• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Droplet

What is this Dominator (?) Quartz I keep seeing mentioned and where/when do I get it? I'm mid chapter 5

Domination is in a trap chest later in the chapter
in Garrelia Fortress
. It's a quartz that lets the character deal 2x damage with their first attack or craft.

jb1234

Made it to Chapter 2. Some of the boss fights in this game are massive difficulty spikes, at least compared to the normal battles which tend to be embarrassingly easy. Game is an alright time waster but I'm not particularly enraptured with it. It's just missing something that I can't put my finger on.

Getting sick of the way the game is handling the commoners/nobles dynamic, which is basically with no subtlety at all. Characters like Patrick might as well be introduced twirling their mustaches. The game is slowly developing its cast but Emma, Gaius and Fie remain blank slates and both Jusis and Machias are solely defined by their conflict, which was old two hours in, much less ten.

Erheller

Made it to Chapter 2. Some of the boss fights in this game are massive difficulty spikes, at least compared to the normal battles which tend to be embarrassingly easy. Game is an alright time waster but I'm not particularly enraptured with it. It's just missing something that I can't put my finger on.

Getting sick of the way the game is handling the commoners/nobles dynamic, which is basically with no subtlety at all. Characters like Patrick might as well be introduced twirling their mustaches. The game is slowly developing its cast but Emma, Gaius and Fie remain blank slates and both Jusis and Machias are solely defined by their conflict, which was old two hours in, much less ten.

The noble/commoner dynamic starts to develop more in the following chapters. There's a sidequest in chapter 3 that handled it pretty well, and it gets better from there. The game is definitely pretty heavy-handed in the beginning (something I disliked).

Bladenic

Both boss fights in chapter 5 so far have been very fast acting. Even with 2 speed buffs the boss during the field study got a lot of turns. I'm sure I could've beaten it regularly, but I decided to just use Emma and Laura's S-Craft back to back and RIP he was dead.

Cool dungeon though.

Few things of note after finishing the game.

Rean seems to be a more typical rpg Jesus character, something that I was glad that they didn't end up doing with Estelle. Hoping he has a bit more to him than that in the sequel.

Not sure if that final scene changes depending on who you brought to the dance, but it's clear where Alisa stands in potential relationships, not sure why 2 apparently lets you choose. Hopefully that is actually developed if you do choose her and it's not just Rean still being oblivious.

Crow's identity became really obvious as soon as they said he was going to the capitol at the end. They actually did a decent job at keeping that one hidden by having him show up as himself in all those scenes.

Sharon being an enforcer was pretty clear once it became known that her and Sara had a past and that she seemed to know exactly what you were doing at all times.

No way is Osbourne dead when they always made him out to be full of secrets, especially when it came to Rean.

Xeteh

Rean seems to be a more typical rpg Jesus character, something that I was glad that they didn't end up doing with Estelle. Hoping he has a bit more to him than that in the sequel.

Not sure if that final scene changes depending on who you brought to the dance, but it's clear where Alisa stands in potential relationships, not sure why 2 apparently lets you choose. Hopefully that is actually developed if you do choose her and it's not just Rean still being oblivious.

Crow's identity became really obvious as soon as they said he was going to the capitol at the end. They actually did a decent job at keeping that one hidden by having him show up as himself in all those scenes.

Sharon being an enforcer was pretty clear once it became known that her and Sara had a past and that she seemed to know exactly what you were doing at all times.

No way is Osbourne dead when they always made him out to be full of secrets, especially when it came to Rean.

Are you talking about who reacts to the very end when Valimar takes off? It has to do with whoever you dance with at the festival but Alisa's dance is the only one where either one is so overt about their feelings.

Everything takes a while to burn and settle in.

It's a long haul

I didnt like how Rean is pretty much a Gary Stu but meh moving on. IMO Alisa is "canon" romance character if there going to be one. Also enjoyed how you got to know Crow before he reveals his identity as C. But as I mention before, just assuming how anime tropes this game can be. I really really do not want the "Power of friendship" tropes thats seen in many shonen anime to come up. I mean you got the OP good guy MC, his "harem", etc so I am hoping I am wrong. And I dont believe Osbourne is dead as well. Hell if G shows up again it wouldnt surprise me.
I still like the game just didnt expect it to be so similar to generic light novel tropes. Well atleast it is presented well so I can deal with it..for the most part.

Xeteh

Final boss on Nightmare.

I keep coming really close but having to rely on the counters being a 50/50 chance is just leaving things too close, Crow does so much damage I just can't kill him before I run out of resources.

Nevermind, I got him. I feel like this fight is entirely luck on Nightmare. Really wasn't fun.

Thoraxes

Yeah it's killing me because after all that exposition and revelations about Class VII none of them asked the most fundamental question- Why skipped VI @_@ ?

They (the students iirc) asked it like, right at the beginning of the game when they introduce them as such, and Sara shrugs it off.

Gu4n

Isn't that Class VII mystery answered in the game pretty obviously though?
It is? I interpreted it as the next class, one separated from the first five classes.

Or to throw in a crackpot theory, the significance of the number seven in the series.

Bladenic

It is? I interpreted it as the next class, one separated from the first five classes.

Or to throw in a crackpot theory, the significance of the number seven in the series.

I was just referring to
Crow and whoever else being part of a test drive for the concept.
Though I suppose that doesn't fully answer it but oh well.

Just finished Chapter 5. I NEED to be able to see the events from the Crossbell side one day.

They (the students iirc) asked it like, right at the beginning of the game when they introduce them as such, and Sara shrugs it off.

Yes in the beginning, but meeting the progenitor of the entire program in Chapter 4, you would think Rean would have brought it up again @_@

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm actually going to say that this prediction might be wrong.
I was just being cynical. If I were to make a real prediction, I'd be surprised if it came out in 2016, and if it does, it will probably be towards the tail end of the year. Who knows, though.

I'll start the game next week. Any missable stuff I should look out for ? Like side quest or events.

Virtually every second of the game has missable stuff if you're going for trophies. You only visit locations once and can never go back. Events in town only happen once on certain days. People are at certain locations on certain days. It's impossible to do everything without a guide.

I was just being cynical. If I were to make a real prediction, I'd be surprised if it came out in 2016, and if it does, it will probably be towards the tail end of the year. Who knows, though.

When Ys VIII got delayed to summer 16, I kinda expected that their next Trails title ( being CS3) which imo was probably planned for fall 16 probably got pushed to 2017 as well.

Just hoping it's early 2017.

Well it was Oliviers idea so who the hell knows. Maybe he just thinks 7 is a cool number

In chapter 6 now, my go-to team has more or less crystallized as Rean (speed and interruption and good power), Laura (physical domination), Emma (crowd control), Elliot (healing), and Alisa (CP battery).

I like Fie, but she feels redundant w/ Rean, like Jusis but he's not good enough at any one thing, and like Gaius, but he's really a tank, and I don't need one. Machias don't care for (although petrify special is something).

As for other characters,
Millium and Crow are meh, Sara is great, but I don't know if she's going to be a regular, and who I really want in my team is the Radiant Blademaster, jaunty captain's hat and all.

Virtually every second of the game has missable stuff if you're going for trophies. You only visit locations once and can never go back. Events in town only happen once on certain days. People are at certain locations on certain days. It's impossible to do everything without a guide.

Eww, not a fan of this. I guess I'll use a guide in my second playthrough.

In chapter 6 now, my go-to team has more or less crystallized as Rean (speed and interruption and good power), Laura (physical domination), Emma (crowd control), Elliot (healing), and Alisa (CP battery).

I like Fie, but she feels redundant w/ Rean, like Jusis but he's not good enough at any one thing, and like Gaius, but he's really a tank, and I don't need one. Machias don't care for (although petrify special is something).

As for other characters,
Millium and Crow are meh, Sara is great, but I don't know if she's going to be a regular, and who I really want in my team is the Radiant Blademaster, jaunty captain's hat and all.

Interesting

People using Laura is a no brainer but you can honestly swap characters in an out willy nilly after that since they can all be specced to ridiculous levels

I personally love using Rean, Laura, Jusis and Machias.

Rean has Taurus and starts every fight with Motivate. Followed by the broken Noble Command (triple buff for 25 CP?!) and then Have Laura do her thing and Machias for Support with Debuffs and healing.

Its crazy. The bosses are actually harder the more turns you give them so the game almost encourages you to DPS rush everything... and gives you the tools to do so

Ascenion

I picked this up Monday.....and damn if I can't put it down. Never played a Legend of Heroes before, but I'm a Ys fan. I was totally floored by this game. I'm only in chapter 3 but I've already set aside time for the replay. Love this game.

I picked this up Monday.....and damn if I can't put it down. Never played a Legend of Heroes before, but I'm a Ys fan. I was totally floored by this game. I'm only in chapter 3 but I've already set aside time for the replay. Love this game.

If you love this when you're finished go check out trails in the sky fc/sc on steam/psn as they're just as great as this.

I'm all about that Rean/Laura/Fie/Alisa so far. Alisa handles healing and CP refills. The rest just hammer out the moves. Elliot is a good backup healer.

aravuus

"Class six, fittingly titled.. Class seven."

Lmao

Still won't be able to get more than maybe an hour into it today, so maybe TOMORROW's the day. Either way, before I start, I remember reading about breaking the game with some orb. Speed, or something? Anyone mind elaborating on this? The battle system does seem like it'd be a lot more enjoyable than TiTS's was... But still. Breaking JRPGs is fun.

"Class six, fittingly titled.. Class seven."

Lmao

Still won't be able to get more than maybe an hour into it today, so maybe TOMORROW's the day. Either way, before I start, I remember reading about breaking the game with some orb. Speed, or something? Anyone mind elaborating on this? The battle system does seem like it'd be a lot more enjoyable than TiTS's was... But still. Breaking JRPGs is fun.
Apparently stacking evade is broken. In chapter 3 now and I haven't had an opportunity to make it really broken though

Yeah Rean/Laura/Fie seem to be my main 3 for the hardest fights though I use everyone evenly. Dunno who to use for my 4th everyone is useful/great at times.

omgfloofy

Banned
Final boss on Nightmare.

I keep coming really close but having to rely on the counters being a 50/50 chance is just leaving things too close, Crow does so much damage I just can't kill him before I run out of resources.

Nevermind, I got him. I feel like this fight is entirely luck on Nightmare. Really wasn't fun.

Related spoiler:
It is absolutely luck on Nightmare. Nightmare tends to be this way sometimes.

Interesting

People using Laura is a no brainer but you can honestly swap characters in an out willy nilly after that since they can all be specced to ridiculous levels

I personally love using Rean, Laura, Jusis and Machias.

Rean has Taurus and starts every fight with Motivate. Followed by the broken Noble Command (triple buff for 25 CP?!) and then Have Laura do her thing and Machias for Support with Debuffs and healing.

Its crazy. The bosses are actually harder the more turns you give them so the game almost encourages you to DPS rush everything... and gives you the tools to do so

This is totally true. With some tweaking you can come up w/ a ton of highly functional approaches (and yeah, Jusis' 25 cp buff is great).

My team makeup is really one part character preference and one part simplicity. My Emma is set up w/ MP regenerate and pretty much no one else casts, so I don't have to worry about that. Alisa keeps everyone's CP topped up, so I don't have to worry about rationing crafts, and Elliot's healing is almost entirely craft-based for me, so I don't have to worry about that. It's basically a fairly broken but very lazy way to deal w/ the game!

This is totally true. With some tweaking you can come up w/ a ton of highly functional approaches (and yeah, Jusis' 25 cp buff is great).

My team makeup is really one part character preference and one part simplicity. My Emma is set up w/ MP regenerate and pretty much no one else casts, so I don't have to worry about that. Alisa keeps everyone's CP topped up, so I don't have to worry about rationing crafts, and Elliot's healing is almost entirely craft-based for me, so I don't have to worry about that. It's basically a fairly broken but very lazy way to deal w/ the game!

yeah there really is a huge amount of build variety even if so little of the game actually demands it

There are a handful of bosses that force your hand but its an otherwise easy game

yeah there really is a huge amount of build variety even if so little of the game actually demands it

There are a handful of bosses that force your hand but its an otherwise easy game

No doubt. I kind of like it, as it reminds me of some of my favorite classic jRPGs (e.g., FF6) where the game is easy, but there are a lot of creative ways to super-power your characters. It's sort of like a low-stress jrpg battle chemistry set or something.

No doubt. I kind of like it, as it reminds me of some of my favorite classic jRPGs (e.g., FF6) where the game is easy, but there are a lot of creative ways to super-power your characters. It's sort of like a low-stress jrpg battle chemistry set or something.

For sure

I have no issues with the casual fun im having. I still tinker with my character even though I could probably slog through doing the bare minimum

Shouta

I always assumed that they were named Class VII as a way of being outside the current system. 3 grade levels, split between Noble and Commoner = 6. Class VII is one that's regardless of background and even grade level later.

Been awhile since i played the first game though, lol.

So I just watched a translated video of the 3RD prologue

Holy shit are all these games connected! What a damn shame that we had to jump 3 games to get to Cold Steel

Just in that prologue ALONE there are so many revelations and connections!

I always assumed that they were named Class VII as a way of being outside the current system. 3 grade levels, split between Noble and Commoner = 6. Class VII is one that's regardless of background and even grade level later.

Been awhile since i played the first game though, lol.

There are 2 grade levels, first and second year, and five regular classes. Two of the classes are for nobles, and three are for commoners. I think classes III-V are bigger than classes I and II as well.

I can see wanting to separate from the other classes, though I do also find it interesting that Class VII was only comprised of first years.

The other classes are only broken up by birth, Class I-V are comprised of both first and second years.

Top Bottom