• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

batbeg

Blackjack said:
Anyone know what the text is like on an SDTV? I am REALLY liking what I hear about this game, but I have a small-ish SDTV, and so this is always a concern for me.

For reference, I also own Fable 2, Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Eternal Sonata, and had no major problem with them, although certain things in them could be hard to make out.

It's more difficult to read than Infinite Undiscovery, but mostly it's unimportant things which you don't need to see in the battle menus (took me forever to see the "M", or to know that enemy unions have dots representing their numbers). I haven't had any significant problems reading anything besides those, though.

Not sure how big my tv is though, maybe about 21"?

alanias

Add another vote for awesome game. It's got technical problems, but I love all the gameplay aspects so far. Picked it up on a whim and I'm glad I did. BUY THIS GAME!

chespace said:
Holy shit, has anyone beaten the Balterossa quest where you have to fight Mantrasyklo (this huge black dragon) in the canyon?

I tried it back when I was weaker and got completely raped, so I decided to come back after I've gotten more party members and feel a bit more badass (at battle rank 30 now).

Uhhh, no. I was doing fine for a while, and then the dragon pulls out "Vulcan Breath" and kills MY ENTIRE PARTY in one shot after I spent the last 20 minutes whittling him down to 3/4ths of his health. :lol

Yeah.

I JUST got murdered this exact way. My BR is 39 too, thought I could take him but...definitely no. Man, those black crows in the desert are murder too.

How many achievements do you guys have so far? I only have 4 and yet have done a ton of shit...

The text is somewhat small/blurry on a SDTV, but it doesn't render the game unplayable. I can still read almost everything. It isn't as bad as some games such as Dead Rising and Viva Pinata.

Ok stop the presses.

This game has two totally retarded secret achievements.

ウロボロスの加護 ラッシュを戦闘中一度も失うことなくクリア 200
見殺しの英雄 「救助」コマンドを一度も使うことなくクリア 200

Divine protection of Uroboros Beat the game without allowing Rush to die once
Sacrifice Hero Beat the game without using the "save other party" command once

UMMMMMMMM. Ok, so there's 400 points I will never bother to get. Sorry that shit is lame as fuck.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
adversesolutions said:
Ok stop the presses.

UMMMMMMMM. Ok, so there's 400 points I will never bother to get. Sorry that shit is lame as fuck.

:lol

The sad thing is that you know there will be fuckers out there who will get these achievements. :(

Raide

I ordered yesterday from Amazon at that bargain £17.99 price. :D

While it was not on my radar at first, this thread has got me more interested. Then at a cheap-ass price like above, who could resist! :lol

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I've ordered it from Play.com too. I still have Fallout 3 to play through but what the hell, I can't resist a bargain.

duckroll

adversesolutions said:
Ok stop the presses.

Wow, that's pretty fucking stupid. Especially for a RPG. I'm kinda glad I don't give a crap about getting all achievements in every game now. Man, pretty lame shit. The game is really long too, so I doubt many people really want to replay the game just for those achievements. :(

duckroll

What's causing this massive pricedrop so soon after release? Is it just a timing issue with Thanksgiving and all, or is there something else happening that we're not aware of? This doesn't seem..... normal to say the least.

duckroll said:
What's causing this massive pricedrop so soon after release? Is it just a timing issue with Thanksgiving and all, or is there something else happening that we're not aware of? This doesn't seem..... normal to say the least.

Yeah it's pretty odd and a bit disconcerting to say the least. Perhaps SE is either desperate or indifferent...

duckroll

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah it's pretty odd and a bit disconcerting to say the least. Perhaps SE is either desperate or indifferent...

But does S-E has anything to do with this? From what I can tell so far it seems to just be Amazon and Play, which is weird. I don't think it's being sold at these prices in retail stores right?

Petrie

Banned
duckroll said:

I'd assume Amazon is sitting on a ton of stock, and after watching Infinite Undiscovery bomb, can see the writing on the wall and wants to recoup as much as they can.

duckroll said:
But does S-E has anything to do with this? From what I can tell so far it seems to just be Amazon and Play, which is weird. I don't think it's being sold at these prices in retail stores right?

no, it's full price here in UK stores

duckroll said:
The big public "kinda want" feel vs shitty reviews? Maybe they think people aren't willing to plunge down fullprice for the game because of the reviews?

Xevren

adversesolutions said:
Ok stop the presses.

That's just ridiculous. You'd pretty much have to grind out the ass just to be sure Rush never dies because theres so many enemies out there that can just have a lucky one shot kill on damn near anyone. The achievements as a whole for TLR are pretty bad though to be honest.

FoeHammer

I just got in on the 29.99 deal on Amazon.

I was in for 60, especially after hearing the positive impressions in this thread. It kind of reminds me of Chromehounds, where I listened to forum goers instead of reviewers.

batbeg

Can't you take Rush out of your party for the most part though? I'm not sure, as I've never tried, but it'd certainly make that one easy except for the parts where you're required to use him.

MrDaravon

$30? Damn, my $40 copy isn't even here yet :(

It's part of Amazon's Black Friday weekend, according to CheapyD it's apparently today only. I'm tempted to pick it up for a friend in Canada.

painey

I feel kinda sorry for this game.. its being advertised over here on the levels of previous Final Fantasy games, and yet its already dropped from £39.99 to £17.99.

outsidah

SailorDaravon said:

It's part of Amazon's Black Friday weekend, according to CheapyD it's apparently today only. I'm tempted to pick it up for a friend in Canada.

Its $29 on Amazon now. Email them right now and they will most likely pricematch their own price. Its not policy per say, but they are usually very good about this type of thing.

I am on the fence on this one... it has my interest but I have such a backlong already... and I'm sure this isnt short by any means.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm seriously tempted to pick it up at $30, even though I know it'll be months before I actually play it.

duckroll said:

Futureshop, HMV, EB, Gamestop...all at $64.99 here in Canada.

Walmart is probably five bucks cheaper as standard operating procedure.

Maybe Amazon is looking at metacritic scores and trying to dump their stock? Amazon seems to be the only company that would be "savvy" enough to know about metacritic despite the fact that reviews are quite unreliable these days.

Amon37

adversesolutions said:
Ok stop the presses.

Is there a new game plus? if so then maybe it wouldn't be as difficult. (this is coming from someone who hasn't played the game)

Ricker

batbeg said:
Can't you take Rush out of your party for the most part though? I'm not sure, as I've never tried, but it'd certainly make that one easy except for the parts where you're required to use him.

I don't think so,so far anyway,he always has that orange exclamation point in the Union menu,that says he has to be a leader of a Union.Saw the procession in Elysion this morning and a quick glimpse of that sinister looking guy from the video's but thank god nothing else happened yet because i hadn't saved in a while and was not ready for a full blown battle hehe...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Its cheap on play.com but still full price on amazon.co.uk.

I imagine its not sold well at all, when I went to buy it it wasnt even in their 360 top sellers list at all.

I did my part by buying 4 copies :D

though I only did it to trade them in for near double price, helps justify my decision to jump into a game I don't really want or will have time to play, but you guys all seem to love it so what the hell. Gaf wins again.

Xevren said:
That's just ridiculous. You'd pretty much have to grind out the ass just to be sure Rush never dies because theres so many enemies out there that can just have a lucky one shot kill on damn near anyone. The achievements as a whole for TLR are pretty bad though to be honest.

I'm not sure even grinding would help given that enemies seem to level along with you.

There are two reasons this is really fucked up which no one has brought up yet:

1. Since these are secret achievements, the people who bought this game first day are not TOLD this. People who wait a few weeks or a month yeah find out somewhere along the line what they would have to do in their first playthrough. So they can maybe do it. But people who threw down cash for the game early? SOL. Reminds me of those random chests you're not supposed to open in FF12. Sorry but that is just a straight kick in the teeth to the people giving this game a chance.

2. The game is 60 hours long, meaning yeah if you already got quite a ways in without going for these achievements you're screwed. Who wants to restart a game they'll have to play 60 hours to complete?

S-E...ugh.

Blackjack

adversesolutions said:
I'm not sure even grinding would help given that enemies seem to level along with you.

There are two reasons this is really fucked up which no one has brought up yet:

1. Since these are secret achievements, the people who bought this game first day are not TOLD this. People who wait a few weeks or a month yeah find out somewhere along the line what they would have to do in their first playthrough. So they can maybe do it. But people who threw down cash for the game early? SOL. Reminds me of those random chests you're not supposed to open in FF12. Sorry but that is just a straight kick in the teeth to the people giving this game a chance.

2. The game is 60 hours long, meaning yeah if you already got quite a ways in without going for these achievements you're screwed. Who wants to restart a game they'll have to play 60 hours to complete?

S-E...ugh.
Unless I've missed something, achievements are optional. If your e-peen requires you to go for the vaunted 1000/1000, then you're PROBABLY going to be playing games more than once anyway. I'm not really seeing a difference between a "beat the game without Rush dying" achievement and a "beat the game on the hardest difficulty without dying" achievement.

alanias

Paznos said:
Man for 30 dollars I might just jump on this and possibly double dip if the PS3 version has extra content.

If you have install room on your hard drive (just one disc at a time) and you like turn based RPGs, then you should totally jump on this deal. I paid full retail and I have no buyers remorse after playing it for 5 hours straight. :D

gkryhewy

SailorDaravon said:

I was just able to get Amazon to refund me the difference, even though they've changed their post-order pricematch policy. I had no luck by email, but they did it over the phone. Evidently there's an informal policy where if your order shipped less than a week ago and was over 20 dollars, they'll do it for you. Got my ten bucks back!

HiResDes

Zefah said:
Wow. Color me surprised. I had to look that up just because I couldn't believe you. From what I played of the Mirror's Edge demo, it looked nothing like any other UE3 game. No texture-pop, no performance problems, it had vibrant colors and great lighting, everything was extremely sharp and didn't look like it was covered in vaseline. How did EA pull it off? Let's hope they can share their abilities with Bioware for the next installment of Mass Effect.

I stand by my statement, but I have to exclude Mirror's Edge. It really makes me wonder why EA was able to do what they did with the engine when no one else seems to be able to fully understand how to work the thing.
I love MIrror's Edge to death but it is like one step away from simply being a game of QTE sequences...Not really fair to compare it to other games.

Johann

Zefah said:
I stand by my statement, but I have to exclude Mirror's Edge. It really makes me wonder why EA was able to do what they did with the engine when no one else seems to be able to fully understand how to work the thing.

1.) Swedish developer
2.) IKEA
3.) ???
4.) PROFIT!!! (not really)

I'd strongly reccomend TLR to anyone if they can get it at $30.

Anyway, finally got around to disk 2. All of the combat mechanics are really coming together.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This is a rather large thread...anyone want to link me to a post with good impressions, pros and cons and convince me why I should buy a $30 RPG game when my backlog is like 50 games high?

BboyDubC

Sorry if this has been asked, but is Japanese selectable as an audio choice? If not, can you import it from a country that has Japanese then play it on a US 360?

Top Bottom