• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Isn't that like one square inch per pixel?

I thought it was like 300 pixels per inch? Im kind of ignorant when it comes to this. I know it all depends on resolution as well.

Thanks to gaf i jumped in and bought an optoma hd22 1080p projector that goes up to 330 inches but i have a 120 inch screen and HD games look beautiful on it. I now game strictly on my projector. Have had it 6 months and havent had a problem

Loudninja

Which would you suggest to keep enabled? Tips are probably telling you how to deal with certain type of situations etc, and hints tell you how to solve puzzles or get out of some situation you find yourself stuck in?

Also, Load Screens? In ND game??
Yeah from what I played of the demo, tips pop up with you used that play last 1 minute or so so option.

If you dont like those types of hints or whatever turn it off.

MAX PAYMENT

I thought it was like 300 pixels per inch? Im kind of ignorant when it comes to this. I know it all depends on resolution as well.

Thanks to gaf i jumped in and bought an optoma hd22 1080p projector that goes up to 330 inches but i have a 120 inch screen and HD games look beautiful on it. I now game strictly on my projector. Have had it 6 months and havent had a problem
I was making a joke. Lol

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! The previous ND games didn't have an install - at least not a very obvious one - if memory serves. They may have done a "stealth install" like Fallout 3 PS3 did, though. Copying data to the hard drive while you play to help with load times.

Maybe I'll just free up a bit of extra space anyway, just to be safe. I'm sure there's a few old data installs or old PSN games I don't need anymore.

Disc version too, no install as far as i could tell.

Got my copy this morning. Went to two different Targets, as the first one was clueless about the game and couldn't find any in stock. Regardless, I essentially saved $9 by doing the $1 game reservation promo they've got this week, plus I saved 5% with my Target Red Card, so it was only a little over $50 with tax.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! The previous ND games didn't have an install - at least not a very obvious one - if memory serves. They may have done a "stealth install" like Fallout 3 PS3 did, though. Copying data to the hard drive while you play to help with load times.

Maybe I'll just free up a bit of extra space anyway, just to be safe. I'm sure there's a few old data installs or old PSN games I don't need anymore.

I was making a joke. Lol

lol, oh sorry! duhhhhhhhhh!!!! hahaha (it flew right past me)

In anycase love the projector, if you havent invested in one it has its pros for gaming.

Also for some good TLOU mp games add me my sn is kenjovani

This multiplayer is pretty close to fantastic. I just think that they could have done a few simple things to make the experience better. For example, there are gestures that you can unlock by playing the game, but these gestures serve as nothing more than taunts. ND should have made it so that the gestures mean something. The game is about stealth and teamwork, but if I don't have a mic or a headset, I can't really do much to help out my team. ND could have made the gestures work as a kind of communication. Have a gesture for "Follow me" or a gesture for "Hold your position" or a gesture for "enemy spotted"
(MGO did a wonderful job of allowing for mic-less communication, but MGO is a perfect MP game, so we can't go there)

Also I would have liked more clothing options for the customization and a god damn wave survival mode. (I mean really, what the fuck?)

Jesus, IGN has ZERO class. They literally revealed the ending CHAPTER on YOUTUBE. Right when the game just CAME OUT. I mean, COME THE FUCK ON!!

UGH. Disgusting.

Some more about MP:
- Being the last man standing is so intense. Especially both teams are down to one and then you're stalking eachother. Of course my team must have been cursing me out. I was the last guy, was crouched in a room. Four other guys hunting me and I'm just hiding there

And then I get shivved

- The meta game is cool. Adds context and urgency to your matches

- Adding crafting to the MP was brilliant. It just fits and makes for some tense moments. Like two guys were in room with me, I was behind a couch with no bullets. They don't know I'm there but I need to get out. So I'm crafting a smoke bomb as they're getting closer...

- The MP definitely leans towards team play. Going solo like in CoD is just stupid and makes you easy prey, especially when there are no respawns. Then if you die, you're hurting your entire team

-

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Same, a character moved his mouth and nothing came out of it :/ then his character model disappeared
If anything this convinces me further that most if not all cutscenes are realtime unlike the Uncharted games (save for the Vita title).

It would look fucking nuts on a PC. Kind of a shame to see the game so limited. I can only imagine what higher res assets would have done for it. Would increase immersion ten fold for me
The assets in the game seem pretty detailed to me, overall, but are somewhat obscured by the lower resolution and (especially) lack of AF. Otherwise good textures become a mess from certain angles and distances without AF. Furthermore, there have been a number of moments where texture streaming rears its head giving the impression of lower resolution textures.

The game has fantastic SSAO and lighting, however, which help build a subtle but very cohesive world. It really would benefit greatly from running on a PS4 (no point in even talking PC as that would not happen).

So I'm having trouble with the second big guy enemy. Any tips? Do I really have to dump all my bullets into him? This is the worst part of the game so far. But I may be missing something on how to defeat him.

Dr Dogg

I can never find a pair of scissors when I need them but after the apocalypse...

Hahaha I've been having a similar quandary with CRT tv's. Don't know if I've missed something in the story as to what timeframe this has gone off but every time I've seen a tv it's a massive beast.

Fistwell

Hey is this game known to burn PS3's? Was playing through the intro and BOOM fan goes ballistic for 1/2 a sec, then system shuts itself down. Turned it back on, berates me for not turning it off properly, it's now checking files integrity. Do I smell YLOD or some such?

netBuff

Multiplayer is where it's at yo. Setting traps shooting people with upgraded 9mm. Having 3 perks at max level. Listening to mofos looking for you shiv em in the back . Crafting lvl3 is the best.

I've only played a bit so far, and haven't understood all the mechanics yet: But multiplayer seems very interesting and fun so far. It has the excitement factor other competitive games lack, this seems great!

anddo0

How did the terrible loading times not get exposed in reviews?
Holy crap they're bad. Loading a game from boot takes almost 2mins, maybe more.

Ok this is either a massive glitch or i'm just being stupid.

I can't seem to pick up health packs as it says 'full' everytime I try. Yet there are no health packs showing on my item wheel when i press the D-pad.

Is there another screen where you have to equip them or is this another glitch? It's annoying as I've already had to restart once due to the auto-save error.

Can't wait to pick this game up later, I've been hyped all day. I really need a good game to play after I got 2 codes for a beta and both crapping on me. I need something to bring me back up today.

Ok this is either a massive glitch or i'm just being stupid.

I can't seem to pick up health packs as it says 'full' everytime I try. Yet there are no health packs showing on my item wheel when i press the D-pad.

Is there another screen where you have to equip them or is this another glitch? It's annoying as I've already had to restart once due to the auto-save error.

Oh the chocolate bars?

I thought that was dumb too. Rations in short supply, but won't pick up snack bars...

antitrop

Don't subscribe to IGN. I made the mistake once, regretted the spam in my subscriptions.
Ya, they need to have multiple channels to better organize their content.

Dumping every single video they produce into 1 YouTube channel makes it cluttered and completely worthless to subscribe to.

Cheska

You know what, I was spot on with this earlier. Take everything like this somewhere else.

Dude why are you even still bringing this up? It just seems like you instigating at this point.
Just sit back and enjoy the game :)

Also, you guys are all scaring me with this autosave bug. Are you guys quitting and then restarting only to find your progress was lost?

r.gun

Neo Member
How did the terrible loading times not get exposed in reviews?
Holy crap they're bad. Loading a game from boot takes almost 2mins, maybe more.

It only has one initial load time then none. I played the whole game without turning off my PS3 - never saw any loading except for that one time.

Oh the chocolate bars?

I thought that was dumb too. Rations in short supply, but won't pick up snack bars...

No any health kits - I don't have any in my inventory it seems. I just have a slot for an object and one for a gun. There are no health items there. But can you go into the back-pack to equip them to the inventory selector.

Otherwise it's just broken. Really appreciate any help I can get with this.

EDIT - Scratch that it's working now, maybe a glitch.

Dude why are you even still bringing this up? It just seems like you instigating at this point.
Just sit back and enjoy the game :)

Also, you guys are all scaring me with this autosave bug. Are you guys quitting and then restarting only to find your progress was lost?
my advice is it don't start the game until ND Patches It.

MadD4mon

Had the game since yesterday and just played through the final chapter. The overall game is fantastic despite some technical hickups like the autosave glitch. Fortunately it hit me only once. :)

Now for some multiplayer...

Dynedom

Only the initial load takes a while, presumably because it's including trophy installs.

I noticed this as well. The first ever load took almost a minute. After that, the subsequent loads have been fine.

I mentioned that some checkpoint restarts have longer load times than other, which is weird. It might just be my PS3 though. Old phat model has been humming like crazy.

Top Bottom