• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

LotusHD

Banned
These are the worst kinds of spoilers. Spoilers that spoil the spoiler tag.

Also I hate this:

Spppppppppppppppppppoooooooiiiiiiiilllleeeeeer

You have absolutely no idea what the post is putting in spoilers, it could either be a tame one that you might be fine with, or something huge. Takes a few seconds to just label it lol

VanWinkle

Hey y'all, quick question that I think I already know the answer to, but here it is. I have an adopted sister who is 10 and has only been speaking English for a little over two years.... this game is probably a bit too inaccessible for her, correct? She is conversationally fluent, smart, and is actually a great game player, but her reading skills are poor. I'm guessing that Zelda would probably be just a bit to difficult for her to play on her own without someone helping to explain/read things for her, is that correct?

Thanks.

Bonus question: What Switch launch games would be good for her? She has been saving her money for this and really really wants Splatoon, but I'm worried that she might not have much to play until then. 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, Skylanders?

Rayman Legends is going to be a launch game, right? That is one amazing game.

chadboban

Agree with everyone else, there is something huge in the spoiler thread that will probably devastate those sensitive to spoilers so DO NOT OPEN IT.

Rayman Legends is going to be a launch game, right? That is one amazing game.

Nope, Rayman Legends is simply a 2017 title but it has some brand new levels exclusive to the "Definitive Edition" which seems to only be on Switch. I imagine they revolve around HD rumble.

Mandelbo

Hey guy - just back from a Switch preview event.

For those that have played Zelda, did you find that you kept accidentally crouching? As its mapped to the Left Stick (pressed), on a number of occasions I found myself hitting it accidentally.

lol I did this a few times by accident. The 20 minutes I got wasn't really enough to get myself aclimatised to the controls :p

SomTervo

Hey y'all, quick question that I think I already know the answer to, but here it is. I have an adopted sister who is 10 and has only been speaking English for a little over two years.... this game is probably a bit too inaccessible for her, correct? She is conversationally fluent, smart, and is actually a great game player, but her reading skills are poor. I'm guessing that Zelda would probably be just a bit to difficult for her to play on her own without someone helping to explain/read things for her, is that correct?

Thanks.

Bonus question: What Switch launch games would be good for her? She has been saving her money for this and really really wants Splatoon, but I'm worried that she might not have much to play until then. 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, Skylanders?

From the sounds of things Zelda is gameplay-first, so she'd probably have fun just running around and getting in situations - but yeah she might struggle in the long run. I doubt there's too much text but it will be important text - stat modifiers and stuff.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Chinese. That's actually not a bad idea if it could help her with the game's systems. (HUD, item management, don't know much about the game but I assume there is a good deal of this in there)

Hmm don't think Chinese is supported on the Switch. So swapping between them might not be an option. But I really don't think the amount of text will be so great and necessary that she won't be able to play and enjoy the game. Sidequest and main story section might be more difficult as that's where most of the text will be, but simply exploring the world, understanding the gameplay and just having fun shouldn't be a problem.

These games are written to accommodate rather young players for the most part. Though generally native speakers of around 10. But I definitely think a Google translate type situation could work out. There are tons of people on GAF and elsewhere that learned second or third languages by playing games. A great game can be a great motivator and you won't find many really great games like Zelda with such a low bar of entry.

ckaneo

Thanks.

Yeah, but it depends how much she games/likes games. This game is supposedly on the harder side so probably not worth it.

1-2 Switch is a great family game but it's more minigame than actual game to me, snipperclips is cheap so might as well get it.

Caelus

You mean, a spoiler thread revealed a spoiler? What were you expecting?

Since none of the spoilers in that thread will be tagged or marked, could a mod change the title to indicate that. Still not sure why people are clicking on it, unless it's by accident.

As some people have been saying before, there are various type of spoilers. For example, I don't care about equipment spoilers, or wildlife/races inside the game and before page 6 the discussion focused just on that.

After page 6 there is a single untagged image that spoiled a big detail of the story.

jariw

No, not there. They asked if Link can wear green.

Ehh, english fansite reporting on a french interview? Not a completely reliable source. Should be easy to come up with another one though if there are several though.

Well, the traditional green tunic (without dye) would be such a minor thing to add, considering all other things Link apparently can wear in the game.

RedSwirl

Made it six minutes into one video before I closed it. Total media blackout now.

After reading one of the recent previews I am a bit concerned BOTW might be a bit too much like other open-world games, particularly with how you'll apparently be routinely clearing enemy camps and unlocking towers. From videos though it seems like Zelda is doing a lot of little things to set it apart from say, a Far Cry game. The survival elements might make it a lot more dynamic by bringing more factors into account like weather and time of day. Things like how you can ride any horse and horses can die indicates there might just be more possibilities in this game. All the different things you can do with the weapons sound really cool.

I do really hope though that you'll mainly find the camps, towers, and shrines through exploration and not being told where they are on a minimap.

Another huge difference some people might be overlooking is BOTW is the only sandbox game of this type I've seen that has a more colorful, cartoon art style. I think that alone actually makes it really stand out.

Also please for the love of god, don't hint at spoilers in thread titles.

I remember when the title of Portal 2's OT spoiled the ending for me :(

Also I hate this:

Spppppppppppppppppppoooooooiiiiiiiilllleeeeeer

You have absolutely no idea what the post is putting in spoilers, it could either be a tame one that you might be fine with, or something huge. Takes a few seconds to just label it lol
WHAT THE FUCK LOTUS I TRUST YOU??? HOW CAN U DO DIS TO THE COMMUNITY?????

Chaos17

I think we know crossed a line that it's just stupid that game isn't out if Nintendo can't contain these new leaks because it's not feeding at all the curiosity or the hype.

Bamboo 竹;231068671 said:
As some people have been saying before, there are various type of spoilers. For example, I don't care about equipment spoilers, or wildlife/races inside the game and before page 6 the discussion focused just on that.

After page 6 there is a single untagged image that spoiled in a big detail of the story.
Most people don't realize that spoiler tagged images don't work on Mobile so even when people try to be considerate mobile users still get screwed.

Kindekuma

Banned
WHAT THE FUCK LOTUS I TRUST YOU??? HOW CAN U DO DIS TO THE COMMUNITY?????

Lotus can never recover from this.

8Ie1G8l.jpg

Doesn't matter if it didn't do anything new, it copied the OOT formula and did it solidly while adding it's own flair.

Unlike WW that tried to focus on something new (More adventerous feeling, more character personality) and by doing that it let all the other parts of what makes a solid zelda game drop in quality. (Atrocious dungeons, which for a zelda game that's a big offense. Very big empty open world, bad pacing). I can respect it for what it tried to do at its time, but no more than that.

Wait how could the title of the Portal 2 OT spoil the ending? OTs go up before the game release.
Oops, it was actually a spoiler thread.

Portal 2 spoilers below:

It was called "The Portal 2 Spoiler Thread of Lunacy"

I remember thinking "why would they title it that? What an odd choice of words. What would the moon have to do with this game? I wonder if you can go to the moon?" So when that moment happened, it wasn't a moment of abject surprise and delight as it was intended. It was... "Oh. now I get the thread title. Kinda saw that coming..."

The lead up to that battle was amazing, the atmosphere, Ganon's transformation, and the reveal of the true form was amazing at that time. Not to mention the caption was just "GANON", where it was always "[boss's title] + [boss name]". It just screams "this is it, go for it". All that blew my 11 years-old mind.

The battle itself was kinda easy, though. I think all of the 3D Zelda's final battles are more symbolic rather than a true test of whatever you learned in the game.
I disagree, having just played Twilight Princess the final boss has FOUR forms that run the gamut of all the play styles you deal with through the game. You have the volleyball battle, then a battle in wolf form, a battle on horseback, and finally a legit hand to hand combat final fight.

Without spoiling anything, I will say I've encountered one shrine that you won't be able to access unless you're riding something other than a horse.
To be fair the trailers have shown Link sand surfing while being pulled by those sand walruses so it shouldn't be too much of a spoiler to know that. But thanks for not saying the animal type since there's clearly lots of stuff you can ride :D

I'm buying the Switch as a portable console. That dock thing can die.
What ah.. what are you gonna do with the dock? Gonna be a charging station or might you be lookin to sell it? o:

Super Zelda Galaxy?

Seriously, I could see a futuristic Zelda game (even moreso than this one) complete with sci-fi vehicles and space flight.
Well Aonuma has said he wants to see Link ride a motorcycle outside of Mario Kart so I've been hoping for a "futuristic" Zelda for a while now. Skyward Sword's "ancient robot" race and all the Shiekah Tech in BotW seems to point in that direction so I'm still hopeful!

Aonuma himself has said as much.
I'm really curious, wherever in the timeline BotW lands, if the multiple endings means another split in the timeline.

RedSwirl

It's starting to feel like, at best, this could be another Metal Gear Solid V: A Japanese game that takes a formula popular with western developers and improves upon it with better controls, more varied tools, and in general just a better gameplay foundation.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Since none of the spoilers in that thread will be tagged or marked, could a mod change the title to indicate that. Still not sure why people are clicking on it, unless it's by accident.
Since the thread reads the name of the game those who have interest in it would click on it regardless out of interest even before they read the full title, I know cause I did the same for xenoblade x, casually clicked on the spoiler thread without really thinking and one of the biggest spoilers of the game was front and center

I'm really curious, wherever in the timeline BotW lands, if the multiple endings means another split in the timeline.

Yeah multiple endings in a series with a crazy timeline seems like a mad idea. I wonder if one ending is considered canon or whether this will span multiple other timelines.

Realeza

Banned
It's starting to feel like, at best, this could be another Metal Gear Solid V: A Japanese game that takes a formula popular with western developers and improves upon it with better controls, more varied tools, and in general just a better gameplay foundation.

God I hope not. MGSV is insultingly boring.

Caelus

Since the thread reads the name of the game those who have interest in it would click on it regardless out of interest even before they read the full title, I know cause I did the same for xenoblade x, casually clicked on the spoiler thread without really thinking and one of the biggest spoilers of the game wad front and center

Yeah.. so by accident.

I've been posting spoilers in there willy-nilly but I acknowledge I've been inconsiderate, I'm not averse to seeing or discussing them but I'll start going back and tagging / hyperlinking the important ones.

But MGSV was repetitive as hell :/

In terms of pure mechanics potentially but MGSV didn't really know what to do with its brilliant gameplay. The mission structure clashed with the open world design and most objectives were repetitive and out right boring. Breath of the Wild is a game that embraces its open design and lets the player make their own adventure.

ckaneo

I dont think MGSV justified it's world though.

I would have much rathered they set up multiple intricate bases

If you didn't mix it up yourself ¯_(ツ)_/¯
The vast majority of missions involved watching an unskippable credits sequence, riding/driving through a big empty world until you got to your destination, sneaking your way through a base to extract someone and then running back to an extraction point. The gameplay mechanics are varied but the structure and pacing are repetitive as hell.

I thought Ground Zeroes had a better sandbox, The Phantom Pain's world didn't make any sense for what the gameplay was trying to achieve.

Top Bottom