• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

LiK

The framerate is rough at times, there are jaggies all over the places, visual glitches all the time, etc. I think the game has superlative artistic direction but the overall quality is definitely being obfuscated by the aged PS3 hardware and there is no doubt it is NOT ludicrous to point those visual issues out.

ND games on PS4 are gonna be so incredible....

1cmanny1

It is ludicrous when you expect it to be a PC quality. It looks just as good as ND's previous titles, people are just moaning because they have been playing tombraider etc.

DatDude

Banned
Kinda ridiculous - scratch that - ludicrous that there have been complains regarding this game's visuals. The beginning of FALL is one of the nicest things I've seen in gaming all year. The trees, the rocks, Joel's wet hair, his shirt; it's so muted, yet so beautiful.

fuck fall, winter is where it's at.

The framerate is rough at times, there are jaggies all over the places, visual glitches all the time, etc. I think the game has superlative artistic direction but the overall quality is definitely being obfuscated by the aged PS3 hardware and there is no doubt it is NOT ludicrous to point those visual issues out.

Point taken. Though, my experience has been fairly hiccup free, even in terms of the frame rate. YMMV, I guess.

Another Earthbound fan, we're starting to go places now. Like, in what ways does one of Earthbound's central themes of the importance of any adventure being about the journey itself and not the destination mirror the theme's of TLoU? It might make an interesting topic of conversation!

Its ludicrous to point them out when its well above anything else on current gen consoles. And the closest competitors are running at sub-720p (Crysis 3, Metro)

The game is pushing the limitations of the hardware, you can't expect perfection in an environment where its impossible to achieve.

Amir0x

Banned
ND games on PS4 are gonna be so incredible....

I don't think my heart can take the visual mastery

Point taken. Though, my experience has been fairly hiccup free, even in terms of the frame rate. YMMV, I guess.

Don't worry, I agree it's a magnificent game to look at though because the art direction is peerless. No other game matches the sheer effort put into building this game's locations.

There's some really amazing use of lighting at times too, very natural looking. There's this one simple room in Pittsburgh, I doubt you'd even remember it, has a little staircase with plant life breaking through a crack against the ceiling, and it has some of the most beautiful foliage and lighting I've seen on consoles the entire gen.

Chuck Norris said:
The game is pushing the limitations of the hardware, you can't expect perfection in an environment where its impossible to achieve.

That's a problem with the intent of the developers, not a problem with the criticism itself. Those visual issues exist no matter why they exist.

LiK

one gripe i had with the game is that Boston isn't 100% accurate. many prominent skyscrapers are missing and the layout is a bit odd. but i guess i can't have it all.

Amir0x

Banned
one gripe i had with the game is that Boston isn't 100% accurate. many prominent skyscrapers are missing and the layout is a bit odd. but i guess i can't have it all.

think of it this way: they probably collapsed.
If you look at the Skyline, you can see a building collapsed against another one, so just imagine it's true of the other missing ones too lol

LiK

think of it this way: they probably collapsed.
If you look at the Skyline, you can see a building collapsed against another one, so just imagine it's true of the other missing ones too lol

i wish, but they don't look like them. ah well, at least the Zakam Bridge was there. i was glad to see that.

So I just got to the kitchen/cafeteria in the hotel.
Just past the bloater in the basement
. Apparently some hunters are supposed to spawn here and... they're not. Just an empty fucking room with no way out, and restarting puts me in the same room. Has this happened to anyone else? I didn't search the thread but saw no hits about it on google.

I may have to restart Pittsburgh and I am not a happy camper.

Edit: Nevermind, a ladder in the empty room just spawned after reloading a number of times! Onwards and upwards!

Prologue

First single player game in a long time that I wouldn't mind playing again and plan on doing so. Only other games I played multiple times were the ME games.

I'd love to give props to Naughty Dog about their AI system. Is it perfect? No. I'm sure most of us have run into a glitch or two - but I can forgive that when the AI is as ambitious and forward thinking as this game

Firstly, the blend of stealth and action. No other game has executed it this well. Naughty Dog has cleverly disguised the typical alert and search patterns of a stealth game right into the voices and body language of the enemies, no longer do we need a gigantic timer telling us when the alert stage will be over - the enemies lose sight of you, and they start searching. They execute smart searching patterns that pressure the player into choices but are also predictable enough that they allow smart strategy to be employed, they are manipulatable as any stealth game enemies should be (with distractions and such) without it feeling unnatural.

When the alert stage is activated (Through being seen or engaging in action) the enemies don't just create pressure and a feeling of a real gun-fight, they also react as you would expect humans to. And that is where the game shines. The combination of AI and animation made it always seem as though I was fighting real enemies, and every choice I made had consequences. The enemies usually made the right choice in terms of taking cover, moving up and attacking. Braver in numbers, and when numbers dwindled against their favour, you could feel the tension shift and the enemies become afraid and emotional - sometimes retreating. In combination with a really visceral shooting and combat experience, I had some of the most intense shootouts in any game

The AI of the cordyceps deserve props for their design, more than their dynamic nature. They were extremely predictable, but this created very fun gameplay scenarios where the player was forced to think tactically. For instance, utilising silent weaponry specifically on runners who can see you and cause an alert, while choosing to use distractions to get around clickers. A really well thought out dynamic there that gave the cordycep's sections their own gameplay flavour

Overall, Naughty Dog did a superb job. As with any AI, there seems to be bugs. But its clearly an ambitious and really thoughtful AI system that the Dogs deserve props for attempting

For anyone who has the game on hand right now, please boot it up, find the nearest set of stairs and R2 sprint down them backwards. It's like turning on Benny Hill mode. It's really quite weird and hilarious (and a bit jarring).

antitrop

antitrop plus Leenees... and me. Three hardcore Earthbound fans. All is right in the world.
There were definitely periods in my life where I considered EarthBound the greatest game of all time. After years of thought it does sit comfortably in third place behind FF7 and Chrono Trigger now, and if I reeeaaaally thought about it I could probably justify CT over 7 for #1, but the experience I had playing 7 for the first time was a life-changing event.

antitrop

never played Earthbound. that will change when it comes out on VC this year.

Whenever I read something like this it always blows my mind, because it's one of those games that all hardcore gamers should play.

And then I remember that I've never played Super Metroid, despite owning an operational SNES and the cart itself.

Amir0x

Banned
For anyone who has the game on hand right now, please boot it up, find the nearest set of stairs and R2 sprint down them backwards. It's like turning on Benny Hill mode. It's really quite weird and hilarious (and a bit jarring).

*loads it up*

I'll be back with my impressions of this hilarious thing!

LiK

Whenever I read something like this it always blows my mind, because it's one of those games that all hardcore gamers should play.

And then I remember that I've never played Super Metroid, despite owning an operational SNES and the cart itself.

never could buy it for the right price cuz of the rarity. i was close to playing the ROM but the VC announcement changed that for me.

RedSwirl

It is ludicrous when you expect it to be a PC quality. It looks just as good as ND's previous titles, people are just moaning because they have been playing tombraider etc.

I am comparing it to ND's previous titles, and I still think ND's engine peaked at Uncharted 2 and has been on a plateau ever since. UC3 and TLOU look just as good most of the time, but I think the engine in TLOU overreaches a lot of the time. There are parts where it has to make clear sacrifices in things like texture quality and frame rate, especially in outdoor areas. Those sacrifices didn't really occur in UC2.

I completed my Hard+ playthrough tonight. I think it's awesome that the tense moments are still as tense as they were when in the first playthrough. Also, it's crazy how difficult finding things is in this game. I completed my second playthrough, thinking I had everything, but I did not. Thank goodness chapter select tells me where things are. I'm going to push through a Survivor+ playthrough sometime soon. I can't wait to see how that is going to go. I'm fulling expecting the tense moments to be even more tense. I'm quite excited.

putarorex

I've put about 7 hours into this and I am really loving it. I have to take breaks though because it can get pretty intense. I usually horde things in these kinda games but I have forced to use my bullets pretty regularly. The encounters are fun and I am looking forward to seeing how they play out differently in another playthrough.

Just completed this on normal, listen mode off. 15 hours 48 mins. 98 collectibles.

What a ride! Wow...... now i can go the spoilers thread. Love this game. Thank you, Naughty God. A lot of possibilities of
expansions, sequels, prequels, etc.,,

Megasoum

Banned
Just finished it.... Amazing game.

Putting the documentary behind the season pass is the worst bullshit ever however... It's clear that they knew that nobody would give a shit about their multiplayer so they had to give more reasons for people to buy the pass....

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wasn't even close to ready. Probably my favorite scene in the entire game.
That was nowhere close to my favorite, but it was the first one that shocked me.
It's like Non-Stop Infinite Climax compared to Hard mode.
Only if you used Witch Time. I mean listen mode.'

I just started on Survivor and I just noticed this, in light of what I said about this:
I hear you, I kind of like it when you can be silly too- in the first bit of Summer though, there are small interactions to kind of make the world believable (a guard can headbutt Joel if he gets too close)... there's an extent to which I'd be wondering why they didn't just shoot me if you could run around like a maniac.
So, if you approach the guard more than once he does shoot and kill you, in the first moments of the game.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Putting the documentary behind the season pass is the worst bullshit ever however... It's clear that they knew that nobody would give a shit about their multiplayer so they had to give more reasons for people to buy the pass....

A lot of people are interested in the multiplayer, actually. It's like you're living in the 13th of June, when everyone thought the multiplayer would be poorly done.

element

I just finished. Such an amazing game. Easily Game of the Year, and really I can see The Last of Us becoming the game that is looked at as the turning point in interactive story development.

I applaude Sony for allowing Naughty Dog to create a game with such execution and lack of filler.

After finishing the game it is clear how much of an influence No Country for Old Men was on the story and progress team at Naughty Dog. Transitions, lack of filler, and character drive influences are quick to see. I don't want that to sound like a negative. It is great to see someone in games have the balls to create a game with those same philosophies.

Congrats to the team at Naughty Dog. You will win all the awards this year, and well deserved.

TheExodu5

Banned
Finished the game.

I've never played a game with such a perfect cast of characters and such a perfect story. The character development felt entirely natural...nothing felt forced. I don't think I've ever been this satisfied with a game's ending.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Having to play Survivor without the bonuses afforded by New Game Plus is pretty intentional, I think. I'm expecting a serious challenge.

gotta beat survivor normally first to unlock it in NG+

I know :(

Welp. That sucks

1203.gif

So was it clarified how you access the documentary?

Also, will the Sights and Sounds pack be released as DLC? I really want the soundtrack.

I think you can already buy the OST from PSN? I bought the digital version of TLOU and the OST was included. It's also available in iTunes and Spotify.

Fantastic soundtrack by the way.

Amir0x

Banned
Having to play Survivor without the bonuses afforded by New Game Plus is pretty intentional, I think. I'm expecting a serious challenge.

yeah yeah, but it just serves to illustrate why things like Survivor and Crushing mode should never be greyed out to start with to begin with. You have different difficulty modes for a reason, let the player choose what is right for him/her from ALL the options from the start :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yeah yeah, but it just serves to illustrate why things like Survivor and Crushing mode should never be greyed out to start with to begin with. You have different difficulty modes for a reason, let the player choose what is right for him/her from ALL the options from the start :)
Definitely agree, I'd have preferred to start that way

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I would have started the game on Survivor if I had the choice. I really hate greyed out difficulties but I guess ND are doing the thing they did with Uncharted. I'm still waiting for my Pulse headset so hopefully I'll have fun on Survivor since the audio design is pretty good.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
gotta beat survivor normally first to unlock it in NG+

I know :(
no you don't have to.start NG+ on what ever Difficulty you can.play the first chapter then quit .go to chapter select and play the first chapter again on survivor difficulty :))

Vire

Definitely agree, I'd have preferred to start that way

You would have preferred to start on Crushing? What the hell is wrong with you people. Crushing is the opposite of fun (Bullet sponge, cheap bullshit).

This is coming from someone who has beaten Gears of War on Insane and the Halo series on Legendary for fun.

Naughty Dog simply doesn't know how to balance the highest difficulty. Ever.

Top Bottom