• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

MrDaravon

My $40 copy (sadface) arrived today, installing it now. It's been a while since I jumped on a game due to a GAF hypetrain, but it's been quite a while since I've seen almost universal user praise for a game that got shitty reviews. Also I really like some of the games this is being compared to that most people don't like (FFXII and the SaGa games). I'll post back with impressions later tonight or in the morning. I also did go ahead and order a copy for my buddy in Canada who was skeptical based on the reviews, but he's currently renting it and fucking loves it, and another one of my friends should be getting it Monday.

i'm itching to play this
i go to pick up the 360 tomorrow evening, then i can finally indulge myself
the box has just been looking at me for two days

Ok finally beat
desert dragon

BR up to 52, and I've cleared every quest on the map
except for the forgetful guy
and explored everywhere. Guess it's time to progress the main story.

By the way anyone got any idea what the fuck is up with the lady in the academy who gives you stones? What's the point? Actually I feel that way about a ton of items I get but... :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have been at the end of the first disc for like 10 hours play time now. I have just been doing side quests and a lot of them are taking a lot longer than I thought they would (in a good way). I just did one quest in Nagapur which took me to a dungeon I had never been before. I spent like 2 hours working my way to the bottom which had an area that was swarmed with these beetle like creatures. I kept getting 8-9 link battles with these beetles and beatles because they kept respawning. I finally figured out how to spawn the boss and that battle alone took like 15 minutes. It was rough as hell.

I went into the dungeon at Battle Rank 39 and got Battle Rank 46 at the end of the boss fight. I had a 456 chain going and was finally able to get the 200 chain achievement. My party members learned a ton of new abilities and made huge gains in HP and stats. As a reward I got access to a badass new leader and received a new formation.

Damn this game is addicting.

chespace said:
:lol

The sad thing is that you know there will be fuckers out there who will get these achievements. :(

Sure it's sad, you're burdened with the dire realization that those are 400 point you'll never get and they've got the minute blemish that is suffering from autism.

Xevren

Zefah said:
I have been at the end of the first disc for like 10 hours play time now. I have just been doing side quests and a lot of them are taking a lot longer than I thought they would (in a good way). I just did one quest in Nagapur which took me to a dungeon I had never been before. I spent like 2 hours working my way to the bottom which had an area that was swarmed with these beetle like creatures. I kept getting 8-9 link battles with these beetles and beatles because they kept respawning. I finally figured out how to spawn the boss and that battle alone took like 15 minutes. It was rough as hell.

I went into the dungeon at Battle Rank 39 and got Battle Rank 46 at the end of the boss fight. I had a 456 chain going and was finally able to get the 200 chain achievement. My party members learned a ton of new abilities and made huge gains in HP and stats. As a reward I got access to a badass new leader and received a new formation.

Good lord a 456 chain! :lol

I'd be pulling my hair out. I haven't even gotten to Nagapur yet and I just hit rank 50. Making sure to do every quest that I can before moving on.

Zefah said:

456! Holy fuck, lol. Sounds like hell. I might want four unions before attempting something like that.

BTW, does anyone know if it is possible to recruit those two hot girls you help out in the desert?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm stuck, I'm Elysion for the Congress meeting or whatever and I have no idea what to do to progress the story. The prince/king guy said they would come get him when they need him and no dice. Help porfavor!

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yea and they said that I wouldnt be able to see my parents for a while since they were in the Sacred Lands or w/e. That was it.

duckroll

I'm supposed to be headed to Nagapur, but instead I've spent a good 5 hours at least doing nothing but sidequests so far. There are still some available, so it looks like the duke will have to sit on his ass and wait while I kick more A. :lol

If you're stuck in Elysion:

- Go to the academy and talk to everyone
- Go back to the first area in the city and watch a cutscene
- Go to the entrance of the congress
- Go to the Ark

In that order.

Xevren

You need to go to one of the other sections in the city. I forget which it is, a parade will trigger then you can tell where to go from there.

pelicansurf said:
Yea and they said that I wouldnt be able to see my parents for a while since they were in the Sacred Lands or w/e. That was it.

Go to another part of the city (I believe it's the market area) and it will automatically trigger a cutscene.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow.... fuck this Hell Gate boss.

I just wasted an entire hour and it will take at least 30 minutes to fight back to this guy.
I don't want to have to leave this dungeon and level up my guys even further...

Man this boss is bullshit. They need to at least let you save after the first boss fight. He has like one million HP or something. I did easily over 150k before I lost. I might be done with this game for a while. Haha... at least for today.

edit: nevermind I tried it one more time and destroyed him. If you fight him just make sure you revive unions as soon as they die.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay I finally finished disc 1.

Man this game just keeps getting better and better. The boss fights at the end of disc 1 were a ton of fun.

I kind of take back what I said about the story of this game. The story itself is actually pretty good, but the way it is presented is awful. They leave out way too much and require the player to kind of fill in the blanks in a lot of areas. This creates a lot of "what? why? huh?" moments. It still is a pretty good story, though and it is getting better.

I didn't have disc 2 installed to the hard drive when I finished disc 1, so I had to play off the disc until I got a chance to save my game. Man, what a difference it makes installing this game to the hard drive... I was immediately reminded how loud the Xbox 360 is when running games and it took a good 15 seconds to fully load all of the textures in the first area. Ouch.

Xevren

I've been playing off the disc the whole time. I really cant wait for my transfer cable to arrive for my hard drive.

duckroll

Since some of you are already on the second disc and I'm still doing sidequests before hitting Nagapur, I have a few questions:

- There are lots of components that I get that don't seem to have a use. While there are normal weapon components from monsters, there are also stuff like "breed components" and other stuff that I haven't found a use for. Any ideas?

- Sometimes Mr Diggs finds random buried treasure like faded patchments, broken vases, or urns. Are these used for anything?

- Any tips on what I need to sell in certain stores (especially weapon stores) in each town to unlock the Trade Goods?

Thanks!

Ok my guys are really strong but...

I don't have a single union that will bring up the 'revive' command when another union dies. I have at least a few people that can use the revive herb, but I never get the command...

Makes boss fights a nightmare sometimes. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

duckroll

I'm looking for some Royotian Steel, so I figure Royotia must have some right? I've never been there, so I trek across the Sand Sea, and through the lava caves..... and I get to Royotia.

Royotia doesn't sell Royotian Steel! :lol

Bossman

adversesolutions said:
BTW, it has been confirmed that some quests will disappear after the transition to disc 2, so get em done now while you can.

Yeah, there's about 40 sidequests on Disc 1.

duckroll said:
I'm looking for some Royotian Steel, so I figure Royotia must have some right? I've never been there, so I trek across the Sand Sea, and through the lava caves..... and I get to Royotia.

Royotia doesn't sell Royotian Steel! :lol

Not YET at least :)

I'm sure after your visit to Nagapur it comes up for sale. I bought some to upgrade my Combatsword, I think. I might have bought it at Celapaleis though.

duckroll

Android18a said:
Not YET at least :)

I'm sure after your visit to Nagapur it comes up for sale. I bought some to upgrade my Combatsword, I think. I might have bought it at Celapaleis though.

I went to mine some in Mojcado Castle instead.

Just tried the Ancient War quest in Balterossa. That was...... painful. :/

Just got my $10 credit from Amazon since the price dropped just after I placed my order.
So that brings my recent RPG purchase tally to Vesperia at $40, Last Remnant at $30, Lost Odyssey at $26 and Infinite Undiscovery at $20. Four games for less than the price of two. Not bad at all. :D

duckroll said:
Since some of you are already on the second disc and I'm still doing sidequests before hitting Nagapur, I have a few questions:

- There are lots of components that I get that don't seem to have a use. While there are normal weapon components from monsters, there are also stuff like "breed components" and other stuff that I haven't found a use for. Any ideas?

- Sometimes Mr Diggs finds random buried treasure like faded patchments, broken vases, or urns. Are these used for anything?

- Any tips on what I need to sell in certain stores (especially weapon stores) in each town to unlock the Trade Goods?

Thanks!

To answer the first question, I think breed components just means that they are components dropped by a particular breed of monster, rather than being used for something special. There are a crap load of weapons and many of them can be upgraded quite a few times using all kinds of materials, but I never really bothered with most of them (not enough money anyway).

For the second question, they are mainly used to create weapons and accessories.

You need to sell captured monsters to get the commerce points to unlock trade goods.

Schopenhauer said:
You need to sell captured monsters to get the commerce points to unlock trade goods.

Does it matter where you sell captured monsters? Do the points only apply to where you sold them or are they universal?

^ I am pretty sure that the store you sell them at doesn't matter. I am not sure whether they are universal or not. There have been unlocked trade goods in towns that I don't remember selling anything at, so maybe they are.

alanias

Schopenhauer said:
^ I am pretty sure that the store you sell them at doesn't matter. I am not sure whether they are universal or not. There have been unlocked trade goods in towns that I don't remember selling anything at, so maybe they are.

I am pretty confused about the trade good/commerce points stuff. Did I skip a tutorial or something? How does this system work?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ok, brilliant game, I'm not very far, around 4 hours, and I need some hints/advice, re Unions. I have the ability to make up to 3 Unions, using up to 5 leaders, 9 people total (think that's right). What I've done is make 3x3 Unions, with 1 leader in each (specifically, Rush, David, and the 4-armed cat dude).

Is this right? Should I instead make 2 Unions that have more peeps? Should I be putting more than 1 leader in each Union, or even max out my allocated leaders and then fill in the remaining slots with regular army?

I'm really loving the game, but there's a lot it doesn't explain to you that's for sure. I wish the guide were out already.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'd say it's better to put as much leaders as possible so when you can go up to 4 unions the remaining leader will already be leveled up to the same level as the others.
Also
don't forget Emma

alanias said:
I am pretty confused about the trade good/commerce points stuff. Did I skip a tutorial or something? How does this system work?

There really isn't much to it other than selling captured monsters to unlock trade goods. I think a npc mentions it as well as a loading screen on the second disc.

The loading screens on the second disc mention some really handy stuff like Y button + up or down to scroll a page at a time through menus. :lol

Neil

MAJOR SPOILER QUESTION:

I just watched Emma's death on youtube :| So when 'emmy' joins, does she join the party? And if she does, is she exactly the same as Emma, as in she gets all her stats and move-sets?

Also, does anyone know the correlation between your active characters levelling up, and you sub characters levelling up?
Am I right in thinking that your sub officers don't level up, but your sub-leaders do, at approximately half the rate (stats and moves) as your main team?

Watched the gamersyde videos, and read the impressions and decided I'd give this a shot. Was somewhat weary of spending anohter 65 dollars for this game, and I can't believe I missed the fact that Amazon is selling it for 30. Ugh that is so frustrating! Not far in the game at all, but did notice the texture pop-in and slowdown. Game looks great otherwise and I'm very excited to get in on the action!

Just wish I caught that amazon deal...

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Watched the gamersyde videos, and read the impressions and decided I'd give this a shot. Was somewhat weary of spending anohter 65 dollars for this game, and I can't believe I missed the fact that Amazon is selling it for 30. Ugh that is so frustrating! Not far in the game at all, but did notice the texture pop-in and slowdown. Game looks great otherwise and I'm very excited to get in on the action!

Just wish I caught that amazon deal...

Apparently if you reduce the resolution in your system settings, texture pop-in gets a lot better.

Cloudy

Banned
I'm liking the game from what I've played but the main character seems to be quite jovial right after his sister is kidnapped :lol

Cloudy

Banned
·feist· said:
Just got my $10 credit from Amazon since the price dropped just after I placed my order.
So that brings my recent RPG purchase tally to Vesperia at $40, Last Remnant at $30, Lost Odyssey at $26 and Infinite Undiscovery at $20. Four games for less than the price of two. Not bad at all. :D

How do you get the credit? I paid $39.96 for it last week :\

tokkun

adversesolutions said:
1. Since these are secret achievements, the people who bought this game first day are not TOLD this. People who wait a few weeks or a month yeah find out somewhere along the line what they would have to do in their first playthrough. So they can maybe do it. But people who threw down cash for the game early? SOL. Reminds me of those random chests you're not supposed to open in FF12. Sorry but that is just a straight kick in the teeth to the people giving this game a chance.

Consider yourself lucky. I haven't received my pre-order copy from Amazon yet. Now when I play, I am going to feel like I need to reload the save every time Rush dies. At least you've already missed the achievement and can go about playing the game in a normal way, whereas I may find myself screwing my enjoyment of the game because of pressure from these achievements.

Cloudy said:
How do you get the credit? I paid $39.96 for it last week :\
I didn't bother with emailing them, figuring a phone call would be faster and more direct.

Depending on your location try one of these numbers:

1-866-216-1072
International customers can reach us at: 1-206-266-2992

Give them your email addy or order # and simply explain to them that you had just ordered it shortly before the price drop. Mine was only a few hours difference so I'm not sure if they'll take issue with the week that has passed with yours - shouldn't be a problem, though. No need to beg or argue, they'll just credit $10 back to your account.

Xevren

tokkun said:
Consider yourself lucky. I haven't received my pre-order copy from Amazon yet. Now when I play, I am going to feel like I need to reload the save every time Rush dies. At least you've already missed the achievement and can go about playing the game in a normal way, whereas I may find myself screwing my enjoyment of the game because of pressure from these achievements.

I honestly wouldn't even bother. The game is far from easy and if you really are going to reload every time he dies you're going to go crazy. There's too many monsters out there that have an ability to pretty much have a lucky one shot on anyone.

Top Bottom