• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Liberty4all

Banned
I normally dislike single player games (mostly a competitive multiplayer guy). For reference, while I respected the Uncharted series, I didn't finish any of them.

Will I enjoy this? I'm tempted to grab it.

StuBurns

Banned
The opening is really stunning. The game has a great mood to it, and I like how deliberate and weighted the movement is. However, the performance is really not where it should be, and the image quality is poor. Not to mention I got hit with the autosave bug, so just wasted an hour.

It's looking like despite the prolonged development, this game needed more time, and arguably, a better console to run on.

The opening is really stunning. The game has a great mood to it, and I like how deliberate and weighted the movement is. However, the performance is really not where it should be, and the image quality is poor. Not to mention I got hit with the autosave bug, so just wasted an hour.

It's looking like despite the prolonged development, this game needed more time, and arguably, a better console to run on.

PS4 version is going to be great then.

I don't see what's weird about it. It would be stupidly frustrating being discovered entirely not by your mistake, and over something you have no control over. It's a decision that shows they were actually thinking about gameplay and not just doing what's obvious.

This is a game being praised and was hyped for its amazing and revolutionary AI, right? So clearly this is an issue that should be worked on rather than put to the side like Bioshock Infinite which wasn't hyped by the developers for revolutionary AI advancements.

Hey gang! Does this game have an install? If so, how big? I have to kind of budget my HDD space because I only have 9GB left and part of that is going to the FFXIV beta.

If all else fails, I can try deleting things, but the last time I did that my HDD glitched when I was deleting the Resistance 3 data install and it took 4 and a half hours to remove the whole file...

StuBurns

Banned
Doubtful, I imagine they're gonna be working on the sequel on PS4
I think there's no way it doesn't happen. PS4 can't play this game, and as you said, it'll most likely get a sequel on PS4, so people want the original, it's very highly rated, and the PS3 version is wanting, at best. And Sony did HD ports of tons of games this generation.

dab0ne

I'm having issues with the aiming. There is a little bit of latency with my right analog stick. Is anyone else getting this? If I flick the right stick it takes a moment for the camera to move. It makes gunfights feel incredibly clunky and absolutely un-enjoyable.

I think there's no way it doesn't happen. PS4 can't play this game, as you said, it'll most likely get a sequel on PS4, so people want the original, it's very highly rated, and the PS3 version is wanting, at best. And Sony did HD ports of tons of games this generation.

There's no reason to bring it to PS4 anyway outside of it looking a bit nicer and running better. Everything else will be identical

Radec

Man, the character models of Joel and ellie are phenomenal.

Probably Tessalation is what it only needs to be perfect.

I don't really play stealth games so I feel like I have no clue what to do in certain situations... if I get past a section I just consider it luck but sometimes it's damn frustrating cause I feel like it's probably a breeze for others. I'm sure there are multiple ways to get through parts but I keep thinking like "If I didn't have these items it would've have worked" etc and now I'm like "Now I wasted those items... what if I need them soon"

At the part where
JET are trying to avoid getting caught in the last part of the flashlight sections where Ellie says something like 'shit he's in here with us' I died multiple times til I just threw a brick to distract the enemy and shiv'd him and then another one as well and that was that I tried to just strangle him that but made too much noise and led the rest of them to me... now i'm at that part with the GOW demo.

IDK! Just wanted to share... lol

Man, the character models of Joel and ellie are phenomenal.

Probably Tessalation is what it only needs to be perfect.

There is a lot more you could add to the visuals to make the game a LOT better looking. But it's old hardware so we can dream lol

Just think that in game on PS4 would look even better than the in engine cutscenes the game has now

Going through the single player now, but did check out the multiplayer and played some great, intense matches. Love it!

Are we posting PSN names here? OK then!
See you guys online.

PSN: Caemgen

I think I found a work around for the save bug
I did loose like 45 minutes :/
After I reloaded the game I just created a new save from the start menu in game and things seem to be saving ok now.

StuBurns

Banned
The jump from SD to HD is a completely different concept and you know it.
No, it's not. From 480i to 720p is not some other worldly difference than 720p to 1080p, or 30fps to 60fps. Just because people choose to call anything 720p or higher HD, and anything below SD means nothing.

It's about providing a better experience, and for an audience unable to play the original, and the PS4 audience will not be able to play this game.

(The game just autosaved fucked up on me again, embarrassing)

Sickbean

Going through the single player now, but did check out the multiplayer and played some great, intense matches. Love it!

Are we posting PSN names here? OK then!
See you guys online.

PSN: Caemgen

Is it worth making a thread for PSN names interested in playing TLoU multi? I'd do it but I can't. Mine is Sickbean82 - I'll try to be on most evenings UK time.

From the sounds of the save bug knocking about maybe more people will be playing multiplayer first till it gets sorted.

Loomba

I love this game but man, it has some technical flaws. Had the autosave glitch last night and lost 3 hours and then just now I cleared out an area all stealthy, took me about 15 minutes, then as soon as I strangled the last guy; they all just popped in again, like from the sky right on top of where I just killed them all.

So now I have 1 bullet in my pistol instead of 11 or so and no items. So annoying.

Moozo

Holy shit auto save bug everywhere. Manage about half an hour before it comes back again

Edit: wow, just had to beat the first
bloater
for the second time because of it and it happened again...

Holy shit, I thought Max Payne 3 couldn't be topped when it comes to gunplay brutality. This game's probably even more gruesome. The shotgun can blow off limbs, and sometimes you'll blast someone in the stomach and their guts will be hanging out. Nasty shit.

DatDude

Banned
This is a game being praised and was hyped for its amazing and revolutionary AI, right? So clearly this is an issue that should be worked on rather than put to the side like Bioshock Infinite which wasn't hyped by the developers for revolutionary AI advancements.

Not really.

I don't remember naughty dog going all Irrational touting how great there ai system is.

It's good. It does some interesting things. Obviously ai won't see much leap and bounds until the next generation of systems roll around.

The game is already HD. Evidence?
It's barely HD. But what upsets me most is the lack of texture filtering. It was bad in Uncharted as well, but somehow it seems even more apparent here. It's upsetting because Naughty Dog's texture work is some of the best in the business, and yet the textures become a complete blur from just 5 metres away. I keep tilting the camera down at the floor so that I can look at the texture square-on without it blurring at an angle.

1080p60 with 16xAF (virtually no performance impact on any modern GPU) would transform the game. Just being able to see the texture work at any kind of angle would be nice.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
How are the controls for the game?

I've heard they're...odd.

How are the controls for the game?

I've heard they're...odd.

Controls are fine. I didn't notice anything when I first started playing. Some extremely technical people may think the aiming is supposed to be twitch precise like COD but it's a little weapon sway when aiming that seems to be intentional from the main character but then you can upgrade weapons and stats.

TheExodu5

Banned
There's no reason to bring it to PS4 anyway outside of it looking a bit nicer and running better. Everything else will be identical

I guarantee you there is a ton of details in the modelling and texture work that you just can't appreciate because of the low resolution. A bump to 1080p/60fps would do wonders.

Top Bottom