• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

It's starting to feel like, at best, this could be another Metal Gear Solid V: A Japanese game that takes a formula popular with western developers and improves upon it with better controls, more varied tools, and in general just a better gameplay foundation.

MGSV has big issues with Balancing and solidified my opinion that a pure open world stealth game does not work as well as it should. Stealth Games need intensely designed levels like Ground Zeroes.

Zelda appears to justify its world through its adventure focus and absolute freedom to tackle the game as they see fit. While there is a Main story, Hyrule is basically one giant level that the player pieces and weaves around. In addition, the durability, weather and temperature systems force the player to vary up their approaches regularly to problems. Add in Nintendo's penchant for extremely creative scenario design and the rest is history.

So in a sense, MGSV's dynamism might be the base potential we're talking here.

Kthulhu

I can't stop watching videos of this game. These last days are going to be unbearable.

Bruh I couldn't contain it on Friday, let alone today. I can't stop talking about this game and the Switch. Even to my friends and family that don't give a shit about videogames.

VDenter

Banned
The vast majority of missions involved watching an unskippable credits sequence, riding/driving through a big empty world until you got to your destination, sneaking your way through a base to extract someone and then running back to an extraction point. The gameplay mechanics are varied but the structure and pacing are repetitive as hell.

You do realize that you can start up most mission through the over world and thus dont really have to watch the credits? The over-world was mostly there to let you approach the basses and camps from any direction and give you breathing room in between tense areas.

Cerium

dzz50gbdk9iy.jpg

Fingers crossed the Wii U version runs at an at least acceptable state. Not expecting anything crazy but I hope it's at least somewhat solid.

Edge and german Gamepro gave it the same score. EDGE review also talked about little drops and rarely when it matters, so I doubt there will be serious differences who make the WiiU version much worse.

SomTervo

Regardless of how people feel about MGSV, BotW looks like a much tighter experience.

MGSV's open world isn't a sandbox. It's not a play space. It's a bunch of levels glued together with capacity so that you can approach the levels from any direction and strategise.

BotW's open world evidently IS a sandbox. There are gameplay opportunities peppered every which way. Exploration and interacting with the world are a constant gameplay loop.

Totally unlike MGSV where the world is just there to enable approaches to the missions, rather than being a key part of the loop itself.

Agree with everyone else, there is something huge in the spoiler thread that will probably devastate those sensitive to spoilers so DO NOT OPEN IT.

DON'T EVEN SAY THINGS LIKE THIS I'M ALREADY ANXIOUS ENOUGH WAITING FOR THIS GAME TO COME OUT AND I'M ON THE VERGE OF A MELTDOWN TRYING TO FORCE MYSELF NOT TO CLICK ON ANY SPOILERS.

Speely

Banned
DON'T EVEN SAY THINGS LIKE THIS I'M ALREADY ANXIOUS ENOUGH WAITING FOR THIS GAME TO COME OUT AND I'M ON THE VERGE OF A MELTDOWN TRYING TO FORCE MYSELF NOT TO CLICK ON ANY SPOILERS.

Just don't. It's only 5 days, homie! You can give the GotG 5 days after all this time. You CAN.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Basically
spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler

Top Bottom