• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Im at critical mass. I cant play anything else or even watch any shows cause all i think about is wanting to play this game.

This is where I'm at as well. I have a HUGE backlog that I really could be working on, and right now I have quite a bit of time to spare while my schedule shakes out... But all I can do is keep hitting refresh on these threads and YouTube.

ReitStuff

This! My Xbox One collects dust for nearly 2 weeks now (since I've finished RE7) just because I can't bring myself to play anything else than Breath of the Wild.

I've been mindless playing some Halo campaigns on easy mode to pass the time, but I agree, it's hard to start a new game at this point with Zelda constantly on the mind.

kiri

Hey guy - just back from a Switch preview event.

For those that have played Zelda, did you find that you kept accidentally crouching? As its mapped to the Left Stick (pressed), on a number of occasions I found myself hitting it accidentally.

WadeitOut

I'm seriously considering just cancelling my Horizon preorder and restarting Gamefly for it...I'm going to need Tuesday/Wednesday to prepare my mind and body.

Kthulhu

Do people take the timeline seriously (outside of obvious ones like OOT > MM)?

I feel like Nintendo cobbled it together because of fan demand, but they don't actually consider it canon.

Probably cuz it is. I think they only started doing it recently.

I honestly hope they just end it. Zelda should be like Final Fantasy, where most of the games exist in their own universe with common elements between them.

RoKKeR

Hey y'all, quick question that I think I already know the answer to, but here it is. I have an adopted sister who is 10 and has only been speaking English for a little over two years.... this game is probably a bit too inaccessible for her, correct? She is conversationally fluent, smart, and is actually a great game player, but her reading skills are poor. I'm guessing that Zelda would probably be just a bit to difficult for her to play on her own without someone helping to explain/read things for her, is that correct?

Thanks.

Bonus question: What Switch launch games would be good for her? She has been saving her money for this and really really wants Splatoon, but I'm worried that she might not have much to play until then. 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, Skylanders?

Hey y'all, quick question that I think I already know the answer to, but here it is. I have an adopted sister who is 10 and has only been speaking English for a little over two years.... this game is probably a bit too inaccessible for her, correct? She is conversationally fluent, smart, and is actually a great game player, but her reading skills are poor. I'm guessing that Zelda would probably be just a bit to difficult for her to play on her own without someone helping to explain/read things for her, is that correct?

Thanks.

Bonus question: What Switch launch games would be good for her? She has been saving her money for this and really really wants Splatoon, but I'm worried that she might not have much to play until then. 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, Skylanders?

She might be able to play it since the visual and audio signposting in this game seems to be top tier which is what most Nintendo games aim for. She might need some help understanding some words, but the strong body language can easily convey the information she needs to get the gist of situation anyway.

She might struggle a bit with how much there is to juggle, it's a complex game, far more than Zelda 1 is and starting off with something like Snipperclips would be good before BoTW as a warm up of sorts.

As for your second question.
Bomberman. Seriously. Doesn't need much reading comprehension and it's fun as hell and you'll make tons of memories with her. ARMs probably would be great as would be Mario Kart 8 Deluxe when they come out.

Can the mods edit the first post of each page of this thread as to whether or not the contents of each respective page has been compromised to to incidental or accidental spoilers?

I wish :(

Minnow

Thanks.

Yeah Zelda games are pretty text heavy. Somehow I played them (majora's mask/oot) as a young kid without much trouble though?(i honestly don't know how)

Some of the indie titles coming out on the switch may also prove entertaining for her.

Welp, not that it ever was, but the Zelda spoiler thread is absolutely not safe anymore.

Every time I come on GAF I see "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread" and "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread". It's so hard not to click on that spoiler thread but I've thankfully not touched it once.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Thanks.

The game definitely will require some fluency as only some of the cutscenes are voice acted. That said there are screens around of some of the conversations and they don't seem TOO complicated so it could be a learning tool if you're there with her. It's also a game with which you could probably go long stretches without reading too much text.

Snipperclips would be a good way to go. There will be some indie games too. Shovel Knight isn't at launch but should be soon.

Jobbs

Banned

Does she like platformers? Shovel Knight is a lot of fun.

Kindekuma

Banned
Wii U version of the game broke street date in the EU.

Person uploading a picture of the game case and receipt has been asked by like 100 people for the TIK file lol.

Seiniyta

Next Zelda should be one huge dungeon, the overworld itself being one giant dungeon that shifts and changes depending on what Link does in the game. Put in a charming steampunk style setting.

Every time I come on GAF I see "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread" and "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread". It's so hard not to click on that spoiler thread but I've thankfully not touched it once.

Accidentally clicked on it yesterday. Got extremely lucky.

Just a request, but can we keep all spoilers, including tagged spoilers out of this thread? It's way too easy to accidentally spoil something.

Totally fake example:

"Apparantly
Bishoptl
is in the game. Which means there may be other OOT characters to be found"

LotusHD

Banned

Just subscribe to the former lol

EDIT: Or can juniors not do that, I forget lol

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Thanks.

What's her native language? She could always switch over to that if she finds the English too difficult in BotW. Only downside is that you can't do that natively in the game, but have to do it through the system options.

Most of the language in Zelda isn't all that complicated and seeing as the game has VO for the cutscenes any of the major story bits shouldn't be hard for her to follow. The trouble could be with normal NPCs who aren't voiced. If she has a phone or tablet on hand it might be useful to have Google translate or the like open as none of the dialogue should be all that long or hard to type in. It might prove to be a good tool for her improving her skills with the language. There will be a good amount of text, but comparatively not that much to most story heavy games.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm currently rewatching the Gametrailers Zelda Retrospective. It was my first exposure to GT and I absolutely loved every single one they put out. Do they do these with Easy Allies?

RoKKeR

She might be able to play it since the visual and audio signposting in this game seems to be top tier which is what most Nintendo games aim for. She might need some help understanding some words, but the strong body language can easily convey the information she needs to get the gist of situation anyway.

She might struggle a bit with how much there is to juggle, it's a complex game, far more than Zelda 1 is and starting off with something like Snipperclips would be good before BoTW as a warm up of sorts.

As for your second question.
Bomberman. Seriously. Doesn't need much reading comprehension and it's fun as hell and you'll make tons of memories with her. ARMs probably would be great as would be Mario Kart 8 Deluxe when they come out.

Yeah Zelda games are pretty text heavy. Somehow I played them (majora's mask/oot) as a young kid without much trouble though?(i honestly don't know how)

Some of the indie titles coming out on the switch may also prove entertaining for her.

The game definitely will require some fluency as only some of the cutscenes are voice acted. That said there are screens around of some of the conversations and they don't seem TOO complicated so it could be a learning tool if you're there with her. It's also a game with which you could probably go long stretches without reading too much text.

Snipperclips would be a good way to go. There will be some indie games too. Shovel Knight isn't at launch but should be soon.

Does she like platformers? Shovel Knight is a lot of fun.

Thank you all for the responses! Super helpful. It seems it might be best for her to pass on Zelda for the time being, though I can't imagine it'll be too long before she is picking up more complicated games similar to it.

I will definitely look into Bomberman and a few of the other indies like Shovel Knight – thanks!

What's her native language? She could always switch over to that if she finds the English too difficult in BotW. Only downside is that you can't do that natively in the game, but have to do it through the system options.

Most of the language in Zelda isn't all that complicated and seeing as the game has VO for the cutscenes any of the major story bits shouldn't be hard for her to follow. The trouble could be with normal NPCs who aren't voiced. If she has a phone or tablet on hand it might be useful to have Google translate or the like open as none of the dialogue should be all that long or hard to type in. It might prove to be a good tool for her improving her skills with the language. There will be a good amount of text, but comparatively not that much to most story heavy games.

Chinese. That's actually not a bad idea if it could help her with the game's systems. (HUD, item management, don't know much about the game but I assume there is a good deal of this in there)

JaseMath

Just a request, but can we keep all spoilers, including tagged spoilers out of this thread? It's way too easy to accidentally spoil something.

Totally fake example:

"Apparantly
Bishoptl
is in the game. Which means there may be other OOT characters to be found"

These are the worst kinds of spoilers. Spoilers that spoil the spoiler tag.

I'm currently rewatching the Gametrailers Zelda Retrospective. It was my first exposure to GT and I absolutely loved every single one they put out. Do they do these with Easy Allies?

They did one for Deus Ex. Zelda Retrospective was also my first exposure to GT! I watched through the whole thing again last month.

Top Bottom