• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

demolitio

I keep thinking about the headset deal to go along with this. I have some Tritton AX180's that I got for $17 on clearance but for a game like this and the new generation coming in (as long as they work on PS4), I'm wondering if a better pair would be worth it and of course the wireless would just be icing on the cake.

I never thought a console game would get me to consider better headphones since SOCOM's death so more props to Naughty Dog. :p

Toxi

Banned
Here, the world, the atmosphere, the themes, it makes sense if we kill everyone.
You spoiled the plot of the sequel.

The Last of Us 2 will be a beautiful story about Joel and Ellie bonding as they shoot, stab, and PUNCH IN THE THROAT every last zombie and human on Earth.

To be honest, for every 10 "OMG THIS GAME!!! 10/10 GOTF!!" post I've seen there is one "Game is amazing but such and such doesn't do it for me. 9/10 though so far"

That's damn good. I don't see why people are worrying if the game is really worthy of hype. It's better than someone saying it's the best game of all time and then 4 more posts after claims the game is 6/10. This isn't Resident Evil 6 now.

Teknoman

So same question with Uncharted series: Is it better to set to stereo headphones or stereo speakers when using Sony Wireless headsets? Would be nice if someone from ND could comment :p

Also I hope they explain why you can mess around with spore covered fully infected enemies, yet not get infected.

One thing I've been wondering about, although I don't mean to come off as morbid. How does the damage/gore in this game work? Does it matter where you shoot, are headshots pre canned explosions every time? Every gif/video seems to cut away before anything happens.

Did you ever find a survival edition Paul? I didn't have luck pre-ordering, although I'm hoping I'll be able to find one at launch day. Hate when people say they will do something for you and then don't :D

Mendrox

Is there a Donut Joel and Donut Ellie model?

One thing I've been wondering about, although I don't mean to come off as morbid. How does the damage/gore in this game work? Does it matter where you shoot, are headshots pre canned explosions every time? Every gif/video seems to cut away before anything happens.

Did you ever find a survival edition Paul? I didn't have luck pre-ordering, although I'm hoping I'll be able to find one at launch day. Hate when people say they will do something for you and then don't :D

Surprise. :)

Second:

Well, if Joel gets hit in the face you will have a bloody nose etc.
Joel kills everyone very... spectacular and headshots a brutal with some weapons.

antitrop

If I could humbly request someone to make some iPhone wallpapers, that would be amazing and greatly appreciated!

I'm still using 2 Bioshock Infinite ones from that OT in March.

Facism

As bad and draconian E3 could possibly get this year, at least this game is coming this week. It's what i'm looking forward too.

Shining

I've seen many posts regarding headphones in this thread and i need some advice. Getting the game on release!

I've been using the Logitech Z-5500 sound system for years along with the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II headphones mostly for gaming. About a month ago the Z-5500 gave up the ghost and i've been connecting my headphones directly to the 3,5mm headphone jack on the TV since then. Compared to the Z-5500 the sound is now really flat and the bass is lacking. So i've been thinking about getting a 7.1 Dolby headphone amp. Is that the best option for me not wanting to invest in a new sound system with speakers/reciever?

My setup is like this:

PS3 - HDMI - TV - Toslink optical out from TV
PC - HDMI - TV - Toslink optical out from TV

Would something like the Mixamp Pro do the trick, or should i invest in something more expensive?

dermann

Banned
You can't understand how jealous I am of the people who are able to play this game before Friday. How does one actually purchase the game early? As long as the person actually payed for the game, I'm at least OK with this (I DESPISE piracy).

mine got sent today (germany)
so will be able to play tomorrow :D
(spielegrotte)

Koralsky

If you have DTS receiver and have good acoustic in your room, you must choose "Dynamic range: Maximum" in sound setting.

Differences between "default" and "Maximum" are huge.

DatDude

Banned
Just be sheer production values and solid gameplay/writing, the game impresses.
But actual gameplay mechanics, actuall narrative and considering disconnect between story and gameplay at times do not really make it that excellent for me.
Very good, enjoyable for one run, but 10/10s or 'this is how games should be'? Nah.

What were you expecting, and what were the issues?

I mean gameplay wise, we know what they are, so what disappointed?

Narrative wise? We knew it would be a simple cliched tale of a man delivering a promise by bring a girl across the country, but it's presentation and delivery was what was going to matter.

Disconnect between the story and gameplay? I'm confused here as well? What was so "disconnecting" about it?

Apeopleman

Anyone know of any spot in NY that is selling early?

I called this place http://www.getreadytogame.com/ and they said they're getting it Tuesday the latest (not holding my breathe)

I called Video Games Ny and had my name put on a list; they'll call me if and when they get it in

Pachimari

There's nothing disconnecting between story and gameplay.

There was a disconnect in Uncharted and Tomb Raider but that's not the case with The Last of Us.

Donos

mine got sent today (germany)
so will be able to play tomorrow :D
(spielegrotte)

Which version? EU/German? report if you notice any strange camera cuts from the "gore" or something. GoW Ascension was supposed to be uncut but got some (minor) cuts anyway. Don't know when schnittberichte.com gets their hands on it.

Hanmik

I'm gonna read this in Danish later. But I agree with your cons and pluses. Gonna write mine before the Microsoft conference.

just made some small changes to the review.. hope you enjoy it..!

and there really is nothing disconnecting between story and gameplay, the game feels like a complete game. Never enjoyed a game as much as this, despite the small technical problems the game has.

No story spoilers, only about level of violence
You play limbs off dead bodies
Others have said you can see an enemy's insides if you shoot him in the stomach with a shotgun
You blow heads off
Insane blood spray on walls
According to GameRevolution review, blood physics are awesome (dripping down face/arm, staining and spreading on shirt)

Oh, I'm doing Survival but I haven't had much time, as I got other review copies to take care of as well. :)
I still haven't found a good answer for this. What's the difference between Survivor and Hard? Less player health, more enemy damage/health? Or less supplies, better equipped human enemies, remixed infected, etc.?

I hate the former and would love the latter

Pachimari

No story spoilers, only about level of violence
You play limbs off dead bodies
Others have said you can see an enemy's insides if you shoot him in the stomach with a shotgun
You blow heads off
Insane blood spray on walls
According to GameRevolution review, blood physics are awesome (dripping down face/arm, staining and spreading on shirt)

I still haven't found a good answer for this. What's the difference between Survivor and Hard? Less player health, more enemy damage/health? Or less supplies, better equipped human enemies, remixed infected, etc.?

I hate the former and would love the latter

The bad thing about the blood though is, that all the blood pools from dead bodies are the exact same. And when you walk on it, it won't leave footprints of blood. Small details though.

Survival is unlocked from the start?
No. You have to unlock it by completing the game.

Think I can buy the game on Thursday instead of Friday. I hope.

The wait is just getting unbearable because of the fact there are dozens of people who already got the game early.

Does Joel have no problem killing humans, and does he kill humans that he doesn't need to? I hope this game is something new in that regard. It would be nice to play a game where you feel like killing only as a last resort.

Does Joel have no problem killing humans, and does he kill humans that he doesn't need to? I hope this game is something new in that regard. It would be nice to play a game where you feel like killing only as a last resort.
Well one review called Joel unlikeable (but not in a bad way) and not a guy you'd want to meet alone in an alley.

Which I find refreshing. I love anti heroes and protagonists with grey morals

Dude Abides

Banned

Sounds like the only thing that prevents him from killing people is lack of ammo or being outnumbered.

Top Bottom