• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

I beat the AC a little while ago. My BR was 112. My unions were at 9300 (rush had 40% and 50% wrislets equipped), 7743 and 5600.

Seriously, do not believe people who tell you that you have to grind early in the game or avoid all combat in order to be strong enough to beat the optional bosses, it just isn't true. I didn't grind till the end of the game (my BR was 81) when the Fallen quest became available and I had no problem with AC.

To be honest at that point the AC was pathetically easy. The DLC version is much harder.

Krelian

Schopenhauer said:
To be honest at that point the AC was pathetically easy. The DLC version is much harder.
Weird, others have told me he's the most powerful boss there is, including DLC bosses. Maybe you got lucky, or they had bad luck.

desverger

Just got the last base down yesterday. It wasn't really tricky, even if I was around BR 68 (think my highest union had 4100hp). I beat them all in one try but damn, there was a lot of swearing involved :lol

And ... Don't do base 5 last like I did :p

There are generally a few things that will help you a lot in those base battles:
-Having Blackout and getting it up
-Getting a summon
-Having special skills on your leaders
-Deal with the troops first, don't deadlock the boss before if you can avoid it.
-Every single union should be able to resurrect. This is important!

I would say at this point of the game, if you're still using leaders without special skills, you shouldn't.

Some tips for the specific bases, spoilered:
-Base 1: Snievan - Nothing tricky. His Lugh's Revenge will most likely KO an union it hits, but luckily he doesn't use it that often. Just rez and beat him up.
-Base 2: Zuido - This one was easy too. His special attack is quite weak, I never had a KO resulting from it.
-Base 3: Ludope - Galaxy. ARRGH. I had a summon that went straight for him and caused him to cast Galaxy on the first round. He also charms, once that happens just keep him deadlocked with 1 union/summon and select "Save them even if it kills them" for ALL your other unions.
-Base 4: Hannah and Hinnah - these girls hit surprisingly weak, when both of them are up their normal attacks hit for 200 and they rarely use any specials, except "Twin Snowflake" which hits a lot of people, but it never KOd an union for me. I think it occurs every 3 turns or so. Two things to watch out: Hannah will heal Hinnah if she gets low, and Hinnah will start charming and casting Overdrive after Hannah dies.
-Base 5: Young: The worst by far, the stupid Brawl he uses almost every single turn is a guaranteed KO if it hits a single union. Of course I had no Blackout or a summon coming up in this fight. I was really struggling at first but noticed if you just multi deadlock him, his Brawl will hit multiple unions. Brawl hits every unit it hits for its HP amount, it has a small aoe cone. If you get 2 unions in this cone, neither of them will KO if they are in full health. Heal heal heal!
-Base 6: Milton: Surprisingly nothing special, he will use Iron Will when he gets low in hp, which is sort of like Overdrive. But his attacks are so weak he couldn't even kill anything in those extra attacks.

Ricker

I guess the Bosses do kinda level up with your BR because i'm currently at the 6 bases and i'm BR 85 now and I still can't beat Milton.I beat the Twins yesterday at BR 85 but just barely...I started the bases at BR 75 I think and you said you killed them all at BR 68??...oh well,probably what killed me was doing a few quests over and over that didn't give me any upgrades after each trash mob fights,because I couldn't complete them at first(the quest with Glenys in particular I retried about 6 times before I figured out how to make the supposed hero appear).

desverger

What's killing you? For me, all the base bosses had rank 2 abilities. The Twins and Milton were both really easy for me, since their abilities didn't rack up a lot of damage. It might be that they actually ramp up in damage quite a lot with new ranks?

Edit: I'm using the following unions:
Union 1: Rush/Torgal + 3 extra, 3600hp
Union 2: Emmy/Jaeger + 3 extra, 4100hp
Union 3: David + 4 extra, 2600hp
Union 4: Irina + 2 extra, 1900hp

My all-out attacks rank up to 20k in damage, with a special attack I can reach 30k easily. Every union is able to resurrect and has at least one character with Revitalize for full heal. Most of the time I just attack fully with the 3 unions, break off and heal if I get too damaged, and Irina is on standby for rezzing.

Aaron

I had five unions and all but the sisters were cake. It's a matter of keeping the boss occupied with a union/summon, and rezzing them when needed.

Krelian said:
Weird, others have told me he's the most powerful boss there is, including DLC bosses. Maybe you got lucky, or they had bad luck.

The DLC version was either summoning Delta Petra, the Tao Tie or using that super nova attack every turn after he uses the skill where he was covered with flames. The AC was only doing group attacks every 2-3 turns. That in and of itself made the DLC version of the last boss harder.

I actually tanked the AC with my healing unit and the summoned unit while my main unit was in standby hording AP. A Heavens Door and Hawkerang combo took him out pretty easily after that. I was actually pretty disappointed.

Amon37

I just have to reiterate how utterly stupid it is that I have 10 Damascus Ore's and I get to the world map and Pagus asks if I can get him a Damascus Ore.

Amon37 said:
I just have to reiterate how utterly stupid it is that I have 10 Damascus Ore's and I get to the world map and Pagus asks if I can get him a Damascus Ore.

Probably because other characters have part of those 10. Or because he needs more for the weapon upgrade, at least you got to know, what they need for a weapon upgrade, the other leaders with no background history, won't tell you a thing.

There are other things that bugs me more.

Krelian

Amon37 said:
You can ignore these requests if you want to. At a certain Battle Rank they will upgrade their equipment regardless of you getting the items they want or not. The only advantage is that you can upgrade their equipment earlier if you try to track down the items they want.

Amon37

Ok now I have to complain more and I really like this game. :lol

I need fly fluid to upgrade my Otachi.
The only way to get fly fluid is to get the fly weekly.
The only way to get the fly weekly is to kill a rare monster in the Heroic Ramparts.
Since I downloaded the DLC the faq says the rare moster won't appear unless you kill the Jhana Royals.
I fought the Jhana Royals last night for literally an hour before dying and I know the rare monster isn't anywhere near as tough as this BS fight.
So now I'm stuck and have to switch weapons in order to be able to wield a more powerful weapon.

Amon37

Krelian said:
You can ignore these requests if you want to. At a certain Battle Rank they will upgrade their equipment regardless of you getting the items they want or not. The only advantage is that you can upgrade their equipment earlier if you try to track down the items they want.

True but they generally ask for items I can't even obtain yet ? Like David asking for a Mystic Skenele hours before I could get to a point in the game where I could get one.

Llyranor

Do I need to 'level up' all my leaders, or am I fine focusing on D and the 4 G's so far. I can't say I've really bothered with guild-hired leaders so far.

Amon37 said:
Ok now I have to complain more and I really like this game. :lol

I need fly fluid to upgrade my Otachi.
The only way to get fly fluid is to get the fly weekly.
The only way to get the fly weekly is to kill a rare monster in the Heroic Ramparts.
Since I downloaded the DLC the faq says the rare moster won't appear unless you kill the Jhana Royals.
I fought the Jhana Royals last night for literally an hour before dying and I know the rare monster isn't anywhere near as tough as this BS fight.
So now I'm stuck and have to switch weapons in order to be able to wield a more powerful weapon.
Well it is probably a good idea to get used to this now, because it doesn't really get any better as you progress to stronger weapons. Almost all of the top tier weapons have at least one component that is ridiculously rare and will take you hours to get.

You are probably better off just trying to find an Auld weapon of the type you have the most combat arts for and stick with that till the end of the game.

desverger

I got a question regarding The Fallen, I'm pretty much in the point of the game where I should begin gearing for him. My BR is 72 atm, but I haven't got much special attacks besides the ones you got from the bases.

I heard some characters get skills based on BR, so what sort of stuff I can expect to see and around what BR? Is there some weapon I can go and get for Rush? He's currently using Dragonfly (crafted katana).

Krelian

There are so called Weapon Arts that leaders can learn when they upgrade to their final weapon (around BR 90 - 110). They can help tremendously as they can deal more than 200.000 damage. They're not a requirement, though. You could just try to beat The Fallen now to see if you can beat him already.

I don't have much advice for Rush, though. He was actually kind of weak at the end of my game, maybe because I didn't give him a strong weapon or something. But then again, the others were so strong it hardly mattered.

desverger said:
I got a question regarding The Fallen, I'm pretty much in the point of the game where I should begin gearing for him. My BR is 72 atm, but I haven't got much special attacks besides the ones you got from the bases.

I heard some characters get skills based on BR, so what sort of stuff I can expect to see and around what BR? Is there some weapon I can go and get for Rush? He's currently using Dragonfly (crafted katana).
Your soldiers should upgrade their weapons around BR86 and that should help with doing enough damage to kill the Fallen before the 10th turn. You can tell if you are on the right track damage wise when the Fallen starts using miracle around the 6th turn. If he doesn't you probably aren't doing enough damage in the first few turns and need to grind in AR.

You definitely don't need weapon arts to beat the Fallen though.

1,000/1,000: Finally finished off my second play through, the one thing that really bothered me about this game is NM spawning. I hated having to zone in and zone out over and over again until seeing the correct monster spawn patterns. I guess that beats camping though.

I can't explain it, but I really enjoyed this game despite it's flaws. I couldn't put it down until I did basically everything there is to do, I'm pretty sure I invested around 200+ hours into it.

Quazar

SimpleDesign said:
1,000/1,000: Finally finished off my second play through, the one thing that really bothered me about this game is NM spawning. I hated having to zone in and zone out over and over again until seeing the correct monster spawn patterns. I guess that beats camping though.

I can't explain it, but I really enjoyed this game despite it's flaws. I couldn't put it down until I did basically everything there is to do, I'm pretty sure I invested around 200+ hours into it.

wtf is NM?

NOTORIOUS MONSTERS!

Is that term used outside XI anyways?

Jonsoncao

Banned
Tabris said:
lol, I just beat AC in 3 turns with 0 deaths.
GJ

i beated him in 5 turns at BR 115 using the following strategy:

union 1: Jager only, HP 3300/STR 133/INT 55, using Mystic Henge formation, a decent tank since AC couldnt do much to him

union 2: Pagus + 3 magic guys, if luckily enough, you will kick him with some nice debuff in status or attribute, Mystic Henge

union 3: Irina + 3 healers, taking care of themselves and union 2, Mystic Henge

union 4: damage union, Rush+Glenys+Caedmon (or Allan/Baulson/Khrynia/Nora or whoever uses an 82AP blue command weapon arts)+ 2 AP refill guys, well here is the thing, multi-deadlock for single bosses counted up to 3 unions, the 4th union will have a flank attack which raises your damage count dramatically; if you have Parry Taraichi or Superior Demonblade on Rush, then Rush is no doubt the leader of the damage union, also you can equip him with the silent-proof or -5 debuff accessory such that the union itself is status attack free or at least silent free; using Battle Crown

first few turns saving AP for the 4th union, until you get weapon arts command, then the damage union could do about 300k+ damage a turn

EDIT: beaten....I thought u said
Enlightened Conquerer in lavafender

Amon37 said:

dun give him, if you reached certain BR, the weapon will upgrade automatically while you going into any town and exit to the world map; by the time, the leader who upgrade his weapon will ask for some battles

hidepsyence said:
So, for those who finished it, what's your opinion on the story?
storywise this game sux a lot, shitty n choppy cutscenes(except for
Conquerer vs Emma
)
but the system is the most innovated one in years IMHO(i heard Saga series were all like this but never played any of them, so I am comparing with the turn-based rpg I played on PS2 and 360), the strategic union battle system (including how to choose leaders, trial and error in formation choosing, how to grind a leader's arts n stats) is very very rewarding in the end

Llyranor

Well, finished Disc 1 earlier today.

So far, I'd have to say this features one of the most enjoyable turn-based combat systems I've had the chance to play in recent years. I snatched it for a cheap 20$ during Boxing Day, but in hindsight, this would have been worth full price.

The story goes into 'so bad it's good' territory. I'm enjoying it for that very reason, but don't buy this game for the story. Do it for the awesome gameplay.

gkryhewy

Just started this last night. Holy crap, this game is amazing! I love the battle system, and the graphics are much better than I was expecting.

Installed to HD, of course!

desverger

Argh, I'm having so much trouble with The Fallen.

I think I'm at the right track with dps, but it's killing me actually. He uses Miracle at the start of turn 5, which is right after Animalcule (the status effect attack). At the end of turn 5 he uses Rain of Blades which usually leaves just 1 union standing :/

Giving it one more try, then going to grind more so I can get a weapon art and beat this ugly bastard.

edit: now what are the chances of that Hand of God taking Rush out. Back to grinding it is. My advice is, don't even try without weapon arts. It's just too luck based.

^ It really helps if you can get 1 or 2 of your damage dealing units to flank him.

Also, you might want to think about using Blocter in your healing group if you aren't already since the effect on the wonder bangle will cure all status abnormalities for the next round.

Tabris

Man it's taking forever to get that last 20 achievement points.

Monster Dismantler has too high of a requirement imo. Anyone have a recommendation for best spot to do this in? I'm doing a high chain count in blackdale.

^Robelia Ruins in the top floor room with the teleporter. There are around 8 or 9 (maybe more) landworms running around in the room. Linking them all together will generally net you quiet a few monster bodies. Then you can just do the save load trick to respawn them.

I admire your dedication, I don't really care enough about achievements to take the time to dismantle 500 monsters.

akenatone

Just started this game. I can make my own unions now. I am more interested in fighting and recruiting than the storyline. This is the second game (first was IU) from SE this gen that is plain uninteresting. I just hope Star Ocean 4 will offer something better.

gkryhewy

Basic question (apologies - I'm sure it's been asked and answered among these 32 pages). Is there a way to give items to other party members, or just place items in the party inventory?

Also, when a party member asks for a material on the world map screen, and it's a material I already have - do they just take it automatically, or do I need to do something else to get it to them?

This game is addicting - I played for like 8 hours today, and that never happens to me :lol

Jonsoncao

Banned
desverger said:
Argh, I'm having so much trouble with The Fallen.

I think I'm at the right track with dps, but it's killing me actually. He uses Miracle at the start of turn 5, which is right after Animalcule (the status effect attack). At the end of turn 5 he uses Rain of Blades which usually leaves just 1 union standing :/

Giving it one more try, then going to grind more so I can get a weapon art and beat this ugly bastard.

edit: now what are the chances of that Hand of God taking Rush out. Back to grinding it is. My advice is, don't even try without weapon arts. It's just too luck based.
wats your BR and union HPs?

go to beat DLC silver hellgate in aqueducts and Jhana royals in Heroic Ramparts u ll get two of the best formations(the guild reward of cuz)

gkrykewy said:
Basic question (apologies - I'm sure it's been asked and answered among these 32 pages). Is there a way to give items to other party members, or just place items in the party inventory?
Leaders will ask you for weapons and accessories if they want it but otherwise there is no way to give them stuff.

gkrykewy said:
Also, when a party member asks for a material on the world map screen, and it's a material I already have - do they just take it automatically, or do I need to do something else to get it to them?
You usually need to go get the item again. The thing is, weapons will level up at certain points in the game naturally, so if it is to much of a pain in the ass you probably shouldn't worry about it.

desverger

Jonsoncao said:
wats your BR and union HPs?

go to beat DLC silver hellgate in aqueducts and Jhana royals in Heroic Ramparts u ll get two of the best formations(the guild reward of cuz)

BR on last try was 90, and for my best try I had 4 unions (4700, 5100, 4600, 2700) with two of them concentrated only on damage, one being a mixed heal/melee union with Glenys and one rezzer union with Irina, healer soldier and lotion soldier (Hartshorn is like a free kiss of life). He got critical at the end of turn 8, but I was again ruined by a botch when Hand of God killed my union leader. It's so random :/

Maybe I should look into my formations, I'm just using Vanguard for my melee unions and Batwings for my healer unions. I haven't touched the DLC since I assumed in the beginning it would cost something, but it's still safe to download it at this point, right?

gkrykewy said:

Honestly, I never got the leaders asking for components :lol

I assume that if they mention that they need something and you go on your way to get it, you would get their weapon upgrades earlier. But they always upgrade their weapon anyway at a certain BR, so the whole thing is kind of pointless since usually finding those items takes as much time as getting your BR up (and you progress in the game as well).

I've had leaders ask me stuff, even weapons, when something is just lying on my inventory and it's better than what they have. Certain leaders also get weapon upgrades and stuff during the story.

gkryhewy

Schopenhauer said:
Leaders will ask you for weapons and accessories if they want it but otherwise there is no way to give them stuff.

Thanks all for the responses on this. Related question then. If I can't give items to party members, why does the game allow me to spend large amounts of money on equipment that my character can't use? Do I simply hope that someone will grab my unequipped stuff at some point?

gkrykewy said:
Thanks all for the responses on this. Related question then. If I can't give items to party members, why does the game allow me to spend large amounts of money on equipment that my character can't use?
I like to think of it as the game making fun of you. Leaders will only very rarely ask for weapons, but are much more likely to ask for accessories.

There are specific weapons and accessories that you can get at certain points in the game that only one specific leader will ask for. Whether or not you give them to the leader is up to you, but I don't think giving them what they want is always the best choice.

desverger

Heh, yeah, the equipping leaders part never opened to me really. Not sure how far you are in the game, but a some point you get to hire soldiers to fill up your union ranks. Sometimes they will ask components too, and supposedly strengthen their weapons as well. For some reason all my hired soldiers have those HP bracelets, I'm not entirely sure why and where did they get them :p

In retrospect I didn't pay much attention to it because the game is so hazy about it, but I don't think I've suffered much from it. I suppose your best bet is to keep Rush equipped and your leaders/soldiers will generally take care of themselves. It will help to try and keep a little ahead of Rush and think what kind of character you want to build of him, since learning new arts gets a little more difficult later in the game - although not impossible.

desverger

The requirements for learning weapon arts for Rush elude me. I managed to put together a Hawkwind and a Demonblade, but according to the Last Remnant wiki I need superior versions of these before I actually have a chance to learn anything? And even weirder is, that I can't see those versions at the weapon customization shop. Also there are a bunch of unique weapons that aren't listed on the chart, and I have no idea if you can actually learn a WA with them. I wish there was more substantial info about this game around :p

Oh well, I'm coming to the conclusion that I still can't really learn a WA for Rush for the Fallen fight. All the components for superior/better versions seem to drop in Ancient Ruins, which I don't have access yet since I can't progress the story after Undelwalt and get to the 2nd Path.

Torgal, Glenys and Emmy are still asking for components, so I suppose they still haven't reached their final weapons, even though Glenys managed to learn Swordflash already (she recently got an Optimal Tataraichi).

Hunahan

Banned
desverger - easiest way to beat the fallen is to make a super union of leaders only. Pick your 5 best, throw them all together and your defense/HP/AP/attack will be through the roof.

Take your last union leader slot with whoever is 6th best and add in your best grunt soldiers to form a second union that can heal/attack beside them, but just concentrate on letting the super union throw out damage whenever possible and it will be very difficult for them to fall. They should be around 8-9000 HP, plus the possibilities for them to throw out weapon arts/special attacks every turn will be extremely high.

If you still can't manage to win, the best place to level up is in the ancient ruins, where you can gaina lot of stats in a very short time. You can get there already. Just get the 6th path of siebenbur to unlock from talking to a Yama in Athlum (I think he is somewhere near the guilds or the bar) and then there is a door in there that the DLC key unlocks and you can enter.

desverger

Hunahan said:
desverger - easiest way to beat the fallen is to make a super union of leaders only. Pick your 5 best, throw them all together and your defense/HP/AP/attack will be through the roof.

Take your last union leader slot with whoever is 6th best and add in your best grunt soldiers to form a second union that can heal/attack beside them, but just concentrate on letting the super union throw out damage whenever possible and it will be very difficult for them to fall. They should be around 8-9000 HP, plus the possibilities for them to throw out weapon arts/special attacks every turn will be extremely high.

If you still can't manage to win, the best place to level up is in the ancient ruins, where you can gaina lot of stats in a very short time. You can get there already. Just get the 6th path of siebenbur to unlock from talking to a Yama in Athlum (I think he is somewhere near the guilds or the bar) and then there is a door in there that the DLC key unlocks and you can enter.

I actually tried this tactic, with the blue formation Claw's Grasp 3 that gives 200% attack to two members of my union, and it worked pretty darn well (was doing 60k a turn), only Animacule kinda ruined me since I didn't have any herb users.

If I can get to Ancient Ruins like you're saying, that's great news. I only thought you could get there from 2nd path. Gonna try this later, I didn't actually have any of the DLC when I went to the 6th path. Thanks!

I think if I get the Terrapin formation, upgrade my weapons in AR and get some BR (I'm 92 currently), throw Blocter and 4 healing soldiers + 1 lotion soldier to my 2nd union, this should be cake. Here's to hoping :p

Ricker

I'll try and beat Milton and the rest of the game today...haven't played in a couple of weeks and the game is sitting on my HDD,leaving me with about 1.6 of space...I think my HP for 2 Unions at least are high enough so he doesn't kill all of my 4 unions when he does his overdrive crap near the end...I want to see what's in the middle of the 6 bases circle...

desverger said:
The requirements for learning weapon arts for Rush elude me. I managed to put together a Hawkwind and a Demonblade, but according to the Last Remnant wiki I need superior versions of these before I actually have a chance to learn anything? And even weirder is, that I can't see those versions at the weapon customization shop. Also there are a bunch of unique weapons that aren't listed on the chart, and I have no idea if you can actually learn a WA with them. I wish there was more substantial info about this game around :p
I wouldn't even worry about getting a WA on Rush. Personally I found that harvesting all the rare crap that is required is way to much of a pain in the ass. Getting WA's for Torgal and Baulson or Caedmon is all you really need. You need to get customization books in order to get the advanced versions of the weapons to appear on the list.

You should be able to open up the 2nd path at/or near the beginning of the 2nd disc by talking to the Yama standing near the back of the zone in Athlum with the bar and guilds. The guy in Underwalt unlocks the 3rd path, not the 2nd.

Edit: Also, you cannot get to the Ancient Ruins from the 6th path. The only entrance is in the 2nd path.

desverger

BR 98, Torgal learned Hawkarang. After that, I basically crapped all over The Fallen at turn 5 when my union popped 100k damage on him :lol

Oh man, bloody finally. Been spending a week in here. I didn't even get any special arts during the fight, and my unions weren't any massive hp sponges either. Here's my union composition if anyone is interested:

Torgal, Rush, Emmy, 1 melee soldier, 1 lotion soldier - Turtle formation - 5100hp
Glenys, 4 melee soldiers - Unicorn formation - 5500hp - Just an AP pump for Glenys' Swordflash
Irina, Blocter, 3 healing soldiers - Mystic shield formation - 4900hp - status controlled healing union

Last few days I was just trying to complete guild tasks to get those customization books, but it really isn't possible to get a weapon that would allow a Weapon Art for Rush for the Fallen fight. The guild tasks won't unlock and some components are plain impossible to get. I just went straight to grinding BR in the Ancient Ruins, which proved quite effective.

Now I can finally finish this damn game. I'm going to Undelwalt :lol

edit: Wyngale had the decency to die 3 times during the fight, each time getting a insta-KO from The Fallen's plain melee attack

Ricker

Finally beat Milton at the 6 Bases but man was I pissed after
,after the 6th Boss in there,it goes right into another Boss fight without a damn save...went well though and even ended up beating the Blonde guy in the middle of the 6th bases
...finally i can go on,BR 87 now.

desverger

Ricker said:
,after the 6th Boss in there,it goes right into another Boss fight without a damn save...went well though and even ended up beating the Blonde guy in the middle of the 6th bases

I did Base 5 last, what a pain that was :p

Luckily, that kind of a stunt is unique to that place, so you don't have to worry about seeing something like that later. Good luck with the rest!

Tailzo

I have been interested in this game for quite a while, but all the comments about the game having technical glitches and the average reviews for the game have made me wait. I wanted to wait for a price drop, or if possible, a new version of the game (ps3 or pc) that fixes the problems.

I've read that the pc version fixes some, and if I had a powerful pc, it would run better. But sadly, my pc is weak and mostly used for digital drawing.

Then I was thinking about the ps3 version, but as I've read even in this thread, UE3 & Ps3 isn't always a good thing. Plus, I don't even know if there will ever be a ps3 version anymore. What do you think? A PC version much later (when I get a better pc in the future), a 360 version installed on the HDD (I've heard it helps) or wait for a ps3 version (that may never come and be worse)?

I want a new jrpg, but Eternal Sonata's story is so bad that I skip every cutscene. I need something else...

Llyranor

Doubtful the PS3 version will perform better, though it might have dual audio (which 360 doesn't). PC version will probably perform better. But honestly, installed, the game runs *fine*. Unless you nitpick every single technical detail in your games, it shouldn't be a problem. Loading is extremely fast, texture popups are negligeable at best (I've never noticed it for more than 1 or 2 secs), and framerate is solid in most instances (with the occasional mild slowdown - in a turn-based game, so it can't really affect the actual gameplay).

The 'average' reviews are full of crap. This features one of the better turn-based JRPG combat systems in recent years. Frankly, people who complain about the 'lack of innovation' in the genre and then skip this title are simply part of the problem. But why bother when you can play WRPGs like Mass Effect and Fallout 3?? Oh JRPGs, will you never learn? Yeah, ok.

It really is a gameplay JRPG, though. The heart of the game is through and through the combat system. The story isn't better than ES (though they're both excellent in the 'so bad it's good' category, but that's not necessarily a good thing). Don't take the story seriously.

Top Bottom