• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Jinjo

This game sorta reminds me of the first time I went through Resident Evil 4. It is tense. Story/cutscenes/characters definitely have that Naughty Dog charm.

Lime

The pre-rendered cutscenes look like something out of next-gen.

I could imagine a re-release on PS4 with the same cutscenes, but higher resolution + AA in gameplay sections.

Shoyz

This game features an insurmountable usage of the 'Stairwell blocked by rubbage' trope.

Ammo really isn't valuable or sparse at all in this game, as much as I thought it would be...

Should of got the download but for some reason I reeeaallly want a disc copy of this. Besides Amazon already charged me and its shipping now so I have no choice haha

This game features an insurmountable usage of the 'Stairwell blocked by rubbage' trope.

Ammo really isn't valuable or sparse at all in this game, as much as I thought it would be...
What difficulty are you playing? The general consensus is that hard, with listen mode off, is the best experience.

spannicus

3.AM EST is useless especially when its 34 GB, I unfortunately have Clear Wireless. I'd be playing the game at 6.PM the following Thursday evening. Shout out to my high speed internet peeps out there, I see yall from down here.

Gotta wait to go get it first thing tomorrow. Luckily in the meantime my replacement HDD came for the PS3 and I have to finish Journey. Man that game is fucking beautiful

Shoyz

What difficulty are you playing? The general consensus is that hard, with listen mode off, is the best experience.

Hard, but I'll need to look into listen mode. Hopefully Survivor is what I'm looking for.
Though I am playing it as Stealth, I wouldn't be much worse off guns blazing. But it really hits me when I switch from one nearly-full gun to another because I'm full on ammo for it..
Then again I'm checking every nook and cranny for items so for those who aren't obsessive, YMMV

Loomba

<brag> Futureshop delivered my copy before noon today. Haven't even opened it yet, probably Sat or Sun sometime. </brag>

A lot of us got it early, myself included. The street date on this has been vastly ignored hah.

Game is fantastic though, I've played about 6 hours and have only just gotten over 10 bullets, I love it.

The object based motion blur in this game is way too aggressive. Any ever so slight movement of the camera will blur textures significantly. It's especially noticable on Joel himself; even just sneaking around slowly robs the texture on his shirt of all the detail. Shame. Another eyesore is the lack of AF (or simply not enough AF). Ground textures just a few feet away tend to blur considerably. The framerate drops are also quite frequent and jarring, they happen even when there's no action and only a single character on screen. Tech wise I expected more from Naughty Dog.

Really dude? This is as good as it gets on this hardware, ND aren't magicians, how about we appreciate the fact that some developers were able to push it this far? And go easy on the hyperbole regarding the frame-rate.

3.AM EST is useless especially when its 34 GB, I unfortunately have Clear Wireless. I'd be playing the game at 6.PM the following Thursday evening. Shout out to my high speed internet peeps out there, I see yall from down here.
Well we only have to download 50% to play. That's 17 GB. So I'll be up at 4 or 5 am, then go back to sleep, and hopefully will be playing by 10 or 11am

And I thought it was 26 GB?

Jinjo

I'm playing on hard as well. Definitely the way to go. Started with listen mode off, but I put it on after a while. Got caught off guard too many a times by a runner. Less of a frustration now and it's still difficult. Will go for the Survivor No Listen playthrough later.

Went and pre-ordered yesterday. Can't wait for tomorrow. E3 news at the start of the week, MoS tonight, and Last of Us tomorrow. Man, what a great week to be part of this culture.

ssowinski

A lot of us got it early, myself included. The street date on this has been vastly ignored hah.

Game is fantastic though, I've played about 6 hours and have only just gotten over 10 bullets, I love it.

Ya, but I'm not even think about playing mine yet. Even though it sound absolutely fantastic.

spannicus

Well we only have to download 50% to play. That's 17 GB. So I'll be up at 4 or 5 am, then go back to sleep, and hopefully will be playing by 10 or 11am

And I thought it was 26 GB?

Nope 30+ Even downloding 50% for me would still get me Tuesday playtime. Depends on your connection though, you know it better than I do hehe.

<brag> Futureshop delivered my copy before noon today. Haven't even opened it yet, probably Sat or Sun sometime. </brag>

tumblr_m8f1f7CRHI1rtc9of.gif

Whoa I'm at 44% with 5 hours. No way 7% is going to take me another 4 hours right?!?!. Are you stopping alot just to look at visuals? I'm on hard, not rushing, and trying to find as many items as possible.
We concluded that the completion percentages weren't linked directly to where you are in the game. It's based on something else. There were two posters who had played for a similar amount of time but had different percentages.

This dynamic stealth system makes it. It really is a current-gen Manhunt in that respect, only way more fluid. I hardly ever use guns (and they're pretty pointless anyway on Hard). Hard + no Listen Mode is the way to go. Amazing game.

Amir0x

Banned
Says guaranteed delivery for tomorrow, and the tracking says my package is only an hour away currently so I definitely will get it. Can't wait!

People like looking at all the details in ND games. :p

So do I! ;)

We concluded that the completion percentages weren't linked directly to where you are in the game. It's based on something else. There were two posters who had played for a similar amount of time but had different percentages.

True but 7% for another 4 hours seems nuts. That really..really.. would make their system off. Hmmm well I guess I'll find out. *edit* ahh and now I understand a bit more what your saying. Not just progression factors into the percentage.

Mupod

Was hoping my copy (and my PS3) would be here today but they will be at the post office tomorrow morning. I can live with that.

My trusty old Sennheiser HD555s should be up to the task of hearing dudes through walls.

Agreed, but from now on you might want to set your hype bar a little bit lower.

Nah. The intro was incredilby immersive, but as good as the acting and cut-scenes are (and the soundtrack is a thing of beauty), it's the cat and mouse with the enemies that make this. It really is an excellent stealth game. Being both a hunter and the hunted hasn't been done this well in ages.

Also, Clicker sounds are something else.

antitrop

Hope the fire doesn't keep me from playing this tomorrow. Still haven't been placed in mandatory evac, yet, but the zone was moved to a couple hundred feet away a few hours ago, so it's looking almost 100% that I'll have to evac tonight.

I've been sucking on my electronic cigarette constantly for the last 24 hours straight out of nervous habit. I got like 3 hours of sleep last night.

I've just been packing, following the #BlackForestFire hashtag on Twitter, and reading NeoGAF all day. Waiting for the word...

Nah. The intro was incredilby immersive, but as good as the acting and cut-scenes are (and the soundtrack is a thing of beauty), it's the cat and mouse with the enemies that make this. It really is an excellent stealth game. Being both a hunter and the hunted hasn't been done this well in ages.

Also, Clicker sounds are something else.
As a huge stealth fan, all this talk gets me so excited. Most stealth games, you're fragile. Or you're a predator a la Batman and Hitman. But very rarely are you both.

So a violent gritty stealth game where you're both hunter and hunter sounds amazing

Top Bottom