• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Taruranto

Chapter 7
I finally get Joshua back... and Olivier leaves, come on. =____= At least I got Vash the Stampede Kevin as a permanent (?) member.

Feels like the plot is stalling the revelations... come on.

zakujanai

I'm not sure why but I ran all the way back to
Where we fought the dragon
just now during chapter 8. Got stuck on a tree root and had to go back half an hour because I couldn't get free. Hardly a major bug, there's no reason to be there at all but it could still do with fixing of possible.

zakujanai

Stuff like that is why when I finished the game I had over 140 saves.

I have over 400, just stupidly hadn't done one for a while. Having said that, I've just realised it autosaves and I could've just used one of those to go back about 2 minutes. I'm an idiot >.<

wrowa

Question about chapter 9;

Boss battles in the tower: How much does the dialogue with the Enforcers change if you have the corresponding character in your party? I just encountered Walter without having Zane in my party and I wonder if it's worth it to backtrack aaaaaalllll the way back to the ship so that I can put Zane into my party (who'll be badly equipped and underleveled to make matters worse) or if the dialogue changes are insignificant anyway.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Boss battles in the tower: How much does the dialogue with the Enforcers change if you have the corresponding character in your party? I just encountered Walter without having Zane in my party and I wonder if it's worth it to backtrack aaaaaalllll the way back to the ship so that I can put Zane into my party (who'll be badly equipped and underleveled to make matters worse) or if the dialogue changes are insignificant anyway.

Depends, I think.
Walter and Luci both had extended scenes with their counterpart that couldn't have been done without them. On the other hand I didn't feel like Bleublanc really paid much attention to Kloe and Olivier outside of acknowledging them, so I don't feel like anything would have been missed without them.

I doubt Tita makes much difference with Renne since the scene seems to focus on Estelle, but I didn't try so she may lead to some changes.

Also,
you can level up sufficiently on the way to the fight, I think. Zane in particular, with True Distend he's a very good fighter even if he's a little underleveled.

My kingdom for some wind sepith.

It feels like absolutely no enemies in this game drop wind sepith.

Might get some later, because Wind was the one I had a ton of near the end of the game.

Zane and Walter + Schera and Luciola have extended dialogues before and after their battles, while Bleublanc and Renne don't have much new to say if you bring along Kloe/Olivier and Tita. Walter and Luci get a substantial amount of development in this part, but especially the latter. Bringing Zane and Schera along (you can level them really quick using the 6 Shining Pom squid encounter near the start of Tunnel 3) is a good way to experience the second and third battles

How long are Chapters 8 and 9 compared to the rest? (Main story only)
Chapter 8 is light on plot until the end when several bombs explode on you. Finale is kind of the same, with more world-building during the first half and the second being very character-based and climactic. 8 is longer than usual because of its premise but Finale is middle-tier length, longer than 6 and 7 but not quite as long as 3.

My kingdom for some wind sepith.

It feels like absolutely no enemies in this game drop wind sepith.
This kind's the hardest to get aside from Space sepith, which I depleted quickly because I love me some EP Cut Quartz.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How long are Chapters 8 and 9 compared to the rest? (Main story only)

If you just advance the story, 8 is probably shorter than average. It does have a big sidequest you probably don't want to miss though, even if you are just after story.

Chapter 9 is, um, big.

Chapter 8 is light on plot until the end when several bombs explode on you. Finale is kind of the same, with more world-building during the first half and the second being very character-based and climactic. 8 is longer than usual because of its premise but Finale is middle-tier length, longer than 6 and 7 but not quite as long as 3.

I felt like the last chapter was possibly the longest one, but that might be because
it was entirely "new"
and because it was the only chapter that took me a few days to beat due to shorter sessions.

I think 8 has a ton of variance depending on how much optional stuff you do, because the story objectives are really quick and simple. I did most of the side stuff, but if you don't I wouldn't be surprised if it was potentially the shortest chapter.

Nyoro SF

Clearly not

And damn some of the side quests in this game are more emotional and well written then entire games like at the start of chapter 6
Learning about Lila's past

That quest... I assume I'm not the only one who
recognized Lila immediately? I was like THAT'S THE MAID the moment they showed me the picture lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
recognized Lila immediately? I was like THAT'S THE MAID the moment they showed me the picture lol

I knew it immediately.
I noticed her eyes in FC, then again in SC, and kind of was suspicious of her. So when I saw the picture with the green eyes + blue hair I thought of her, but figured it couldn't be right due to the obvious name difference. Ended up being right though.

It was almost immediate for me, and I
showed the picture to her first just as a shot in the dark...how right I was
. An NPC like that having a portrait in the first place was something to be suspicious of.
Now we know why Lila prefers to keep her eyes half-open: such was the pain of losing her parents that she disassociated her new self from Raini to flee the emotional injury, meaning she found new habits and manners. It's a premonition of what Estelle figures out about Joshua

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Early chapter 9 questions:

1. I only have Data Crystals 0-3 completely analyzed, the others not yet. Did I miss anything or will they be analyzed later on?

2. I know Mueller, Julia, and Josette will join in at this chapter, I guess much later near the end battle right?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Early chapter 9 questions:

1. I only have Data Crystals 0-3 completely analyzed, the others not yet. Did I miss anything or will they be analyzed later on?

2. I know Mueller, Julia, and Josette will join in at this chapter, I guess much later near the end battle right?

The data crystals become available as you progress through the chapter. I think the last ones are available as you reach the last dungeon.

Mueller and Julia, yeah, for the very last dungeon only. Josette joins before that though.

(Early chapter 9 stuff, after a certain character joins)
Josette is just the best. Her and Estelle sniping at each other is great, and then Joshua getting dragged into things. (And Schera's comments during that scene are pretty hilarious, too) It was funny going back to the ship and talking to everyone was funny.

I especially liked the bit with Dorothy taking pictures of her. That was just such a perfect moment for both of them. I love how Josette just had no clue how to react to that.

(Early chapter 9 stuff, after a certain character joins)
Josette is just the best. Her and Estelle sniping at each other is great, and then Joshua getting dragged into things. (And Schera's comments during that scene are pretty hilarious, too) It was funny going back to the ship and talking to everyone was funny.

I especially liked the bit with Dorothy taking pictures of her. That was just such a perfect moment for both of them. I love how Josette just had no clue how to react to that.
"You've stepped on a landmine, my friend" and "(Please: bury the whip)" are choice moments

Psxphile

For the Fishing Spots side quest in Ch. 4 do I have to actually fish something out for it to count as me finding the spot? I never catch anything so I'm curious.
You have to actually catch a fish for it to count. Also any spots you "discover" in the area before actually initiating the quest will still count.

I'm not sure why but I ran all the way back to
Where we fought the dragon
just now during chapter 8. Got stuck on a tree root and had to go back half an hour because I couldn't get free. Hardly a major bug, there's no reason to be there at all but it could still do with fixing of possible.
Something like that happened to me while in Bose. Estelle got stuck bumping up between a lamp post and the side of the bridge that leads to the Airport (it's a guild quest thing). She was in there pretty good, but as a last ditch effort I tried to click my way to freedom with the mouse instead of the control pad and it worked. Just for funzies I tried to get stuck again on purpose but nothing doing. It was a million-to-one, doc... a million-to-one!

Taruranto

Chapter 7
Man, I hate how the game keeps delaying major revelationS. DECRYPTED ANCIENT CRYSTALS? AND I NEED TO WAIT TO DECRYPT THEM? Come on.

Ratrat

That BrashGames review was painful to read. Even though I can easily see how people wouldn't enjoy the game. It's too bad the game doesn't get more coverage. Oh, well.

Yeah.. it was the only one that was featured on Metacritic for a while as well D:. Now there's two but still. Unfortunate.

Is the SC as entertaining as the first? I picked up FC during the last sale and enjoyed it.

It's a direct sequel, so you'll encounter the same characters and visit the same locations, while the story continues and does a lot of crazy and emotional things.

If you liked FC I see little to no chance that you'll dislike SC.

Is the SC as entertaining as the first? I picked up FC during the last sale and enjoyed it.
Just as entertaining, though not in exactly the same ways. Its storytelling formula for the three-sevenths of an average Normal playthrough feels lazy after FC, but many individual conversations and beats in the story (plot, NPCs/side-quests, lore) go beyond. Battle system's better, music selection is more varied, there's some improvements to how the game looks here and there...SC is definitely the better game, and you're ready to go now that you've played FC. SC can be as long or short as you want, as there's just as much detail in NPC text per area/chapter as in FC (and this game has more chapters).

Meneses

I got SC for the Vita last week even though I won't play it for a while, since i've barely started the first one, but I have to mention how ridiculous it was to actually buy the game.

I couldn't find it anywhere on the EU Vita Store. I searched manually by name, I searched PSP games, Vita games, even Classics and Indies. I only found FC.

I had to go to the webpage and buy it from there so I could download it on the Vita (and it wasn't even on launch day, so they had enough time to get it right).

I mean, wtf Sony? I guess a lot of people know about the web store already, but it's still not cool to not promote a new game on the actual console.

Haven't checked again, but I hope it now shows up easily on the Store.

zakujanai

Found another really weird (and ultimately inconsequential) bug. In chapter 8 when you go to
Malga Mine to rescue the miners, I'd rescued all 4 miners and headed into the nest to rescue the bracer. In the little scene however, the bracer's sprite turned into a miner sprite a couple of times.

max_505

LOL WTF Chapter 8 character spoilers

I think almost the whole map's open now (Yay! NPC galore!), so I decided to go to Grancel after stopping by in Rolent. I was so surprised to see Mayor (well.. ex-mayor) Dalmore in that house that was for sale in Grancel. Selling sepith of all things. Ever the businessman, huh?

And Duke Dunan. WOW. It's like aliens kidnapped him, cloned him, messed with his DNA, and secretly swapped in a better version of himself. It was so funny to see him speak in a respectful manner.

It really pays to explore the world in this game.

jschreier

That BrashGames review was painful to read. Even though I can easily see how people wouldn't enjoy the game. It's too bad the game doesn't get more coverage. Oh, well.
They didn't give out early codes, they barely marketed it, and it came out a week before the November rush. Even I haven't had time to play more than ~10 hours since it came out, and I've been waiting four years for this game. I'm planning on writing something about Trails in the near future, but it'd be physically impossible for us to review SC anytime soon.

duckroll

They didn't give out early codes, they barely marketed it, and it came out a week before the November rush. Even I haven't had time to play more than ~10 hours since it came out, and I've been waiting four years for this game. I'm planning on writing something about Trails in the near future, but it'd be physically impossible for us to review SC anytime soon.

If you waited 4 years, there's no point rushing it now. Don't ruin enjoyment of a game just to rush a review as a job. Especially something like this which is basically a legacy title. It would be better in the long run to have a good write-up on the game which could create renewed interest in the game a month or two down the line. :)

LOL WTF Chapter 8 character spoilers

I think almost the whole map's open now (Yay! NPC galore!), so I decided to go to Grancel after stopping by in Rolent. I was so surprised to see Mayor (well.. ex-mayor) Dalmore in that house that was for sale in Grancel. Selling sepith of all things. Ever the businessman, huh?

And Duke Dunan. WOW. It's like aliens kidnapped him, cloned him, messed with his DNA, and secretly swapped in a better version of himself. It was so funny to see him speak in a respectful manner.

It really pays to explore the world in this game.

Yeah, that bit with Dalmore was completely unexpected. Just a really random appearance, but it was funny to see him there. That was a real reward for just going completely out of the way.

And Duke Dunan showcasing some genuine growth was nice to see, too.

Chapter 6 beaten
The Gilbert battle is only difficult if you don't find the meatballs on the ship before hand, 100% faint is over powered

duckroll

Chapter 7 progress:
Beat the first tower, the boss fight was easier than I expected on the surface. All it took was just good Arts spamming. Good thing I fully upgraded everyone just before this!
I can already tell that this chapter is going to take longer than I expected just because Falcom decided to make a sloooooooooow ass "teleportation" animation. Zzzzzzzzzz. Lol.

DPB

A question about chapter 9:

Is there a shortcut back from Axis Pillar? I want to change my party but I don't walk to all the way back through the tunnels.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A question about chapter 9:

Is there a shortcut back from Axis Pillar? I want to change my party but I don't walk to all the way back through the tunnels.

Yes, after each tunnel you can unlock the transport trolley thing. However, if you didn't unlock any of the previous ones you would need to take the tunnels back to them.

Can't imagine doing that chapter without the transport... That would take forever.

DPB

Yes, after each tunnel you can unlock the transport trolley thing. However, if you didn't unlock any of the previous ones you would need to take the tunnels back to them.

Can't imagine doing that chapter without the transport... That would take forever.

I meant the area after the three tunnels (I've already been through those) - is there a shortcut there?

Just started CH8 and still on track to finish with 100% BP. I'll never get another opportunity to get Gambler Jack Vol. 1 though ; _;
Man, this game is great. With just about each chapter i'm getting more invested in the characters in a way that i've not gotten for another game in a long while.

Top Bottom