• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Erasus

Hey gang! Does this game have an install? If so, how big? I have to kind of budget my HDD space because I only have 9GB left and part of that is going to the FFXIV beta.

If all else fails, I can try deleting things, but the last time I did that my HDD glitched when I was deleting the Resistance 3 data install and it took 4 and a half hours to remove the whole file...

Upgrade to a 750GB/1TB HDD. Its so worth it. You can have everything you ever bought installed.

Anyone else having disc reading errors? I've tried this in two of my PS3 slims (the slot loading ones) and the drive makes a clicking sound as it tries to read the disc but can't seem to recognize the disc. I have to tilt the console up for it to work.

Certain blu-ray discs also have this problem.

I guarantee you there is a ton of details in the modelling and texture work that you just can't appreciate because of the low resolution. A bump to 1080p/60fps would do wonders.

Yeah, Dark Souls proved this actually

What's this about save corruption? Do I need to be worried? What's the bug?

Autosave freezes and doesn't actually autosave. If you pause it might say "Autosaving" a bunch of times but it's doing nothing and you lose any progress since the last good save. Manual saving also re-enables autosaving after you do it

This is a game being praised and was hyped for its amazing and revolutionary AI, right?

Considering the circumstances, the AI is revolutionary as it utilizes the "balance of power" concept ND implemented. So far reviews have confirmed this to be the case.

That doesn't mean the AI is perfect. They are flawed (especially when ND confirmed them to be deliberate). But regardless, I have yet to hear of an AI system that does it the way ND does.

DatDude

Banned
I have to say the game reminds me very much of the ps2/ps1 era.

Alot of old school mechanics here. Which I very much appreciate.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is a game being praised and was hyped for its amazing and revolutionary AI, right? So clearly this is an issue that should be worked on rather than put to the side like Bioshock Infinite which wasn't hyped by the developers for revolutionary AI advancements.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. It has nothing do with AI, as they have simply decided that AI doesn't pay attention to a factor that's beyond your control. This is the kind of thing that would be a major issue in real life, with real people as well (as in, you'd be discovered because of someone else's mistake)

Multiplayer is where it's at yo. Setting traps shooting people with upgraded 9mm. Having 3 perks at max level. Listening to mofos looking for you shiv em in the back . Crafting lvl3 is the best.

antitrop

My shift at work starts in an hour and a half and goes for 6 hours.

Quick stop across the street to Walmart, then another short stop at Chipotle for a fat-ass burrito, and then I'll catch up on everyone's impressions while eating dinner.

Then, it's all about playing The Last of Us tonight. Today is a great day, guys.

The forest fire situation out here is even looking better and better, considering I'm 200ft outside of the evacuation zone.

It's barely HD. But what upsets me most is the lack of texture filtering. It was bad in Uncharted as well, but somehow it seems even more apparent here. It's upsetting because Naughty Dog's texture work is some of the best in the business, and yet the textures become a complete blur from just 5 metres away. I keep tilting the camera down at the floor so that I can look at the texture square-on without it blurring at an angle.

1080p60 with 16xAF (virtually no performance impact on any modern GPU) would transform the game. Just being able to see the texture work at any kind of angle would be nice.

I am not saying that it can't/shouldn't be done, just that it won't.

As a PC gamer I am well aware of the benefits of the best IQ available.

Surprisingly the multiplayer is not shit. Was playing for a bit cause of Autosave big and it is actually really fun and tense

Especially the mode without respawns. Fucking intense. Stealth is actually viable. I hid behind a desk, watched two guys go past me upstairs, followed them, shivved one, meleed the other.

It's really good

Bowler

Damn it... just checked the tracking on neweggs ship time... 6/19 estimated ship date...

fuck that... just to save 12 bucks. Im on the east coast, but they are shipping from the cali plant.

Looks like I need to find a plain jane copy, and then return it when newegg shows...

My shift at work starts in an hour and a half and goes for 6 hours.

Quick stop across the street to Walmart, then another short stop at Chipotle for a fat-ass burrito, and then I'll catch up on everyone's impressions while eating dinner.

Then, it's all about playing The Last of Us tonight. Today is a great day, guys.

The forest fire situation out here is even looking better and better, considering I'm 200ft outside of the evacuation zone.

Well hopefully they patch it and fix the damn game first

Got to the "Beyond the Wall" area and then turned mya ttention to the mp where i spent the next 5 hours playing game, after game lol. The mp def. does not feel anything like Uncharted mp and man the graphics are beautiful on my 120 inch favi screen!!!!! The snow level is a site to behold indeed!

MAX PAYMENT

Got to the "Beyond the Wall" area and then turned mya ttention to the mp where i spent the next 5 hours playing game, after game lol. The mp def. does not feel anything like Uncharted mp and man the graphics are beautiful on my 120 inch favi screen!!!!! The snow level is a site to behold indeed!
Isn't that like one square inch per pixel?

antitrop

Surprisingly the multiplayer is not shit. Was playing for a bit cause of Autosave big and it is actually really fun and tense

Especially the mode without respawns. Fucking intense. Stealth is actually viable. I hid behind a desk, watched two guys go past me upstairs, followed them, shivved one, meleed the other.

It's really good
Considering I grew up on thousands of hours of Counter-Strike in high school, this sounds like something I will really enjoy.

It's really good

Yeah i agree! and the graphics are really good in mp, better than most single player games. The lighting really stands out. And what about the view in the snow level? I love the way that level looks and snow is well done.

Back to what you were saying about stealth, yeah they made it an intricate part of the game because if your crouched you dont show up on the map so stealth is a necessity, which i felt was a good move. I was taking shots at some gamer across the level and looking at my map and didnt see anyone, but bam!!!!!!! somneone choked me from behind and blasted my melon lol

Loving the game.

I also think people are overestimating the autosave thing. I think it's only if you turn it off while autosaving. Mine came up that it was autosaving for a while at one point a few hours ago, but since it has been saving every couple of minutes.

Upgrade to a 750GB/1TB HDD. Its so worth it. You can have everything you ever bought installed.

It's a little late to worry about replacing my PS3's hard drive, I think. I'll tough it out until next year when I buy a PS4. I'm just curious about how big the install is for TLOU. :)

Ok just played the opening already AMAZING.
Truly fantastic story so far, really believable

I
Already almost cried (I'm such a pussy when it come to this stuff)

It's a little late to worry about replacing my PS3's hard drive, I think. I'll tough it out until next year when I buy a PS4. I'm just curious about how big the install is for TLOU. :)

I'm playing the disc version and as far as I know there was no installation, although I'm happy to be proved wrong.

My download said 22 minutes about an hour ago. Now it says 29 minutes. Has anyone run into this? I really don't want to stop the download.

If anyone else runs into the problem where their internet connection is fine but the game stops downloading, I'm here to tell you that it's okay to restart the game/downloader. It'll continue from where it left off. I had spent about three hours downloading the game and it stopped around 58%. I then waited for a little under two hours to see if it would start back up, but I was worried that if I restarted the game there would be no going back.

I'm playing the disc version and as far as I know there was no installation, although I'm happy to be proved wrong.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! The previous ND games didn't have an install - at least not a very obvious one - if memory serves. They may have done a "stealth install" like Fallout 3 PS3 did, though. Copying data to the hard drive while you play to help with load times.

Maybe I'll just free up a bit of extra space anyway, just to be safe. I'm sure there's a few old data installs or old PSN games I don't need anymore.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hints pop up during the game,tips pop up during load screens.
Which would you suggest to keep enabled? Tips are probably telling you how to deal with certain type of situations etc, and hints tell you how to solve puzzles or get out of some situation you find yourself stuck in?

Also, Load Screens? In ND game??

MAX PAYMENT

Is anyone else's download taking way too long? I'm about to last of us in my pants here.

How big is the download? I'll doubt I'll get to at it before work.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! The previous ND games didn't have an install - at least not a very obvious one - if memory serves. They may have done a "stealth install" like Fallout 3 PS3 did, though. Copying data to the hard drive while you play to help with load times.

Maybe I'll just free up a bit of extra space anyway, just to be safe. I'm sure there's a few old data installs or old PSN games I don't need anymore.

There may have been a stealth install, but there was no screen saying 'Press X to install game to your hard drive'.

I can check, give me a few minutes.

Edit: No install data that I can see.

Top Bottom