• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I somehow managed to snag a copy from redbox. Wanted to check the game out before I decide on buying it full price. Pretty excited to play it though, really hope it nails the survival aspect.

Damn it, I started the SP and got past the intro - but then paused the game and noticed I had an autosave bug. Going to have to leave it until it gets patched I think...

I don't know how people can say this game is narrow and linear when the freaking tutorial offers open areas with multiple rooms to flank and attack.

I haven't even played for a hour yet and this game is amazing

Haven't experienced any bugs or glitches.
Edit: shit, Autosave bug

DatDude

Banned
So I just played 2:50 minutes so far.

Impressions.

-Great emotional Intro. Really gives you a whopping punch that very few games have done before.
-Game starts out slooow. But it does give a nice build up
-Joel feels really likeable honestly. So does ellie she doesn't seem annoying.
-Not really digging Tess voice actor. Feels a bit, ehh. Joel and Ellie sound FANTASTIC though
-I didn't really start start appreciating stealth until the demo section (which i never experienced). Honestly, stealth isn't my fortay, but with the clickers, there's just so much tension and fear that stealth really sort of evolves and becomes "fun" in a weird twisted way
-The best part about combat is when you just go all out. When you get spotted, and your like fuck it, make it or break it time, that's when the tension hits it's peak. Every swing of the fist as your health goes barreling down is extremely exhilarating.
-Playing on Hard, still find quite a bit of ammo.
-Enemies go down fairly quickly which I glady appreciate. They never feel like bullet sponges which I hate
-Really love the gamey aspects to this. Health kits, upgrade your stats, upgrade your weapons. All enjoyable stuff that helps create a nice sense of progression in joel
-The enviroment so far is bland as fuck though. Not really digging the boston area all to much.
-Great production values of course.
-Oh yeah, I've died a shit ton. But it's all been my fault. Need to learn better patience.

Yeah a bunch of random thoughts.

Really good so far, a bit slow, but I feel the plot is about to rev up.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This game kind of pisses me off. There is no way in hell a fucking pipe breaks after hitting a person with it 7 times. Same with a fucking bat. I know what they are going for with this, but it is lame.

Tankshell

So I have issues having just booted up the game:

• the initial load screen shows some particles on a black screen, then a loading percentage appears in the bottom right corner, it slowly creeps up, then resets to 0.00% again. It does this multiple times but eventually seems to get there. Probably takes about 4 mins to actually load up the game.
  • I have played to the end of the intro sequence where
    Joel is carrying his daughter up the hill
    , just before the cutscene kicks in where
    the army guy shoots them
    , it goes to a black screen for about 1.5 mins, I can hear audio but nothing else... it then eventually continues to the custscene.

Do other people experience these issues? Or is it a game problem, or a problem with my (brand new) PS3 Slim...?

This game kind of pisses me off. There is no way in hell a fucking pipe breaks after hitting a person with it 7 times. Same with a fucking bat. I know what they are going for with this, but it is lame.

Pipes and bats have been in the Last of Us world for over 20 years without being taken care of. They have to sustain weather and corrosion. Ever held a pipe that was rusted? It breaks down easily.

It fits the setting whether you like or not.

Holy shit I can confirm that the percentage means story progression. 75 % now and 13 hours played...damn. It's unbelievable but the game keeps getting better and better.

Dude take the disc back, none of what you mention is normal.

I actually meant the save issue but someone else just reported a audio-less cutscene

I think my PS3 could have been too hot, I will try again soon.

So I have issues having just booted up the game:

• the initial load screen shows some particles on a black screen, then a loading percentage appears in the bottom right corner, it slowly creeps up, then resets to 0.00% again. It does this multiple times but eventually seems to get there. Probably takes about 4 mins to actually load up the game.
  • I have played to the end of the intro sequence where
    Joel is carrying his daughter up the hill
    , just before the cutscene kicks in where
    the army guy shoots them
    , it goes to a black screen for about 1.5 mins, I can hear audio but nothing else... it then eventually continues to the custscene.

Do other people experience these issues? Or is it a game problem, or a problem with my (brand new) PS3 Slim...?

Yep I had the cutscene issue too, cut to a black screen and the audio kind of glitched or looped in the background and went no further. I had to quit the game because nothing happened for a while.

Also I think the particles and the loading is normal, all ND games load forever at the very start

MAX PAYMENT

I'm not sure what difficulty to pick. If I start out on hard and become too frustrated, can I drop the difficulty without losing progress?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what difficulty to pick. If I start out on hard and become too frustrated, can I drop the difficulty without losing progress?

Thanks.

No, you can not get any trophies when you change difficulty mid-game.

Just try it on hard. It is not nearly as frustrating as you think it would be. Just take it slow.

EDIT: Ah sorry, forgot to mention that you of course do not lose progress.

Same, a character moved his mouth and nothing came out of it :/ then his character model disappeared

Didn't have any problems until this cutscene. Nothing else happened though, there was just no sound... you could see everything etc but still... had to look it up on youtube cause I couldnt backtrack. Little annoying. Hope nothign else happens.

MAX PAYMENT

Didn't have any problems until this cutscene. Nothing else happened though, there was just no sound... you could see everything etc but still... had to look it up on youtube cause I couldnt backtrack. Little annoying. Hope nothign else happens.

Are the people experiencing problems the ones that are downloading and playing at the same time? I'd imagine if you caught up to the download, problems would occur.

mxgt

Banned
After playing 3 hours I can't see anything special about the AI yet

Often they'll flash a light on or look directly at Ellie or Tess and do nothing, completely kills the immersion.

Also, blocked stairwells: the game

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
About to start a new game. What should I disable?

1. Game Hints
  2. Strategic Tips
  3. Listen Mode
  4. Melee Prompts
  5. Tag Popups

Is anything vital or can I disable them all?

Are the people experiencing problems the ones that are downloading and playing at the same time? I'd imagine if you caught up to the download, problems would occur.

Mine is a retail copy and I got the problem

About to start a new game. What should I disable?

1. Game Hints
  2. Strategic Tips
  3. Listen Mode
  4. Melee Prompts
  5. Tag Popups

Is anything vital or can I disable them all?

Keep on melee prompts or you could end up failing some QTE sections. I have everything else off

Surprised people are noticing so many framerate issues, perhaps I just turn off my brain when using a console compared to when I play on my PC at 4K with framerate counters running :D

Only area where I've noticed it constantly is when I've shot someone up close with a shotgun and dismembered them. It drops to like 5 FPS for a second or two.

The gunplay in this game is great though, it just feels incredibly dangerous with the sound work and power of bullets made apparent by the damage modeling. I actually gasped a bit when I got the rifle and shot at someone and had their face just come off. It's grisy but it really goes a long way towards making things tense and weighty.

As for crashes and other assorted technical issues: the only thing I've encountered is the autosave glitch once. Luckily I was so eager to replay the sequence I noticed it in(this was before the thread on it) that I quit out to the XMB. Did lose about 30 mintues of progress though.

After playing 3 hours I can't see anything special about the AI yet

Often they'll flash a light on or look directly at Ellie or Tess and do nothing, completely kills the immersion.

Also, blocked stairwells: the game

Yeah, the AI seems like your typical tunnel visioned audio impaired AI that has plagued nearly all stealth games since the dawn of time.

Auskeek

arrghhhh!!

So I was trying to avoid spoilers about this game until I play it later in the year. I go on Youtube, and BAM right there IGN posts a video titled ENDING -
Firefly Lab

WHAT THE HELL, damnit IGN.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just finished it, second half is way better but the ending was a huge letdown for me.

arrghhhh!!

So I was trying to avoid spoilers about this game until I play it later in the year. I go on Youtube, and BAM right there IGN posts a video titled ENDING -
Firefly Lab

WHAT THE HELL, damnit IGN.

If you're that sensitive to spoilers why the fuck did you go near youtube anyway?

Tankshell

Yep I had the cutscene issue too, cut to a black screen and the audio kind of glitched or looped in the background and went no further. I had to quit the game because nothing happened for a while.

Also I think the particles and the loading is normal, all ND games load forever at the very start

Ok, good (in a bad way) to know other people have this issue too, as it might suggest it IS the game and not my PS3 on the blink.

The loading times when starting the game are quite normal.

The black screen? I would get a new copy and see if that works.

Regarding the loading times being normal at the start of the game, does everyone else get the percentage thing resetting back to 0.00% and starting over while you wait? This was really what was bothering me more than the total time I had to wait... as it might indicate the PS3 is having trouble reading the disc and is starting over and over again. I have checked my disc, it looks completely fine (no scratches or anything), can't see how swapping the physical copy would help really.

No, boxed copy here, and brand new PS3 Slim (not super slim).

Regarding the loading times being normal at the start of the game, does everyone else get the percentage thing resetting back to 0.00 and starting over while you wait? This was really what was bothering me more than the total time I had to wait... as it might indicate the PS3 is having trouble reading the disc and is starting over and over again..

Yeah that happened to me too, don't know if it's normal or not

Woah. I'm up to the part from the E3 demo. I had this one guy isolated in a room. He spotted me and ducked for cover. I was waiting for him to pop his head up so I could shoot, but he ran instead. I chased after him, but before I could catch up he picked up something from his dead buddy (a gun, ammo?) and spun around and shot me. Then Ellie said "motherfucker!" and threw a brick at him. I was able to grab and knock him out. It really took me by surprise how that small bit played out.

This game is so great. It starts off a little slow, but it finds a rhythm. So good.

Auskeek

If you're that sensitive to spoilers why the fuck did you go near youtube anyway?

I use Youtube almost every day and I'm also subscribed to IGN, it's not like I was actively looking for the game.

In any case, it's discourteous of them to label the video like that. I don't know how much it spoils exactly but hopefully I can forget it before I start my playthrough.

It's unfortunate but when talking about the AI people need to act like Tess and Ellie don't exist while sneaking around. As others has mentioned Naughty Dog purposely made them invisible to enemies while in stealth mode to avoid having them setting off alarms constantly. I've been really lucky so far in that outside of one segment I haven't had either of them do immersion breaking things.

I'm at 5 hours 45 minutes and 42% on hard. Looked because I noticed a lot of people comparing scores. Surprised the percentage is so high though, I'm only at the beginning of chapter 4 of

I use Youtube almost every day and I'm also subscribed to IGN, it's not like I was actively looking for the game.

In any case, it's discourteous of them to label the video like that. I don't know how much it spoils exactly but hopefully I can forget it before I start my playthrough.

That is a pretty dumb move on their part. Then again they are IGNorant

I'm at the section where
Joel and Tess have started smuggling Ellie out,
. I must say that for a game that's running on eight year old hardware it looks fantastic, ok there's the occasional dip in frame rate but I'm impressed, particularly with the lighting and animation. This is coming from someone who prefers PC gaming to consoles.

Salz01

So I played the demo, and wasn't all that into it. Didnt click for me. Does it get better? Or is pretty much more of the same over and over again?

cormack12

Gold Member
Fuming, got the autosave glitch after the patch - just lost three hours. Going to have to come back to it in a few days now. Can't stomach playing through the same storyline again. What a waste.

ttocs

So I played the demo, and wasn't all that into it. Didnt click for me. Does it get better? Or is pretty much more of the same over and over again?

Are you into stories in games? Because that's going to be a big draw for this game. The character interactions, the mood, the ambiance, etc. You can't get that from a demo, so if that is up your alley, go for it. If not, the gameplay in the demo is what you should expect so maybe you should move on?

I'm at the section where
Joel and Tess have started smuggling Ellie out,
. I must say that for a game that's running on eight year old hardware it looks fantastic, ok there's the occasional dip in frame rate but I'm impressed, particularly with the lighting and animation. This is coming from someone who prefers PC gaming to consoles.

Really? before the game crapped out on me I thought it looked decent but not great. textures are really low res and there are jaggies all over the place. lighting is nice but the framerate does drop noticeably at times.

Then again this is one of the first PS3 games I've played or seen after 2 straight years of PC only gaming

anddo0

What is a "pulse profile?" I have a Pulse Headset and never heard of that before.

The headset can be upgraded at anytime with new profiles using the app. The app is free on the PSstore.

I can't imagine playing the game any other way. If you own a gaming headset, this game puts them to good use.

Not downloading anything in the background. Physical copy. Super slim PS3 since December.

Oh and I've also experience this bug where he or the game fast forwards me to the place where I'm supposed to be. I was running through this building heading for this door... a second later it looked like the game fastforwarded me to it in 1 second. Very weird.

Really? before the game crapped out on me I thought it looked decent but not great. textures are really low res and there are jaggies all over the place. lighting is nice but the framerate does drop noticeably at times.

Then again this is one of the first PS3 games I've played or seen after 2 straight years of PC only gaming

Yeah, I'm not saying that it's the best looking game ever but when you take into account how old the hardware is it does put it into perspective.

Although I am now sat here imagining what it'd look like on my PC.

Yeah, I'm not saying that it's the best looking game ever but when you take into account how old the hardware is it does put it into perspective.

Although I am now sat here imagining what it'd look like on my PC.

It would look fucking nuts on a PC. Kind of a shame to see the game so limited. I can only imagine what higher res assets would have done for it. Would increase immersion ten fold for me

Top Bottom