• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

So far its average. I give it a 6.5/10.
I just shut it off because of the clicker stealth part I hate it I have no idea where I am going everything just looks the same.

I honestly find it hard to play with a controller for any kind of shooter game and its really showing here its making it annoying to play (obviously not its fault). The sensitivity doesn't go high enough.

Dr Dogg

Well had a nice surprise when I got home :D. About 4 hours in and I don't know if it's Keighley sending subconscious signals to me via twitter but I found a giraffe (a plushie one) amongst some rubble. Would post a pic but you know... spoilers and all.

Retail pre-ordering needs to die.

I'm fine with digital pre-ordering if you get pre-loading.

Exclusive retail editions and dlc at that. It's not even nicle and diming it's bribery.

So far its average. I give it a 6.5/10.
I just shut it off because of the clicker stealth part I hate it I have no idea where I am going everything just looks the same.

I honestly find it hard to play with a controller for any kind of shooter game and its really showing here its making it annoying to play (obviously not its fault). The sensitivity doesn't go high enough.
Sounds like the game isn't for you. Or you're just not used to a controller. I'm the opposite:
I have no idea how people play games with a keyboard and mouse. Seems like finger torture to me

What kind of environments were you expecting and would you have prefered a more guided experience?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I am.

For a game to be "good" IMO:
- decent graphics
- AI that at very least takes cover
- more than 5 hours
- no game breaking glitches/bugs
- is fun

That's basically it. Games that do more than that...there's no way I'm not going to like it.

You're gonna love this game. Seems you have similar taste/standards as me.

Sounds like the game isn't for you. Or you're just not used to a controller. I'm the opposite:
I have no idea how people play games with a keyboard and mouse. Seems like finger torture

Sadly I might have to agree Bioshock Infinite blows this out of the water. Elizabeth is nigh on perfect whereas Ellie has got me killed or wounded several times (she always bugs out and gets in the way of hallways meaning I have to find another way round or something similar).

Also so far the story is pretty predictable. There is no real motivation play on so far.

SRTtoZ

My GameStop isn't doing a midnight release :(

I could go to one that does which is 30 minutes away in Nanuet but whatever, I'll just grab it tomorrow.

antitrop

I have no idea how people play games with a keyboard and mouse. Seems like finger torture to me

What kind of environments were you expecting and would you have prefered a more guided experience?
Keyboard and mouse sucks for most games that aren't first person shooters. I have a PlayStation 3 controller plugged in and a MotioninJoy shortcut on my desktop at all times.

But for first person shooters? It's all about the Mouse. The real reason why aiming on consoles in third-person shooters is difficult is because of input lag due to 30fps. That's my real issue more than the control input method.

I played Tomb Raider on a controller on PC at 60fps and had no problems, but I'm having a hell of a time aiming properly in Uncharted 2 because of the frame rate.

mxgt

Banned
Played the first section after the intro, I love the atmosphere and visuals, but the gameplay hasn't won me over yet. It has potential though, hoping I'll like it more when it opens up.

I really need to get a controller -> KB/M converter for these games.

Greenzxy

Well had a nice surprise when I got home :D. About 4 hours in and I don't know if it's Keighley sending subconscious signals to me via twitter but I found a giraffe (a plushie one)

Keep playing the game. There's another Geoff reference later on.

Rainy Dog

Just pre-ordered this on UK PSN. Mt first digital preorder, I feel both excitement and disappointment with myself for shelling out the full 40 quid.

As a plus subscriber, will it download automatically from midnight tonight if automatic updates are set to that time? And do I have to have the download recommended games and videos checked as that's the only option I uncheck for auto updates? Cheers.

You're gonna love this game. Seems you have similar taste/standards as me.
Yeah I'm easy to please with games and movies. As long as it's entertaining, I'm going to enjoy it.

Like I thought Battle LA was an awesome movie. The critics hated it because it wasn't original or too gung hon "Go America" or something. What?

I thought Inversion was a fun game. Most reviews slammed it because it was just another cover shooter with a gimmick. What's wrong with that?

So I already know The Last of Us is going to be a 10/10 for me. Only question is how much it exceeds my expectations

daoster

Welp....I preordered the game via Newegg a couple of months ago, but I forgot that my card had been stolen, so the payment was declined...so I just canceled it...bought it via Amazon with Prime, hoping it'd ship from CA and get to me by tomorrow, but it said it'd get to me by Tuesday, so that was a nope.

Bought it from PSN instead...and I forgot there's no tax on PSN, so...YES!

I hope my ISP won't get mad, since i basically downloaded UC3 last night >_> <_<

Keyboard and mouse sucks for most games that aren't first person shooters. I have a PlayStation 3 controller plugged in and a MotioninJoy shortcut on my desktop at all times.

But for first person shooters? It's all about the Mouse. The real reason why aiming on consoles in third-person shooters is difficult is because of input lag due to 30fps. That's my real issue more than the control input method.

I played Tomb Raider on a controller on PC at 60fps and had no problems, but I'm having a hell of a time aiming properly in Uncharted 2 because of the frame rate.
I thinks it because I've never played a shooter or any game with a mouse/keyboard. I don't notice any lag with a controller. It's just...how it is. I never got into the PC gaming scene. Not that I have anything against PC (DayZ looks amazing), although I can't stand PC "elitists"

Even when I try to play shooter flash games, using a mouse and keyboard is just awkward. I'd take a controller over that set-up any day

panty

Is it tomorrow yet

ibxQHpIX8RrvBz.gif

I thinks it because I've never played a shooter or any game with a mouse/keyboard. I don't notice any lag with a controller. It's just...how it is. I never got into the PC gaming scene. Not that I have anything against PC (DayZ looks amazing), although I can't stand PC "elitists"

Even when I try to play shooter flash games, using a mouse and keyboard is just awkward. I'd take a controller over that set-up any day

I was like that I found it awkward when I first started out but you get the hang of it and its been so long since I used a controller in a shooter it just feels alien. I use Mouse and keyboard for everything excluding Driving (I use a wheel) and fighting games. Mind you I play RTS and Grand strategy games mostly.

antitrop

Even completely ignoring M/Kb vs Controller, you can easily notice the immediate improvement in aiming responsiveness from playing a third-person shooter console port on PC at 60fps with a controller, and then playing the same game on consoles.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just reserved my copy at GameStop. Paid it off, so I'm just gonna stroll into the store at midnight tonight and pick up my copy.

Body is ready.

jarosh

The object based motion blur in this game is way too aggressive. Any ever so slight movement of the camera will blur textures significantly. It's especially noticable on Joel himself; even just sneaking around slowly robs the texture on his shirt of all the detail. Shame. Another eyesore is the lack of AF (or simply not enough AF). Ground textures just a few feet away tend to blur considerably. The framerate drops are also quite frequent and jarring, they happen even when there's no action and only a single character on screen. Tech wise I expected more from Naughty Dog.

Pachimari

I actually kinda wish the multiplayer were more in depth with more modes and a player profile(?). Anyway what's there is absolutely sublime.

What is the DLC packages coming all about?

Manp

- no game breaking glitches/bugs

i just lost 3 solid hours of progress because autosave got stuck in an infinite saving and i could not go back to main menu no matter how much i waited...

so yeah...

now knowing myself i will not touch this shit for months

What is up with all the negativity? Did everyone overhype themselves?

All those 10's, people have high expectations. The game, after it's awesome opening... takes it's time really getting going for a couple of hours. Which will cause some concern for folks....then it starts getting better and better!

All those 10's people expect more and the game, after it's awesome opening... takes it's time really getting going for a couple of hours. Which will make people have some cause for concern.... then it starts getting better, and better imo.
Well that type of slow burn narrative is rare in games. Usual they start off with a bang and just keep upping the explosives, so to speak. I really can't think any other game that stays subdued and slower-paced in its beginning, besides maybe Heavy Rain. Personally I love slow burn tension that just builds and erupts so this seems like it'll be my kind of game

ZeroRay

The object based motion blur in this game is way too aggressive. Any ever so slight movement of the camera will blur textures significantly. It's especially noticable on Joel himself; even just sneaking around slowly robs the texture on his shirt of all the detail. Shame. Another eyesore is the lack of AF (or simply not enough AF). Ground textures just a few feet away tend to blur considerably. The framerate drops are also quite frequent and jarring, they happen even when there's no action and only a single character on screen. Tech wise I expected more from Naughty Dog.

Limitations on the engine/hardware I assume. The Uncharted games had Trilinear filtering of all things and the environments were a lot smaller. They were basically the equivalent of Crash Bandicoot tech wise; you keep going forward as content streams from the disk - just without the ability to backtrack like Crash.

My local GameStops aren't doing midnights, so I was considering hitting up a Walmart at midnight. Even if they don't have an "event," will I be able to get it at midnight?

Thanks. I mean, I can wait till tomorrow morning, but if I don't have to, then why would I?

antitrop

My local GameStops aren't doing midnights, so I was considering hitting up a Walmart at midnight. Even if they don't have an "event," will I be able to get it at midnight?

Thanks. I mean, I can wait till tomorrow morning, but if I don't have to, then why would I?

Yup, midnight at Walmart or Target is probably the best bet. Call ahead, obviously.

Lime

Got the game a day earlier thanks to the store shipping the game two days before the actual release.

The game's still a linear, cinematic experience, but damn if Naughty Dog don't do it very well. The presentation is simply amazing considering the hardware.

In terms of gameplay, I think that the rarity of ammo/items and challenging encounters coupled with optional stealth are what I consider to make this game stand out from the rest of the shitty linear setpiece-driven games - these gameplay aspects also complement the tone of the setting, thereby adding meaning to the world, instead of subtracting from the experience by being completely disconnected from the narrative à la Uncharted or Tomb Raider.

Where do you live? Because on the US PS Store, their midnight release is by PST time. So for those like me in New York, I wont be able to download till 3:01 am

Finland. They probably will do it when CET hits midnight (Berlin) or WET in the worst case scenario (Hopefully!)

So hopefully in less than 2 hours I can start the damn download. After that its probably forever to download the first 12gb needed to play *sigh*

Finland. They probably will do it when CET hits midnight (Berlin) or WET in the worst case scenario (Hopefully!)

So hopefully in less than 2 hours I can start the damn download. After that its probably forever to download the first 12gb needed to play *sigh*
Check the PS Store. It should tell you when the download will be available

Go to the TLOU page, go to Download, and a message should come up telling you when you can download the game and preorder content.

That's how I found out that our midnight release was based on PST time.

Top Bottom