• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Ashes

Banned
I just rented The Road. =/ Children of Men soon, too. I'm still trying to process the game after completion.

I haven't seen either before, but I'm going to watch The Road tonight.

Just read the book. It's very short, concise, and takes a couple of hours to read. This is the opening paragraph:

When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him. Nights dark beyond darkness and the days more gray each one than what had gone before. Like the onset of some cold glaucoma dimming away the world. His hand rose and fell softly with each precious breath. He pushed away the plastic tarpaulin and raised himself in the stinking robes and blankets and looked toward the east for any light but there was none. In the dream from which he'd wakened he had wandered in a cave where the child led him by the hand. Their light playing over the wet flowstone walls. Like pilgrims in a fable swallowed up and lost among the inward parts of some granitic beast. Deep stone flues where the water dripped and sang. Tolling in the silence the minutes of the earth and the hours and the days of it and the years without cease. Until they stood in a great stone room where lay a black and ancient lake. And on the far shore a creature that raised its dripping mouth from the rimstone pool and stared into the light with eyes dead white and sightless as the eggs of spiders. It swung its head low over the water as if to take the scent of what it could not see. Crouching there pale and naked and translucent, its alabaster bones cast up in shadow on the rocks behind it. Its bowels, its beating heart. The brain that pulsed in a dull glass bell. It swung its head from side to side and then gave out a low moan and turned and lurched away and loped soundlessly into the dark.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/oprahsbookclub/Read-an-Excerpt-from-The-Road-by-Cormac-McCarthy#ixzz2X06ZYpx5

ElRenoRaven

Can anyone confirm that you still get the documentary with the season pass even if you didn't buy it day one?

Good question cause I may pick it up.

Just played a bunch more tonight after a hectic week kept me from it. This game is amazing. The only complaint I really have is that sometimes getting the icons to pop up when trying to line up to boost someone or do something like that are very flakey and just don't wanna pop up sometimes. Other then that though I love this game and find that it's now the reigning choice for my GOTY this year so far. It's going to hard to beat I think too.

Just ordered these and am going to start a new game when I get them.

yEZrx3v.jpg

Lingitiz

You're not obligated to walk in any scene, you can press L2 and run, of course not sprinting, but that was probably a design decision to prevent players from crashing into a wall every time they wanted to go faster.

There's a ton of moments in the early hours where you can't run or even jog. Not a big deal, but its a bit annoying in replays. I do hate the walk-and-talk in a bunch of games though, Gears being the biggest offender.

Also, is it just me or does Naughty Dog love having you go through really sluggish parts where you hold a door/gate/garage open or boost someone over to a ledge? I'm guessing its for technical purposes to avoid load screens.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna end up finishing tonight I think :(

No...please don't end. :'(

You'll love it, Leenes, I promise!

There's a ton of moments in the early hours where you can't run or even jog. Not a big deal, but its a bit annoying in replays. I do hate the walk-and-talk in a bunch of games though, Gears being the biggest offender.

I see what you mean. They do it for story purposes, because it would be kinda awkward if they were running the whole time during those scenes. But I can see why you get annoyed, we want to play the game itself right now instead of just walking.

Also, is it just me or does Naughty Dog love having you go through really sluggish parts where you hold a door/gate/garage open or boost someone over to a ledge? I'm guessing its for technical purposes to avoid load screens.

That's probably for people to feel that the characters they're with actually do something in the game.

Lingitiz

I see what you mean. They do it for story purposes, because it would be kinda awkward if they were running the whole time during those scenes. But I can see why you get annoyed, we want to play the game itself right now instead of just walking.
Yeah I guess its different in third person games where you can see your character and it looks really stupid if they're doing really out of place things. For example, in Half Life 2 where Alyx (Whose actor also plays Marlene BTW!) shows you around the lab, you can be jumping around and doing all sorts of stupid things with the equipment.

I do prefer the ability to do what I want in those sequences, but I understand why third person games prefer to put those restrictions.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Anyone in here played the game with the Sony Pulse Wireless Headset? Am in for a treat?

Everyone in this thread who has experienced them as said they are excellent. I even looked online for prices but I'm not sure if I can justify the purchase atm as much as I want them.

Am I the only one who chooses to actually walk in this game? I don't know, I kind of like to immerse myself in the game even more by putting myself in Joel's shoes, and I'd probably walk more often than jog lol.

Well I have all the single player trophies now. Gonna start up multiplayer soon to see if I can get those.

Hopefully I won't hate it. I'm not usually a big fan of multiplayer; the only multiplayer I've really liked this gen has been Assassin's Creed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah I guess its different in third person games where you can see your character and it looks really stupid if they're doing really out of place things. For example, in Half Life 2 where Alyx (Whose actor also plays Marlene BTW!) shows you around the lab, you can be jumping around and doing all sorts of stupid things with the equipment.

I do prefer the ability to do what I want in those sequences, but I understand why third person games prefer to put those restrictions.
I hear you, I kind of like it when you can be silly too- in the first bit of Summer though, there are small interactions to kind of make the world believable (a guard can headbutt Joel if he gets too close)... there's an extent to which I'd be wondering why they didn't just shoot me if you could run around like a maniac.

RedSwirl

Done.

Honestly, overall, Uncharted 2 still edges this game out in my book. TLOU is overall a very well-designed game -- there's nothing really wrong with it, but for some reason for me it falls just shy of masterpiece-level. Between the two, UC2 is probably the game that I wanna go back to and replay the most.

TLOU probably has a better storyline with better characters. Its major achievement is that its gameplay manages to cut down the narrative dissonance quite a bit while also making for a deeper, more tactical experience. In this area, where UC2 edges out TLOU in my opinion is straight-up level design, which in my opinion felt more unique and varied in UC2. That's just me though, and this is certainly saying something, since even TLOU has better level design than most games of this generation. Shit, most retail games I've been playing have no sense of "level design" at all, so what TLOU does accomplish is definitely an achievement in and of itself. At this point I'm just comparing the best games to each other.

Also I'd say that UC2 narrowly wins out in graphics. PS3 graphics seem to have peaked at UC2 -- Naughty Dog's engine seems to have hit a plateau with that game, Uncharted 3, and TLOU. In TLOU however I saw a lot more flaws in things like textures and framerate. ND has definitely hit the ceiling of what they can accomplish on the PS3.

Too soon to do GOTY talk because I haven't played much of anything that even lands in that stratosphere that came out this year.

AllenShrz

Am I the only one who chooses to actually walk in this game? I don't know, I kind of like to immerse myself in the game even more by putting myself in Joel's shoes, and I'd probably walk more often than jog lol.

Not at all. I walk too.

The world of the game just sucks me in and demands my attention to every single detail. It's beautiful.

Amir0x

Banned
again, didn't say that, fun stuff

You're like in a semantics dream right now trying to parse my language to refuse just being up front about the intent of what you said:

Hawkian said:
He also came out the other side not thinking the game was "incredible" but "decent," a description I had thought (and previously written) was impossible for anyone to apply to this game.

Sorry, yes, I SHOULD have said you thought it was impossible for anyone to describe the game as "decent", because of course you think...? Fill in the gaps and tell me what you mean -precisely-.

Not trying to start something but you've done this six times so far (edit so you don't try to PARSE this: hyperbole-for-effect!), just toying with the EXACT phrasing, even though the intent of what I was saying and what you were saying is exactly the same - that you felt you couldn't comprehend anyone describing this game in anything other than effusive terms. There's no other way to to interpret it. You certainly didn't mean "oh I thought it could be described as awful or incredible, but not decent!"

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

WUT?! Holy shit, this game, man. First, Nolan North and now Alyx's VA. She's also a great actress, didn't recognize her voice.

Superflat

Also I'd say that UC2 narrowly wins out in graphics. PS3 graphics seem to have peaked at UC2 -- Naughty Dog's engine seems to have hit a plateau with that game, Uncharted 3, and TLOU. In TLOU however I saw a lot more flaws in things like textures and framerate. ND has definitely hit the ceiling of what they can accomplish on the PS3.

Performance-wise the Uncharted series def has TLOU beat, but in terms of visuals I still think TLOU was the clear winner. What they achieve with lighting here (even if some stuff is baked in) is incredibly impressive, resulting in a better looking game.

I always walk in games. This one was the most rewarding game ever to do that.

If I CAN'T walk in a game (Max Payne I'm looking at you) I get really pissed.

Zia

Stalker is a better film than a game or novel. The Road is a better novel than film. The Last of Us is a better movie than Children of Men.

So, there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You're like in a semantics dream right now trying to parse my language to refuse just being up front about the intent of what you said:

Sorry, yes, I SHOULD have said you thought it was impossible for anyone to describe the game as "decent", because of course you think...? Fill in the gaps and tell me what you mean -precisely-.

Not trying to start something but you've done this six times so far (edit so you don't try to PARSE this: hyperbole-for-effect!), just toying with the EXACT phrasing, even though the intent of what I was saying and what you were saying is exactly the same - that you felt you couldn't comprehend anyone describing this game in anything other than effusive terms. There's no other way to to interpret it. You certainly didn't mean "oh I thought it could be described as awful or incredible, but not decent!"
I don't want to get hung up on "not trying to start something" but if you're legitimately not attempting to get a rise out of me by claiming that I haven't been clear: you corrected your interpretation of what I said in this response, and as far as what I mean -precisely-, literally two posts after you quoted the post of mine you just quoted for the third time, the second time:
I said I had thought it was impossible for someone to describe the game as "decent." The way I actually wrote it down was, "I defy anyone to legitimately believe it isn't at least good." I did think that was impossible; but I'm not saying your opinion is wrong or worthless, just surprising.
I do imagine you just missed my response, so I hope this fills in the gaps and I'm sorry I didn't make the issue I had with your misinterpretation clearer from the outset.

antitrop

It ended ;_;

Game of the forever.

I won't talk about anything that concerns spoiler tags in here, what with my intense fail yesterday, but I'll be in the spoiler thread.

What a game.
I think if I was younger this game would be deeper into my Top 5. I just don't think any gaming experience will ever top my childhood memories of FF7, Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, and FF6, but The Last of Us comes as damn close as humanly possible to jump in at #5.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't want to get hung up on "not trying to start something" but if you're legitimately not attempting to get a rise out of me by claiming that I haven't been clear: you corrected your interpretation of what I said in this response, and as far as what I mean -precisely-, literally two posts after you quoted the post of mine you just quoted for the third time, the second time:

I do imagine you just missed my response, so I hope this fills in the gaps and I'm sorry I didn't make the issue I had with your misinterpretation clearer from the outset.

Alright, but just so you know, although it does clarify it, I would have the exact same problem with that comment as your previous. It's trying to paint anyone with a diverse opinion as someone "outside the mainstream" and therefore, by its very nature, somehow not sharing a legitimate position.

Real briefly, Hawkian, but I just want to make a larger point so it's not about you specifically: This is the problem with so many official threads. In official threads, congregants have come together to invest in a product they've likely been following and heavily excited over for months, if not years, and they begin to form almost like warrior tribes to exorcise anyone who doesn't conform to this standard. Can you not understand how a comment like yours is extremely problematic for natural and open minded conversation about a game's quality?

If someone tries to put a line in the sand about ANY game - even my favorite games on Earth - by saying 'i defy anyone to say this game is X' and later say you feel it's impossible that anyone can describe a certain product as decent, you're already confronting someone with a proposition that is impossible to win: you're appealing to the mob to provide cover for what should be a perfectly reasonable ability to defend one's own position.

I hope this helps explain why I reacted the way I did. Official Threads should be open to ALL types of opinions, no matter how negative or positive, no matter how outside the consensus, provided the individual can explain his position.

RDreamer

The game gets a little odd in Fall

I'm in the university, and some random people just start shooting at me and then running straight for me as though they have some sort of vendetta against me. It's a little jarring, actually. It'd be much better if it was a group that was just surprised to see you and yelled for an explanation or something and then shot. These guys just ran in straight for me with axes.

LiK

The game gets a little odd in Fall

I'm in the university, and some random people just start shooting at me and then running straight for me as though they have some sort of vendetta against me. It's a little jarring, actually. It'd be much better if it was a group that was just surprised to see you and yelled for an explanation or something and then shot. These guys just ran in straight for me with axes.

i think that'll be explained for you later.

Leeness

I think if I was younger this game would be deeper into my Top 5. I just don't think any gaming experience will ever top my childhood memories of FF7, Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, and FF6, but The Last of Us comes as damn close as humanly possible to jump in at #5.

Even though I've been gaming since I was 7 or something, a lot of my favourites are from this gen. I didn't really get RPGs when I was younger, so my games were like...Mario and Donkey Kong :)

FFIX and Earthbound were some of my first RPGs and will always be in my top favourites though.

Leeness

antitrop plus Leenees... and me. Three hardcore Earthbound fans. All is right in the world.

Haha. Earthbound is like...it feels like "home" to me? I can play it anytime and I feel like I'm 11 and comfy and happy.

Edit: Also, where is that glitch unlock for survivor? I played like...the first hour on normal and the rest of the game on hard, and it was like "ooh way to complete the game on normal".

BOOOOOO. Haha.

burgerdog

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Alright, but just so you know, although it does clarify it, I would have the exact same problem with that comment as your previous. It's trying to paint anyone with a diverse opinion as someone "outside the mainstream" and therefore, by its very nature, somehow not sharing a legitimate position.

Real briefly, Hawkian, but I just want to make a larger point so it's not about you specifically: This is the problem with so many official threads. In official threads, congregants have come together to invest in a product they've likely been following and heavily excited over for months, if not years, and they begin to form almost like warrior tribes to exorcise anyone who doesn't conform to this standard. Can you not understand how a comment like yours is extremely problematic for natural and open minded conversation about a game's quality?

If someone tries to put a line in the sand about ANY game - even my favorite games on Earth - by saying 'i defy anyone to say this game is X' and later say you feel it's impossible that anyone can describe a certain product as decent, you're already confronting someone with a proposition that is impossible to win: you're appealing to the mob to provide cover for what should be a perfectly reasonable ability to defend one's own position.

I hope this helps explain why I reacted the way I did. Official Threads should be open to ALL types of opinions, no matter how negative or positive, no matter how outside the consensus, provided the individual can explain his position.
Please, Amir0x, believe me: I couldn't possibly care less than I do at this moment about the "mob" or "cover" or "the mainstream." My opinion was that no one could possibly think this game wasn't "good"- at the very least- unless deliberately trying to be contrarian, or otherwise predisposed to dislike it. You have proven me wrong. Your premise about "confronting someone with a proposition that is impossible to win" is laughable; you win.

So with regard to the major thesis you're operating under, I apologize to everyone else in the thread if they thought I was asking them to "get my back" in saying I didn't think anyone would describe The Last of Us as "decent." By the way you're all very attractive.

To address your broader point I don't understand why you read my original comment, which was intended to reflect my estimation of the game's quality, and nothing else, as an attempt to exorcise those with dissenting opinions, shun natural and open conversation, or appeal to the warrior tribes of yore. None of your implied assumptions about "someones" like me apply to me personally- I wasn't that excited about this game prior to release and I wasn't even sure I would buy it... I doubt you'll really even find me having commented much of anywhere about this game and certainly not in this thread before I started playing. I had a few serious criticisms of the gameplay and narrative implications I saw in previews. I decided to buy it after reading enough in write-ups about to to have my interested sufficiently piqued without spoiling anything. As it turned out, the major criticisms I had disappeared in the game's last quarter or so and I was far more impressed than I expected to be with the final product.

In a nutshell, I am not at all "invested" in this game, nor do I care about consensus to anything like the extent you appear to believe I do, or care that I was wrong about what I expected the consensus to be (though of course I was), on any kind of level that is producing me stress. I'm just surprised by it.

FFIX and Earthbound were some of my first RPGs and will always be in my top favourites though.

Earthbound was one of my favorites. I liked how they actually bundled the strategy guide with the game. By today's standards, that's such an lolwut move.

But my very first RPG was....

...Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest for the SNES.

LiK

Earthbound was one of my favorites. I liked how they actually bundled the strategy guide with the game. By today's standards, that's such an lolwut move.

never played Earthbound. that will change when it comes out on VC this year.

TTG

Spoiler question about the cutscene right before fall:
are there different scenarios that play out depending on who you decide to help(by shooting either of the runners on top of them)? I thought I shot the one that was on top of the kid, but he was the one infected.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Spoiler question about the cutscene right before fall:
are there different scenarios that play out depending on who you decide to help(by shooting either of the runners on top of them)? I thought I shot the one that was on top of the kid, but he was the one infected.
No, and accept this precedent for all future events. There is one story.

Leeness

Haha thanks :D

I actually didn't buy it back when it came out. I was 8 or 9 at the time and my mom looked at box and was like "look it says this game stinks" and wouldn't get it for me lol.

I own a copy now but for a long time, I played it through...other means. Haha.

Kinda ridiculous - scratch that - ludicrous that there have been complains regarding this game's visuals. The beginning of FALL is one of the nicest things I've seen in gaming all year. The trees, the rocks, Joel's wet hair, his shirt; it's so muted, yet so beautiful.

Amir0x

Banned
Another Earthbound fan, we're starting to go places now. Like, in what ways does one of Earthbound's central themes of the importance of any adventure being about the journey itself and not the destination mirror the theme's of TLoU? It might make an interesting topic of conversation!

mickcenary said:
Kinda ridiculous - scratch that - ludicrous that there have been complains regarding this game's visuals

The framerate is rough at times, there are jaggies all over the places, visual glitches all the time, etc. I think the game has superlative artistic direction but the overall quality is definitely being obfuscated by the aged PS3 hardware and there is no doubt it is NOT ludicrous to point those visual issues out.

Top Bottom