• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Final boss was leaked but I will put a spoiler tag:
latest

Dremorak

Banned
I'm the same way guys. I can't stop watching videos, but dont want to be spoiled. I feel like I know so much about this game and yet so little. I wish I could go to that damn midnight launch and then call in sick the next day lol

Basically
spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler

You sonofa....

Coffinhal

I dont think MGSV justified it's world though.

I would have much rathered they set up multiple intricate bases

That's where the genius is, that so few saw. That's not a world you can explore or inhabit, there are few ressources, you drop in and out from an helicopter, there are huge distances between two points of interest....it all reinforces how hostile and overly vast the world you try to conquer is. In fact you can't conquer it. That's the political Kojima enters : it's an open-world that is anti-colonialist and anti-warmongering.

It wouldn't work with other games, it's purely linked to the context, the intention of the game author (because Kojima is one of the few game designers that can be identified as a true author in an AAA industry). He's using a genre and its specificities to turn them against the modern use of the open world genre (points of interests everywhere, conquest of new territories for ever etc)

I first read this analysis in a French critique and when I played the game it was a 100% accurate. You need to see the game that way and not through the usual open world criterias in order to understand why it is like that and how well it works compared to the intention it has. Just as would do with a film analysis that talks about cinematography, narrative structure, editing or sound design, always compared to what the director (and the technicians) intented to do.

The game may have other issues but the open world structure per say is not one of them in my opinion.

For instance, this is a good start to understand how BOTW's game design fits its aim, genre and view of what is a good game :

Zelda appears to justify its world through its adventure focus and absolute freedom to tackle the game as they see fit. While there is a Main story, Hyrule is basically one giant level that the player pieces and weaves around. In addition, the durability, weather and temperature systems force the player to vary up their approaches regularly to problems. Add in Nintendo's penchant for extremely creative scenario design and the rest is history.

Vibed

Can I ask, is the major spoiler in the other thread something
that has been theorized from most of the official media? Or entirely new?

That's where the genius is, that so few saw. That's not a world you can explore or inhabit, there are few ressources, you drop in and out from an helicopter, there are huge distances between two points of interest....it all reinforces how hostile and overly vast the world you try to conquer is. In fact you can't conquer it. That's the political Kojima enters : it's an open-world that is anti-colonialist and anti-warmongering.

It wouldn't work with other games, it's purely linked to the context, the intention of the game author (because Kojima is one of the few game designers that can be identified as a true author in an AAA industry). He's using a genre and its specificities to turn them against the modern use of the open world genre (points of interests everywhere, conquest of new territories for ever etc)

I first read this analysis in a French critique and when I played the game it was a 100% accurate. You need to see the game that way and not through the usual open world criterias in order to understand why it is like that and how well it works compared to the intention it has. Just as would do with a film analysis that talks about cinematography, narrative structure, editing or sound design, always compared to what the director (and the technicians) intented to do.

The game may have other issues but the open world structure per say is not one of them in my opinion.

For instance, this is a good start to understand how BOTW's game design fits its aim, genre and view of what is a good game :
Are you Hamish Black?

It's impossible to not see some of the Ghibli influence in the game and hearing Austin bring up how BotW has this warmth and the terror of a Ghibli film is what has me most excited.

I've been feeling that it seems like a Ghibli film since its reveal. That feeling has only gotten stronger as more has been revealed. Mainly Princess Mononoke.

Seeing all these BotW images makes me want to see some Ghibli films this week while waiting for the game. Might see Spirited Away which is my favorite Ghibli and Princess Mononoke which seems to have a major influence for the game.

ckaneo

Well I also think Kojima is a bad writer, so....

LordKano

But guys have you seen the spoiler video where
Link get laid by a goron after a long choice-based discussion, which ultimately leads to the true ending
??

I'm glad that I'm mostly in the dark when it comes to Cooking in this game. I think I got a pretty good idea of what it does, but for the most part I'm looking forward to experimenting with several different ingredients.

Speely

Banned
Link get laid by a goron after a long choice-base discussion, which ultimately leads to the true ending
??
Welp. *Deletes fan fiction final draft from computer.* This game really does have it all.

LordRaptor

That's the political Kojima enters : it's an open-world that is anti-colonialist and anti-warmongering.

I like MGSV, but that's basically pretentious bollocks.

I mean, you might as well say "Kojima is such a genius, he made a deliberately bad game to challenge the preconceptions that games should be fun, to reinforce the struggle that you must live through as the protagonist"

ie bollocks.

LordKano

I like MGSV, but that's basically pretentious bollocks.

I mean, you might as well say "Kojima is such a genius, he made a deliberately bad game to challenge the preconceptions that games should be fun, to reinforce the struggle that you must live through as the protagonist"

ie bollocks.

that's right tho
how dare you talk that way about Lord Hideo-sama

Plum

Link get laid by a goron after a long choice-based discussion, which ultimately leads to the true ending
??
Now we know what the Goron in the trailer meant with "Here it comes!"

I love kojima, but i think many fans try to put every decision of his as some grand scheme , especially in a game like MGS V, where the development of the game made it impossible to be finished and many plot threads and ideas were left unfinished. The story implies some sort of war happening in that area of the game, yet we never see anything other than patrolling units. The world of red dead redemption is hostile, you see people getting attacked by animals, the story of the characters show how harsh the wild west life could be, in mexico there are often civilians being executed by the army, the rebels trying to fight the army, and others.

I think that if kojima wanted to convey this feeling you described, we would notice it much more easily.

Top Bottom