• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

DunpealD

Flipside said:
I wanted to pick this game up last week but I wasn't 100% sure yet.

Today I saw it on Play for €25,50 so I ordered it right away. When I checked this evening it was already back at it's old price so I am glad I got this for a bargain :) Looking forward to trying it.

You're lucky, it has gone back to the original price again(56€).

duckroll

BlazingDarkness said:
oh ffs, my 360 has scratched the disc, whenever i try and enter celapeleis, it gives me the disk read error
i can't install it either, that also gives me the disc read error
and i can't find my receipt for the game :(
is there anywhere online i can get the game for cheaper than in stores? i'm in the UK, and i aint paying 40 quid for it again for it to be ruined

Play has it for 25 euros.

DunpealD said:
You're lucky, it has gone back to the original price again(56€).

Or..... not. Sorry! :(

MirageDwarf said:
Didn't work for me. Guy on the phone told me price-matching for 30-days is discontinued from Sept 1, 2008. Ordered it two days before it dropped to $29.95. :(

Yeh, same here =( They said I can return it, and just re-order, but all that hassle for $10, just isn't worth it :lol

Thanks for the info though, guys!

*edit* Oh, and just an FYI, Amazon will still price match, but it has to be $20 or more.

Cloudy

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
Didn't work for me. Guy on the phone told me price-matching for 30-days is discontinued from Sept 1, 2008. Ordered it two days before it dropped to $29.95. :(

They told me the same thing twice. I just checked now and it was back to $30 so I bought it and I'll return the first order :D

Baker

Banned
What is the point of finding/buying weapons you can't equip (Qsiti only, etc.)?

I keep them around in hopes of the supporting cast asking for them, but it's only randomly happened once with a bracelet. Are they just there to deconstruct at the Customization Shop?

TheExodu5

Banned
duckroll said:
Lemme do something about that.

Awesome! Now I just need a 360 to pick up this, LO, ToV, and SO4 (when it comes out) and I'll be in JRPG heaven. :D

Hmmm...or maybe I'll pick it up on PC and play at a blistering 60fps. Any announced PC date?

edit: Kioku is banned? I can say behind his back now that he has awful taste in games. :lol (though I guess I said it to his face a few times)

Hi there, Kioku, if you're reading this! You sexy lurker you!

duckroll

Baker said:

I keep them around in hopes of the supporting cast asking for them, but it's only randomly happened once with a bracelet. Are they just there to deconstruct at the Customization Shop?

You can deconstruct them, or you can make them better. The characters will only ask for equipment that fits them if it's better than what they're using obviously. You can check what they're using in the menu, even if you can't change their equipment. There's no point keeping a shitty weapon around that no one wants, but if you have a race specific weapon that matches a character of that race and is the same weapon type he/she uses, then you might want to continue customizing it and improving it until it's better than what that character is currently using. If there's too big a difference then don't bother.

Baker said:

Later on, you get a bunch of weapons that certain leaders will ask for constantly. Yeah, but either scrap them or, if possible try and customize them into something decent that your leaders may actually want.

Zalasta

I've seen synergy used against me (basically all enemy units used the same mystic art to achieve it), which effectively took out one of my union with 5000+ damage. I haven't unlock it myself.

I almost couldn't find this thread with the new title.

Cloudy said:
I called Amazon and they said they don't do price gurantees anymore as of 9/1 this year. My mistake was not ordering it at $29.99 and returning the first order. The game is back up to $59.99 today :lol
MirageDwarf said:
Sorry, guys. Perhaps you should try once more just in case? I heard of that policy change before placing my call, but decided to do so anyway and I may have lucked out by getting a rep who was either nice or uninformed. Now I'll need to check my statement to verify that the $10 actually did go back - though the rep said as much and an email was also sent to me afterward.

I'm currently without my 360 and my LR copy hasn't arrived yet so back to waiting I go...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Most things in the game aren't made completely clear, because part of the "appeal" of the SaGa game design mentality has been that the less the player knows, the more mysterious and interesting the game is (lololol). My bet is that there are things linked to morale, as well as what position each Union is in. If you're stuck in a multi-deadlock for example, it's entirely possible that a Union will refuse to revive another Union if it means it could get caught in a Raidlock and killed. I've found that often a Union will not want to revive its own members if one or two have fallen, if all the Unions are still alive on the whole. I'm not totally sure of it myself, but that's my experience from certain major battles.

Morale definitely affects the order in which players take their turn in a fight. If your morale is next to zero, the enemy union will almost always take all of their turns before your players. On the reverse side, if your morale is maxxed out, your characters will almost always take all of their turns before the enemy union. I don't know if morale affects anything else, though, but I bet it does.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Don't listen to the reviews? Oh com'n, how bad could they be....

dhbe6g.png

pffpfffpttthahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol

duckroll

Zefah said:
Morale definitely affects the order in which players take their turn in a fight. If your morale is next to zero, the enemy union will almost always take all of their turns before your players. On the reverse side, if your morale is maxxed out, your characters will almost always take all of their turns before the enemy union. I don't know if morale affects anything else, though, but I bet it does.

Morale affects several enemy types as well. If your morale is high or full, they'll always use certain morale lowering attacks, instead of other attacks they have.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
TheExodu5 said:
A

Hmmm...or maybe I'll pick it up on PC and play at a blistering 60fps. Any announced PC date?

PC version will probably release with the PS3 one, hopefully at a budget price :eek:

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
grandjedi6 said:
Don't listen to the reviews? Oh com'n, how bad could they be....

dhbe6g.png

pffpfffpttthahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol

Oh my.

I've already bought 1 of them and plan on buying the other.

Has this game been confirmed to be 360 exclusive? I want to pick it up and play it on my 360, but I framerate problems are one of my biggest pet peeves. And if a later PS3 port might possibly fix those issues I might just wait.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CurseoftheGods said:
Has this game been confirmed to be 360 exclusive? I want to pick it up and play it on my 360, but I framerate problems are one of my biggest pet peeves. And if a later PS3 port might possibly fix those issues I might just wait.

It's always been multiplat from the start. PC version was confirmed back in July too.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
CurseoftheGods said:
PS3 and PC versions have already been announced.

IJoel

Joining the choir, etc... Basically I'm having a similar experience as most here. I find the combat mechanics quite fun, and the questing really really addictive. The graphics are quite nice as well, which frankly, I didn't expect, considering some media I had seen.

With regards to flaws, the game has quite a few of them. For the most part, I wish there was more transparency to the leveling/casting system.

On a different note, that Blackout synergy spell is really powerful. It can also be leveled up, so when it shows up, make sure to use it. My battle rank is 64 or so (currently at the start of disc 2), and I have Blackout II, Cyclops, Talisman Defense, and Talisman Attack, as my special (yellow) abilities. From a unit perspective, I currently have 3 4-character units, and 1 3 character unit. Their breakdown is: 1 Melee+Mystic (balanced) unit, 2 Melee units and 1 Mystic unit, and so far it's working out very nicely.

Reading this thread last night was interesting... I was really impressed when I read someone got the chain up to 400+. I hadn't even cracked 150 by them... until later, when I started a quest (Wisdom's Echo sidequest) and ended with 500+.

Pro-tip of the day: Make sure to talk with all people, even those without red outlines on their bubbles. A few of them give items. One of my current equipped swords deals a ton of damage + poison, and was given to me by some lady at a Pub.

WYWY

IJoel said:
For the most part, I wish there was more transparency to the leveling/casting system.
Again, that is so very SaGa. Seems to be a SaGa tradition - discourage grinding and abstracting the level-up mechanics.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
CurseoftheGods said:

I don't think there are any examples of UE3 games running beter on the PS3 than on the 360, but you can always hope, I suppose. I wouldn't be surprise if SE added some new content, or at least bundled the DLC with the upcoming PS3 / PC releases, however.

I can't blame anyone for wanting to wait for the PC release, however. I initially played Mass Effect on the 360, and while it was a lot of fun, the game was a ton better on a powerful PC. I will probably end up repurchasing The Last Remnant when it is released on the PC just so I can play it in its full glory.

WYWY said:
Again, that is so very SaGa. Seems to be a SaGa tradition - discourage grinding and abstracting the level-up mechanics.

I really don't see how the SaGa leveling system discourages grinding. Rather I think it makes grinding more unpredictable and rewarding. Not fighting a set number of enemies in order to reach an arbitrary number to level up and gain a predictable set of bonuses somehow makes grinding more enjoyable. Well, a least for me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
IJoel said:
Joining the choir, etc... Basically I'm having a similar experience as most here. I find the combat mechanics quite fun, and the questing really really addictive. The graphics are quite nice as well, which frankly, I didn't expect, considering some media I had seen.

With regards to flaws, the game has quite a few of them. For the most part, I wish there was more transparency to the leveling/casting system.

On a different note, that Blackout synergy spell is really powerful. It can also be leveled up, so when it shows up, make sure to use it. My battle rank is 64 or so (currently at the start of disc 2), and I have Blackout II, Cyclops, Talisman Defense, and Talisman Attack, as my special (yellow) abilities. From a unit perspective, I currently have 3 4-character units, and 1 3 character unit. Their breakdown is: 1 Melee+Mystic (balanced) unit, 2 Melee units and 1 Mystic unit, and so far it's working out very nicely.

Reading this thread last night was interesting... I was really impressed when I read someone got the chain up to 400+. I hadn't even cracked 150 by them... until later, when I started a quest (Wisdom's Echo sidequest) and ended with 500+.

Pro-tip of the day: Make sure to talk with all people, even those without red outlines on their bubbles. A few of them give items. One of my current equipped swords deals a ton of damage + poison, and was given to me by some lady at a Pub.

Regarding Blackout, do you know what the conditions are to get it to work properly? There have been a few occasions when I select the ability, and for apparently no reason, it fails to go off and Rush just chooses a normal attack instead. I don't understand why this happens. The enemy union that I targetted wasn't killed before Rush's turn, my AP didn't run out and I didn't get hit by any status altering effects (silence, etc...) either. Does the triggering of Blackout require certain actions from other unions as well?

That quest, "Wisdom's Echo" ("知恵の余韻 - Chie no Yoin" in Japanese) is definitely a good one to get massive chains. Not only is it really long and spans two areas, but at the basement of the final area there is a room that has a ton of beetles in it that immediately respawn after you kill them. I did the quest near the end of the first disc and kept fighting the beetles over and over again before I figured out what I had to do to spawn the boss. I kept getting like 8 or 9 links and slaughtering the beetles over and over. It is easy to get a massive chain doing that.

Zzoram

CurseoftheGods said:

Think about it this way. The game is on Unreal Engine 3. UE3 is super optimized on the PC. UE3 has consistently worked better on the Xbox 360. Every UE3 port to PS3 ever has been late and worse in performance.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Sorry guys, hope this isn't too much of a derailment, but I have Last Remnant and a J-360 en route to my house now. I'm switching over from my US 360 and have a few questions.

Can I use my US live account on the new system? Or do I need to make a Japanese account? Also, I have a 12 month Gold card I haven't used yet. Will this work with Japanese accounts (assuming I need to use one) or do I need a Japanese gold card? Thanks all.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
Think about it this way. The game is on Unreal Engine 3. UE3 is super optimized on the PC. UE3 has consistently worked better on the Xbox 360. Every UE3 port to PS3 ever has been late and worse in performance.

Well it can't be worse. Right?

I just want my PC release :(

IJoel

Zefah said:
Regarding Blackout, do you know what the conditions are to get it to work properly? There have been a few occasions when I select the ability, and for apparently no reason, it fails to go off and Rush just chooses a normal attack instead. I don't understand why this happens. The enemy union that I targetted wasn't killed before Rush's turn, my AP didn't run out and I didn't get hit by any status altering effects (silence, etc...) either. Does the triggering of Blackout require certain actions from other unions as well?

I wish I knew (one of the reasons I would've preferred more transparency from the combat system). I assume the spell requires some form of synergy between the unions, considering the word "synergy" appears flashes multiple times. As someone mentioned earlier, perhaps using the Spark spell from another union would get it to work.

Zefah said:

When you choose long range attacks (like Blackout and Gael Bolg) there is always a chance that you will be attacked by an enemy before you get your turn. If that happens then the unit just does regular attacks rather than using the special ability.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
suffah said:
Sorry guys, hope this isn't too much of a derailment, but I have Last Remnant and a J-360 en route to my house now. I'm switching over from my US 360 and have a few questions.

Can I use my US live account on the new system? Or do I need to make a Japanese account? Also, I have a 12 month Gold card I haven't used yet. Will this work with Japanese accounts (assuming I need to use one) or do I need a Japanese gold card? Thanks all.

You can use your US account perfectly fine on the Japanese system. You won't be able to access a lot of the US-specific content unless you actually live in the US (or use some proxy), though. Also, the Xbox Originals are region locked, so even if you pay for them and download them via your US account, you won't be able to actually play them on the Japanese 360. The Xbox Live subscription codes are region based so an American 12 month code won't work on a Japanese Live account, but since you can use your US account on a Japanese console that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Schopenhauer said:
When you choose long range attacks (like Blackout and Gael Bolg) there is always a chance that you will be attacked by an enemy before you get your turn. If that happens then the unit just does regular attacks rather than using the special ability.

Ahh that makes sense. Come to think of it the "Blackout" command has only ever appeared when I was not in "lockup" with an enemy union.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Zefah said:
You can use your US account perfectly fine on the Japanese system. You won't be able to access a lot of the US-specific content unless you actually live in the US (or use some proxy), though. Also, the Xbox Originals are region locked, so even if you pay for them and download them via your US account, you won't be able to actually play them on the Japanese 360. The Xbox Live subscription codes are region based so an American 12 month code won't work on a Japanese Live account, but since you can use your US account on a Japanese console that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Ricker

The 2 free DLC are up by the way,looks like an additional sidequest/area and a combat formation i think...

I'm up to the part where i could go with Emma,looking for stuff but i'll go back to every location first and do a few side quest still...just did the one with Paris,trying to find Charlotte,that was pretty good although my battle rank(27 now) was too high I guess because it was damn easy...at least Diggs got a few levels and the dig count is up to 7 now.(dungeon takes about 1 hour if you explore every corner).

kagete

I just bought and played this for a couple of hours or so and... it really, really feels like FFXII. The starting city seemed practically the same except that city map navigation made it 10x less tedious that FFXII's. The art style's so similar and the cosmopolitan effect of having multiple races interacting with each other really gives it the same vibe. All the mitras walk like runway models with big hips and armor though, which is unnerving as early as the game's 2nd or 3rd cutscene.

Ditto for dungeon exploration. Heck, even finding treasure is practically the same (except finding out what's inside treasure remnants doesn't suck), as if they just used the same base engine and definitely some of the same base concepts.

I've installed the game and loading is definitely not an issue. Someone already mentioned this and it's true that loading finishes before you're even able to read the helptext in the loading screens. For battles, I've noticed that the number of "starburst" effects during loading is the same as the number of enemy groups I initiated battle with. So fighting 3 enemies will cause the loading screen to last around 3 starbursts which is less than 2-3 seconds. Fighting a single enemy involves almost no loading.

I think I figured out the basic battle concepts but it really suffers from bad naming because I get the wrong ideas about what's happening onscreen. Deadlocks are too fancy a name and may imply stalemates to people like me yet more often than not I one-hit incapacitate/terminate enemy groups every time I Deadlock. I'd use the words melee, engage, skirmish, or encounter before deadlock. I have a hard time distinguishing between Interference and Interception and don't really easily get which one was good for me or not because most of the enemy groups I fought so far have been copies of each other. Semantics aside, the battles are ace though. While waiting for my inputs, the deadlocked units are trading glancing blows with each other which is a really nice touch that I wasn't expecting (for some reason I thought only WKS did that this gen). When I do issue the commands and they are executed... wow...it's beautiful. Even then, the battles still somehow feel like FFXII. You still get the programmed feeling that your units are acting based both on AI and your directions but have a larger sense of scale since its not just 3 female characters fighting. Rush's Omnistrike really disappointed me though. It's 95% a Mist Knack/Quickening, down to the generic, nonweapon-specific, pummeling animation with exaggerated color.

Anyway so far, it's a great game and I can't wait to get back to playing.

OK fuck this shit, I'm pissed. I'm getting a Dirty Disc error when I try to go to Gaslin Caves EVERY TIME (and yes the disc went straight from the case to the 360 and hasn't left).

And of course it's been 3 years and 20 days or so since 360 launch, so warranty = void.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
OH. MY. GOD. I didn't know that the Aqueducts were the last part of Disc 1 so I struggle and struggle against Hell's Gate until I beat that bitch down (barely) with only one union dying at the very end of the fight. Then I appear in some bizarro temple with no enemies and lo and behold there is now some super boss who is somehow even harder. I have nothing to revive with and am pretty poorly stocked since I did not know this was it. Am I shit out of luck?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
polyh3dron said:
OK fuck this shit, I'm pissed. I'm getting a Dirty Disc error when I try to go to Gaslin Caves EVERY TIME (and yes the disc went straight from the case to the 360 and hasn't left).

And of course it's been 3 years and 20 days or so since 360 launch, so warranty = void.
Did you try installing the game?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
pelicansurf said:
OH. MY. GOD. I didn't know that the Aqueducts were the last part of Disc 1 so I struggle and struggle against Hell's Gate until I beat that bitch down (barely) with only one union dying at the very end of the fight. Then I appear in some bizarro temple with no enemies and lo and behold there is now some super boss who is somehow even harder. I have nothing to revive with and am pretty poorly stocked since I did not know this was it. Am I shit out of luck?

What? Compared to Hell's Gate that guy was simple! I just don't see how you beat Hell's Gate but are dying to the next boss. Try some different tactics maybe?

Unless you kept multiple saves, then you aren't going to be able to go back once you get in that area. But if you were able to beat Hell's Gate you should be able to take down the next boss... really.

Hells Gate is kicking my ass. Does this boss level with you, or would grinding my HP up a little help? It's that damn Enchanted move that does me in... is there any protection against that?

Top Bottom