a sprinting 2x4 melee attack. Afterwards I go back into the store and attempt to hop over what I assumed was a small object only to end up standing ON TOP of it. An enemy rushes me and PULLS ME BY MY LEG off the thing, he swings his pipe at me, I block it with the 2x4, and beat him to death. I take his pipe and hop over the counter to regroup once again only to see and enemy rushing RIGHT at me. I hop back over the counter to prepare for battle at the same time he gets on top of the counter. By the time I spun around and swung the pipe, I ended up hitting him right in the knees, he trips off the table, gets up and goes around the counter only to meet #TEAMBRICK with a 1 hit KO.

I wanted to reload the checkpoint to see what else could happen, but it would never top the spontaneity and intensity of that encounter.

nope. no disconnection problems. Even when people leave it usually replaces them pretty fast. I guess I am just lucky.

No offense, but that's bad news for me :(

:p

Looking more and more like its my PS3 that has the issue. Internet has run without a hitch on the laptop all day, but I've been getting signed out of PSN sporadically and kicked out of matches constantly. Oh well.

Manu

Ugh, why did someone have to mention
"Winter, the unexpected twist,
yadda yadda..."?

Now I'm going to play the game expecting
a twist to happen
. FUCK.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My favorite gameplay moment in this game was in (midway location spoilers, nothing plot related.
the hotel basement

I tried to sneak around the Bloater and accidentally alarmed it and a handful of other infected. I took down the Bloater and all but one infected with my hunting rifle. As I reloaded my last shot, a Clicker came out of nowhere. At the very last second, I got the rifle loaded and capped the Clicker. My heart was thudding. So damn intense.

Moment to moment combat in this game is absolutely incredible.

In a convenience store after a certain major event, I got flanked which forced me to run out the side of the store and regroup. As I turn around and duck, all I see is Ellie in mid-throw as a brick hits the guy that was chasing me, and I finish him off by crushing his head against the wall with a sprinting 2x4 melee attack. Afterwards I go back into the store and attempt to hop over what I assumed was a small object only to end up standing ON TOP of it. An enemy rushes me and PULLS ME BY MY LEG off the thing, he swings his pipe at me, I block it with the 2x4, and beat him to death. I take his pipe and hop over the counter to regroup once again only to see and enemy rushing RIGHT at me. I hop back over the counter to prepare for battle at the same time he gets on top of the counter. By the time I spun around and swung the pipe, I ended up hitting him right in the knees, he trips off the table, gets up and goes around the counter only to meet #TEAMBRICK with a 1 hit KO.

I wanted to reload the checkpoint to see what else could happen, but it would never top the spontaneity and intensity of that encounter.
he swings his pipe at me, I block it with the 2x4,
You can block a melee attack with a weapon?! How?

And I think I figured out how my gun was getting knocked out of my hands. If you're aiming and an enemy melees you, I think there's a chance that you get disarmed. Happened to me twice

Ugh, why did someone have to mention
"Winter, the unexpected twist,
yadda yadda..."?

Now I'm going to play the game expecting
a twist to happen
. FUCK.

It's not a traditional kind of
twist
don't worry. Everything will still sink in nicely ;)

It's a context sensitive "triangle" prompt that occurs when you and someone else with a melee weapon go head to head. It's happened twice in 13 hours, once during that encounter, and once in
the Hotel E3 demo area.

And I think I figured out how my gun was getting knocked out of my hands. If you're aiming and an enemy melees you, I think there's a chance that you get disarmed. Happened to me twice

I imagine its a matter of melee attacks just happening to meet in mid air

edit: or not, didn;t have a clue that you could block melee attacks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

haha, that's great. Didn't realize you could block either.

I had another cool moment in my last segment, more later game stuff but basically there are two melee enemies rushing at me once I leave a room, I sprint backwards where I came from for more space, and in a completely unscripted moment as I turned around, I see the first guy run into the room and ellie, who was crouched by the doorway, leaps on the guy's back and actually grabs around his neck while he struggles to pull her off and jabs a shiv in his neck. I pick up his newly dropped hatchet, crouch by the doorway waiting for the second guy, and right as he slowly peeks his head in I jam it into his skull.

NJShadow

Okay so I'm 58% through the game in the
Sewers

Enemy question:
I'm at the part where I'm split up with the other kid. There's a huge room with some clickers and other guys. Well these other guys are like the best of both worlds. It seems they can see me AND they can hear me unless I'm going super slow. Do the enemies stay this way from now on? Because it seems I have to either be in the perfect spot to jump them around a corner, or I'm going to have to deal with it and fight these guys...

I had to go guns a' blazin' and fight em'. You can dispose of them fairly quickly with some shotgun blasts and hand-to-hand.

Does anyone want to start a twitter campaign kindly asking naughty dog/sony for a ps4 hd edition?

I feel like this game will sell alot of copies (1.3 mill in first week), and a ps4 edition might be sort of on there radars already. I feel if they see a big demand from fans for a ps4 goty edition of sorts they might go ahead with it?

Yes ND seriously needs to throw this on the PS4. 1080P/60fps if possible with all the beauty touch ups. Aggresive anti aliasing, farther draw distance etc.

WHOA! that sounded crazy!

Ok check this out...found these moments on the official forum. A testament to the amazing AI

The first example was when i got in the "E3 area", after i finished the majority of the enemies there was only one gas-mask wearing guy left (i could tell because his voice sounded muffled) anyways, i was left with really low life and no health-pack, about 3 bullets on my revolver and every other weapon was empty

I knew there must have been at least 1-2 people left, so i was moving very carefully between rooms, checking every corner when suddenly i hear from a couple rooms away this guy saying something allong the lines of " hey, allright man im coming out, im unarmed so dont shoot me, we can talk about this"
He didnt knew exactly where i was but neither did i, but i actually believed him for some reason (i guess i was curious?) so i popped out from my hiding place and went to where his sound came from.

I reach the main hall and i see him nervously trying to look into rooms whille keeping his distance from them, i take a couple steps towards him and he suddenly turns at me ( i must have made a noise and surprised him 'cuz he gasped when he saw me)

Next thing i know, he throws a f***ing molotov he was holding all this time(!) at me, there was some distance between me and him so i actually had time to react and pressed circle, Joel crouched and the molotov flew above my head!!

The guy shouts "sh*t!!" probably 'cuz he missed, while i aim at him and unload all 3 bullets, basically the whole thing happened in seconds, there was no time to think about this i just reacted

probably the reason i remember this encounter so clearly is because it happened so seamlessly, so fast, it really made a big impression to me

The 2nd example is anyways there's a building in the area with stairs, it's the first building on the right and long story short i entered that building whille running away from the hunters, i was low on health yet again ( Survivor mode too strong ) and as i go down the stairs i see this guy with an iron pipe pop up in front of me.

Before i even have time to actually aim my shotgun at him, he grabs my foot and pulls me which makes Joel land with his back on the stairs and without leaving me any room to react, he jumps on top of Joel and finishes me with one smash on the head!
I cant even tell how surprised i was when that happened, did not see it coming at all!!

( i noticed enemies in Survivor really start to panic the less of them they remain, like if you manage to kill most of them and only 1-2 guys remain they will move very cautiously and check every corner, turn around to check their backs etc, there was this instance where the last guy spotted me and he just started running, i must have been chasing him for about 2-3 minutes before i finally cornered him and shot his head clean XD in general they do seem to become more self preserving)

Manu

I had to go guns a' blazin' and fight em'. You can dispose of them fairly quickly with some shotgun blasts and hand-to-hand.

What I did in that part was focusing on aiming only at the clickers and let the runners come at me. When the runners got me I mashed square to push them away, if you press L1 right after pushing them Joel will aim directly at their heads. Boom, instant headshot and barely a scratch. Rinse, repeat.

Just beat the game in 13:25 on Normal, and that's with dying 50 times and going out of my way to explore corners (got 92 collectibles) and staring at vistas. I'm not even good and am seriously confused as to how it can take you guys 5 more hours. I mean take your time, play it however you enjoy it... I just don't get these numbers. Are you playing on higher difficulties or just staring even harder at vistas?

I'm one of those people who beat the game at around 24 hours - on Hard without using Listen Mode. When I explore, I do it very slowly, oftentimes looking at the pictures and writing on the walls before moving on. So much time and effort was put into crafting each building and each room (which sometimes tells a story of their own), so I stopped to appreciate it. Often.

Plus, I stealthed for... I'd say 90% of the game and that always makes encounters go much slower, and I'd restart them sometimes if I was caught too early in the encounters. I'd usually sit in a spot, monitoring the surroundings, watching enemy path patterns before making my move.

For comparison, it took me 26 hours to beat Bioshock Infinite, so.. yeah, I'm very slow. :p

It's a context sensitive "triangle" prompt that occurs when you and someone else with a melee weapon go head to head. It's happened twice in 13 hours, once during that encounter, and once in
the Hotel E3 demo area.

Proof you can achieve "cinematic gameplay" without relying on rigidly scripted moments. That was one of my favorite fights btw. The music was perfect.

I think the funniest moment for me was in that convenience store. Low ass health, can't take another hit. I was crouching behind a shelf, and I'm slowly creeping forward to the front. There's a gap in-between the shelves, and I can see this other guy is also slowly creeping to the front right alongside with me. I'm thinking, "fuck it, I can walk back around and try to creep up on this mothafucka", but the other side I was thinking, "Nah, fuck that, PUNCH THIS DUDE IN THE THROAT". Both come around the corner at the same time, I swear I hit the melee button, dude grabs me, I'm like "FUCK!", Ellie stabs the shit out of him in the back, I rush him, bash his head against the shelf.

Ellie <3

DukeBobby

Just beat the game in 13:25 on Normal, and that's with dying 50 times and going out of my way to explore corners (got 92 collectibles) and staring at vistas. I'm not even good and am seriously confused as to how it can take you guys 5 more hours. I mean take your time, play it however you enjoy it... I just don't get these numbers. Are you playing on higher difficulties or just staring even harder at vistas?

Or more likely, are you leaving the game unpaused while typing on GAF...

You obviously didn't explore every corner if you only managed to get 92 collectibles. I think there are 141 collectibles in the game. In my 21 hour playthrough, I collected 130, and was only missing 1 artifact, 1 comic, and several firefly pendants. Those things are pretty hard to find, as some of them are hanging from trees.

With this being a Naughty Dog game, I should have expected they'd do that. Always hated when you had to shoot collectibles off walls in the Uncharted games.

haha, that's great. Didn't realize you could block either.

I had another cool moment in my last segment, more later game stuff but basically there are two melee enemies rushing at me once I leave a room, I sprint backwards where I came from for more space, and in a completely unscripted moment as I turned around, I see the first guy run into the room and ellie, who was crouched by the doorway, leaps on the guy's back and actually grabs around his neck while he struggles to pull her off and jabs a shiv in his neck. I pick up his newly dropped hatchet, crouch by the doorway waiting for the second guy, and right as he slowly peeks his head in I jam it into his skull.

Hell yeah, gets me excited just reading it. Ellie jumping into the fight is the ultimate "father proud of his kid" kind of moment. That shiv in the neck move has saved me from certain death twice. ELLIE DA GOD.

Another moment of hilarity only this game could do: Me vs 3 humans, 1 with a revolver, 1 with a melee weapon, 1 bare handed. I'm already on the run because I screwed up stealth and was being flanked, and instinctively go into a building and up the stairs to the 2nd floor. "HE WENT UPSTAIRS, GET HIM!" I hear one of these mooks yell. I start crafting smoke bombs and nail bombs in preparation, and right in the middle of the nail bomb Ellie whispers "He's right in front of you." OH GOD, I exit the crafting menu, pull out a shotgun with 1 shell in it...BOOM HEADSHO- at that exact moment I get put in a choke hold from behind. I never noticed there was a door behind me. Mashed the square button to escape, and as soon as I do, a molotov explodes near the stairs as 2 more enemies come up. Where did this new guy come from, I thought there were only 3 of them. I pick up the guy who tried to choke me and used him as a human shield. As I take a second to line up my headshot, I press R1 aaaaaaand.....*click*. No bullets in my revolver. They hear the "click" and start advancing, I KO the enemy in my hands with the butt of the gun, SPRINT towards a guy in full armored gear and basically clothesline his face off with a pipe then jump over the railing back to the 1st floor, and get out of the building to deal with my inventory.

The mini-stalemate and tension as I was lining up the headshot broken with what was the worst sound I'd want to hear come out of the revolver....Priceless.

Papercuts

Hell yeah, gets me excited just reading it. Ellie jumping into the fight is the ultimate "father proud of his kid" kind of moment. That shiv in the neck move has saved me from certain death twice. ELLIE DA GOD.

Another moment of hilarity only this game could do: Me vs 3 humans, 1 with a revolver, 1 with a melee weapon, 1 bare handed. I'm already on the run because I screwed up stealth and was being flanked, and instinctively go into a building and up the stairs to the 2nd floor. "HE WENT UPSTAIRS, GET HIM!" I hear one of these mooks yell. I start crafting smoke bombs and nail bombs in preparation, and right in the middle of the nail bomb Ellie whispers "He's right in front of you." OH GOD, I exit the crafting menu, pull out a shotgun with 1 shell in it...BOOM HEADSHO- at that exact moment I get put in a choke hold from behind. I never noticed there was a door behind me. Mashed the square button to escape, and as soon as I do, a molotov explodes near the stairs as 2 more enemies come up. Where did this new guy come from, I thought there were only 4 of them. I pick up the guy who tried to choke me and used him as a human shield. As I take a second to line up my headshot, I press R1 aaaaaaand.....*click*. No bullets in my revolver. They hear the "click" and start advancing, I KO the enemy in my hands with the butt of the gun, SPRINT towards a guy in full armored gear and basically clothesline his face off with a pipe then jump over the railing back to the 1st floor, and get out of the building to deal with my inventory.

The mini-stalemate and tension as I was lining up the headshot broken with what was the worst sound I'd want to hear come out of the revolver....Priceless.

I'm so glad this isn't one of those games that automatically swaps out guns when ammo drains out for moments like this.

Sean

Banned
Anyone have tips for getting through
end of the sewers (when the group gets split up and there's tons of Infected)
on Survival mode?

Getting my ass handed to me over and over. Have no nail bombs, no molotovs, no health packs, one shiv. I tried running to the ladder but it's not letting me press triangle until I kill everyone it seems. Argh, was breezing through the levels and this part makes me wanna break a controller.

Animal

Banned
The people in this thread complaining about AI are only citing companion examples.

The enemy AI in this game is impressive in Hard mode.

Given the innumerable ways one can hide behind all the vertical surfaces in a given area and the timing nature of sneaking I am fairly certain that Naughty Dog decided to remove the companions from the eyesight detection of enemies.

It is obvious that there is logic for the companions to follow and hide themselves from enemies just by watching them move and it works quite well 90% of the time for what I can see. Admittedly issues arise when they get in our way and can lead to a frustrating game play experience for less patient players (aka all gamers ever) that don't act like they would in real life if they were in such a situation.

TLDR: I bet naughty dog turned off enemy detection of companions just to not piss people off too much. The AI is absolutely not shitty.

Eusis

Eugh, rented it with the other free Redbox code again, and that
basement, that damn basement
... I watched a video, but I still don't think I have the nerve to do it. :(

GulAtiCa

I think a huge sequel of some sorts for the PS4 would be even better. :)

Grisby

Beat it. I don't know how I feel about the ending.

Goddamn, what a game though. Story bits were all pretty good and Ellie is by far the best AI companion since Alyx. VA and scripting stuff was top notch. Troy Baker should win something for his voice direction with Joel.

But on to the stuff that really matters man, the gameplay. I loved how much the game focused on stealth and ammo saving. Never felt too frustrated either. Sure, you could end up with Dishonored/Splinter Cell piles of bodies but it was still fun tracking them down. I'm such a pack rat and I know I made a lot of the combat harder for myself by using bricks (the best weapon) and choke holds.

I've played so many third-person shooters and the Last of Us nailed the feeling of intimate combat. Each bullet to the head or machete to the chest felt and looked awesome. You always see the life and death struggle when you choked a guy out. Also, if I died I couldn't wait to try something new ala Halo.

Game's not perfect yet my complaints with it are mostly all minor. I wish Joel would have been a little bit faster outside of combat just to make searching for collectibles a bit quicker. Cover could have been handled better. I got used to it near the end but I still felt it was clunky. AI was good but there were a lot of points where I'd see them get stuck in a running loop or crowd together too much. Ellie almost got me killed a couple of times because she would block a doorway or something.

Oh, and on the graphics side the framerate was pretty spotty in a lot of places. Had some glitches too where I'd stab a guy and he 'd disappear only to reappear and be invincible.

Some personal highlights:
1) Loved all of Ellie's animation bits. This included combat stuff like chunking a brick at a dude or stabbing him in the back when he had a grapple on me.
2) Speaking of which (winter spoilers yo, pretty much the whole season)
how awesome was it to play as Ellie for long periods of time? You couldn't attack dudes directly and her kill animations were gnarly. That boss fight with David was crazy intense.
3) Good encounters for the most part. I loved the bookstore deal, e3 demo area, and the end level especially. Clicker encounters were appropriately unnerving and whenever I got tired of them ND would change it up with some humans.
4) Lots of varied locales with some beautiful lighting to go with it.
5) So many unique art assets. Was in a room and there was nothing to scavenge but it was still a beautiful room.
6) I just want to reiterate that guns felt like a big deal in this world. Flinging a Molotov Cocktail never felt or looked so good.

Damn good game Naughty Dog. A true return to form after the disappointing Uncharted 3 for me. Top of the list stuff for sure.

Cudder

Actually really loving the multiplayer. The slower paced, methodical gameplay transfers over from single player pretty well, and it's a welcome break from all of the fast twitchy shooters I've played recently.

Amir0x

Banned

I am on board. I've never felt a PS3 game more desparately needed a PS4 edition than this. I practically see Steam rushing off my console whenever I play it from every place bursting at the seams

The Lamp

Does anyone know if the multiplayer in the game can be played with a friend locally? Like you and a buddy on the couch in an 8-person online match?

I am on board. I've never felt a PS3 game more desparately needed a PS4 edition than this. I practically see Steam rushing off my console whenever I play it from every place bursting at the seams

My PS3 is gasping for air when I pause the game. Fans at mach 5.

When the game is PAUSED, bruh.

Last of Us pls. Don't kill it before GTAV

Papercuts

I don't have much tech knowledge on this stuff, but would the difference in structure for the PS3 make porting it to the PS4 hard or is the power difference enough to allow for a gap of brute forcing it?

The best thing is when you run out of ammo, dudes will run up on you and you knock 'em with the butt of your revolver.

I love it. though one of my very few animation qualms is that when you melee with a gun it goes to fists after a hit or two, I have a hunger for death via repeated shotgun bashing.

Dibbz

Speaking of cinematic moments I recorded my entire play through and some awesome stuff happened. Here is one that really stuck out to me. There are no spoilers so it should be ok to post but if not let me know and I'll just put the link there instead.

Thought I had cleared the area only to have Ellie shout "Behind you!". Pulled the trigger but it didn't matter lol.

i6rIwVXMMq3w5.gif

Setre

Finished the game at 16 hours and so many minutes. Really enjoyed it and it's now my favorite Naughty Dog game. I can't wait to see what they do with the PS4.

I'd actually love to see them do an open world western game like Red Dead Redemption or a game where you play an assassin. The Last of Us pretty much proved to me they could handle any genre or setting they want too.

My PS3 is gasping for air when I pause the game. Fans at mach 5.

When the game is PAUSED, bruh.

Last of Us pls. Don't kill it before GTAV

There's this one absolutely gorgeous area late in the game, just stunning. I think the sound of the PS3 fan was about as loud as the dialog.

60gb fatty aint about this life

The Lamp

Also, the AI in this game is about as far as shitty as you can get. It is insanely intelligent from a stealth and cover-shooter perspective. They always try to team up and flank you/sneak up on you. I've even had enemies choke me while another guy tries to land hits on me. Although sometimes the companion AI has trouble finding somewhere to find cover, they are always following you and smartly hiding behind cover and away from lines of sight whenever possible. So yeah, there are slight mess-ups here and there, but AI has never been this good for me to begin with, and I play all sorts of action and stealth games.

I remember I accidentally disturbed a pack of clickers and then got away by heading into a different room...everything went silent but their patrol routes changed to where they eventually just all came into the room I was in even though I wasn't moving. So even the zombies have a way of being smart. They also dodge bullets as you aim at them.

It's really quite impressive to me. The enemy AI is what makes each combat scenario fresh. They react on the fly. They also seem more sensitive to sight and sound than your typical enemies in a stealth game like Metal Gear Solid. I've never felt more pressure to be quiet and careful around enemies than in here.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Does anyone know if the multiplayer in the game can be played with a friend locally? Like you and a buddy on the couch in an 8-person online match?

I'm afraid not. The game already staggers rendering one screen, so split screen probably wasn't an option.

menacin

Banned
Speaking of cinematic moments I recorded my entire play through and some awesome stuff happened. Here is one that really stuck out to me. There are no spoilers so it should be ok to post but if not let me know and I'll just put the link there instead.

Thought I had cleared the area only to have Ellie shout "Behind you!". Pulled the trigger but it didn't matter lol.

i6rIwVXMMq3w5.gif

i wonder if its possible to crouch dodge that.

AniHawk

about 45% of the way through.
standing in front of a generator in a flooded basement.

fuck you naughty dog. i don't have to take this shit.

http://i.minus.com/i6rIwVXMMq3w5.gif

God this is amazing, I can't stop watching. The Last of Us combat in a nutshell.

There's this one absolutely gorgeous area late in the game, just stunning. I think the sound of the PS3 fan was about as loud as the dialog.

60gb fatty aint about this life

80 gig fatty over here. From '09 I think.

I have a feeling I'm going to want to play TLoU tomorrow and it's just gonna spit the disc back out at me. It's too much for him, poor thing.

GDDR5 SAVE ME

i wonder if its possible to crouch dodge that.

I've definitely had an enemy whiff when I crouched.

Andrew.

Banned

The game has been out for less than a week. It took them three and half years to make. Why don't you give it a rest before you start getting up their ass. Give them a fucking break. They've made basically the game of the generation. Give them some air to breathe for christs sake.

You didn't even buy the game right? Didn't you just stalk out redbox? Endless praise for a company which you gave no money towards.

Papercuts

I'm surprised this game doesn't have some type of horde mode. Seems like a missed opportunity for an MP mode, as it would suit this game very well.

Also, the AI in this game is about as far as shitty as you can get. It is insanely intelligent from a stealth and cover-shooter perspective. They always try to team up and flank you/sneak up on you. I've even had enemies choke me while another guy tries to land hits on me. Although sometimes the companion AI has trouble finding somewhere to find cover, they are always following you and smartly hiding behind cover and away from lines of sight whenever possible.

I remember I accidentally disturbed a pack of clickers and then got away by heading into a different room...everything went silent but their patrol routes changed to where they eventually just all came into the room I was in even though I wasn't moving. So even the zombies have a way of being smart. They also dodge bullets as you aim at them.

It's really quite impressive to me. The enemy AI is what makes each combat scenario fresh. They react on the fly. They also seem more sensitive to sight and sound than your typical enemies in a stealth game like Metal Gear Solid. I've never felt more pressure to be quiet and careful around enemies than in here.

I like how they act while in combat/in the "where the fuck did he go" mode, but the pure unalert AI is dumb as rocks. Stood out the most throughout pittsburgh, a whole lot of hiding in spots where Joel's head was visible but out of technical line of sight, choke outs being loud while a guy is right next by, crouch walking right by people and hearing that noise build up but go away when you go behind something again, visibly seeing a bottle fly out of a spot in cover but still going to check out the noise it creates, stuff like that.

There weren't many segments like this atleast.

about 45% of the way through.
standing in front of a generator in a flooded basement.

fuck you naughty dog. i don't have to take this shit.

That's the point where I stopped playing and left it on pause for about 30 minutes while I worked up the courage to continue. I almost quit because I don't do scary in games but I pushed through and I'm glad I did.

Top Bottom