• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Shouta

There are 2 grade levels, first and second year, and five regular classes. Two of the classes are for nobles, and three are for commoners. I think classes III-V are bigger than classes I and II as well.

I can see wanting to separate from the other classes, though I do also find it interesting that Class VII was only comprised of first years.

The other classes are only broken up by birth, Class I-V are comprised of both first and second years.

I guess it's been awhile. There was too much information to deal with in the game that first time to remember now unless it was a big plot point, lol.

Dio

Banned
Anyone know what Falcom's reasoning was for starting Cold Steel in media res?

Probably to give people a taste of the combat to come.

For example, it takes quite a while in early Trails titles to even get into combat.

I assume since they designed the game as a nice place for newcomers to jump in that they'd get to 'play something' instead of having to sit through 30 minutes of dialogue and characters before fighting something - good dialogue and good characters, but still.

jb1234

Definitely getting the impression this is a much bigger game than I expected. I was thinking 30 hours. I'm not bothering to talk to every NPC because just like with FC, no one particularly has anything interesting to say (at least related to the plot or any of the main cast). I can see how other people would find the constantly changing NPC dialogue to be interesting but I'm not one of those.

Definitely getting the impression this is a much bigger game than I expected. I was thinking 30 hours. I'm not bothering to talk to every NPC because just like with FC, no one particularly has anything interesting to say (at least related to the plot or any of the main cast). I can see how other people would find the constantly changing NPC dialogue to be interesting but I'm not one of those.

I wasn't into talking to all the NPCs that much in the Sky games, but the addition of fast travel here made it so more convenient that I ended up doing it in this game.

Vanethyr

I realise this is probably a question best left for XSEED/Marvelous (had a quick look around as well but couldn't find a definite answer), but does anyone know if cross-saves are region free for this game?

I imported the Lionheart Edition for the Vita since I didn't have any faith in it being sold in the UK, and I couldn't fight the urge to play it any longer. Double dipping on the PS3 version to show some support for Europe as well, but I was wondering if I'd be able to use the network saves from a US copy with a UK copy when it comes out.

It seems to be a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to PS3 and Vita games having region free cross-saves so was hoping someone here could enlighten me!

Gu4n

I realise this is probably a question best left for XSEED/Marvelous (had a quick look around as well but couldn't find a definite answer), but does anyone know if cross-saves are region free for this game?

I imported the Lionheart Edition for the Vita since I didn't have any faith in it being sold in the UK, and I couldn't fight the urge to play it any longer. Double dipping on the PS3 version to show some support for Europe as well, but I was wondering if I'd be able to use the network saves from a US copy with a UK copy when it comes out.

It seems to be a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to PS3 and Vita games having region free cross-saves so was hoping someone here could enlighten me!
Since Japanese cross saves aren't working with the American version, I don't think the American will be with the European. But colour me surprised if they do!

Just asked them and it doesn't. It has different product codes per region.

Taruranto

In chapter 6 now, my go-to team has more or less crystallized as Rean (speed and interruption and good power), Laura (physical domination), Emma (crowd control), Elliot (healing), and Alisa (CP battery).

I like Fie, but she feels redundant w/ Rean, like Jusis but he's not good enough at any one thing, and like Gaius, but he's really a tank, and I don't need one. Machias don't care for (although petrify special is something).

As for other characters,
Millium and Crow are meh, Sara is great, but I don't know if she's going to be a regular, and who I really want in my team is the Radiant Blademaster, jaunty captain's hat and all.

Jusis has Noble Command, which makes him a perfect addition to any team.

blackw0lf

I think you should definitely talk to all of the academy students each time. Almost all of them have their own unique stories that they experience throughout the game. Plus a few are connected to what the main cast is experiencing.

You can look in the character section in your notes and see information about the ones you've talked to, with more info to uncover.

Erheller

I think you should definitely talk to all of the academy students each time. Almost all of them have their own unique stories that they experience throughout the game. Plus a few are connected to what the main cast is experiencing.

You can look in the character section in your notes and see information about the ones you've talked to, with more info to uncover.

That reminds me, in Chapter 4,
if you go the the infirmary while you're looking for Elise, the nurse and a teacher are talking about a student getting hurt. What's the story there?

any important item missable if i don't talk to every npc twice? i mean those books or similar stuff. kinda lazy to do that this time. these talking heads are so ugly in this game. why didn't they use proper art? the portraits were totally fine in earlier games.

Varion

That reminds me, in Chapter 4,
if you go the the infirmary while you're looking for Elise, the nurse and a teacher are talking about a student getting hurt. What's the story there?
It was Hibelle. You don't see him again until the next chapter, when he says he hurt it last month (so, during chapter 4). The only real hint you get as to who it is during chapter 4 is Rosine saying he 'has a very important event to take part in next month' (the Wind Orchestra's concert in Trista chapel). They never say EXACTLY how he got injured that I can remember, but yeah, that was when it happened.

pariah164

On a NG+, is there a way to tell which affinity chats you didn't get the first time around? My memory is not the best, so this is kind of a big deal for me.

bomblord1

Banned
Alright so how do I get above a B? The first few chapters I just thought well I know I missed a question here or an optional quest there but this chapter (Chapter 4) I hit ALL optional quests got all questions right and didn't miss a single AP chance given to me but I still got a B.

Dio

Banned
Alright so how do I get above a B? The first few chapters I just thought well I know I missed a question here or an optional quest there but this chapter (Chapter 4) I hit ALL optional quests got all questions right and didn't miss a single AP chance given to me but I still got a B.

You did? What about the hidden sidequests?

zephry

Probably the best choice for a subtitle if it had to have one.
I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of the game, especially those who haven't had the opportunity to play through Zero/Ao first.

Thankfully the Korean version retains the Japanese voice. I bought the VITA version a long time ago and looking forward to starting.

jb1234

I'll give that a shot. One thing I definitely want to give this game credit for is the soundtrack. Falcom always delivers the goods there.

Xeteh

Do I want to get the Vita or PS3 version?

Also, does anyone have any pictures of the DLC outfits?

Load times are better on the PS3 and while the framerate isn't great (in certain places) on either from what I've heard its a slight bit better on the PS3.

The DLC outfits if you look on the PS Store are shown there.

Dio

Banned
I didn't know
the swimming lessons were
considered hidden I definitely got that one.

There's another set of swimming lessons with
Instructor Neithardt

It's on the day after the time you do the swimming minigame as part of the story.

One of the things I like about this is how much backstory/NPC lore/etc is completely utterly optional without the main jist of the narratives, motives, theming, and plot suffer for it. When Big Shit happens, you'll have had a good idea of what and why.

Lol its so ridiculous

I basically use him for Buffs and support between attacks

Hes basically the Jack of all trades character

He's my healer/buffer/debuffer.

Starting to like the guy a lot more now that I'm getting inside his head more as the plot grinds on, too.

Bladenic

Lol its so ridiculous

I basically use him for Buffs and support between attacks

Hes basically the Jack of all trades character

Yeah honestly idk if I would even consider using him if not for Noble Command, but his ATS is pretty high so he's good as a mage (not nearly as good as Emma but she's the best so).

flowsnake

Well, that was kind of a weird final boss.
Felt much more like a puzzle than most fights. It took me three tries but was sort of fun trying to optimize it. I wouldn't have wanted it to be any harder though.

After initially feeling like Normal was way too easy, I'm now kind of glad I didn't have to deal with some of the later boss bullshit on harder difficulties. Although since you can just drop the difficulty down after dying, it wouldn't have been the end of the world.

Jusis has Noble Command, which makes him a perfect addition to any team.

Sort of. Sometimes I start battles w/ him for the buff, then switch him out for Alisa/Elliott for cp/hp top ups. But I don't need the buff outside of boss fights, and aside from Noble Command he doesn't have much to do, so he usually just ends up on the bench. Note, I'm not playing on nightmare or anything.

Xeteh

Well, that was kind of a weird final boss.
Felt much more like a puzzle than most fights. It took me three tries but was sort of fun trying to optimize it. I wouldn't have wanted it to be any harder though.

That fight is even worse on Nightmare, once you figure it out it comes down to luck and it is super frustrating.

Balancing is strange. At no point do normal enemies really pose a threat, same with minibosses or trap chests. Bosses on the other hand can kill you real quickly if you don't know what to expect.

Hikami

At no point do normal enemies really pose a threat
Enemy advantage encounters say hi

Only time I actually had to lower the difficulty and retry. Got ambushed by like 8 enemies who kept inflicting status effects that made my party unable to act. Last save was too long ago so I had to just keep retrying.

Xeteh

Enemy advantage encounters say hi

Only time I actually had to lower the difficulty and retry. Got ambushed by like 8 enemies who kept inflicting status effects that made my party unable to act. Last save was too long ago so I had to just keep retrying.

I feel like any time that happens someone has an s-break up and you clear out a good chunk. Worst case you should have picked up some smoke grenades. Only times I really ever got caught with an enemy advantage is if I was just trying to run past, enemies are pretty dumb and its easy to force them to turn around for you.

Hikami

I feel like any time that happens someone has an s-break up and you clear out a good chunk. Worst case you should have picked up some smoke grenades. Only times I really ever got caught with an enemy advantage is if I was just trying to run past, enemies are pretty dumb and its easy to force them to turn around for you.
Yeah, didn't have an s-break ready then unfortunately.

I didn't find out that you could just
switch characters on the field to make enemies stop moving temporarily
til the last 2 chapters.. always got the triple advantage after that. Guessing that's a bug and not intentional though.

Xeteh

Yeah, didn't have an s-break ready then unfortunately.

I didn't find out that you could just
switch characters on the field to make enemies stop moving temporarily
til the last 2 chapters.. always got the triple advantage after that. Guessing that's a bug and not intentional though.

Yeah before I realized that I would just aggro and run away, they'd stop running and you could stand right in their face and wait for them to turn around.

kagamin

If you're sensitive at all to small font sizes, I'd really go for the PS3 version. I own both and I think that the Vita version's tiny text is an even bigger problem than its frame rate issues.

The only small font size problem I have is on the map screen, it bothers me slightly...

Busaiku

Augh, I put Jusis and Gaius in the casual clothes then lost control of them this chapter.
Put everyone else in the uniforms, and the contrast is driving me nuts.

Ugh... This Platinum...

So... (Minor Final Chapter Spoilers)
I got all of the bonding trophies besides Sara's, I thought I did an event with her in Chapter 6 but it seems I was mistaken and didn't use any tickets on her so now I have to playthrough the entire final dungeon again... Ugh.... god damn it.

Speaking of which...

MAJOR Final Chapter Spoilers (involving events related to many of the main cast members, you have been warned!)
After doing all of the bonfire events besides Sara's now what was everyones favorites?

I really liked Alisa's because she and Rean actually admit they have feelings for each other which I wasn't expecting. I really liked Crow's as well despite what he ultimately ends up doing, Fie was nice and I'm glad that not all of the girls were about a romance element, hers was about finding a family within Class VII. Millium was hilarious when she called out no one else wanting to dance with Rean XD. Lastly I liked Towa's a lot too, overall the comment was just okay but her reaction to being asked to dance (WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?) and then the 'serial head patter' comment had me laughing so hard I nearly dropped to the floor. I really liked Alisa/Rean as a pairing but if not I would absolutely go for Towa/Rean I don't think they fit quite as well but Towa is just so cute.

I think the ones I liked to least were Emma's (because nothing actually happens, she barely admits anything and nothing is resolved so it feels like its not used well as the major event it is for other characters) and many of the guys just felt somewhat underwhelming all of them are generally about how thankful they are for Rean and the rest of Class VII and how they are better people for it, which is nice but they are all that way for the most part. I did Elliots and Machais back to back and they are oddly similar, I wish more of them were like how Fie presents it as Class VII has become her new home and shes finally comfortable around someone like she hasn't been since her previous leader, I wanted more detail like that from some of the guys but maybe I'm just nitpicking.

Top Bottom