• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Baliis

Yeah before I realized that I would just aggro and run away, they'd stop running and you could stand right in their face and wait for them to turn around.

I just used Rean for everything. His swing animation is fast enough that you can swing to flinch the mob, move a bit, and swing again before it moves until you get behind it.

Nyoro SF

Just finished Chapter 1.

Interesting to hear about
Rean's style being the Divine Blade school, and Lelouch (black helmet dude) making an appearance.
. I like how as the game progresses they talk more about world components that relate to past games, like noticing that their training regimen is similar to
bracer training

Though if I hear one more character talk to me about "the power/joy of youth" I will roll my eyes so hard I will create enough centripetal force to suck my brain out of its skull cavity. More like "the power of Laura to stay on top of the game" as she was the first noble to put an actual clean smackdown on Machias in the prologue AND stayed ahead of
the investigation most of the time. And the group conversations. And the only character so far to have a meaningful conversation with Rean and not stumble/hate/suck up to him hard.

Speaking of which, I really don't like how the whole
investigation plot was handled. Very obvious criminalized army shows up, makes extremely obvious villainous statements, makes a slip-up so obvious that even my 8-year-old niece would've noticed
... really? I guess I'll chalk it up to chapter 1 stuff where they're just trying to get you used to the swing of things, but I hope future plots get a little more flexible than THAT. Otherwise, there were many enjoyable and interesting parts to this saga, such as
Rean being superbly dishonest, talking town politics in regards to noble authority and the fact that the church's influence is quite consistently strong even in Erebonia

Also I learned
my S-Craft out of nowhere so it looks like there's no real story reason for them being unlocked. Too bad! Thought they would save it for a badass moment.
The chapter 1 boss was very easy. He has
a lot of health, but that's pretty much all he's got. Stood no chance against Elliot's craft, buffed Laura.

Interesting how scarce money is in this game. I'm not interested in min-maxing but I do like to have my bases covered. The exchange rate in Erebonia is really bad compared to Liberl, 3 mira per time quartz lol... well, good thing it's not necessary to win.

I just used Rean for everything. His swing animation is fast enough that you can swing to flinch the mob, move a bit, and swing again before it moves until you get behind it.

Rean so far to me has the best method of stunning and avoiding mobs (so far) because of that wide range. Interested to see other characters and their field attacks.

Interesting how scarce money is in this game. I'm not interested in min-maxing but I do like to have my bases covered. The exchange rate in Erebonia is really bad compared to Liberl, 3 mira per time quartz lol... well, good thing it's not necessary to win.

Given how easy the game is against regular mobs, when you get quartz that drop more sepith in battle, equip it immediately. It's very minor, but every QoL improvement helps.

Also, exercise some amount of thrift in every store. The more you blaze through each chapter without needing to buy the latest equipment for everyone, the more you save for future needs. >_>

Famassu

So, about fishing. I understand that different rods affect what fish I can get, but anything else affect it? I took a quick peek at a simple fishing guide thingie that says I should be able to get two different kind of fish from the very first river you can fish in, but all I ever get are these damn Swordtails (or whatever). Can I only get the other fish in the evening or something? I'd like to make sure I fill up the fish book with new fish ASAP so I have less to worry about in terms of fishing later on.

So, about fishing. I understand that different rods affect what fish I can get, but anything else affect it? I took a quick peek at a simple fishing guide thingie that says I should be able to get two different kind of fish from the very first river you can fish in, but all I ever get are these damn Swordtails (or whatever). Can I only get the other fish in the evening or something? I'd like to make sure I fill up the fish book with new fish ASAP so I have less to worry about in terms of fishing later on.

Save/Reload

Save before you fish and reload if you don't get anything new.

But in my experience you can easily get those fishes in the other areas that they could also be found. It's easier too.

Later when you go outside Trista, I've always seem to get the new species in the first go.

While we're on the topic:
Is there a reason to use different rods, or should I always use the best one I have?
Each time you get a new rod, stick to that.

So when you get fishing rod 2 use that until you get fishing rod 3 as any new fish after that point you don't have can be fished by that rod only.

Each time you get a new rod, stick to that.

So when you get fishing rod 2 use that until you get fishing rod 3 as any new fish after that point you don't have can be fished by that rod only.
that's what I thought ty

Not super happy with how fishing works here compared to SC, but it's still enjoyable

Saved up my U-Materials from the start of the game just to get this asap

VHt01vI.jpg

totally worth it

i'm not sure that's what I would be worried about if I was surrounded by clones, Elliot

awkward

bomblord1

Banned
i'm not sure that's what I would be worried about if I was surrounded by clones, Elliot

I noticed that too what bugs me even more about it is they have a large amount of UNIQUE character models that for some reason weren't thrown in there because reasons? I mean where's Collete, Mint, Vivi, her twin? etc etc

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I mean...
It's not at all incest since they aren't related, sure thats clearly what they were going for in that trope but its still not actually incest.
Still creepy

Busaiku

Ugh, the game froze on me...
Using Autumn Leaf Cutter on the Giant Sharkodiles.
Got a Rush, and hit triangle immediately, it's on a Now Loading.

That's like an hour of talking and cutscenes.
I'm really starting to loathe this...

bomblord1

Banned
Ugh, the game froze on me...
Using Autumn Leaf Cutter on the Giant Sharkodiles.
Got a Rush, and hit triangle immediately, it's on a Now Loading.

That's like an hour of talking and crescents.
I'm really starting to loathe this...

Is that common? I'm on chapter 5 and haven't seen the game freeze once.

Derp during chapter 5's bonding scene with Laura she appears in the pool in her regular outfit which was super bizarre. Dunno if its because I had her in her class 7 winter outfit or if that always happens.

Ferris's character note update also appears on the wrong line :X

Busaiku

Ugh, I talked to everyone twice, and still only got an A...

I hate Chapter 4 so much now...
It's cause of this chapter I won't even bother with New Game Plus.

Well, now that I can't get a perfect, I guess I can just rush my through the rest of the game.
Gah, this chapter completely ruined the entire game for me.

Does Trails of Cold Steel II have these issues (terrible framerate, unskippable cutscenes with terrible framerate, game crashing)?
I really lost so much motivation to play this after this horrid experience...
If it only gets worse, I dunno if I should even bother with the rest of this.

Ugh, I talked to everyone twice, and still only got an A...

I hate Chapter 4 so much now...
It's cause of this chapter I won't even bother with New Game Plus.

Well, now that I can't get a perfect, I guess I can just rush my through the rest of the game.
Gah, this chapter completely ruined the entire game for me.

Does Trails of Cold Steel II have these issues (terrible framerate, unstoppable cutscenes with terrible framerate, game crashing)?
I really lost so much motivation to play this after this horrid experience...
If it only gets worse, I dunno if I should even bother with the rest of this.

Even on the Vita I didn't have those kinds of problems with chapter 4 outside of the framerate being a bit jank at times. Seems like you got unlucky, do you have a list of sidequest you did might help to tell you what you missed.

Busaiku

Even on the Vita I didn't have those kinds of problems with chapter 4 outside of the framerate being a bit jank at times. Seems like you got unlucky, do you have a list of sidequest you did might help to tell you what you missed.
I looked it up, and it was apparently because
I didn't walk through the sewers from the hotel.
I had a feeling this may be the case, which is why I initially saved prior to the point of no return, but in the frustration from the game crashing, I wrote over that immediately after getting through the fight which crashed on me, so I wouldn't have to go through those stupid cutscenes again.

Droplet

Childhood friend romance also creepy?

In the drama CD it turns out she didn't know Rean was adopted until 3 years before the start of the game.

I had a feeling this may be the case, which is why I initially saved prior to the point of no return, but in the frustration from the game crashing, I wrote over that immediately after getting through the fight which crashed on me, so I wouldn't have to go through those stupid cutscenes again.

You can hold circle to fast forward through the cutscenes. You won't be completely skipping them but at least all the animations and text will go faster. It does suck that your game crashed like that though (and multiple times?). I had one issue of annoyingly long loading where I thought it crashed, but ultimately it was just a long loading screen. I had more problems with Sky PC than this. I wonder if something's wrong?

You can miss up to 10 points and still get an A0 ranking for the trophy. I haven't seen any of the issues you've experienced though, I mean a few framerate sudders here and there but nothing that actually makes the game feel like its playing really slow, and never had a single crash.

-----------

On another subject, I want to talk about how freaking amazing the final chapter is.

****MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS****
So a lot of the final chapter in the first part is great, seeing the festival and interacting with the many different characters is just awesome, I really wish the concert would have actually had some vocal parts besides the last song but its still laugh out loud funny to see Machias and Jusis on stage doing a duet. Then you have the final level of the school house which is interesting and much better then any other dungeon in the game since it isn't running from point A to point B the entire time, and Loa is a sick 'final' boss even if on Nightmare I felt was a bit to easy if you set your party up the right way.

But the best part of the final chapter comes after that, and the bonfire scenes (which I've already said in a previous post are great for the most part), its the tone shift that happens at the end of the festival when Claire gets that fateful call and EVERYTHING changes. It skips to a week later and the tension on campus is crazy. You have kids that were so relaxed and carefree before in complete shock at what happened to Garrellia Fortress that they can't even speak. The music sets the tone surprisingly well and there is just a since of dread because everyone knows now that the Empire is going to war and its scary to think that Garrellia was wiped out in such a fashion that people are downright scared and you as the player can feel that, you can see almost all of the characters showing so many conflicting emotions to what they know is about to happen and the game convinces you 'okay this is how it ends, Class 7 is going to war with Crossbell, thats why were getting Cold Steel 2.'

And then the twist happens, and despite the C=Crow thing being fairly easy to figure out no one can say they saw the noble faction starting a god damn hostel takeover with mechs happening, the game has built the tension making you expect one thing but goes in a COMPLETELY different direction so expertly, all of the noble faction plotting throughout the ENTIRE game comes full force without warning and even though its crazy enough to see Heimdallr get taken over it gets worse as they are marching towards Trista RIGHT NOW with Crow revealed as C and everything has come down to this. The teachers show off some amazing feats (great fanservice here, absolutely loved the banter) and even Sharon shows up to help and has her identity revealed. But the Teachers can only cover one entrance of Trista and its up to you and the rest of Class 7 to cover the other side, so you take on one of these giant mechs just as you normally would and you actually WIN, that is an awesome moment to see that these weapons are crazy powerful but Class 7 is just as strong... as a single mech at at least. Then you have Scarlet showing up and wrecking face and then we finally get the other plot thread that's been building since early in the game, Rean the Awakener. Valimar activates (and rides the elevator up to the surface somehow lol) and shows up just in time to save Class 7's ass and Rean gets a god damn mecha to pilot. You beat Scarlet and then fucking Crow shows up and hes a freaking Awakener too with his own Mech and you fight and although Rean wins Crow pulls out a trump card and beats Rean down, the rest of Class 7 jumps in to try and stop Crow's mech while they all tell you that you need to run and Valimar does so despite Rean's wishes, he is forced to flee against his own will and the mech takes him away as hes basically kicking and screaming for Valimar to go back. End of game.

God.

Fucking.

Damn.

What a way to not only set up the second game but tie up so many plot points from the game and bring them force full all one right after another, everything builds to this final chapter and even if you figure out some things there is no way you can guess exactly what happens and how. I didn't even go over the broadcast Vita does to show everyone at school what just happened but regardless I think you get the point, the way this game does its ending is easily one of the best ever. Sure its a cliffhanger but this imo is how you do a PROPER cliffhanger, it sets up the next game while bringing most of the plot threads from the entire game to full force at the very end, it doesn't answer every question but it does touch on all of them all right after another and just makes you want to pick up the second game right this second and waiting for it is going to be painful.

Also I really can't wait to see all of the npcs show up in CS2, I want to know what happens to Bridget and Alan and if they actually get together, I want to know what happens to Trista in the aftermath as well as the rest of the school and its staff. I want to know what becomes of the rest of Class VII from that point (I actually spoiled some of this for myself already XD) and I want to know what or who Rean is as well as Valimar, Celine, Emma, Vita, ect.

God I can't wait for Cold Steel 2.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Awesome post
Well said. These are my thoughts as well.
The music when it shows the article detailing Garrelia's "destruction" was perfect.

aravuus

Alright, it's 10pm already but I FINALLY get to actually play the game. No early wake up tomorrow, so I can play all night.

At first I thought I'd ignore all NPCs, but now I kinda feel like talking to them. Gonna try and talk to everyone once every day and possibly after any major events. Also gonna try and do all side quests.

First impressions so far are much, much more positive than with TiTS.

Busaiku

Not really as interested in the trophy, but it was just the completionist in me. Gonna be irking me till the end.
But speaking of music, this was the redeeming feature of chapter 4 me though. I absolutely loved the happy Summer music.

Dio

Banned
Exactly, this games OST deserves an award of its own. God I wish Falcom had the budget to make a AAA RPG it could be amazing.

Lucky for you, Cold Steel II's soundtrack eclipses the first game's.

Hell, Azure has a better soundtrack, too, IMO. It just goes to show you that even though I loved this game's soundtrack, Falcom Sound Team JDK has been one of the best music team in the game industry for almost 30 years, and has made multiple soundtracks even better than Cold Steel's.

jb1234

Lucky for you, Cold Steel II's soundtrack eclipses the first game's.

Hell, Azure has a better soundtrack, too, IMO. It just goes to show you that even though I loved this game's soundtrack, Falcom Sound Team JDK has been one of the best music team in the game industry for almost 30 years, and has made multiple soundtracks even better than Cold Steel's.

I'm curious as to how that works, given that Cold Steel II's soundtrack is two discs shorter. Does it just reuse a lot of music from the first game?

Dio

Banned
I'm curious as to how that works, given that Cold Steel II's soundtrack is two discs shorter. Does it just reuse a lot of music from the first game?

Yes, it does. Yes, it's 2 discs instead of 4 thanks to that. It's still a stellar OST, and the new tracks are even better than CS1's by themselves.

aravuus

Is fishing worth it? For the prizes, I mean. I don't care about trophies or stuff like that. I do side quests either for their story content or the useful equipment/orbments/whatever they give.

e: Also how important is cooking on the lower difficulty levels? Looks like the ingredients fetch a pretty nice price when sold, kinda want to just sell them all

Is fishing worth it? For the prizes, I mean. I don't care about trophies or stuff like that. I do side quests either for their story content or the useful equipment/orbments/whatever they give.

You can trade for some useful equipment and quartz, and fishing is also a decent way to get some extra sepith.

flowsnake

You get some good master quartz for catching every fish but that's late in the game.

I'd say just do it for the extra sepith early on at least.

Shinypogs

I started playing last night and made it to the start of my first free day before I stopped for the night. I'm enjoying things even though I had forgotten how much of a slow burn these things are. I fucking love the combat and I feel like I'm going to enjoy fighting much more than I tend to in similar games. If nothing elses it's nice to switch between this and Pillars of eternity for two styles of combat I enjoy.

Machias is my least favorite class mate and I have zero interest in using him if I don't have to. I'm sure he'll get fleshed out nicely over the game but in every party based game there are characters I don't click with who get sidelined.

Fie and Gaius are the characters I find myself fondest of so far. We shall see if that holds true the whole game or if others become dearer to me.

Now time to get back to the game.

Top Bottom