• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I'm coming off playing Grid 2 at max on my PC too. That doesn't mean you bring those expectations to a high end console game running 8 year old hardware.

I dont expect anything near to what I get on my PC. I dont think the game looks bad just wrong. The filter and motion blur makes everything look really odd and cartoon like. I am guessing its implemented to hide the shortcomings but I just simply don't like it.

i'm afraid.
I played Unchrted 3 with the inferior Day 1 controls. never managed to replay it with the bette ones.

I'm 6 hrs in. no way I can go back to the intro, however good it was.

It was only a big enough chunk lost to make me wrap up my release night marathon. Sizable but not the worst.

Yeah thats what I think as well, I find it hard to go back to 720p 30fps coming from 4k 60fps 8x SGSSAA and all that malarkey. I guess my account is more useful to the PC gamers here considering it.
I mean if I had the $$ and time, I'd probably get into PC gaming too. But consoles are just cheaper and more convenient IMO. Of course compared to what's possible on a maxed out PC, TLOU is going to look kind of crappy

But compared to what's been done on consoles, it's the same impact that Crysis had when it released. For us, this is practically next-gen stuff

leng jai

I dont expect anything near to what I get on my PC. I dont think the game looks bad just wrong. The filter and motion blur makes everything look really odd and cartoon like. I am guessing its implemented to hide the shortcomings but I just simply don't like it.

You just don't seem to have much experience with console games it seems as the things you're complaining about are pretty standard. Don't play Halo Reach or Fable 3 or their motion blur cause you vomit excessively.

Valkie

Neo Member
Just a word of warning, I think I experienced a bug where the autosave feature gets stuck. Check on it from time to time to see if it is perpetually "Autosaving".

I lost about 2 hours of progress and now Im totally taken out of it.

I have experienced this several times as well... to the point where I am unable to progress the story line without restarting to wherever it saved before the glitch, as scripted events aren't triggered.

Disappointing and ruining the flow of the story.

I mean if I had the $$ and time, I'd probably get into PC gaming too. But consoles are just cheaper and more convenient IMO. Of course compared to what's possible maxed out PC, TLOU is going to look kind of crappy

But compared to what's been done on consoles, it's the same impact that Crysis had when it released. For us, this is practically next-gen stuff

I don't buy the money thing for PC gaming its a lot cheaper in the long run gaming on the PC. Especially for the freedom you get, I consider the up front payment worth it. I don't know US Prices but I can build a £500-£600 PC in a about 2-3 hours have the OS and everything updated finished at the end of the day internet and such pending. Consoles on the whole are more convenient yes but take a few hours out to learn about certain things and it all clicks into place.

I guess I am bias in the fact that PC hardware is a hobby/career choice for me but it just makes more sense to me.

But we have enough console vs PC type so stuff so please don't take this as that type of bragging :p

Vitanimus

Man this game is so tense. I've just gotten to the point where
you learn Ellie was bit 3 weeks ago, and you're escaping from the military. The part where you hid behind the tank and have to distract them was hard, and I'm pretty sure I only got past it because of a fluke, but man.

The lighting in the game is also excellent.

You just don't seem to have much experience with console games it seems as the things you're complaining about are pretty standard. Don't play Halo Reach or Fable 3 or their motion blur cause you vomit excessively.

I only really managed to start PC gaming 2011 September time (16th birthday) so I could finally afford to buy my PC parts. Before that even though I played a lot of RTS' and such on my now old old old PC I was pretty much a console gamer. I played every big release so I have experience yes. I mean MGR was the first console game I had bought since finally building my PC and I was impressed at how it held up. I mean the textures where god awful but it was smooth and looked good in motion, whereas TLOU doesn't (brutal melee kills aside).

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Hardcore, hardened gamer here but holy hell, what a start. 10 minutes in and I was welling up.

I was too, but I think it was also combined with tears of joy after waiting for this game for so long then the reviews coming out and finally getting to play it.

Atleast that is what I am telling myself!

Angst

I dont really care about the texture pop in and what have you but the motion blur and filter are just plain ugly. I am a PC gamer and I always turn off motion blur or set it to low on this the slightest movement will cause motion blur and the blur is highlighted by the ugly filter all compiling into what looks like a watercolour painting.

When I play on PC I turn on DOF, motion blur, grain filters and all the eye candy the developer can throw at me. As long as the FPS is above 30 I'm happy.

SimonM7

Still just says:

The content is not available before the start date. (8002951E)

I'm skimming the thread and trying my best to avoid spoilers, so sorry for asking this but did you solve this problem? I have the same thing. When it tried to charge me initially I didn't have auto funding on, but I changed that immediately after and it hasn't tried to charge me again. Can't install it. So frustrating. :(

Just started the game and there are glitches and bugs everywhere. I've had character models disappear or teleport across screen and I've had characters mouths move with no audio coming out. the intro then went to a blank screen and didn't go any further so had to quit the game

Anyone else have this?

I'm about 7 hours in now and am pretty disappointed. It's tedious and annoying just like Uncharted 3 was. The graphics are fantastic and the story is pretty standard zombie fare so far.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Really impressed thus far. The opening was as spectacular as I had heard and really demonstrates the power of an interactive medium. Sure, the actual gameplay at that point amounted to little more than walking around, but the fact that you felt in control and a part of the experience really enhanced it. It felt far more terrifying than anything you could achieve in a film.

Only disappointment thus far is the framerate. While it does seem to be improving, it certainly hasn't been all that stable. Uncharted 2 and 3 both ran much more consistently than this. Also, some of the visual decisions appear to be going beyond the limits of what they could achieve on PS3. The lighting is extremely nice, for instance, but is compromised by the lower resolution and lack of AF more so than it was in Uncharted. I think it's the more nuanced color palette. These types of visuals demand better image quality. Still, considering the hardware, it's damn impressive.

I'll have to run the cinemas through a capture card and take a closer look, but it's genuinely hard to tell if they are using pre-rendered videos ala Uncharted. Unlike Uncharted all of the cinemas here have the same lesser image quality as the game (jaggies, lack of AF, etc) and I'm unable to spot compression artifacts. However, if they are simply using very high quality video and designed them to more closely resemble the game I could be tricked here. The performance is always perfect in cinema sequences, however, which makes me wonder. Then again, RE6 also worked in this fashion with beautiful cinemas running at a solid 30 fps in realtime alongside the rather choppy gameplay (gameplay which ran much slower than The Last of Us, I should note).

I dont really care about the texture pop in and what have you but the motion blur and filter are just plain ugly. I am a PC gamer and I always turn off motion blur or set it to low on this the slightest movement will cause motion blur and the blur is highlighted by the ugly filter all compiling into what looks like a watercolour painting.
I could not possibly disagree more. I absolutely hate the look of games without post processing. It adds so much to the visual quality. Without such effects even games such as Crysis 3 wind up looking rather ho-hum.

I'm sure divided opinions will continue to exist for both areas, though. It amazes me I see people talking about PC graphics and then present screens with all of the post processing disabled (which looks unattractive and unimpressive to me). Whatever works, though.

I am a PC gamer and I always turn off motion blur or set it to low on this the slightest movement will cause motion blur and the blur is highlighted by the ugly filter all compiling into what looks like a watercolour painting.

So am I, do I need to tell you that console games look worse and don't have adjustable graphics settings? Come on man. I see what you mean but next time explain instead of just saying "it looks awful" (which is still ridiculous because the art direction is fantastic and the attention to detail and animation of the characters are in a league of their own.)

Also, to the person that said MGR looks better, give me a break man, too much is too much.

03sho

I'm still quite early on in the game and playing on normal difficulty. Had quite a few moments when an enemy walks right in front of Tess and sees her blatantly running and what not and the ai enemy does nothing.

Really impressed thus far. The opening was as spectacular as I had heard and really demonstrates the power of an interactive medium. Sure, the actual gameplay at that point amounted to little more than walking around, but the fact that you felt in control and a part of the experience really enhanced it. It felt far more terrifying than anything you could achieve in a film.

Only disappointment thus far is the framerate. While it does seem to be improving, it certainly hasn't been all that stable. Uncharted 2 and 3 both ran much more consistently than this. Also, some of the visual decisions appear to be going beyond the limits of what they could achieve on PS3. The lighting is extremely nice, for instance, but is compromised by the lower resolution and lack of AF more so than it was in Uncharted. I think it's the more nuanced color palette. These types of visuals demand better image quality. Still, considering the hardware, it's damn impressive.

I could not possibly disagree more. I absolutely hate the look of games without post processing. It adds so much to the visual quality. Without such effects even games such as Crysis 3 wind up looking rather ho-hum.

I'm sure divided opinions will continue to exist for both areas, though. It amazes me I see people talking about PC graphics and then present screens with all of the post processing disabled (which looks unattractive and unimpressive to me). Whatever works, though.

I dont have anything against post processing when its done right, TLOU is clearly done to such an extent to hide all the cracks and it shows in the sheer intensity of the effect. Whereas in Crysis it used as one of the many tools in the box to enhance the look of the game.

Not sure it's been asked but can you replicate the E3 demo if you wanted to?
Like the shotgun scene?

Also I won't be able to play this game for a few months with work obligations so I love reading everyone's impressions here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I dont have anything against post processing when its done right, TLOU is clearly done to such an extent to hide all the cracks and it shows in the sheer intensity of the effect. Whereas in Crysis it used as one of the many tools in the box to enhance the look of the game.
You're not wrong, but I actually think it looks really good in The Last of Us as well. I do not wish to see that change here.

So am I, do I need to tell you that console games look worse and don't have adjustable graphics settings? Come on man. I see what you mean but next time explain instead of just saying "it looks awful" (which is still ridiculous because the art direction is fantastic and the attention to detail and animation of the characters are in a league of their own.)

Also, to the person that said MGR looks better, give me a break man, too much is too much.

I would say that is pretty subjective, I honestly think MGR looks better (I said that) than TLOU because it is a lot smoother. MGR knew the limitations and dialed back on the IQ for the sake of gameplay whereas TLOU pushes the hardware too much and creates a less tight control scheme.

There is a reason Next gen is pushing for 60fps at 1080p.

Am I the only one having game breaking issues? :(

In the opening
Tommy disappeared when you hand him the gun, then he spoke in a cutscene and no audio came out, then after he holds the door for you to escape the game cut to black instead of a cutscene with looping audio and I had to quit to change it :/

Fantastic so far. About 2 1/2 hours in. If you've played and feel like joining in on my adventure, by all means join me in the chat of this stream which might as well be a poopsock adventure, as it's 0247 and I'm 3 redbulls deep.

Andrew.

Banned
Sucks about that save bug, but hopefully Arne hears our cries.

Im kinda shaky on starting now, but hopefully disabling the autosaves works.

ttocs

I can't wait to pick this up after work. So glad this came out on a Friday instead of a Tuesday so I can spend more time playing and not have to worry about work in the AM.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Not sure it's been asked but can you replicate the E3 demo if you wanted to?
Like the shotgun scene?

Also I won't be able to play this game for a few months with work obligations so I love reading everyone's impressions here.
tumblr_mldfnfG11y1snwhhso1_500.gif

Human enemies will beg for their lives just like in the E3 demo if you take hostage of them and then let them break free. Once they break free and you knock them back to the ground they beg for their life just like that dude in the demo.

ttocs

How is everyone enjoying the story so far (no spoilers!)? Is it living up to it's reputation and keep you on the edge of your seat?

Am I the only one having game breaking issues? :(

In the opening
Tommy disappeared when you hand him the gun, then he spoke in a cutscene and no audio came out, then after he holds the door for you to escape the game cut to black instead of a cutscene with looping audio and I had to quit to change it :/

I would say that is pretty subjective, I honestly think MGR looks better (I said that) than TLOU because it is a lot smoother. MGR knew the limitations and dialed back on the IQ for the sake of gameplay whereas TLOU pushes the hardware too much and creates a less tight control scheme.

There is a reason Next gen is pushing for 60fps at 1080p.

If you're taking frame-rate into account then yeah, it's debatable.
Anyway, let's get back on track.

Loomba

How is everyone enjoying the story so far (no spoilers!)? Is it living up to it's reputation and keep you on the edge of your seat?

Pretty much everything I wanted and expected in the game. Bar a few technical issues it's my personal GOTG.

Human enemies will beg for their lives just like in the E3 demo if you take hostage of them and then let them break free. Once they break free and you knock them back to the ground they beg for their life just like that dude in the demo.

Nice.
Can you have a shotgun struggle and stuff when someone is close by while you are hiding?

-Amon-

Yeah thats what I think as well, I find it hard to go back to 720p 30fps coming from 4k 60fps 8x SGSSAA and all that malarkey. I guess my account is more useful to the PC gamers here considering it.

It would be better to judge a game's graphics considering the hardware it's running on ..

Top Bottom