• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
zxqws3.jpg

Squenix Japan Page
Squenix USA Page

Release Dates
Xbox 360
November 20, 2008
PlayStation 3
¿Never?
Microsoft Windows
Who cares?

Quotes taken liberously from GAF and Wikipedia.

Characters
Protagonists
Rush Sykes
Voiced by: Johnny Yong Bosch, Kenji Nojima
He is an 18-year-old swordsman and the main protagonist, who is designed primarily for fans of traditional Japanese role-playing games.
nnqfc1.jpg

Antagonists
The Conqueror
Voiced by: Christopher Sabat, Ryutaro Ohtomo
He is an older man with long silver hair and crimson clothes, and is designed to appeal to Western gamers.
a4as1j.jpg

Story
The Last Remnant is set in a fictional world featuring a number of distinct humanoid races; the Mitras, most human in appearance, the Yamas, strong fish-like people, the Qsitis, small reptilians, and the Sovannis, feline people with four arms and a rabbit-like creature( the name of this creature is currently unknown). Blah, blah, blah remnants, blah, blah, LET'S GO TURN BASED BATTLES WOO! The story of the game revolves around "remnants", mysterious and coveted ancient artifacts of varying shapes and sizes which possess magic powers and which have been the cause of several wars throughout the game's history

Gameplay
TheLastRemnant.jpg

The Last Remnant will feature a brand new battle system labelled by Hiroshi Takai (director) as a "Turn-burst, command-based system using symbol encounters." Some have described this as "fuck awesome". There will be no random encounters, which is unfortunate. It will also contain quick time events, sequences where the player must press a combination of buttons with a correct timing to defeat enemies.
In addition to the main character, the player's team (called a "Union") is composed of a number of soldiers whose skills vary according to different parameters. One parameter is the "morale" bar, which is affected by the events in battle and affects the way characters perform in battle. Battles can involve up to 70 enemies at once and will be at the core of the gameplay. Nobuyuki Ueda has commented on the battle system, claiming that it is "much deeper than the few seconds it received in the movie". Additionally, a high number of quests are expected.

Reviews
Famitsu 10/10/9/9 (¥3800万/40)
Game Informer - 7 (Second Opinion - 6)
OXM - 7
Penis Lord Weekly - 9/10

GAF Quotes
Aeana said:
TLR has Johnny Yong Bosch... :(
N30RYU said:
I loved Squaresoft before joining Enix, but this game is far inferior than Lost Odyssey in every way.
Jonnyram said:
Macstorm said:
It doesn't use gambits as much as the game has preset actions that units will perform based on what overall command you give.

Example 1: You select "All out attack."

Your units do something similar to the following:
Unit 1: Attack
Unit 2: Special attack skill
Unit 3: Special attack skill
Unit 4: Special attack skill

Example 2: You select "Watch your HP."

Your units do something similar to:
Unit 1: Attack
Unit 2: Healing Item
Unit 3: Attack
Unit 4: Healing spell

Example 3: You select "Recover your HP." This is slightly different than above, as you back out of combat deadlock, if you're in one, and cannot attack that turn. Though you can BE attacked yourself.

Your units do something like:
Unit 1: Standby
Unit 2: Healing Item
Unit 3: Standby
Unit 4: Healing spell

You don't get to select the specific commands, just general ones based on the unit types in the union (party).

Also, this game is not easy.

My slowly ongoing blog of TLR.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I can't imagine a new thread could turn out any worse than this current one.
I say go for it.
Seiken said:
RevenantKioku said:
Yes, oh yes, all over my face!

So yeah, the only new game this holiday season that interests me in the slightest. I am pumped! Just gotta pick up my copy tomorrow.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Question mark added so I don't confuse anyone.

B.K.

So The Conqueror is still in the game? Haven't seen him in so long that I assumed he'd been removed. Is he still playable, like they originally planned?

-Kh-

Banned
The lack of dual audio on SE games disgusts me.

My copy should be shipped tomorrow by Amazon.co.uk.

Lebron

:lol @ release dates and Gaf quotes

With that said, I'll probably try and Gamefly it next week to play over Thanksgiving break.

Edit: actually, I'll probably give it a go next year. I don't have the time. Hope impressions are good though

Yaweee

I wish all first posts were that well made.

------

The worst part about waiting for the ports is that you have to wait a few extra months after the port is released for the price to crater to the same levels as the 360 version.

navi001

Neo Member
I skip fable 2, fallout 3, and Gears 2 for The last Remnant/ Ethernal Poison. You better be good. umm can I play with the female in the second picture >_>/?

I am really getting hyped about TLR. More Quasi-SaGa please!

B.K. said:
So The Conqueror is still in the game? Haven't seen him in so long that I assumed he'd been removed. Is he still playable, like they originally planned?

I thought that the conqueror being playable was just chalked up to a poor translation or something. But he is definitely still in the game.

Aeana

B.K. said:

He's a villain, as far as I know.

Monocle

Jonsoncao said:
:D preordered mine @amazon for the price
Same. The price is the sole reason I chose to pick it up so early. Can't complain about the timing, though. I'm nearly finished with Lost Odyssey so I'll soon have need of game to fill the RPG-shaped hole in my life. Hope it turns out decent.

RevenantKioku

Well, I just would like to say I am man enough to pay over $70USD for this game.

RevenantKioku

KTallguy said:
Not confusing at all :lol

I'm still cautiously optimistic.
Upside down question mark added for that Spanish feel.
Olé~

RevenantKioku

duckroll said:
Should be getting it tomorrow. I can't wait! Hyped for next-gen SaGa! :D
I'm so sad I don't really have a moment to play until maybe Friday after I finish my WiiFit. I could try not sleeping tomorrow night!

zoku88

a4as1j.jpg

This picture always catches me off-guard.

If this games ends up decent, I'll prolly get the PC version, since it may come out sooner than the PS3 ver?

RevenantKioku

Hey, I love Mej, but I remember him and me being like, the only people playing in the Deep Labyrinth thread, and for fuck's sake he got further in that game than me.

Aeana

RevenantKioku said:
Hey, I love Mej, but I remember him and me being like, the only people playing in the Deep Labyrinth thread, and for fuck's sake he got further in that game than me.

I was there... and I beat both scenarios. :\

p3tran

Banned
/raises eyebrow with famitsu very high score

I feel disturbance in the force. maybe this game is not as good as it should have been.

Kyoufu

Best OP ever. I will take random quotes over 30 pages of gloss any day.

Not sure if I'm going to buy this despite the towns/interfaces looking very similar to FFXII. Will wait for impressions I suppose.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I think I'm going to pick this up and it'll be the last game I buy for a while.

I have way too many titles in my backlog now and it should last me well into Feb.

When is this game released? 11/20?

Top Bottom