• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

PusherT

Quazar said:
Eldritch Dragon was an insanely tense fight for like 30-45min. Holy shit. Tried just a few BRs ago and he tore me to pieces.
YYeah I can't beat that mofo what BR were when you fought him?? he is the black dragon in Fornstand.

Quazar

PusherT said:
YYeah I can't beat that mofo what BR were when you fought him?? he is the black dragon in Fornstand.

Yea that's him. I was 88 or 89. Finished game soon after at 90. If I didn't get cyclops to come out I'm not sure if I would of beat him.

PusherT

Quazar said:
Yea that's him. I was 88 or 89. Finished game soon after at 90. If I didn't get cyclops to come out I'm not sure if I would of beat him.
Besides the Rubber Sol Remnent found in Dumoor what other "Unbound Remenents" can you use that Marshall stone tablet on? I've been looking for more rememnent to bind. I kind of wish the developer added secret rememnets in the game so of like pokemon so you search and bind secreat rare remnents.

Also how do you get that secreat achievement with Duke of Ghor and the 6 bases???

Krelian

Tabris said:
I disagree. You can definitely do it on one playthrough without a guide. Just make sure not to BR grind (i.e. link lots of mobs or fight weak mobs) and just google "missable quests" so you know which quests you can't miss and you'll get them all.
So you do agree that you need a guide for the sidequests. For that reason I suggested a guide.

You also won't know about some of the achievements if you don't look them up.

EDIT: PC version news: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172518

Apparently there is no restriction for leaders anymore and the battle animations can be sped up. Raising the limit instead of getting rid of it would've made more sense in my opinion. I don't think anybody would use generic soldiers anymore and the game may become a tad easy.

PusherT said:
Besides the Rubber Sol Remnent found in Dumoor what other "Unbound Remenents" can you use that Marshall stone tablet on? I've been looking for more rememnent to bind. I kind of wish the developer added secret rememnets in the game so of like pokemon so you search and bind secreat rare remnents.

Also how do you get that secreat achievement with Duke of Ghor and the 6 bases???
There is one at the end of Blackdale, one in the ivory peaks, one that you can only unlock if you do a quest with Rhagoh and another one that you should not bind in Darklen forest because it is part of a quest.

To get one of the secret achievements you have to do all the quests in the game which includes the one that the Duke of Ghor gives. To get his quest you have to talk to him in between the base battles.

Macstorm

Krelian said:
Apparently there is no restriction for leaders anymore and the battle animations can be sped up. Raising the limit instead of getting rid of it would've made more sense in my opinion. I don't think anybody would use generic soldiers anymore and the game may become a tad easy.
What if we're wusses and want easy? I demand a 360 patch! :)

Amon37

Rare monsters are so irritating. I must have run the Ivory Peaks a million times and can spawn every other monster but the one needed for the guild quest and don't get me started on ones where you have to spend 10-15 minutes walking through the dungeon only to find out it didn't spawn and then have to spend another 10 minutes to get out.

Overall I am loving this game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Krelian said:
So you do agree that you need a guide for the sidequests. For that reason I suggested a guide.

April, huh. I'll try it out.

Had the game since launch (damn you Amazon!), just started playing it.

Quick question, and I apologize if this is elsewhere in the thread (OP hasn't been updated in a long while it seems), but how much does installing the game improve the performance? I can't really tell if I like the gameplay much at this point, and slowdowns really are just mild annoyances, but I think I'd enjoy the experience more if it was a bit smoother overall.

Also, like I said I'm not too sure about the gameplay yet, but do the first few hours give a general idea of how the battle system works throughout the game as a whole? Feels like they were going for a rather innovative system but had to settle for simplicity in the end. I dunno. Don't shoot me :lol .

Quazar

Krelian said:

Yea, the game will become a cakewalk on PC. I'm thinking of picking up PC version. Will it have achievements?

harSon

Banned
Kagari said:
April, huh. I'll try it out.

Come to the dark side and try it now :)

A friend just gave me the game for free, he didn't like the game and decided to give it to me as an early birthday present. I haven't really had time for very many games lately but I'm planning on starting an RPG. It's between Tales of Vesperia (Started but never finished), The Last Remnant, or waiting till next month for Star Ocean 4.

starsky

Princess Skittles said:
How are the achievements in the game?

My friend got his 1000/1000 after 150 hours of playing. He said he wouldn't spend that many hours on the game if he doesn't love it that much.

Freyjadour said:
Quick question, and I apologize if this is elsewhere in the thread (OP hasn't been updated in a long while it seems), but how much does installing the game improve the performance? I can't really tell if I like the gameplay much at this point, and slowdowns really are just mild annoyances, but I think I'd enjoy the experience more if it was a bit smoother overall.

The loading time is cut considerably, and everyone in this thread recommends installing the game.

Loudninja

Krelian said:

Hmph :(

Junpei Heat

I think I found out something neat. During a Loop Chance with Mr.Diggs, I think if you keep pressing the A button it increases/guarantees it working. Because previously it rarely worked but so far like 4 times in a row it's been working. It could also be a big fluke heh.

I finally beat the Fallen at BR 89. The soldiers weapon upgrade at around BR 86-87 is what pushed me over the edge damage wise. I have serious doubts about being able to beat it before that upgrade (I could get him flashing though), especially if you didn't grind before you got to the point in the game where you can fight it.

I used 4 units: 1st 5400 2nd 3500 3rd 3200 and 4th 4400. It was a really tough fight though and I ended up with only two of my unions left and Wyngale getting the final hit during the last round.

Anyway, AC here I come. Hopefully I will have a high enough hp total if fore my unions if I just use two or three unions.

desverger

I was just doing the "Love will rise again" sidequest, and David went straight to learning Blackout II :lol, I've never him see even do the first one. Was a nice surprise though.

With Gae Bolg and Blackout, David is turning to be one of my favourite leaders. Also the Yama leader I was talking about earlier is called Gaou, that guy is a crazy hard hitter.

Junpei Heat said:
I think I found out something neat. During a Loop Chance with Mr.Diggs, I think if you keep pressing the A button it increases/guarantees it working. Because previously it rarely worked but so far like 4 times in a row it's been working. It could also be a big fluke heh.

I thought you had bigger chances if you press A when he flashes more. Well I will try that later. :lol

I'm probably near the end of the 1 disc, after beginning a new game cuz I was overleveling like mad, and was getting kicked pretty bad in some quest. :lol

Now I'm doing more quest.

desverger said:
I was just doing the "Love will rise again" sidequest, and David went straight to learning Blackout II :lol, I've never him see even do the first one. Was a nice surprise though.

With Gae Bolg and Blackout, David is turning to be one of my favourite leaders. Also the Yama leader I was talking about earlier is called Gaou, that guy is a crazy hard hitter.

David is up to Blackout III for me and I just started the 2nd disc. There was this one mission with a room of 30 respawning monsters. I would link up like 10 and start a fight. Almost everytime, I'd get David to use Blackout or Gae Bolg within the first 2 turns. Total destruction.

desverger

I'm really wondering about Rush's progression - I was leveling mystic arts for him when I noticed his combat arts weren't progressing, and he learned a bunch of useful stuff pretty quickly - but I really started to wonder if I'm gimping my progression like this :p

Is there really any limit to what and how many things Rush can learn?

Oh - as a sidenote, Base 1 down at BR63 - that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be with Gae Bolg and Blackout both coming up, lol.

Tabris

I haven't had much chance to play but BR 102 now. 780/1000 Achievements. 7200/7600/6400/3600 HP

I have almost everyone with weapon arts. I think I'm almost ready to fight AC.

Aaron

desverger said:
I'm really wondering about Rush's progression - I was leveling mystic arts for him when I noticed his combat arts weren't progressing, and he learned a bunch of useful stuff pretty quickly - but I really started to wonder if I'm gimping my progression like this :p

Is there really any limit to what and how many things Rush can learn?
Certain ability groups can only be gained after doing certain side quests. Otherwise no.

Amon37

I'm trying to get the fly weekly but I need a champions lance and have no clue how to make or get one. I've checked the FAQS and the official strat guide is worthless on weapon upgrades.

On disc 2 right now, now I'm 49, but was 45 when I beat
Hell's Gate
, 2 tries just one union killed, and
Jager
, suprisingly easy, fucking Caedmon 2 quest,give me some boost on my BR, and even worst they were a bunch of weaklings, well another mental note to my 2nd playthrough, get Caedmon earlier, beacause of that and because...he's fucking cool! He and Allan are probably 2 of the most cooler character designs I saw in a JRPG in some time.

But, Rush progression is making me feel angry, there was a time I could use potions, but now, not every fucking chance, I don't know what changed or what I did, well potions it's not the only thing he stop using or almost, he only use remedies to cure and not herbs at all.

I don't know, rules in this game are so obscure and random. :lol

And, the "aprentice" side quest is fucking annoying. 18 rare monsters? give me a fucking break!. :lol

Amon37

Relaxed Muscle said:
And, the "aprentice" side quest is fucking annoying. 18 rare monsters? give me a fucking break!. :lol

They appear frequently when the third part of the dungeon is added in the third part of the quest.

You can easily get 8-10 cosmosands on one run through.

Diablos

So I just got to the
Catacombs
. Liking this game so far, the battles can be really tough if you don't think out your unions and how you approach certain battles etc. Interrupted this to finish Valkyria, so I haven't played it in a while.

Question for those of you who have COMPLETED the game (major spoiler):
How much longer until *****Emma dies? I accidentally spoiled this for myself, but I then also read that you should NOT use her because of this.

Just bought this, going to install it for better performance. Hopefully it doesn't dissappoint me to much, too much of a Square-Enix tool to pass up and not get it. :lol

Lebron

man that Dominator sure did hand me my ass on a silver platter. Stupid system wouldn't allow me to give Rush the stay back command. Grrr! The only time it popped up was for my squad of 1(Blocter), that's the one I wanted to attack! While my other 2 stayed back so they wouldn't get cursed. Oh well, I'm probably to early in to take him on anyway. I just got the 3 unit/4 leader max upgrade.

starsky

Lebron said:
man that Dominator sure did hand me my ass on a silver platter. Stupid system wouldn't allow me to give Rush the stay back command. Grrr! The only time it popped up was for my squad of 1(Blocter), that's the one I wanted to attack! While my other 2 stayed back so they wouldn't get cursed. Oh well, I'm probably to early in to take him on anyway. I just got the 3 unit/4 leader max upgrade.

We're at the same place in the game. You can do it with 4 leaders, I just did it 5 mins ago. And I was previously trying to take him on with 2 leaders :lol.

Lebron said:

Check your morale bar in the first turn, if it's equal means your are more or less at the same level, if your morale it's almost zero, means he's stronger.

Amon37 said:
They appear frequently when the third part of the dungeon is added in the third part of the quest.

You can easily get 8-10 cosmosands on one run through.

Yeah, I just saw it, and even better, they seem to respawn, still took me a while.

Aaron

Diablos said:
Question for those of you who have COMPLETED the game (major spoiler):
How much longer until *****Emma dies? I accidentally spoiled this for myself, but I then also read that you should NOT use her because of this.
You're not terribly far from this event. It's okay to use her though. Seriously, people worry too much with this game. Have fun and play the way you want to. The only danger is not getting all of the achievements, which if you ask me is terribly anal.

Krelian

Aaron said:
You're not terribly far from this event. It's okay to use her though. Seriously, people worry too much with this game. Have fun and play the way you want to. The only danger is not getting all of the achievements, which if you ask me is terribly anal.
Yeah, it can't be stressed enough how much people exaggerate with avoiding monsters, avoiding to link them and all that crap. I did perfectly alright, although I ignored everything people advised you to do; I linked monsters all the time (at least in the beginning) and had no problem whatsoever with Gates of Hell or the bases.
I also had Emma in my party all the time until she died.

After the bases I began to grind to beat
The Fallen and other secret bosses
, but I'm sure I could've beat the game with simply continuing. Though that proves that you can even build a powerful party very late in the game.

Krelian

No,
The Fallen is the boss from the quest you can do after you beat Irina in Darken Forest, it's the quest from Wyngale in Baaluk Pub
. I didn't beat the one you mentioned btw, since I wanted to replay it again to get
Absolute Conqueror at the end
and beat the remaining secret bosses, because I missed a few quests anyway.

Krelian said:
No,
The Fallen is the boss from the quest you can do after you beat Irina in Darken Forest, it's the quest from Wyngale in Baaluk Pub
. I didn't beat the one you mentioned btw, since I wanted to replay it again to get
Absolute Conqueror at the end
and beat the remaining secret bosses, because I missed a few quests anyway.
Oh, ok. Looked it up on youtube, and it indeed wasnt the one i was thinking of.
I do recall fighting it though. Didn't seem too bad. Not really any worse than some of the
idols

Krelian

Fistwell said:
Oh, ok. Looked it up on youtube, and it indeed wasnt the one i was thinking of.
I do recall fighting it though. Didn't seem too bad. Not really any worse than some of the
idols
Yeah, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I saw countless threads on Gamefaqs asking how to beat that boss (I didn't read them, though), apparently the biggest problem is beating him
in 10 rounds, because after that he kills everyone
. I hear that
Absolute Conqueror
is the hardest boss of them all, including every DLC boss, though, so I want to be prepared with an uber-powerful bunch of guys =P

I didn't try
the idols
, either. Wanted to beat it quickly to start a new game.

Tabris

I like how the people are telling you not to spend an extra 5 hours to avoid battles and then grind stats from higher level enemies and then say they wanted to finish the game quickly so they could play AGAIN (i.e. 40 more hours).

It's just easier to do what I'm saying so you can get 1000/1000 achievements right off the bat instead of playing a second time.

Tabris said:
I like how the people are telling you not to spend an extra 5 hours to avoid battles and then grind stats from higher level enemies and then say they wanted to finish the game quickly so they could play AGAIN (i.e. 40 more hours).

It's just easier to do what I'm saying so you can get 1000/1000 achievements right off the bat instead of playing a second time.
It really isn't all that enticing when the method you are advocating sounds boring as hell and pretty much makes the whole game trivial. This is especially true if you don't really care about the achievements and just want a challenge from the game.

I am at BR 101 now and I am pretty sure by the time I get to 111 I will be able to beat the AC.

Tabris

How is my method boring? Infact it's the complete opposite as it makes 90% of the game extremely challenging and you don't have to do a bunch of huge battles against weak monsters. What's better, 1 battle against 8 enemies or 1 battle against 1-2 enemies that takes the same amount of time but you get more stats? Personally I find the most exciting element to this game the boss battles and not a huge linked battle. I guarantee you going through my system you'll play less as you'll skip all battles except for bosses until you're ready to grind at Blackdale, First Path or Ancient Ruins and even then can be pretty quick once you get into a groove. I've only spent maybe 2-3 hours at ancient ruins just grinding (I spent more time exploring it and beating the bosses actually) and I did that while on msn chat.

I am at BR 101 now and I am pretty sure by the time I get to 111 I will be able to beat the AC.

lol let me know. Again your BR doesn't matter. What's your HP at?

Tabris said:
lol let me know. Again your BR doesn't matter. What's your HP at?
My attacking unit is around 7400, Healing Union is 5400 and my third union is 5300. I started grinding around 81 and am close to maxing out my 6 leaders stats. Hp is coming along pretty well too.

I already fought the AC at BR92 and took off around half of his HP before he finally wiped me out. Honestly I think people exaggerate the difficulty of that battle.

I guarantee you going through my system you'll play less as you'll skip all battles except for bosses until you're ready to grind at Blackdale, First Path or Ancient Ruins and even then can be pretty quick once you get into a groove.

I actually enjoy playing the game though. I never went out of my way to fight everything I come across, but I think the battle system is fun.

Krelian

Tabris said:

If you're talking about me, I said that I did perfectly alright without grinding. I only grinded, because it is what I do in every RPG to beat optional bosses. And I finished it quickly because I missed some sidequests the first time. My point is that it's not necessary to play counter-intuitively only because everyone says it is.

To get those Achievements the first time it may be easier, but not required. And my problem was missing sidequests, as I said above, and not bosses I couldn't beat. I don't know how I'll play the game this time, but I plan on getting the final Achievements too.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
The first page people are going on about this being a sort of "next-gen" SaGa. What's the basis for that? It's $37 on Amazon right now, I didn't want another RPG to play but I've got SaGa fever at the moment so I could be easily swayed.

Princess Skittles said:
The first page people are going on about this being a sort of "next-gen" SaGa. What's the basis for that? It's $37 on Amazon right now, I didn't want another RPG to play but I've got SaGa fever at the moment so I could be easily swayed.
I've played a bunch of SaGa lately too and I can see where the comparisons come from. The game's pretty Kawazu. But...I dunno, I can't think of a good way to put it. So maybe I shouldn't even be posting. But for every similarity there's a substantial difference, I'd say. It may just be me responding to the different art style but TLR inspired a whole different kind of confusion than SaGa did. Much more "huh?" than "huh!"

And I dunno if you have a PC that can play it but I'd hold off for that version. Or wait and see if they patch the 360 version. The battle animations are LONG and if that sorta thing bothers you the PC version's the way to go.

Princess Skittles said:

The battle system has some similarities to that of other saga games. You level up and learn arts in typical saga fashion.

Tabris

hidepsyence said:
So, for those who finished it, what's your opinion on the story?

It's pretty bad. Well more like typical JRPG story. Most JRPGs have had bad stories though this generation so far. (Note JRPG is my favorite genre so that comment isn't biased)

^Pretty much what Tabris said, the main story is as average as they get. The real meat of the game is in the side quests rather than the main story.

Top Bottom